Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet/Geo Metro

Comments

• baveuxbaveux Posts: 175
    I've just looked at my warranty book and it is written that my catal.conv. is warranty for 8 years 130000km !!! While changing the oil today I felt a light exaust leaks at the joint right at the front of the cat.I'll drop by the dealership sometime this week to see what they will do about it .

This little sewing machine is my commuter car.150 km a day (Barrie Toronto)107000 km , 90% highway,so the running cold and short trip aren't applicable in my case,that just tell me that they put c..p material for the exaust system .Rad wasn't better 3 years and started to desintegrate, even if the coolant was changed after 2 years.

But I cannot complaint to much, this car have been reliable never left me stranded.

Btw how do you like the big Saturn ?
  • hpulley4hpulley4 Posts: 591
    My cat wasn't covered by the warranty as the exhaust fell off, almost right after the manifold. The long period exhaust warranty only applies when the cat itself fails, not when the connecting pipe fails. I don't know if the cat itself was bad but after mostly short trip driving (5km commute if that) it was no wonder the exhaust was shot, always lots of condensation coming from the engine. I now have a 26km commute both ways, about half highway, so I hope the current exhaust lasts longer though it is again banging around and rattling down there so I may have to go back to Midas for yet another adjustment (I thought they'd be better than my dealer for exhaust work but apparently not).

I'm still on my original radiator.

I love the big Saturn wagon (I don't like trunks, as you can tell). As you might imagine, it is much more comfortable than the Metro. The 25-35 minute trip to and from work is fine but 90 minute and longer trips in the Metro always left me feeling like I needed a massage and a couple of beers before I would feel OK while we do 5-6 hour trips (with stops of course) in the wagon no problem. The wagon with its nice firm seats, spacious interior, automatic tranny with cruise control, A/C, 8 speaker CD is quite a luxury vehicle after driving the Geo for so long. The Geo gets 1.5 to 1.75 times the mileage of course (though the wagon's 4-banger still gets decent mileage) but Monday morning is a bit sad after a weekend of driving the nice big wagon (my wife drives it during the week). Oh well, the little 5-speed is still lots of fun to drive and for the price it is and has been a great little car. I really couldn't justify driving such a big vehicle to work by myself -- I hate seeing all the one-passenger SUVs and minivans so when my Metro dies I'll get something else small.
    My exhaust saga continues. My heat shield was rattling like heck and then fell off. I picked it up and it looks fine so the 4 fasteners must have rusted off. It sounds much better without that freakin' thing zinging away but I wonder if I will burn the bottom of my car without it. Will I not notice it, will it warm my feet or will it ruin my tranny?

I've got the service manual but the exhaust section doesn't specifically mention stuff about the heat shield, other than to say that if it isn't tightened it will be noisy (no kidding!). I'm going to get the 'official' answer from my dealer but I wonder if anyone here has run without a heat shield for a while and if so, what results they had?
    The dealer said 'unofficially' don't worry about it. You can't get one separately, as it is part of the cat/resonator assembly. I'm not ready to shell out for another cat just yet so until that rusts out I guess that's how it will be. If any of you have experience that says otherwise, please let me know.

I like road salt when it is icy out but when watching my car fall apart I don't like it so much!
  • my parents have two metros, a 94 geo and 00 chevy. both are white two door 5 speeds. the 94 has 111k miles and the 00 56k. both have had no problems but then again with 3 cylinders no power windows, locks, steering, mirrors, radio, what can go wrong? the 2000 doesn't even have and air conditioner and to cut corners even more chevy/suzuki didn't even put a light switch for the passenger door, so if you open the passenger door at night the interior light won't come on. how cheap is that?
    I had an exaust leak at the catalytic conv.My geo is a 1997 3 cyl.I recall when I noticed the leaks that the cat was still cover under the emission warranty. Since you never know I went to my dealership for a free exaust inspection and I mention the waranty.They werent sure and they asked me to wait after the insp.for an estimate.
    Beleive it or not ,they came back telling me that GM will foot the bill,all the bill,I wont have to pay 1 cents,not a bolt a spring a gasket will be charged zip 0. Total cost of that job $1300.00 Canadian thats crazy...
    They replaced the whole section from the exaust manifold to the flange located under the driver seat.The only thing not replaced was the oxygen sensor,they saved it.No need to say that I will use the money saved for Christmas !!
    BTW merry Christmas to all of you
    Anyone put snows on their Metro? I used to have a 5-15 minute commute with speeds of at most 50km/h which was fine with all-seasons but this year I had to get a new job so I now have a longer commute at 80-100km/h and I'm thinking some snows might be good.

I just put new Michelin Rainforce MX4s on the car this summer and I think they're really good in dry and wet (too bad X Ones don't come in 155/80R13). I'll probably try them in the snow but if they aren't any good, I'll likely get a new set of rims and some Artic Alpins -- other suggestions are welcome!

It seems a bit silly to be buying new rims and snows at this point but I do hope to get at least 2-3 more winters out of the car (4-5 would be nice but might be pushing my luck) so I expect that I'll get decent use out of a set of snows if I need them.

Harry
    You should be ok with your Michelin.I am using 4 season tires on my geo and I commute from Barrie (snow belt) to Toronto (75k).I never had any kind of problem,you adjust your driving to the condition.

I used winter tires on my other cars in the past,and yes its better to have winter tires in winter but there is no winter in southern Ontario ;-) ask a guy from Québec city he can talk about it ;-)
    It is 17 degrees in KW today so I don't know why I have snows on my mind.

I will definitely give the Rainforce MX4s a chance in the snow before I buy any Arctic Alpins.

Thanks for the comments.
  • nick29nick29 Posts: 19
    Just put these tires on the car "1999 model" a few weeks ago. I still cant believe it is the same car! Rides like a normal car and looks much, much, much better. Toyo 800 ultra 185 70 R13 i think. The very largest in this series of the 13" anyway.
    Are you using the stock rims with those tires or wider rims? I considered getting some 175/70R13s instead of 155/80R13s when I replaced mine but wasn't sure if they'd work and it seemed silly to put expensive new rims on a '95.
    My car was hesitating (fish-biting, according to the service advisor) so I checked my service records and noticed that they forgot to change my plugs at 50K! I was still on my original plugs... Anyway, with a tune-up and new plugs the engine is MUCH better. 55hp isn't much to start with but I must have been down below 50.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    There is a 1991 Metro convertible with automatic on EBay for sale. It's got like 80K on it, automatic, AC, driver air bag, and the bid is something like $600. I would use this car solely for commuting (35 miles a day one way, mostly highway). Does it sound like a good deal, even though the car is 10 years old? Thanks for any advice.
    Will you be able to inspect and drive this car before you buy it?

Convertibles of any sort, even Geo Metros, tend to be popular so that price looks too good to be true. Be sure to check the brakes, tires, exhaust, and maintenence records to make sure you won't be in for a surprise. 3-cyl or 4-cyl? 3-cyl with auto and A/C will be underpowered.

I still see a lot of the old Metros on the road so they can last a fair while but ask yourself how many years you expect from the car.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    Thanks for your help. Actually, the bid on that car went up to like $1000 overnight. No way, not happening for that much money and a 1991. It did have 3cyl (as did all Metros before 1995), auto., and AC. I was to use the car for commuting only, so I didn't care about it being underpowered.

I am trying to (desperately) find a good used car with automatic and air to commute in (~100 miles a day, mostly highway) and was thinking about a Metro. From what I have heard, they last forever and are great on gas. That's enough reason for me to get one. It's just hard to find a good car, cheap, though.
    Yes, it is tough to get good cheap used cars. I had to laugh when I bought mine out of its lease. The lady at the dealer tried to get me to return it and buy a new one, saying that the buy out value was too high. She said you could buy one for less used but almost 3 years later I still see '95 Metros asking for that much or more (which lots more mileage usually by this time) so I'm glad I kept it.

It is starting to need repairs now but I hope this year's work means next year won't need much (fingers crossed).

Good luck in finding a good used Metro. A friend has been searching for over a year for the right deal to replace the old one he rolled. I think the gas he has wasted driving his huge old farm truck around looking would have made a decent down payment on some of the cars he has passed over by now...
  • Hello,
    I just purchased a 96' Metro with 106000 miles on it. I noticed that it didn't quite have the power that it should so I tested the compression and sure enough two of the cylinders were 175 psi and one was 130. I pulled the head off and one of the exhaust valves was burnt. I did a valve job and rings while I was at it. Now I have it back together and the compression is about 165 psi in all three cylinders. Thats better but still a little low. The shop manual says there all supposed to be about 200 psi. Will the compression go up after it breaks in? Why would have one of the exhaust valves burnt so early in the first place? Anyone else have problems with this?
  • I LOVE MY METRO,IT'S A 96 MOD. RED,3CYL. 5 SPEED
    I BOUGHT IT NEW,JUST PUT A NEW BATTERY,EXLAUST,TIRES"165-80S"ON IT,IT HAS 55000
    MILES ON IT,EXCEPT FOR OIL CHANGES AND TRANS.OIL
    CHANGES"MOBLE1 SYN."NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.52MPG.
    BUT NOW I'M IN NEED OF A TRUCK AND HATE TO "GIVE"
    IT TO A "DEALER"THEY WOULD JUST STICK IT ON A
    USED LOT FOR 2995.00 NO RESPECT FOR IT AT ALL.
    IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE IT IT'S YOURS FOR 1900.00
    I PUT 185/70S ON IT FOR A WHILE BUT IT ACTUALLY
    LOST POWER,THE 165/80S GAVE IT MORE POWER GO FIGURE?JUST A NOTE FOR OTHERS LOOKING FOR MORE POWER.
  • toyotatedtoyotated Posts: 11
    Four and a half years ago I needed a car that was good on gas. I told a friend of mine I was considering buying a Geo Metro and he laughed at me. "Don't get that," he said. In spite of his lack of encouragement, I bought a SALVAGED 1992 Geo Metro with 88,000 miles on it. Out the door I paid $2,100. Fast forward to today and it now has 169,000 miles on it and is still running strong. I've had to do very little maintenance work on it. The biggest jobs were the timing belt (3 times) and the water pump (only once). Other than that it's just the normal stuff (tires, brakes, tune up, etc.). I've even driven it (at different times of course) with no oil, no radiator coolant, no transmission fluid and with the radiator fan tearing into the fabric of the battery tray -- YET IT KEEPS ON GOING! However, I have been saving money all this time and am now faced with the dilema of getting rid of it and buying something completely different, keeping it and fixing whatever it will need in the near future (transmission?) or buying a newer model Metro with low miles. I like the car, it's been great, but a change might be nice too. I could use a little more cargo space, but I'd have to give up having an inexpensive, economical, low maintenance car. Regardless of what I choose to do, the Geo Metro has been a good car for me and I don't regret purchasing it one bit.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for sharing your ownership experience. Sounds like your Geo Metro has been serving you well. I'm sure others that pass through here will appreciate your notes. We look forward to hearing more.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards