Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic? Collectible? Special Interest? Just Old?

15678911»

Comments

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,026
    IIRC it was a 4.0 unit that put out 190 hp. They did use it until fairly recently, when it was ultimately replaced by the 3.7 OHC V-6. I'm not sure when, exactly, its last use was, but a co-worker of mine had a '99 Grand Cherokee with the inline 6.
  • stumack1stumack1 Posts: 56
    The 4.0 is still in the 2006 Wrangler...that will be its final appearance.

Rambler Typhoon 6
    RIP 1964-2006
  • Hi, Is there anyone who knows anything about: back in 1963 when you bought a new Ford Galaxie 500 you also was given a model car of the 1963 Ford Galaxie 500? I have one of the model cars and am wanting to see if I can find out how many were made and given away and maybe the value of this model. Thanks, sissydog
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,026
    I'm not sure, but I think it was actually pretty common in those days for the manufacturers to put out little scale plastic promotional models. If you bought a brand new car, I guess it could have been common for the salesman to give the new owner a promo for the kids.

I seem those little promo models for sale at the Carlisle PA swap meets. Seems like they were common on up through the late 70's, and then they started phasing them out. I have seen newer ones, but they're just not as common as they once were. One of my friends has a promo model of a Mopar LH car. I think it's an Eagle Vision, but can't remember now for sure.

I'd have no idea about value, but if you go on eBay and look around, I'm sure there would be something that might give you a ballpark idea.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,116
    Best thing to do is put it on eBay, put a high reserve on it so that it doesn't sell, see what it is bid up to, and contact that high bidder and sell it to him.

Or see if other similar models are for sale there. You won't get the same price as for the Mopar muscle car models unfortunately.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Thank you andre1969 and shiftright. Have a great weekend. sissydog
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,859
    I actually have one of those, a promotional model of a 63 Galaxie convertible. I've had several promo models over the years, I've sold most of them as I prefer European diecast cars. I don't know if production numbers exist for these models, but they are not particularly rare, and they do have some decent value for a toy car. They are worth much more if they are boxed. Color has a significant impact as well. I'd reference completeted ebay sales to get a sense of the market - and make sure condition and color are equal in your comparison.

And as others mention, some of the later musclecar promos are worth more, as well as some 50s cars. The mid 60s seem to be the most common.

EDIT - in fact, here's a pic of the Galaxie promo along with a 62 T-Bird

imageSee more Car Pictures at CarSpace.com
  • kplacerkplacer Posts: 94
    Back in the spring of '75 my dad bought a new car. He had a '74 Impala that was sucking back gas and was huge, really too big for city driving. We went to the local AMC dealer for the first time in my memory and they showed us two cars: a Hornet Sportabout, their wagon style, and a new Pacer that had come out only recently. I drove them both and there was quite a difference. The Pacer was much more GM-like inside, and was quieter and smoother, but it was more expensive. It was definitely wider than the Hornet. Dad ended up going for the Hornet, beige with a brown plaid interior with woven plastic upholstery or some such thing -- the interior was really the worst part of the car, quite primitive looking and very cheaply made with lots of exposed screwheads, moldings that didn't fit right, and a hard plastic tray running under the`dash. But I have to say, it was a great car to drive. The 258 six-cylinder moved it quite well and the car handled really well too. That may have been due to the Goodyear Polysteel tires it came with as much as anything.

It was pretty basic: auto, PS PB, AM radio, and a roof rack. I remember they had two on the lot: the one we bought, which originally had bias-ply tires, and a white one with a black interior, that had the Polysteels but no roof rack. Dad wanted the roof rack and the radials, so they swapped wheels and tires from the white car. The only problem we had was that the valve cover leaked oil almost from day one. When he took it in to get that dealt with, I was surprised that they replaced the valve cover with a different design. The one it had originally was very rectangular in shape at the top, while the new one was more rounded in that area.
15678911»
This discussion has been closed.