Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daewoo Lanos, don't believe Edmunds

sichangsichang Posts: 1
edited April 2 in Daewoo
There is a new Korean car company here it he US.
They are Daewoo. I checked out the review of the
Daewoo Lanos hatchback on this website because they
are one of the only places to even list Daewoo
cars as a choice! I was disturbed when I read the
report though. They wonder why anyone would risk
buying this car when they have no idea of its
reliability. They suggest that buying a Honda
civic, or a Used Integra (?!) would be a better
choice. The writers obviously didn't know that
Daewoo had been on sale for a number of years
already in such large markets as Britain and
Australia. The cars have been top sellers and have
garnered glowing reviews from the media and public
in those areas. In Korea, the Daewoo is quickly
eclipsing Hyundai as best sellers as well. Why?
The Daewoo Lanos offers for 13,000 what one would
have to pay about 16,000 for a comprobably equipped
civic, corolla etc. I know I tried looking. For
about 13,000 you can get a civic or corolla with
auto, and that's it. Maybe A/C if you are lucky,
forget about any power accessories or ABS. The
Daewoo Lanos for about the same price offers auto,
power windows, doorlocks, ABS, AC, CD player, dual
airbags etc. What got me was the power door locks
and windows. You can't even get those on the civic
or corolla unless you step up to the LX, or DX
models respectively. Also you the Lanos looks
fantastic! The back looks very civic-esque while
the front looks strongly reminiscent of the BMW 323
hatchback. By the way I don't work for Daewoo or
anything like that. I myself own a Daewoo Nubira,
and my girlfriend owns a Lanos, and we both
absolutely love them! She purchased her Lanos for
about 13,400 with All power accessories, dual
airbags, auto, ac, cd player, alloy wheels etc.
Also remember that all Daewoo cars come with 3,
36,000 mile scheduled maintenance for free! Also
24 hour roadside assistance for the same period and
an excellent basic warrantly. Now if the Daewoo
were such a unreliable car as the editors of
Edmonds would want you to believe, why would they
back their cars up with such a tremendous warranty?
Pretty much that all automotive journalist are
infactuated with Japanese cars, and for good reason
too, but in my opinion over analyze any problem a
non-japanese competitor might have, and not
accentuate the values they might. For further info
about the Daewoo models check out:
http://www.daewoous.com and if anyone has any
questions, I would be happy to answer them about
our Daewoos! sichang@ic.sunysb.edu

Comments

• mznmzn Posts: 727
    Great topic, sichang! Let's hear some more about this inexpensive hatchback.

carlady/host
  • it's a nice looking car, but no variable valve timing. just variable air intakes.

nevertheless, i think the lanos will be a factor in the hatchback market.
  • Does anyone have any input as to whether they think the Daewoo will be around for a while. My daughter is interested in buying the Nubira Hatchback...there is only one dealer around which makes it difficult to negotiate the price...she needs me to co-sign, and I don't know anything about them.
    Well, bunnybunns, I think you've raised an interesting question. The 1998 was the first model year in the US. I would take a look at the availability of dealerships for service and support where you are and where you foresee the car being driven and then factor that into your decision.

Daewoo owners, have you had any trouble finding a place for service?

carlady/host
  • I own a 1999 Daewoo Leganza CDX (5,000 miles / 3 Months old) and I've had just a few isolated problems with my car. The dealership has been outstanding so far, though I'm a little unsure about their "one-price, no haggle" policy that is similar to Saturns. My first problem what that the steering pump was making a small whining noise when making u-turns or at lock-to-lock on the steering wheel. The second problem was with the transmission (Which they are working on right now). I believe the computer needs an update on the software or something. The Lock-up torque converter seems to be that it was not able to lock. I will make sure to update everyone on what it was exactly. I've checked with many Daewoo owners, and my problems seem to be isolated and not widespread.

