Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• fnd222fnd222 Posts: 1
    trying to replace my girfriend wiper motor on a 94 wrangler. any help would be appricated.
  • jwwhitejwwhite Posts: 1
    I have a 04 Wrangler Sport and the emergency flashers, brake lights, and turn signals went out. I replaced all bulbs, replaced the fuse for the turn signals and replaced the flasher. I could not find any bad fuses. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    You have to drop the windshield to get to the wiper motor. The wiper motor is under the cowl seal in front of the drivers area.

If you have a hard top it must be removed and the soft top must be disconnected from top of the windshield frame. I don't have a soft top so I am being assumptive as to how you remove it.

Remove the bolts holding the roll bar to the windshield frame. Remove the bolts holding the bracket at each side of the dashboard where the windshield assembly hinges (on the inside of the Jeep). The windshield should now rotate toward the hood. Disconnect the old motor and replace with new. It may also be a good idea to replace the cowl seal while you are in there.

Good luck!
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    It's probably either a faulty multi function switch, or a bad connection to it from the Power Distribution Center (PDC).

Have you exceeded the mileage limit of your warranty?
  • heidinjimheidinjim Posts: 1
    i have a 1990 wrangler 5 speed manual ax15 i need to know if the hole in the bell housing can be used for a crank angle sensor or if it is only to set the timing for the trans. :D
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    When I start up my Jeep in the AM, there is a chirping noise coming from the timing belt. The belt looks fine and has ~30K on it. It does this primarily when the engine is cold or it's humid out. Should I just fiddle with the tensioner? How do you do that? It's a nut, right?
  • captrscaptrs Posts: 1
    The jeep's a 1991, and sometimes will stop running or not start at all, but sometimes it starts and runs fine. Before we purchased it, the previous owner had this problem and replaced the battery and fuel sending unit (and thought he fixed the problem). It will start when we use starting fluid, but once that burns, it dies. It is getting spark also.
    What would be the next place/part to look into to fix this problem? Any help would be great.

Thanks
  • I have a 7 month old Wrangler with 4,800 miles on it. I was driving home today and the check engine light came on! It's not driving any differently and all the guages are reading what they should. Any idea why this would happen?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,963
    Did you fill up with gas recently? A loose gas cap is the most frequent trigger for the check engine light, so double check that first.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I wanted to change the shift knob on my jeep wrangler, but I can't get it off. Does it just unscrew or am I missing something? Please help!!
  • pwlowhampwlowham Posts: 3
    Hi there. My sister-in-law has a Wrangler 1997 in line four with 70,000 miles. I think that the A/C compressor bearings are failing as there is a shrieking noise when the A/C is turned on. It is not the fan belt. A dealer has told her that a new A/C motor is needed at $1700 and that the existing compressor cannot be reconditioned. I find it difficult to believe that this is true. Can you advise please? Thanks.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    It does sound like you need a new air compressor, though when I replaced mine in the '98 Sport, I got it done by someone else (not dealer!) and it didn't cost that much (want to say it was about $600, might have been cheaper because I think we also had something else done at the same time). Ours was pretty much torn up inside and not repairable.
  • I have a 1995 Wranger. I was driving to work this morning and after getting on the interstate and getting up to speed (about 55mph) I felt the jeep "jump" a couple of times then the engine cut off. I guided to the right hand median slowed to about 25mph, popped the clutch and it started right up.

Continued on towards work, by this time off the interstate, and it happened again but this time without the "jumps". Wouldn't start by popping the clutch, so I guided it into a parking lot. Turn the key and it started right up and I got to work.

This happened last year, and after much searching, my mechanic seemed to have corrected it. Took him a while, but he said it was some type of chip had overheated. Now the problem is back.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim
    Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I think that I'll look around for a used compressor. Was this model (1997 4 cylinder) sold without A/C? I'm thinking that I could take the compressor off and use a fan belt off of a non-A/C model until I find a replacement.

Regards.
  • mtngalmtngal Posts: 1,911
    I know that AC was not standard on my '98 Sport, so I'm almost positive that your model was available without AC. Good luck with it - I wouldn't dream of going without AC out here (apparently some of the valley locations got up to 110 this past weekend - thank heavens I live at 6,000 feet!).
  • I have a 97 Sahara that has been missing in the same way for the past 3 summers (for some reason, never happened in the cooler weather). I thought that it had to be a fuel pump/filter problem, but was waiting till it finally crapped out. Never had a check engine light. It would sputter at the most random times (sometimes uphill, sometimes down, sometimes no hill, rainy, dry...). The tach would flutter up and down and then it would be fine for days, even weeks. On Monday, it sputtered on my way home and died for the first time. I couldn't get it to start back up and ended up draining my battery trying. A buddy came up and jumped me while we were trouble shooting (thinking cam position sensor, fuel pump...). I noticed that with the key in the run position, I had no gauges. As we were checking fuses, I also followed the 02 sensor wire up from the sensor (there are 2, this one can found by looking under the jeep around the driver door. The other is after the catalytic converter near the back). What I found is that the wire comes up against the firewall on the engine side and is tied off with a zip tie to a bracket off of the engine. The wire rubs against this bracket and had ultimately shorted itself out. I moved the wire, had gauges and have had no problems since (it's only been 3 days, but I drive 50-75 miles/day). You can gain access to this wire with the hood open, driver side back toward the firewall.
    Thanks for the reply. Running without A/C is a temporary solution while I get someone to look at the compressor. It is still pumping and cooling very well but is noisy, so replacement bearings might fix the problem, but we need to keep the Wrangler on the road.

