Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you happy you didn't sell your SUV?

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,679
    If you want a small car with a high clearance, buy a Subaru PZEV Outback.

I actually like the looks of that vehicle. However it only gets 17 MPG in the city. To give up the comfort and room of the Sequoia for 2 MPG makes very little sense. When they bring in the diesel Outback I will take another look if I have not bought my final vehicle by then. I just do not like the Escape and you already know they are horribly over priced. I don't like getting screwed buying a vehicle.
    So far no one has built a large vehicle with hybrid that is worth looking at. I don't see 3-4 MPG improvement worth $10k or more. That is strictly for eco weinies wanting people to believe they are environmentally astute.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    However it only gets 17 MPG in the city

Actually, it's 20. 18 for the turbo.

http://www.subaru.com/

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

My only interest was in the Outback wagon with the 6 cylinder. It requires Premium which is another black mark against it. Cannot imagine a vehicle that big and heavy with a screaming 4 cylinder. Not my idea of a pleasant cruise down the highway listening to Rachmaninov. 2009 Outback has a worse pollution score than my 07 Sequoia. I see nothing convincing me to give up my SUV. That outback getting 40 MPG out on the highway is possible. The race is on and I am getting more in the mood to buy a diesel SUV. Now just waiting till Spring when VW brings a diesel SUV to our shores.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    Heh, I don't feel like I'm in all that big and heavy of a vehicle when I'm cruising around in my Outback with all the horse trailer towing rigs around here.
  • boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,730
    well I believe the Forester would be a better choice even though it is only 10 inches shorter than a 4runner. But you have obviously never tried to get the parts to lift a IFS vehicle. In all the years I have been exploring old ghost towns and silver mines in the So Cal high and low desert I can't ever remember seeing a outback on the roads we travel. some of them are class three jeep trails I admit but not all. Then again how easy would it be to get a low range in an outback? I don't think the recommend towing with one either. And the outback is about the same size as a Camry. No longer considered a small car. A camry looks like a Crown Vic next to my old Pontiac 4 banger. By the way an outback is only .2 inches shorter than a 4Runner.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,017
    "...It surprises me that NYC cab drivers can get up enough speed to roll one..."

You've got to be kidding, right? Those guys are insane. Driving through Manhattan is like a drag-race combined with a demo-derby.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• tankbeanstankbeans Posts: 585
    Hello all.

First let me say that I don't care what anybody drives or how much they choose to spend on it. It isn't my business. I don't hate SUVs, I don't like SUVs. I don't need one so I don't care. One thing that bothers me is when I am at an intersection, no semiphore, and I'm trying to turn and a person in an SUV decides they can't see and they inch forward so I have to inch forward more to see around them, and they keep inching like they need the extra space to see oncoming traffic. Not meaning this as an attack to anyone just an observation. I don't like being behind them on the freeway because again I can't see, so I pass them and hope not to offend them.

Let it be known that a couple of years ago, I've been driving less than 5, I was considering a Blazer to replace my Aerostar. My Aerostar was porcine and it was overly thirsty. 10 mpg only, I thought the Blazer might be good for 20mpg, but I never got it so I can't say. I instead got a 91 LeSabre with the 3.8 and loved it.

Which leads me to something else. Somebody inquired about insurance for teens. I'm 20 and I've had my license since I turned 16. I had to pay me own insurance and that was $195 for the van per month with a crappy company. Then when I got my LeSabre it went to $105 per month with AmFam. After my LeSabre I got a 95 Accord, which needed full coverage as I was making payments and that was $145 per month. Now I have an 03, full coverage, and before my mom and I changed our policy cost $160 per month, full coverage $500 deductibles.

If I'm confusing I apologize, but I wanted to chime in.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,451
    can you see anything when you are driving behind a minivan?
    No. I may have been too general about SUVs. I don't like being behind big vehicles, but I'm not going to condemn them or buy one myself for the sole purpose of being able to see around as I wouldn't need it for any other reason. I grew up with the attitude don't buy more than you need.