I believe (and hope) Daewoo will make it in the US. I know it will take probably 4-5 years for them to gain some ground, and I hope they know it.
    I see them as a developing company just as Honda did in the late 80's. Soon, Daewoo will add new engines and transmissions that are clearly more refined. MY2000 Leganza will have a Porsche-designed I-6 Engine in it! Who knows what the Nubira and Lanos get, but it's sure to be good.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
  • holahola Posts: 9
    Hi!

I know that Daewoo is established in the foreign market, and am wondering if you by chance know if there are any performance editions of their cars abroad. (Maybe they could put one of those engines in their cars here!?) Anyway, do you like the way your car drives? What kind of gas mileage does it actually get? Is it automatic or stick?

Just wondering because I am interested in getting a family car (for my expanding family), and would like to get something different, that not everybody owns. Plus, you get a lot of equipment for a low price in these Daewoos--am I right?

Anyway, if you could answer a few of my questions I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Paul (Owner of Red '95 VW GTi VR6)
  • You are absoulutely correct about the low price with a lot of equipment. The Leganza is actually a little too luxurious for my taste. I wanted a car that was sporty and practical (Sedan). The Leganza, while having adequte power, may not please some who like to rev their cars up when they're on the highway or in the countryside. However, the power is fine for me, I'm actually impressed on the Low and High-end power it has compared to the Nissan Altima and Honda Acord (and the like...). I know one thing for sure, you WILL NOT ever find a car in this price range that has a ride like the Leganza. My brother was test-driving a Acura 3.2TL last week (I was with him), and my Leganza is quieter and has less wind & road noise. This car is comparable to the Lexus ES300 in terms of Noise & Harshness. However, there is a little too much Vibration present in the car (It doesn't make noise, but you can feel it in the steering wheel a little). I get about 24-25 City and 28-29 Highway for gas mileage which doesn't seem too bad. The one thing that I have noticed, since I used to drive Honda's is that with the Daewoos, they have a lot more power in the low end. With my last Honda, it always felt like it was gasping for air or gas when leaving a stoplight until the V-Tec kicked in (Maybe that's why my Leganza doesn't claim to have gas mileage that's as high as the Honda Accord?). Oh and Automatic Transmission is standard on the two higher trim levels of the Leganza (SX, CDX).

Hope this helps, go test drive a Daewoo just to see how different they are. (Money and Luxury wise...)

Thanks,

Ryan

If you are thinking about buying a Daewoo Leganza, hold off a year. I have been told by corprate (I do work for them) that MY2000 they will have an upgraded Leganza that has a I-6 Porsche-designed engine in it. It should also be tuned more for the "American" market.
  • holahola Posts: 9
    Sounds good! I went and test drove one. They are very attractive-both interior and exterior! Unfortunately, the one I tested was CDX (automatic) and coming from my 172HP V6 I just wasn't impressed. But then again, I wasn't at all impressed by the Accord and Camry--I actually like the Leganza quite a bit better (the Accord and Camry are just so boring!!!) I am currently comparing the Leganza to a Passat GLS. The Passat GLS is faster (I like the way it drives quite a bit better), and I like its interior as much as the Leganza, but the Leganza's exterior is more attractive and is better equipped.

Well, it's something to think about!

Paul
  • Does anyone have any safety info on the Daewoos??? I couldn't find any info on either safety OR reliability...Thanks
    Have you taken a look at the National Highway and Safety Traffic Safety website? Just click here. And please, let us know what you find!

