Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet/Geo Metro

Comments

• According to http://www.autonews.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+autonews.nab.ShowArchiveArtical?id=266913&type=archive&query=YGM-1

Following the timeline laid out in the first 3 paragraphs, the Metro replacement will be seen no sooner than 2004.

H.
  • I'd be plenty happy with a 1.3 liter hatchback Esteem (Baleno), or why not bring back the old 1989-1994 Metro/Swift which is STILL sold in Japan and the UK?

I'd also want to have a standard transmission. Seem a 5-speed is listed as standard equipment on the 2001 fleet model, but automatic is a REQUIRED option. Guess I have to stick to used models for awhile. Wonder if the 2001 Swift offers a 5-speed? I almost got a GREAT deal a few months ago on a blue 2000 Swift GA 5-speed but they doubled the down payment on me. Hmm...I might be forced into buying used cars forever...
  • The Suzuki (Japan) English language site has the old Swift, and the Baleno. The Suzuki (Japan) Japanese language site has the new Swift and the Cultus (no Baleno).

I would assume the English language page is outdated, and that the Cultus is the current model. Or that Suzuki makes some "export-only" models. If the 2001 Esteem corresponds to the Baleno, then it's still in production in Japan (at least for the U.S. market).

The site is http://www.suzuki.co.jp/ , and you can click directly to the Cultus from http://www.suzuki.co.jp/dom4/lineup/frame.htm . No Cultus hatchback.

H.
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    Friends, post #342 has been hidden because it contains a link that skews our screen size. To read it, just click on "Hidden." Thanks!

carlady/host
  • Hey folks, my wife's Metro is still in the shop, like it has been since August 14th. Whee, big fun! In the Service Manager's own words, "This car has MAJOR problems."

This time they replaced the gas tank and then found that all the fuses had blown! Well gee-whiz.

Let's review...

#1 Check gas cap (duh!)
    #2 Replace Engine Control Module
    #3 Replace major wiring system and solinoids
    #4 Replace gas tank and do repair to fuel line
    #5 Replace fusebox

So yeah we're in lemon law territory, however there's two problems. #1, GM refuses to buy the car back until the Service Manager clearly states that the vehicle is "unfixable". Apparently having "major problems" does not equate to unfixable, however in further reflection I'd beg to know what exactly "unfixable" is without having been in a major accident.

#2 We contacted an attorney here in Glendale who specializes in lemon cases, and from what we told him he was almost positive that we had a case and we'd win. However, we'd need a $1700 down payment for his attorney fees. Now, upon victory GM would pay off all of our legal fees under the lemon law, however we do not have $1700 to throw around in the first place.

So we're stuck with the lemon Metro. We'll probably be getting it back in a few days, and, assuming the "Service Engine Soon" light doesn't come back on, we're going to head straight for the Ford dealership and try to trade it in. We already spoke to a rep who said they can buy out the lease, especially since my wife only owes about $2500. She's got her eyes on a dirt-metallic Focus ZX3 with the sunroof and 16" six-spoke wheels.

I'll keep you guys updated!
  • Remember, your wife owes $2500 PLUS the residual so she in fact is upside down in the lease, because in a lease you are ALWAYS upside down against what the car is worth. Also expect them to deduct for the lemon value and the miles no matter how many there are. You are better off with the $1700 attorney fee then paying off the car's value plus $2500 plus a new Focus. You'll end up owing twice what the Focus is worth. Or wait a little while longer because that Metro is certainly unfixable and it sounds like the dealer is just throwing parts at it, wasting your time and his, trying to mooch off as much warranty pay as possible. It may be time to call your zone office if you haven't already, call your BBB, and if all else fails take the car to another GM dealership and start all over, maybe the techs at another dealer will have maintained a double-digit IQ long enough to get it fixed right.
  • I hear ya, we've been to the Ford dealership and found out just what kind of ridiculous debt we'd be getting into due to negative equity. Yikes!

Well we got the Metro back on Wednesday night, and when they gave it to us we heard a really loud "scrape" coming from the driver's side door as the serviceman opened it. We checked it out, and for some god unknown reason the driver's side door had been miss-aligned and would not even close all the way. We complained to the manager and they kept it overnight again. Thursday morning we picked it up, the door was fixed. Of course we had no explanation as to how it had been miss-aligned in the first place!

The engine light is no longer coming on so "apparently" the problem has been fixed. Still, I don't feel any overwhelming sense of reliability from the Metro. It seems as if a suit will hold no water now, and trading it in as you pointed out would be an exercise in debt expansion. However, my wife is still fed up with her car, not only due to the numerous failures over the last 18 months but just the fact that she's stuck in a tiny 2-door car with no a/c and 55 horsepower while lugging around a new baby up and down L.A. mountains in the late summer heat. Yeah I know, then why did we get the car? Well I could go into detail as to what led up to getting the Metro, but I'll suffice to say the car we had broke down, we needed cheap, fuel-efficient transportation and we needed it quick. We didn't want to have to worry about the pitfalls of a used vehicle so we went with a new Metro. Oh, and no we didn't plan on getting pregnant. So there you go, our saga...

I'll let you know what happens as it happens!
  • make sure the check engine light comes on before you start the car. If it doesn't, then your service people just disconnected the bulb and your car is still broken...it should come on with ignition on and engine not running, then go out when you start it.
  • so you leased the Metro for 36 months, still owe $2500 plus the residual, and it has no air? Is it broken or does it simply not have air? If it had air I would be more interested. So how much do you owe total?
  • The dealership said the exact same thing about the a/c, lol. No it never had a/c, it was a base model Metro. I know, I know, whenever we tell people that they look at us like we're crazy!

