Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    Document everything! Remember that 'Lemon Laws' differ in each state, so do some serious online research for the details of your particular one. Finally, unless you enjoy receiving spam, don't make your email address publicly available where it can be harvested by spambots! :shades:
  • I have a 2002 Sahara, bought it 3 months ago, has less than 35k miles on it. Leaks unbelievably. I have icecycles hangings from the ceiling, and when I put the heat on, it rains on me. The rugs are soaked, seats are damp. Afterwards it smells like a swamp inside, almost to the point where its undriveable. Took it in once to the dealership, they replaced the gaskets around the doors and windshield - failed miserably. Now they say there may be a crease along the bottom of the floorboards that may be leaking, so thats what they are looking at next. Anyone hear of this "crease" before? :confuse:
  • goducks1goducks1 Posts: 432
    Just checked this forum out. Mac, they should be paying you for this :)
    Mac, they should be paying you for this.

Every time I tell them that, they make me work even longer hours! :cry:
    I've not heard of a Wrangler leaking as badly as that, though there have been reports of a few '05 models with badly fitting doors which leak badly.

Even if it is leaking through the floor in some way, it's hard to imagine that it would allow water in to the extent that you're describing. If they claim a leaking 'crease' to be the cause, make sure to have them show it to you in detail.

P.S. Your description of 'icecycles' hanging from the ceiling conjures up an interesting picture! ;)
  • Thank's for the reply. The Jeep just started running rough all of a sudden. Runs ok while cold but when it warms up it is rough. It's been back in the shop for a week since this last message. They have replace sparks and plugs, egr vaulve, coil, computer, and nothing has worked. Now they think carbin has builded up and it needs a head job. I don't think they know but maybe it will work. Let me hear from you thanking you in advance. Darlene
    It sounds like they're just throwing parts at it in the hope that something will fix it. I'd suggest you take it to a shop that's a little more professional, and that understands how to use logic (and a scanner) to diagnose what should be a simple problem.

If it runs ok when cold but badly when warmed up, that would suggest that it has a fuel/air mixture that's too rich. The most common issue is a faulty O² sensor, though not the only cause by any means. You need to have the on-board computer read for any fault codes (Autozone will do it free), which will give an accurate indication of where the fault lies.

Your symptoms sound nothing like carbon buildup on the valves. However, that diagnosis and the work previously done does indicate a lot about the incompetence of the shop involved. I trust that this isn't a Jeep dealership you're using? (If it is.....SHAME ON THEM!!!).
  • i just bought a 98 wrangler on the 22nd. i'm very happy with it but just today it started to run rough for about 5 seconds or so. by rough i mean that the engine starts to cut out a little and the jeep starts to jerk a little bit. after that it runs fine and it only happens after i just start it and start driving down the road. i have a feeling it may be a fuel filter or possibly an O2 sensor. does anyone have any suggestions on what it may be? any help is most appreciated
  • I had that same problem on a 2000 Wrangler. I didn't really want to do any 'real' repairs so I tried some fuel cleaner. I think it was a fuel injector cleaner or something. Anyways, it did the trick and I didn't have the problem again. Actually I did it twice, once with a cheap brand ($5) and once with a slick50 cleaner ($15). So I don't really know which one did the trick.
  • i just put a bottle of gumout in there tongiht but i think i'll try putting in another, more expensive bottle, on my next fill up. thanks man i appreciate the suggestion.
  • Thanks - The service department tells me the icecycles are created by the moisture (actually soaked rugs) from the bottom of the jeep being heated, and the condensation rising to the roof. It then re-freezes and creates the stalactites. Then when I put the heat on, they melt, causing it to "rain" and soaking the floor again. My jeep has its own weather pattern. Science at it's best.
  • Does anyone know what an Engine Speed Input Circuit is? my check engine light came on and i have a bad O2 sensor and it told me that the ESI circuit is malfunctioning. I was just curious if anyone knew what it was.
    What code(s) did you get, and what symptoms are being exhibited?
  • i don't remember the code numbers but it cuts out and seems like the engine is choking for about 10 seconds then runs fine until i'm done driving. Like i said i also have an O2 sensor out but i forgot to find out wich is bad so i have to wait for the check engine light to come back on so i can have it checked again.
    The PCM derives engine speed information from both the CPS sensors. I'm intrigued as to which code indicated ESI circuit problems, so do post it when it returns. Replacing the O² sensor is a no brainer.
  • jpiekszajpieksza Posts: 2
    I just changed the battery in my 2000 Wrangler Sahara. I get a strong spark when I turn the key but the engine will not run. I do have a DEI Viper security system, but don't think it is interferring. I reset the system after I changed the battery. Is it just starving for fuel? Should I change the fuel filter or is there somthing else that I am not considering?
  • yeah the O2 sensor is a no brainer so no sweat there but i will def post what i find out about the ESI circuit.
    There's no reason the fuel filter should suddenly have become blocked because the battery was changed.

It does sound as if it's a fuel delivery problem though. Does the pump run? Is the security system wired to the fuel pump relay? Do you have a 'check engine' light or any codes?
  • jpiekszajpieksza Posts: 2
    No check engine light on. But....the Jeep has been sitting without use for about 2 months (I previously jump started and even charged the battery etc. to try and get it going). I just went back down to the garage and gave it a few pumps on the gas and turned the key. It turned over and I ran it for 10-15 minutes. I'm confused, but it is now running.
  • How's it Fellas,
    I have a 99 TJ. It has a fast clicking sound coming from the flasher unit, under the dash. The sound stops when brake pedal is pushed, but not when just the hand brake is applied. When signaling left or right the sound changes to the normal turn signal click. Changed the flasher relay (or the box that was making the clicking) but that did not fix the problem.
    All the lights are working. But one time I notice the front and side marker were alternating. Signal left the left FT. then the LT. side would go, and so on. same when I tried the other side. That went away after a minute or so, and haven't seen it since.
    A litte help Fellas? That clicking is driving me crazy.