carlady/host
  • PiloPilo Posts: 5
    I ll better let other buy it first for a few years and then I ll buy one if reliable.
  • ashura75ashura75 Posts: 2
    I think the Leganza is one of the most refined nice Korean near Luxury car, i agree with the part " Camry amd Accord are boring" I like trying out new things and Daewoo was a nice car that had the smooth, quite, and plesant riding...don't forget about the attractiveness of the LEGANZA...
  • elainebearelainebear Posts: 17
    I agree with those who want to wait a year or so at least. It is never smart to buy ANY car in it's first year production (either a major change in the car or a whole new type). My first choice is still a Toyota Corolla but in 1998 they changed the specs... I wouldn't buy it in that year or even this year. I am waiting for the 2000 model to come out. The only other thing that bothers me is that hey are too new to know how reliable. It may turn out that they are more reliable than any other car, but since there are limited dealerships and not much info, I will be holding out. It would be great to have another car to choose from as they have a totally unique look to them :) Trust me I am not trashing but just stating my concerns on this new car company. I don't like the Edmund's reviews anyway, they are biased towards Honda and don't give others a fair chance ever. Here's to hoping for the best :)
  • It's an interesting thing, this Daewoo. Kudos to those who've taken a chance on it. And Edmunds, your reports may not be wholly fair, but I laugh.
    My question is,(for those who currently own any of the Daewoo hatchbacks),which one would probably be the better investment for a soon to be "recent college graduate" with a penchant for city cars?
  • civiccvtciviccvt Posts: 1
    I test drove the Nubira and Leganza. The Nubira was nice, but I felt cramped and the seats don't have latches to quickly move the backs. They have rollers that you have to turn to move the seat backs. Plus, they don't have center arm rests. My Civic feels a lot roomier and more comfortable then the Nubira. The Leganza, on the other hand, has plenty of room and amenities. It looks to me like a gently revised old Lexus GS300. I like the room and the standard equipment. I love the low-end torque and relative quietness of the four banger. It would be nice to have a V-6 option, but for now the four does the job adequately. The CDX loaded runs $19,000 which is just about the right price. One thing I noticed is that the materials used to make up the dash and interior seem cheap. Maybe that's just it's style. Also, I think having the steering wheel so close to the console is discomforting. Other than that, I think it's got potential. I know that Daewoo has a contract with America for 15 years, so don't worry about them getting up and leaving right away like Daihatsu. I also agree with everyone else to wait a year or two just to be sure of reliability. Their warranty is part of the cost of the car so they wouldn't lose too much money if the cars were lemons. Plus, they have the rest of the world to profit from. It's almost the new millineum and hopefully cars made for mass production these days have what it takes to last the 5 years to pay them off.
  • I'd like to test drive one. Anyone know the closest dealer to St.Louis?
  • alextalext Posts: 63
    You're right, elainebear. Edmunds is biased towards honda (and mazda miatas, which I still think are imitations porsche). I'm getting tired of the general notion that hondas are the most reliable cars on the road. Hondas may have some good qualities that make them last a long time, but they still suffer from weak transmissions that can easily be damaged, poor quality air conditioning systems that fail on schedule, and above all have been increasingly boring since the 1996 model lineup.

The daewoos, especially the lanos, are very nicely designed. I think the Lanos hatchback looks very european. However, I'm not excited about the gas mileage or the really really ugly fabric on the interior of the Lanos. Also, the color choices seem to be limited (out of the many Lanos models I've seen driving around LA, all were white). But they have potential. Give them a few years to feel out the US market and I think you'll have a major player in the industry.
  • n299n299 Posts: 3
    Hello,

I'm looking at a new Daewoo Lanos 3-Door, and I was wondering what the mileage will be... What the dimensions of the sunroof are, and whether the insurance will be high? ( I'm a 17 year old male... so I know it won't be glamorous )

Also, if you have any other comments on the car, please tell them!

Thanks!

Brandon
  • mugenpwrmugenpwr Posts: 1
    Hi ppl, I was extremely impressed with the Daewoos at this year's Toronto International autoshow here in Canada, where I was able to see a Daewoo for the first time. I actually spent more time with the Leganza than any other car at the whole show!! I think the 2.2L might me a little weak..but a Turbo charger and a NOS kit could fix that nicely :) Oh..is it me or are those Daewoo ads on TV really good?!?! The combination of that girl, the wicked camera angles of the car and the cool music give me goosebumps. I CAN FEEL THE ENERGY OF LEGANZAAAAAAAA..........
  • rotweinrotwein Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 5 door Nubira with automatic transmission and it seems to be performing well. At 6-3, I have plenty of room. the factory maintenance for 3 years and the 36 month warranty, plus the price, convinced me to buy this over a Golf.
This discussion has been closed.