Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet/Geo Metro

Comments

• I appreciate the response I've recieved so far on this a/c question. I agree that all I would of had to do was spend $12 to recharge the system and go on with life. Thats what I would have normally done. But what bugged me, was that the system lost all it's freon in only a one year period of time. That I believe by any standard, is unusual. I know that freon does lose it's efficiency over time and you need to recharge the system now and then. But in such a short period of time should raise a red flag and cause some concern. Is this R-134a gas weaker than it's predecessor?.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    R-134a does tend to leak out at a faster pace than does the R-12. I believe it has to do with the higher pressure that R134a is under and the difficulty the seals have keeping that high pressure gas contained. But still, it should not leak out completely after only a year. A recharge every 2-3 years would be more normal.
  • occupant1occupant1 Posts: 408
    have the expansion valve checked, maybe it is leaking the freon out, then when it unexpands, the system closes back up. The expansion valve I believe is located near the evaporator.
  • 96metro96metro Posts: 2
    Hey,

I am looking for some aftermarket rims for my metro, prefferably 13" (so i dont have to worry about the speedo) but I cant find any nice looking ones.
    i need 13" 4 lug 4" from lug center to lug center

will rims off a '91 civic fit my metro?
    please e-mail me @ mreink8181@home.com
    thanks Jeff
  • I have a '93 Metro that is in excellent mechanical condition. It has what I have seen referred to in this message board as an "electric carburetor."

It runs fine for a month and then one day it stalls and quits and leaves me hanging, or I get in in the morning and it won't start. When I turn on the ignition I can hear the fuel pump pressurize the line. The engine turns over and it's getting big juicy sparks but it won't start. It appears to be flooding. Three times I've had it towed, and it starts just fine by the time it gets to the shop.

The last time it quit in front of the house, I let it sit for a couple of days. It still wouldn't start but I squirted starting fluid in the so-called "fuel-injector" and kept cranking it and cranking it as it started to fire until eventually it continued to run on its own. Drove it straight to the shop and it started just fine the next time they turned the key. They drove it everyday for a week. "It starts just fine." Supposedly they've replaced all the sensors, checked all electrical connections, but it's all just to "do something" because they can't find anything wrong.

I get it back home, drive it for a month and about the time I'm starting to rely on it again, it doe it again. It's "the car from hell." I'm ready to fire bomb it. It's sitting out front right now.

Strong cranking. Big sparks. Won't start. Any clues?
  • inuvikinuvik Posts: 131
    Jeff, I believe the bolt pattern on your metro is 4X100mm. So if your civic has the same bolt pattern they should fit. But I would go with 15" rim. Although I've posted this link before here is the link to my Metro with 14" rims.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/inuvik_nwt

• I just installed a set of Eagle Alloy rims on my '95 Metro. I kept the stock 13" size but went with a slightly wider/lower profile tire (165/70-13) in order to keep the gearing close to stock.

Even this small change drastically improved the handling. Not to mention the appearance.

And BTW the handling & ride of the '95 is light years ahead of my old trusty '91.

The wheels are size 13X5.5, and have a 4-1/2" bolt circle. I believe all Metro's/Swifts have the 4-1/2" pattern. I just measured across the bolt holes on the stock wheels to make sure of this.

Here is the link to the Type 024 Eagle wheel: http://www.americaneaglewheel.com/024.htm

HTH...........ed............'95 Metro Cpe 3-cyl 5-spd

• baveuxbaveux Posts: 175
    I own a geo 97 hatchback 3 cyl,5 speed.Bought new in feb.97.
    I have now 65000 miles,90 % highway,I changed the rad last month and the exaust system 4 month ago after suffering exaust leak during last winter (was temporarely fixed).I believe that it is a little early ,what do you think ?
  • OK, it's been awhile since I've visited this board.
    I've heard a lot of negative info on the automatics for the Metro. I've had both 5 speed and auto and here's the main difference.
    The automatic isn't all that bad. True, it will rob the engine some power and gas mileage and make you feel like it needs another gear to shift up to when doing 65 MPH or higher, but for a 3 cyl engine- it's not too bad. I would recommend (if auto is what you want), the 1.3 liter 4 cyl engine on the 1995 and later models. I own a 2000 Metro LSi auto and it feels pretty peppy! It's not a road burner- but much better than the 1994 (1.0 ltr), and earlier models.
    Oh, one other thing. It is noisy. The engine does rev due to the 3 speed transmission. The plus is you have more torque (on the 1.3 ltr), and the car moves quite well for it's size.
    Before settling on a automatic Metro, check other cars that come close to it's size (Honda, etc.). You might find a car that can get better gas mileage for an automatic. Mine gets a ho-hum 28-30 mpg. Definitely a stock market crash from the manual 42 mpg. Why did I get it? I wanted a hatchback, in blue, with a tach (nobody else had one). Also- I've owned Metros before and they have been very reliable. When Chevrolet said 2000 was to be the last year for retail sales on the Metro- I ordered one fully loaded! Never have regretted it since. I'm a happy owner!
    -Tom
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    Baveux, my '95 3-cyl 5-speed eats exhausts for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm on my 3rd muffler and 2nd cat. For the first 5 years of its life it was mostly an around town car and those short trips with lots of idling just had too much condensation in the exhaust I guess. Too bad the long emission system warrantly only applies to the original parts. I replaced the muffler just recently at Midas -- now my 1.0 litre engine car sounds like a performance Honda!

Other than the exhaust work, it is a great car. It has never left me stranded once. With nothing but a bit of pipe it it really loud but I bet I got that 55hp engine up to 60 or 65hp with no exhaust on it ;-)

It is my commuter car. I drive the snot out of it as my commute involves several turns out onto 80km/h roads (where people drive 100) so I usually shift at 4500RPM or higher but it still gets over 50mpg even driven like that.

I just put new Michelin Rainforce MX4 155R13 tires on it and it handles much better now, no more squealing tires. Why did I leave those OEM Goodyear Invicta's on so long? Oh well, they're gone now...

Harry
  • steve109steve109 Posts: 13
    In response to msg #470 about the "Service Engine Soon" (SES) light, my 1996 Geo Metro
    with only 33K miles on it had the "SES" light come on, too. My Geo, it seems, doesn't
    like to sit out in the rain, so after a rainstorm, the light comes on when I drive it. I disconnect the positive battery cable, and that clears the "SES" light. Kind of "re-booting" the cars
    computer sensors. Give that a try.
  • sheliahsheliah Posts: 1
    I purchased a 1993 Metro recently for $800 with 141,000 miles. The car is in excellent condition, but has an A/C problem. The A/C works wonderfully when it wants (and if you don't mess with the on-off switch). The A/C will fade in and out before it stops working. I have had the freon check and it is okay. Does anyone have any idea on what will cause the intermittent non-function? If the car sits overnight after the A/C has stopped working it will work the next day. It has my husband pulling out his hair. The kids and I us it as our run around car and he doesn't like having to listen to them complain about being hot, "just because dad can't find what is wrong with it."
  • inuvikinuvik Posts: 131
    Discussion your problem with my father, he seemed to think that there may be a problem with the clutch on the A/C compressor. When the car is cold the compressor clutch engages but after it warms up it starts to slip. Have you ever smelled anything like burnt brake lining? Hmm, hope this helps
  • Has anyone heard of any Metro web pages where they would have various forums?
  • I was just curious on how many mpg other people are getting in their 95' and newer metro's with the 3-cy engine.
  • i have a 96 with the 3 cyl, i get approx. 57mpg highway 50-55 city
    203800k on the car
    In Canada we use imperial gallons which are a different size than US gallons so you have to be careful when comparing.

I have a '95 3-cyl 5-spd Geo Metro. I am impatient and so are most of the people behind me so I usually drive the snot out of my car. The way to work is country roads with lots of pulling out from stop signs into fast traffic needing 4000-5000rpm shifting to avoid being rear ended. I still get about 5.5L/100km or so with all that revving, which translates to ~52mpg with our imperial gallons or around 43mpg or so with US gallons, if my calcs are correct. After years of driving like this, I still get what I consider to be very good mileage. The car still runs great, with only small things and brakes, exhaust and tires requiring replacement.

There is the Chevy & Geo site, http://www.chevyclub.com/cgc.htm. Membership costs money though and there isn't much there unless getting the membership shows you more.

Maybe our host Revka would start up a Geo Metro club for us here on Edmunds.

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Good idea! I forwarded your message onto our Owners Clubs host (Karen). It may take a couple days to get your club started. Once it's up and running, perhaps you can spread the word about the Chevy & Geo Metro club here. Happy Motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
    Hpulley in response to my post you stated that you already changed 3 exaust and 2 cat...I'm curious to know how much you paid for the Cat ?
    At canadian tire I can get the exaust pipe from the flange right (under the driver seat) including resonator and muffler for $105.00, but I'm afraid to hear how much it is for the cat ;-)
    Luckily I've only CHANGED 2 mufflers and 1 cat. I said I am ON my 3rd muffler and 2nd cat...

Anyway, I got the pipe from the exhaust manifold to the cat plus the cat replaced at my GM 'Good'wrench dealer for about $400 Can$ including labour. They didn't do a great job initially, as it took several free adjustments to stop things from banging around under there but I guess the price wasn't too bad and overall my experience with exhaust work has now been that it takes many tries to get it right, no matter where you go. I can dig through my service receipts for an exact parts description and price if you are interested (they're in my glove box).
    I've just looked at my warranty book and it is written that my catal.conv. is warranty for 8 years 130000km !!! While changing the oil today I felt a light exaust leaks at the joint right at the front of the cat.I'll drop by the dealership sometime this week to see what they will do about it .

This little sewing machine is my commuter car.150 km a day (Barrie Toronto)107000 km , 90% highway,so the running cold and short trip aren't applicable in my case,that just tell me that they put c..p material for the exaust system .Rad wasn't better 3 years and started to desintegrate, even if the coolant was changed after 2 years.

But I cannot complaint to much, this car have been reliable never left me stranded.

