Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• The last two days it rained and I noticed water under my passenger side floor mat. I recently put my hard top back on but cannot find any places it could be leaking from. The sides are not wet...just under the floor mat. I know its just water by the lack of any oder. Any suggestions on where the water might be coming from?
    TIA
  • I had the same problem last year. On mine, I found that the vents in the back of the top just behind the side glass had come loose from its seal. After pulling the vent louvres and re-sealing them, I have not had anymore problems. Not all tops have the vents. If yours does, I would start there.
  • A couple of possibilities. 1. The condensate drain line from your air conditioner could be disconnected and dumping the water in the passenger floor. 2. Many of our beloved vehicles leak water through holes in the firewall when it is raining or when we wash them. Mine does this when it is parked headed uphill and I deal with it by parking headed downhill. As I understand it, you can remove the grill located below the windshield and seal the holes. So far, it has been easier to park headed downhill.
  • gman1259gman1259 Posts: 209
    I do not have either…and the owner’s manual does not tell you which fuse to check…Anyone know?
  • gman1259gman1259 Posts: 209
    Never mind...I found it, finally.
  • The diverter doors are stuck or at least do not move. therefore i cannot change temp setting. Any ideas on how to fix myself? Jeep dealer wants $600.00-$1,000.00. It;s not the control head, I replaced that, no change.$ Estimate by jeep is ridiculous.
  • I have a 99 jeep wrangler. The defrost is my problem. If I turn the dial to defrost the windshield it works fine on the fan speed 1 and 2. But when I turn the fan speed to the 3rd setting I hear this loud thud, like a door slamming shut, and no air will blow onto the windshield. I do get air on the side window defrost. This problem resets itself if I turn the fan speed down to 1 and turn off the setting selector knob. I do not have a problem with any other setting.
  • I have a 98 wrangler. Each time you get into the car to drive, in the beginning it will act like it is starving for fuel. If you put it in neutral and rev the engine, the problem goes away. It doesn't happen again until you park the car and get back in to start and drive it.

I have had some of the electrical components in the distributor replaced, the fuel pump is new. I just don't know, and neither does the mechanic I take it to, what to do. Any help
  • xscoutxscout Posts: 141
    If this is happening while the vehicle is still hot from a previous drive, and lasts only for say 4-8 seconds long, it is probably fuel percolation. The fuel sitting in the fuel lines above the engine gets quite heated and starts to boil in the line creating air pockets in the fuel being delivered to the injectors. Reving the engine increases the volume of fuel being pumped through the lines and clears it out faster. In any case, the fuel in the lines will always clear fairly quickly and the problem should not reoccur while driving, at least until you turn it off again and let it sit a bit.
  • I recently bought a 2003 Wrangler TJ Rubicon and noticed that it has the stock electrical fog light hook-ups but lacks the switch in the cab. How do I figure out whether all I am missing is the switch or more? and if I do have the electrical wiring how can I make sure it's connected to the battery?
  • look on the turn signal lever for it
  • :lemon: I posted earlier with problems with my new 2007Jeep 4x44dr having a problem with what is called the "death wobble" It has now been back to the dealer 4 times and the last time someone from Chrysler actually came in and replaced the steering dampener. I am still having the problem and I now have a lovely $30,000 lawn ornament. Has anyone had any luck under the lemon law for the death wobble? :lemon:
  • I have a 2001 Wrangler. This morning I thought it felt like the fan was blowing cold air even though the heat was on. I noticed on the way home after work that as long as I am moving the air is hot, but then when I stop it gets cold. I've ready a bunch of different things about the heat core and vent flaps and such but wanted to know if anyone could help narrow it down for me before I blow a lot of money fixing something that maybe isn't needed!
  • I HAVE A 97 WRANGLER 4 CYL. I AM HAVEING A PROBLEM WITH A ENGINE LIGHT COMING ON. THE CODE AT ADVANCE AUTO IS FUEL SYSTEM LEAN. I HAVE HAD A O2 SENSOR RP\EPLACED A BOUT 6 TIMES SINCE MARCH.
    CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY IDEA WHAT MAY BE GOING ON. THANK JD.
  • I have a 1997 Jeep wrangler 4cyl. When i start my jeep up it runs fine for about 30 sec then starts to idle very low and rough. It continues to do this for about a minuite or 2 then starts to idle ok again. The same thing happens when i first start the jeep and drive it. It drives ok for about 10 sec then starts to run rough and backfire if i dont let off the accelerator. If i do let off the accelerator it does the same as i explained in the first sentence. If i dont let off the gas it wont accelerate and backfires. If i press in the clutch and rev it up for about 5 sec it will stop doing this and drive fine. Also, The engine has to turn over more than it should to start it, it lags a bit. The problem occurs mainly when the engine is cold or hasent been driven in half an hour or so. Please let me know if anyone knows the problem.

Thanx.
  • I have replaced every sensor under the hood connected to the throttle body even the tps sensor. But when i come to a stop the engine idles around 1100rpm then drops down too 900rpm all the time. any suggestions?
  • check your timing. make sure it's in spec. make sure it's not retarded too much.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,011
    But when i come to a stop the engine idles around 1100rpm then drops down too 900rpm all the time.

My 1999 Sahara does the same thing- especially when ambient temps are over 70F. It drives me nuts.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• I have a 2004 that the instrument cluster just went out. The fuse is good, and i checked all the wire harness and did not find a smoking gun. I look to try the instrument cluster disconnect but could not find it. Any help? Also, the overhead lights do not work.

Thanks
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    You may want to do a physical check while it is idling and see if the throttle cable is returning to full closed position. I have a hand throttle and if I forget to turn it all the way off, it has a similar effect.

If it is idling that high and the cable is good, perhaps take it to Autozone while it is running and have them check to see if any codes are being thrown.

-Paul