Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• burntupburntup Posts: 64
    Never had this happen with stock size tires.
    Used to have a similar problem back in the big tire days.
    14x35's and bigger...balancing took pounds of lead not oz.
    Just a little bump and the old Jeep would shake like a washing machine on speed.
    Maybe you can borrow a set of tires and wheels to test out the tire out of balance theory.
    Hey if you were out of country a while you deserve a new set of tires and wheels at the very least. Treat yourself and welcome home.
  • cornutcornut Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice. I have already had the Steering stabilizer replaced, so maybe the alignment and new tires will work.
  • moe14moe14 Posts: 2
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE MY THERMOSTAT IS LOCATED IN MY 97 WRANGLER SE?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Sorry for smart alec post above, but I couldn't resist. :)

Seriously, please turn off the caps. I don't like being yelled at this early in the morning. :shades:

If you follow your upper radiator hose to the metal area just behind the fan... remove that assembly (after draining the coolant). It is in there. I'll even shoot a pic of my 97 SE's engine to show you (but the engine needs a SERIOUS cleaning... you've been warned! :)

A Haynes manual would cover that basic one for ya, but a Factory Service Manual would be GREAT if you plan on more detailed repairs/maintenance down the road.

-Paul
  • moe14moe14 Posts: 2
    Sorry about the caps, and thank you very much. A picture wont be necessary I know exactly where your talking about. Thanks again.
    ..Joe..
    Here it is. It is behind the grey portion. Even though you didn't need it, others may have a similar question, so posting the pic is worthwhile.

Removing the hoses and sensors is step 2 (draining is step 1). Remove that front bolt. Remove assembly. The tstat gasket may be holding it on, so using a rubber mallet to strike it gently will break that t-stat housing loose.

You'll need a new t-stat gasket when you reattach everything, so you may as well put in a new t-stat at the same time. :)

Hope that helps.

-Paul
  • ztaijiztaiji Posts: 3
    hey, I need help please -
    I have an 1998 wrangler and my gauges wouldn't work for about five minutes while driving, they do now but I dont want this probelm happening again, also, theres a rattle under the jeep and its annoying. so if you guys have any answers with the gauges and rattle please reply. thanks

zach
    The most likely problem is with a 13-pin connector that plugs into the instrument cluster.
    The repair kit from Dodge is about "a buck and a half" installed.
    Cheaper it you you can cut and solder.
  • ztaijiztaiji Posts: 3
    alright im gonna try it out thanks. How about that rattle? Its near the muffler so I dunno if It's loose or what?
    Thanks
  • i can drive my jeep for a long time and all of a suden for no reason at all the guages quit working for about a mile, sometimes 3 or 4 miles before the guages start working again. what do i do?
    The most likely problem is with a 13-pin connector that plugs into the instrument cluster.
    The repair kit from Dodge is about "a buck and a half" installed.
    Cheaper it you you can cut and solder.
    Check your catalytic converter (basically just forward of the muffler, likely under your t-case skid).

If you can hit it with a rubber mallet and it sounds like marbles, chances are you one needing a catalytic converter.

They have issued a recall for older SE's like 97-00 IIRC, that should do a reprogram of your computer for problems and I believe if your catalytic is broken, they'll replace it. But you may need to check with your dealer to be sure.

-Paul
  • agsurferagsurfer Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 wrangler, low beam works fine but when I pull back the lever for high beam, I get the high beams as long as I hold the switch back, but as soon as I release it goes back to low beam.
    I've been searchibg for a relay to ingauge the high beam I can't find it (is there one?)The lever switch seems to be a momentary that's why I'm assuming there is a relay. Thanks for any ideas.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    Pulling the lever back is a momentary bright. It is used to signal (as in passing) and getting attention (if someone is pulling out in front of you). Try pushing the lever forward, it should stay on high beam until you pull it back.

Terry
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Pull back to momentarily flash the high beams, let go to return to low beam, push away to engage high beams full time.
  • agsurferagsurfer Posts: 3
    I've had this jeep since new,this style lever does not go forward, it is one pull back and the high beams would engage, then pull again to turn them off(the lever goes back to it's original position after each pull). the problem is that it is no longer staying in high beam when pulled

Tim
    Hi/low beam operation is a function of the left hand multifunction switch.
    This looks like a straight forward component replacement.

............................If your Jeep has airbags........
    MAKE SURE THAT YOU DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE AND WAIT TWO MINUTES BEFORE WORKING ON ANY DASHBOARD COMPONENTS.

Three screws will remove the plastic cover from the steering collum.
    Two screws and a wiggle pull procedure will get the turn signal, hi/low... thing lose.
    Push the new one in...screw it...go for a night ride shake/down.
    Enjoy your newly installed klicking light blinkin' thingy.
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Posts: 250
    Some people live all their lives and never see a miracle. Now you have seen two in one day(actually one minute). Mac and I both wrong at the same time. Well, me being wrong is not that unusual, but mac24!

Terry
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Not really. If you check with my wife you'll find I'm never right! :cry: