Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• Hi,

I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Both front seats slides to the front and back but both seats no longer "roll-over" to allow people to get in (and out of) the backseats. This problem occurred to the driver's seat first a few months ago and it occurred to the front passenger seat just yesterday.

I'm trying to get a sense of what the problem might be and how easy/difficult it is to get it fixed (by me or a repair shop).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • Mine are doing the same thing and I can't figure it out either. Maybe someone will post something to help both of us out. Mine is a 99.
  • I had the same problem with my drivers seat. I found that the cable had stretched, not allowing the mechanism under the seat to release (roll over)
    I was a very easy fix, (do not remove the seat) under the seat you'll see the cable and and if you work the lever you'll see the cable trying to move the mechanism and you should see that when the lever is in its rest position there will be a bit of excess (stretched cable) between the stopper on the cable and the mechanism. Simply get a cable tie and zip it tight on this excess cable, just before the stopper.
    I needed 2 cable ties on mine but it works perfectly and most probably a damn site cheaper and easier than replacing the whole cable
  • I have the same problem but i found out when i redid my seats that it wasn't a stretched cable it was actually a broken cable inside the cable houseing. Still haven't fixed it but on the passanger side if you reach under the seat you will fell and upside down U if you push it down and keep you head clear of the seat you can still get the seat to flip forward. This seems to be a running problem with newer jeeps mine and my brothers both had this happen.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Check this link for how to fix the seat issue.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/seattrack.html

-Paul
  • You may want to check that the front wheel bearings are not loose. I had a chev 4x4 that would shimmy really bad when you are going just at the right speed and hit a bump or dip in the road. My 09 Jeep so far has no problem with this as of yet.
  • I have a 97 wrangler 6cyl. Only the defrosters work. the 2 front over the radio dont work as well as the larger ones on the side. I have no clue as to where to even start looking. the heat works well out of the defrosters only. any suggestions??

Also, my windshield wipers have only one speed one speed- fast! even the timing switch doesnt work. easy fix??
  • I have a 2000 TJ wrangler and trying to get my blower motor to work i have already replace the blower motor and blower motor resistor and check the fuse and i still dont blow is there anymore fuses or resistors that i need to check i put volt meter across the ends to motor and it just has like .003 volts on it and it dont change when i turn the switch im out of things to check PLEASE HELP :cry:
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    97 wrangler 6cyl. Only the defrosters work. the 2 front over the radio dont work as well as the larger ones on the side.

The diverter door, which is operated by one of the slide levers on the heater control panel, isn't moving.
    Check to see if the cable is seized or detached, or if the door is broken.

Also, my windshield wipers have only one speed one speed- fast! even the timing switch doesnt work.

Bad switch, bad motor, or a detached wire.
    I have a 2000 TJ wrangler and trying to get my blower motor to work........

On the later models the blower motor is also controlled by a relay.
    If it's not the relay that's at fault it could be the fuse that supplies it.
    Make sure you actually check the fuses for continuity, don't just look at them.

The full circuit diagrams for the 2000 blower motor, relay fuses and switch are below.

• where is the relay located under the dashboard ???
    where is the relay located under the dashboard ???

Behind the glovebox on the HVAC housing.

• you said on later models does that include my jeep im not having any luck finding that blower motor relay checks fuses under dashboard THANKS :cry:
    The illustrations and circuit diagrams are taken from the TJ 2000 Factory Service Manual. The relay is below the level of the fuses.
  • i hope u get this mac24 .have sent other questions to car junkie ,but i don't know how to get back to find info left to me.resisitoor changed before.checked again no trash or burn marks. heater blower will not come on . omhed all fuses.fine,maxie fuses also.that square relay is same as serial ## as one in power box w/maxi fuses are.took blower motor out -put straight to battery spins like new. also replaced fan switch(new).still nothing! 12volts at all fan speed settings w/switch on . please help SOMEONE
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,454
    Here's the link to your thread on Edmunds Answers where Karjunkie was helping you out:

99 Jeep Wrangler heater will not come on

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• i think you hit me up once ? i just need help ol'lady needs heat in jeep! I;ve read so much on this site since last trying to figure out ;i figured they closed it or something. i'll take any suggestions from any.i could never seem to get back to where i was asking questions before . it seems as if this is chat or something .seems easier to navigate to . don't leave me i'm going to try to look up what u give me . thanks
    It's all good - just post where you feel comfortable. Mac and the gang will take good care of you here. :-)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• unless i click ur link i don't know how to get to where i ask karjunkie questions. his last post was dec 31? will others see the questions i've asked to-nite here;;relating to others forums ?by the way are you guys on the west coast--i'm in nc eastern time zone--thanks a bunch
    Yeah, there haven't been any follow-ups to your question over on the Edmunds Answers module since 12/31. You should get an email if someone else joins in that thread over there. Answers is more of a one shot deal - ask a question and get an answer. But ask a question here on the forums and the conversation can go on for months.