Btw how do you like the big Saturn ?
    My cat wasn't covered by the warranty as the exhaust fell off, almost right after the manifold. The long period exhaust warranty only applies when the cat itself fails, not when the connecting pipe fails. I don't know if the cat itself was bad but after mostly short trip driving (5km commute if that) it was no wonder the exhaust was shot, always lots of condensation coming from the engine. I now have a 26km commute both ways, about half highway, so I hope the current exhaust lasts longer though it is again banging around and rattling down there so I may have to go back to Midas for yet another adjustment (I thought they'd be better than my dealer for exhaust work but apparently not).

I'm still on my original radiator.

I love the big Saturn wagon (I don't like trunks, as you can tell). As you might imagine, it is much more comfortable than the Metro. The 25-35 minute trip to and from work is fine but 90 minute and longer trips in the Metro always left me feeling like I needed a massage and a couple of beers before I would feel OK while we do 5-6 hour trips (with stops of course) in the wagon no problem. The wagon with its nice firm seats, spacious interior, automatic tranny with cruise control, A/C, 8 speaker CD is quite a luxury vehicle after driving the Geo for so long. The Geo gets 1.5 to 1.75 times the mileage of course (though the wagon's 4-banger still gets decent mileage) but Monday morning is a bit sad after a weekend of driving the nice big wagon (my wife drives it during the week). Oh well, the little 5-speed is still lots of fun to drive and for the price it is and has been a great little car. I really couldn't justify driving such a big vehicle to work by myself -- I hate seeing all the one-passenger SUVs and minivans so when my Metro dies I'll get something else small.
    My exhaust saga continues. My heat shield was rattling like heck and then fell off. I picked it up and it looks fine so the 4 fasteners must have rusted off. It sounds much better without that freakin' thing zinging away but I wonder if I will burn the bottom of my car without it. Will I not notice it, will it warm my feet or will it ruin my tranny?

I've got the service manual but the exhaust section doesn't specifically mention stuff about the heat shield, other than to say that if it isn't tightened it will be noisy (no kidding!). I'm going to get the 'official' answer from my dealer but I wonder if anyone here has run without a heat shield for a while and if so, what results they had?
    The dealer said 'unofficially' don't worry about it. You can't get one separately, as it is part of the cat/resonator assembly. I'm not ready to shell out for another cat just yet so until that rusts out I guess that's how it will be. If any of you have experience that says otherwise, please let me know.

I like road salt when it is icy out but when watching my car fall apart I don't like it so much!
  • my parents have two metros, a 94 geo and 00 chevy. both are white two door 5 speeds. the 94 has 111k miles and the 00 56k. both have had no problems but then again with 3 cylinders no power windows, locks, steering, mirrors, radio, what can go wrong? the 2000 doesn't even have and air conditioner and to cut corners even more chevy/suzuki didn't even put a light switch for the passenger door, so if you open the passenger door at night the interior light won't come on. how cheap is that?
    I had an exaust leak at the catalytic conv.My geo is a 1997 3 cyl.I recall when I noticed the leaks that the cat was still cover under the emission warranty. Since you never know I went to my dealership for a free exaust inspection and I mention the waranty.They werent sure and they asked me to wait after the insp.for an estimate.
    Beleive it or not ,they came back telling me that GM will foot the bill,all the bill,I wont have to pay 1 cents,not a bolt a spring a gasket will be charged zip 0. Total cost of that job $1300.00 Canadian thats crazy...
    They replaced the whole section from the exaust manifold to the flange located under the driver seat.The only thing not replaced was the oxygen sensor,they saved it.No need to say that I will use the money saved for Christmas !!
    BTW merry Christmas to all of you
    Anyone put snows on their Metro? I used to have a 5-15 minute commute with speeds of at most 50km/h which was fine with all-seasons but this year I had to get a new job so I now have a longer commute at 80-100km/h and I'm thinking some snows might be good.

I just put new Michelin Rainforce MX4s on the car this summer and I think they're really good in dry and wet (too bad X Ones don't come in 155/80R13). I'll probably try them in the snow but if they aren't any good, I'll likely get a new set of rims and some Artic Alpins -- other suggestions are welcome!

It seems a bit silly to be buying new rims and snows at this point but I do hope to get at least 2-3 more winters out of the car (4-5 would be nice but might be pushing my luck) so I expect that I'll get decent use out of a set of snows if I need them.

Harry
    You should be ok with your Michelin.I am using 4 season tires on my geo and I commute from Barrie (snow belt) to Toronto (75k).I never had any kind of problem,you adjust your driving to the condition.

I used winter tires on my other cars in the past,and yes its better to have winter tires in winter but there is no winter in southern Ontario ;-) ask a guy from Québec city he can talk about it ;-)
    It is 17 degrees in KW today so I don't know why I have snows on my mind.

I will definitely give the Rainforce MX4s a chance in the snow before I buy any Arctic Alpins.

Thanks for the comments.
  • nick29nick29 Posts: 19
    Just put these tires on the car "1999 model" a few weeks ago. I still cant believe it is the same car! Rides like a normal car and looks much, much, much better. Toyo 800 ultra 185 70 R13 i think. The very largest in this series of the 13" anyway.