That being said if I was ever faced with the decision mini-van or SUV as my only options the SUV would win hands down. After driving a van I don't want to do it again. They're ugly, mostly bought by families with one child, another observation, and they're difficult to feed. SUVs are thirsty too, but at least they aren't uglier than sin, in my opinion. I kind of like Exploders myself, but don't need one so don't care.
  • boaz47boaz47 Posts: 2,730
    You know I think you are pretty much the norm. Most people don't care what someone else drives they simply care about what works best for them. The only peer pressure I ever got on buying a SUV verses a Pick-up or Mini Van wasn't from one of my peers it was from my son. He pleaded with me not to get a mini van because if I would have ever driven him to school his friends would think I had to drive his moms car. My wife wouldn't drive a mini van so if we had two cars and one was a mini van I would have driven it.

There is a segment of our society that does believe they have the right or duty to determine what everyone else drives. They know best and everyone else just doesn't get why they shouldn't be consulted when we go to the dealership.
    If I were you I would have bought the ugliest minivan possible, with a decent reliability rating, just to spite my son. That's just me, I'm evil that way. Luckily I don't have kids yet. Can't afford them and not ready for them.
  • I can understand the SUV creeping forward at the stop light when I want to turn right.

However, there is a 99.9% chance there will be somebody bigger in front of you irregardless of what size vehicle you drive. My `Nox is no slouch in the size department. :)

DA
  • scottinkyscottinky Posts: 194
    i had one, a beautiful Nissan Armada. Lost 5500 dumping it when prices spked to get a Honda Odyssey. I wish I woudl have kept it. the money I lost could have paid
    off my home equity loan, and I would still be driving the best vehicle I have ever had.
    I would gladly trade the $250 a month I save in gas/payment for the quiet ride the big SUV had. Minivans are practical, but they suck, its like driving a toaster oven.
  • Look. I realize that based solely on being green that my owning an SUV may seem totally selfish. You know what? I don't care. While it is used largely for commuting during the week, the weekends bring out the reason we purchased it. We have three kids, a boat and a large extended family. While we could do with less size, it would cramp our ability to do what we do. Add to that the fact that the smaller CUV's and such actually could have cost no less than the same and often more than our Armada did to purchase, the ONLY deficit in ownership ends up being the gas mileage and my carbon footprint. The former is not but by 2-4 mpg and the latter is mostly when it is used in normal commuting. That said, if they start bringing out hybrid versions of big SUV's that don't cost thousands more than the regular version, I'm all in. For now, though, it is what it is. For the record, I replaced my '03 Expedition for my '08 Armada during the gas price crisis.
    Thanks for that report. At least you got a make/model that traditionally holds its value well so hopefully you'll do ok when it's time to trade.
  • scottinkyscottinky Posts: 194
    doesn't really matter. i leased it through my business, and will be glad to walk away from it in 2 more years, from a fun to drive standpoint. Lets not kid ourselves, having had both an 08 Armada and now a minivan, the van kills the Armada in ease of use
    and cargo hauling. getting in and out of that rig was a pain, and lifting my baby's car seat into the rear would have been a killer. storage behind the 3rd row seats couldnt accomodate a folded stroller or groceries like the van can, even when NOT folded.
    I never had to haul more than 4 people so leaving the seats down in the Armada wasnt a big deal to me. If I were buying today, i would be getting a new Chevy Traverse, but when i buy next, I am getting a wagon.
    I may be behind the times, but was is a 'Nox? :blush: I've never heard of it and I can't think of a car that would be abbreviated that way.
    Chevy Equinox. :shades:
  • dave8697dave8697 Posts: 1,482
    My son did work a great internship last summer that required a dependable car and socked away about what I paid for the Mustang. He was willing to and did pay 2/3 of his dorm room upgrade this year and he bought himself a new computer for school. He treats it very different than his car. Nobody is allowed near it. And if a dvd of his gets touched, all hell breaks loose.

I find that I have to be the one who monitors the oil and coolant reservoir in his car. He did 9000 miles in the 10 weeks of summer and the car now has over 110k miles on it.