Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MY FUTURE OLDER CAR?

Comments

• My experience has been that the asking price is always flexible, and oddly enough, even more flexible if the seller likes your approach to his vehicle.

Here's my silly Rules of Thumb on this subject

1. The asking price is the act of the seller exercising his First Amendment Rights under the Constitution. This price does not have to have anything to do with reality, unless of course the seller actually wants to sell the car.

2. Never bargain with a seller on the phone before you see the car. This PO's most sellers.

3. Never challenge the asking price directly, as if it were "wrong".

4. Don't talk price at all until you have driven and inspected the car.

5. Make an offer. If he counters, work from there. If he refuses to counter, write your offer down on a business card and wish him a good day and WALK.

Remember, the old cliche still holds true:

"You cannot negotiate successfully if you cannot leave the table."

6. Bringing price guides with you is helpful, if they favor your cause of course.

7. DON'T say "I saw another one in the paper for $2,000 less, because you've just played straight man to his retort---well then, smart [non-permissible content removed], go buy that one!"
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,459
    8. don't forget to send shifty a thank you note for this priceless advice!
    i am not kidding. :)
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,077
    ...bring at least one other knowledgeable person with you. They'll spot things wrong with the car you might miss. I've spent a lot of time looking at cars at Carlisle and the guys with me spotted things wrong I'd have first missed.
  • Good suggestion...even BETTER, it would be beneficial if that person doesn't like, or is benignly indifferent to, the kind of car you are looking at. You'd be amazed how "being in love" with a certain type of car will blind you so badly you'll stagger around for months wondering how you could have been so stupid.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,606
    Good suggestion...even BETTER, it would be beneficial if that person doesn't like, or is benignly indifferent to, the kind of car you are looking at.

Sounds like a plan. Shifty, the next time I fall in love with another old 70's mastodon, I'm bringing you with me, because I know how you feel about them! :shades:
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Posts: 1,704
    Thought you might want to take a look at this article. It is about a lady who has owned a '69 Dart since it was brand-new.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/automobiles/collectibles/06EGO.html?scp=19&sq=- Auto%20Ego&st=cse

By the way, how is your '68? Have you finally let it go yet?
    keep hanging onto the Intrepid and maybe in 40 years or so you could make the NY Times!
    nice post! i only have to hang onto my mustang for another 23 years to match her.
    of course, she is not giving up her car, so it's like trying to catch up in age to your older sibling. :surprise:
  • piCARsopiCARso Posts: 16
    You guys are having way too much fun. Hope you haven't forgotten me. Great advice about stradegies for buying a car. I will remember them. I know when we were looking to buy a boat, every one we saw we wanted and we rationalized away any imperfection. You know what the letters B.O.A.T. stand for: " Bring out another thousand" And of course the well know homily: "The two happiest times in a mans' life is the day he buys his first boat and the day he sells it". I hope this does not apply to vintage cars. Thanks to all your great council. My horizons have been broadened. Initially, all I thought about was the outside of the car but Mr. Shiftright got me thinking about handling and performance. With my modest budget that 65-69 Corvair looks interesting. I know there is a group of rabid admirers out there and in the past I have overlooked them because they are small and modest compared to many of the showy late 50's cars. Looking at them with a fresh eye I admire their compact simplicity. Well kept convertibles with I imagine thrifty 6 cylinder engines sell for below 10 consistently. What can you tell me about these cars? Are they fun to drive, good engines, brakes, suspensions, etc.? Anything I should know ? The field is narrowing.
    mr shifty provide great insight and he is willing to share it.
    lucky for you and many others.
    go to google and type corvair.
    if you see somthing you like, post back about it.
    i am sure you will get some opinions. :)
  • I think the Corvair is okay. I'd probably go for an automatic (the manual shifter is so clunky) and if the engine has recently been resealed, tuned, etc. all the better. Those engines do seem to leak a lot. I think the auto is a 2-speed though, and it reminds you that you are still in 1965--1969.

Corvair brakes are EXCELLENT---best American braking car in 1965, hands down.

Handling needs a mod to the steering to quicken the ratio lock to lock, otherwise it's pretty good.

You'd have to join the Corvair network to learn all the tricks.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,606
    Cool story, thanks for posting it. My '69 Dart GT had those same hubcaps. I did end up selling my '68 Dart. The guy paid for it in full, and I gave him the title. He hasn't come to pick it up yet, though.
  • piCARsopiCARso Posts: 16
    Corvair to Corvette, my head is spinning. 1168, 23 pages on ebay, something for everyone. Clearly the 60's are preferred but since you have brought them into the picture give me your analysis of the 70's,80's and 90's. I like the look of the late 70's and early 80's. Many well kept under 10 with no takers, why ? I liked the Pontiac. Am I right to think that a clone is a lesser model dressed up with script pretending to be the real thing ? Any more suggestions of strong candidates for the financially challenged will be considered.
  • In the case of the GTO, Pontiac itself "dressed up" a Lemans, so the term "clone" seems a bit hypocritical to me. But yes, a clone is a FAKE, but not necessarily any less a car.

After 1972 or so, American cars became burdened with clumsily-designed emissions controls, lower compression engines, and generally mediocre performance, quality and styling. They are simply not highly regarded by collectors and for good reason. The thrill is gone and you end up tinkering with them all the time.

This rarely gets any better until the mid 1980s, when you start to get some interesting American iron again, like the C4 Corvette and the Buick V-6 Turbo cars.

In fact, one could actually attribute the rise of the "red hot" collector car market for 50s and 60s cars, to the rather dismal choices people had of late 70s and early 80s cars.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,277
    If that LeMans actually has a 389 in it, though, someone has been messing with it. Pontiac only put that engine in the GTO.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• No I mean that Pontiac just built up a Lemans into a GTO themselves (at first). The 64-65 GTO was just an option package on the Lemans. In '66 it became its own thing.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,277
    Oh, OK, now I see. You're right, the GTO was just an upgraded LeMans. Actually, at the time, I wanted to take a GTO chassis (with drivetrain, suspension, etc.) and drop on a LeMans 4-door hardtop body with corresponding interior. Thought it would make a great Q-ship. A slightly weird idea, but not the weirdest that I had at that age.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• lokkilokki Posts: 1,200
    My Q ship was going to be a 2 door 69 Valiant with Hemi Cuda engine and suspension with old-man hubcaps and the dual exhausts tucked discretly out of sight.

My logic was that the Barracuda was built on the Valiant chasis, so all the 'cuda parts should bolt right on.

A nice sleeper, I thought. Sometimes, in my more practical moments, I thought that I'd settle for a 340 instead of the Hemi.
  • too many beers lokki....yes the 340 would be a much better choice. I think that hemi would twist that frame like a pretzel.
This discussion has been closed.