Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• drewmeisterdrewmeister Posts: 168
    ...remind me never to accept a ride with meswbesttj

This is a Jeep, not a Mustang. The ultimate off-roading machine was not designed to go that fast. With a short wheelbase, stiff springs, and the aerodynamics of a gas station, all it will take is one little rise in the road that you may not even see, and that TJ will become total carnage.

Our Jeeps were designed to do amazing things at 5mph, and highways are just the long boring stretches between trails.
  • drewmeisterdrewmeister Posts: 168
    Appreciate the advice. I'm going in Monday to have them drive it.
  • kevaelkevael Posts: 2
    Tonight when I went for a drive, I could not get any air flow in the cab of my 1997 Wrangler. Regardless of the fan setting, no air flow was present. I tried adjusting the temperature and various vent settings. I do not have an owner's manual. I would like to start by replacing the appropriate fuse. Does anyone know which one is responsible for the fan or air flow? If it is not this simple, what is the next step. Thanks in advance.
  • bamafeverbamafever Posts: 4
    hi mac24
    i finally got my jeep to run
    it was the engine control unit ( computer )
    i replaced it and it runs great.
    but had replaced just about the entire electrical
    system.
    thanks for the info
    john & trisha
  • kev4kev4 Posts: 1
    I have a question but not sure if I really want to know the answer due to the actual solution to the problem. My 2000 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 makes a strange, with lack of better terms, gurgle sound when I shut it off. I constantly am looking underneath for any sign of a leak. It even gives a hint of antifreeze at times after I shut it off but once again no sign of any leaks. Fluid levels are good, but the sounds and smells make me really nervous. I would appreciate the advice and help if anyone has it. Thank you.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Glad to hear you got a good result in the end. :)
    It's probably either the refrigerant in the condenser (in front of the radiator), or the coolant returning to the radiator from the expansion tank.
  • ufmikeufmike Posts: 4
    I am trying to check my transmission fluid. There are two bolts near one another. Which one is the fluid level check and which one is the fluid fill? I have a 97 jeep wrangler sport. There are two bolts in question one is higher up than the other, and the higher one is a longer bolt. Also the owner's manual says to use 75W-90 GL5 transmission fluid. Would 80W-90 GL5 work O.K?
    -THANKS
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Posts: 654
    What's carpeting doing in a Jeep Wrangler anyway? I don't blame Chrysler's attitude. The Wrangler was never designed to be used like a regular vehicle. It's best suited for what it's designed for....going through the mud, crossing creeks, hunting, climbing trails etc.
  • My 98 Wrangler is doing the same thing and it is getting worse. I use to restart it within a few miles of the house, then it was fine. Now I often have to restart it more than one. No check engine light. Mr. Tire already cleaned the fuel system and replaced spark plugs/wires.

Did you ever get your's fixed?
  • fnd222fnd222 Posts: 1
    trying to replace my girfriend wiper motor on a 94 wrangler. any help would be appricated.
  • jwwhitejwwhite Posts: 1
    I have a 04 Wrangler Sport and the emergency flashers, brake lights, and turn signals went out. I replaced all bulbs, replaced the fuse for the turn signals and replaced the flasher. I could not find any bad fuses. Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?
  • davids1davids1 Posts: 411
    You have to drop the windshield to get to the wiper motor. The wiper motor is under the cowl seal in front of the drivers area.

If you have a hard top it must be removed and the soft top must be disconnected from top of the windshield frame. I don't have a soft top so I am being assumptive as to how you remove it.

Remove the bolts holding the roll bar to the windshield frame. Remove the bolts holding the bracket at each side of the dashboard where the windshield assembly hinges (on the inside of the Jeep). The windshield should now rotate toward the hood. Disconnect the old motor and replace with new. It may also be a good idea to replace the cowl seal while you are in there.

Good luck!
    It's probably either a faulty multi function switch, or a bad connection to it from the Power Distribution Center (PDC).

Have you exceeded the mileage limit of your warranty?
  • heidinjimheidinjim Posts: 1
    i have a 1990 wrangler 5 speed manual ax15 i need to know if the hole in the bell housing can be used for a crank angle sensor or if it is only to set the timing for the trans. :D
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    When I start up my Jeep in the AM, there is a chirping noise coming from the timing belt. The belt looks fine and has ~30K on it. It does this primarily when the engine is cold or it's humid out. Should I just fiddle with the tensioner? How do you do that? It's a nut, right?
  • captrscaptrs Posts: 1
    The jeep's a 1991, and sometimes will stop running or not start at all, but sometimes it starts and runs fine. Before we purchased it, the previous owner had this problem and replaced the battery and fuel sending unit (and thought he fixed the problem). It will start when we use starting fluid, but once that burns, it dies. It is getting spark also.
    What would be the next place/part to look into to fix this problem? Any help would be great.

Thanks
  • I have a 7 month old Wrangler with 4,800 miles on it. I was driving home today and the check engine light came on! It's not driving any differently and all the guages are reading what they should. Any idea why this would happen?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,963
    Did you fill up with gas recently? A loose gas cap is the most frequent trigger for the check engine light, so double check that first.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I wanted to change the shift knob on my jeep wrangler, but I can't get it off. Does it just unscrew or am I missing something? Please help!!