Regards.
  • skyking49skyking49 Posts: 112
    I have an 06 wrangler with under 1500 mi. on it. Last Saturday I took it on a dirt road and tried out the Four Wheel Drive. I only used it for about 10 min. I took it out of four wheel drive and the indicater light "assured"
    me it was not engaged.

Two days ago I was going to the local Pizza place and another Jeep driver noticed my Jeep was still in Four Wheel Drive...he noticed the spinning under the front. No light was on indicating that I was still in four wheel drive. He told me to put it in reverse and drive backward. That "fixed" the problem. He said it had something to do with the automatic locking hubs. Any suggestions? If the light does not indicate 4 wheel drive I don't want to have to look underneath all the time.
    First, you wouldn't be able to drive for two days on the highway without noticing you were in 4WD. The steering would be very heavy and jerky, and it would be very uncomfortable to drive.

You don't have automatic locking hubs on your Wrangler, and the thing spinning under the front is the front propeller shaft, which is what it's supposed to do. In 4WD it's locked to the back one in the transfer case so that they are both driven together. In 2WD it's disconnected from the rear and allowed to spin independently. It turns because it's driven by the front wheels.

If the 4WD light remains on after offroad use, you should back up a few yards while zig zagging at the same time. This will release any stress in the drivetrain and allow the front propshaft to disconnect within the transfer case.
  • skyking49skyking49 Posts: 112
    Boy is my face "red." Actually the Jeep owner that told me it was stuck in 4WD was mistaken. I thought it sounded very odd. It drove very well at 70 mi an hour on the freeway...and you are right, if it were in four 4WD I would have had more difficulity. Thanks for the response. Great forum and great folks.
  • I have a 1997 Jeep wrangler 2.5, I took it off roading and on this trip the jeep rpm's fluctuated sparatically and then the jeep shut off, it sounds like it will turn over and on but there is no spark going to the ignition coil or wires. the starter, alternator, battery, and computer have all been tested and verified in correct working order. for a few times i was blowing the ASD fuse but that has ceased. I still have no spark to ignition coil, but at the turn of the key i have gauge indicators and all. Anyone have any ideas what to check or test next, im stuck. I'm thinking i may have a ground or somehow a slit wiring harness... any suggestions?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    Try the Jeep Wrangler: Problems and Solutions discussion - you'll get good help there!

tidester, host
  • morreymorrey Posts: 3
    I have a 1989 jeep wrangler with a 4.2 6cyl 5 speed manual . It shuts off every time I stop but restarts easly. any help with this problem would be helpful
    Probably a carb problem. It might just need an adjustment to the idle speed, or it could be a blockage in one of the jets or internal passages.
  • furiousdfuriousd Posts: 1
    hi, did you ever figure out what your problem is with your jeep. i have the exact same problem with a carb version, 1992 6 cyclinder.
    i just happens out of nowhere. on the highway i can pop the clutch and it will usually start back up. now, today, it did it driving in the city but no soo lucky. i did let it set for a few minutes and it started back up but gave me the same trouble over the next mile.
    i did notice the the tacometer will drop to 0 when it stalls, even when the jeep is rolling in gear dead. this makes me think its electrical.
    i took the air cleaner off while it was dead and checked to see if it was getting fuel, it was.
    so maybe its the coil? i thought it was a fuel problem but it feels like electrical and it was getting gas. i didnt check spark while it was down because i was solo and need someone to bump the ignition.
    please let me know what you found out.
    doug
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Well, Mac, the infamous speedo/tach/airbag light problem used to afflict my 1999 Sahara on a 12-18 month schedule. However, the last time it happened(a few weeks ago) the usual cleaning of the dash cluster terminals and dielectric grease application didn't fix the problem-the gauges will usually act up once or twice after the first start-up of the day. They work fine after that. Any thoughts?
    As well as cleaning and lubricating the terminals, did you also tweak them a little? About 10-20° should do it, from here: 'l' to here: '/'. The twist forces them to make firmer contact when they're plugged back into the sockets.

However, if they work ok after the first hiccup or two I might be inclined to live with it.
    I put a rebuilt carborator on and made proper adjustments, but this did not help the problem at all. The jeep runs very well as long as the RPM's are over 1100-1200. Anything under that it shuts off just as though you turned the key off, but restarts very easily. Any other suggestions? Thanks
    Have not found the problem yet sorry
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Thanks, Mac. I didn't do the gauge tweak since I had never had a problem in the past. In any event, I think I'm going to unload it for something a bit more fun to drive, especially since I'm experiencing several other gremlins as well.