Anyway, it's all over now, my wife went back to the Ford dealership yesterday and struck a deal. It wasn't ideal, but I have to admit it was not bad at all for getting out of a half-done 36 month lease into a car worth more than twice as much.

Here's what she got:

2000 Ford Focus SE 4-door, 5-speed, Metallic Autumn Orange, all-Black interior, spoiler, fog lamps, 2.0L 16v Zetec engine (as opposed to the 8v split port), floor mats, cassette, a/c, tachometer, pdl, pw, pm, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, 15" alloy wheels.

The MSRP was about $15,500 on the car, and originally they wanted at least $2300 down to pay off her car and help get the Focus plus $391 to compensate for the negative equity. We dogged them out for hours, and finally we landed at $350 down and $350 per month on a 36 month lease. That's something like $13,500 total for all payments and the residual will be about $7900. I know, it's kind of high for a lease but the sheer joy my wife has with her new car more than makes up for it.

You know the funny thing is my wife was really sad to see her Metro go! After all the breakdowns, she really loved that little car!

- alex
  • residual on the new focus was about $7500, so total is something like $21,000 for a $15,500 car, yeah that's high but it's the price you pay sometimes. Actually even though my car was cheaper the percentage was worse, so in ratio she got a better deal than I did.
  • occupant1occupant1 Posts: 408
    due to circumstances beyond my control I was unable to replace my Cavalier with a Geo Metro. I purchased a white 1995 Ford Aspire with 75K, cold air, and a 5-speed, for $1300. I got it dirt cheap because it was a flood title and it had been wrecked a few times in the past. But I care not, because it runs like a new one and needs little to be perfect. New tires, new brakes, new clutch, good paint, and it was cheap. Back to courier deliveries for me! And I am saving up for a Metro.
  • I drive a Chev Metro all day delivering auto parts . It is almost the worst car I've ever drove. The trans sucks its got a 3 speed auto, I would much rather have a 5 speed stick. The engine sucks I get so sick of hearing it roar over everyting and is sooo slugish. It's got a/c too and it works it just slows the car and make it more under powered yet. To make it worse I live in northern Wisconsin and when it snows it makes for one hell of a ride no traction at all.
  • inuvikinuvik Posts: 131
    Although I would agree that with a automatic transmission the Metro is a slug it is a totally different car with the 5 speed. I absolutely love my Metro. It's the only car I buy for my 121 mile a day commute. I buy them used on the cheap and rack up the miles to 175,000 or so, sell and start all over again. I have never been stranded by a Metro and I think that they are great in the snow. I have been through snow halfway up the front bumper with no problems. In fact in 1988 one of my old Metro's (a '87 Sprint) with a just a set of snow tires went up a hill with no problem that my 1986 Mazda B2200 pickup couldn't get more than a couple of hundred feet up (I had 500 lbs of ballast in the bed and it was chained up!). So don't be dissing all Metro's because you are driving the hell out of a company vehicle that probably has not been maintained properly at all. But amazingly enough, the Metro keeps taking all of that punishment.
  • 1998 Suzuki swift (same as metro), had the car for six months. Problem is that when I let my foot off of the gas petal sharply the car jerks, this is noticeable when in second and third gear, more than 4th or 5th gear, although it does happen in those gears also. It can jerk four or more times. Took it to the dealer who checked it out and stated that there is nothing wrong, but that is the nature of the beast, because it has direct drive? Car is a four cyl, 5 speed. It is not enjoyable to drive. I have driven numerous metros and they do not have this problem. Does anyone else have a swift that does this? Any suggestions? I am so disappointed that I will sell this for $3,900. If I ease off the gas petal the vehicle does not jerk, but that is not practical some of the time. Car is located in Fla.
  • Hello, this is my first time doing this, so I'm
    not quite certain how it works. Just wanted to
    ask
    anyone if they have ever had problems with a Geo
    Metro's wheel bearings. I have had my Geo for 6
    years (1994), and the front wheel bearings both
    inner/outer and left/right, go out about once a
    year. It cost about $250-$350 to replace each
    time. I was curious if anyone else has
    experienced
    the same problem, I want to know if it's just my
    car or other Geo's that this occurs on. Thanks.
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Posts: 1,308
    I don't know if you saw my post in the topic you created, but do you have stock wheels, or aftermarket wheels?
  • occupant1occupant1 Posts: 408
    I'll ask the same question, are you running the factory 12" wheels or no? A fellow Aspire owner fried his wheel bearings once a year because he ran 13x7 wire wheels. Even a 5mm change in offset can cause premature bearing failure, as can excessive vibrations and loads. If your alignment is off excessively, the load on your bearings changes drastically. Also maybe switch brands of bearings. Or use a better quality high-temp wheel bearing grease.
    I've been running 14"X6" rims on my '94 Metro for 3/4 year now (24,000) miles and have not had any problems yet. Most of my 121 mile a day commute is spent at 65 MPH or higher. I'm running 185/60 HR 14 tires. If I had to do it all over again I think I would go with a 185/55 HR 14. They are about a 1/2" shorter in height. My current tires never rub but it did reduce my final drive ration by about 7%. This reduced my RPM's but also makes the car a little more gutless. When you have a big whopping 1.0 Litre (61 Cubic Inch) powerplant less acceleration is not that optimal.
    The sentence in the previous post should read:

My current tires never rub but it did reduce my final drive ratio by about 7%.