Home office is on the west coast but the forum members (and the hosts) are all over North America ... and beyond. People post and comment on the CarSpace forums 24/7.

Everyone interested in Wranglers will see your questions. The discussions seem to be busiest during the work week and people don't post as much on weekends and holidays.

While waiting for responses, you can set up your CarSpace page (the My CarSpace link above) and post pics of your Jeep. Or just hang out and browse other posts. :)

• thanks;tremendously ! ! i just got to get that heat in her jeep or i'll be sleeping w/our bloodhounds--for real ! so i can say come back to say entry #1690 tommorrow and start from there ? also how do you go straight to certain individuals that seem to know more about certain models-makes .can you actually swap info to e-mail or phone. lots of interesting topics on here --i've read & read----thanks again
    No phone numbers please, and emailing each other would defeat the purpose of an online community. You're not the only person to lose their Jeep heat and others benefit from reading the online posts.

And answers can come from anyone. If you track this discussion using the Watch this Discussion link, then you can pick up where you left off using the My Watched Items post. And you can have the system email you whenever a new post is made. Or just log on and click around.

Oh, the Help link is pretty good too. Enjoy. :)

• anyone on today to help me w/heater problem ?? saw old post of a recall issue. all i got from this is to open up wirining harnness and start tracing the ground. no replacement harnness .
    I'll take a shot at it if you like.

Two questions first. One, does the blower work at all on any of the speeds?
    Two, with the heater controls set to vent (i.e. face level only, no a/c), and the heat set to hot, can you feel warm air coming from the dash vents when travelling at speed?

Finally, and this is not a flame but just a request to make things easier for me, could you post as though you were writing a novel, rather than as if you were jotting down notes in shorthand? :)
  • haven't checked here lately;thanks for responding.

first question--no; i have omhed all fuses& maxie fuses -clear
    no blower at all.took blower out; went direct to battery;spins like a top.

2nd question--yes you feel warm air ;guessing off motor when driving at vents and defrost.

put in new fan speed switch;no help. getting 12 volts at selector switch;also no trash in duct at resistor(below fan).replaced it 6 months or longer ago.(no signs of overheating like old one) arrrh 185,000 miles rear end today ! GONING TO NEED MORE HELP HERE TOO.

dropped rear plate ;left, top, bottom spider gears chewed up .left rear made popping sound in left rear that made us look when leaving home this morning.all help greatly appreciate it.
    Ok, you've established that blower motor works and that the switch is new, and that the fuses are good.
    Two possibilities, first is a bad ground at the blower, second is a break in the supply circuit.
    Check the blower ground by temporarily adding a wire directly from the negative battery terminal.
    Check the supply by first seeing if 12 volts are arriving at the switch, if not then check back towards the battery to find the break, otherwise check onward towards the blower until you find where it stops, Just check at each connector on the way.

In regard to the differential, the spider gears can be replaced if nothing else is damaged, but usually bits of gear tooth get between the ring an pinion and do irreparable damage.
    You can rebuild the diff yourself, but it's not for the faint of heart.
  • I used to have a 95 wrangler with the same engine and same size tires and I was lucky if I could go 80 on the straight way on the freeway. If there was a slight incline I too had to shift down or just slow down but it was really bad. I now have a 92 Jeep Wrangler, same size tires but the 4.0 and it is not as bad. I was told to change out the gears on my 95. Just letting you know.
  • I have an 92 Jeep Wrangler and am hearing a lot of noise in the suspension when going in and out of drive ways or large bumps. It is so loud I am embarrassed to drive it. Could it be the bushings or leaf springs? I have sprayed stuff on the bushings and have tried to stand on the bumper to hear where the noise is coming from but I cannot tell. What kind of repair shop would be the best to check this out without charging me an arm and a leg for checking it out?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Shocks, springs, or leaves would be the first places to look. I had a problem on my 97, but it turned out to be the shackles I had attached to my bumper. :)

-Paul
  • artrogersartrogers Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I have a 2006 Rubicon.

When I shift it into 4 wheel low or high and accellerate, I hear and feel a couple pops like a gear slipping. It feels like it is coming from right under the shifter. I dont leave it in four wheel because I do not want to cause damage. I have driven it in four wheel a lot and never had this happen.

I suspect something is up with the transfer case. When I look under (from the driver's side) I see a small tube with a metal flange on the end dangling there. It seems to come over the top of the transfer case from the passenger's side. Is it a vacuum tube or something?

It works fine in 2 wheel but who cares :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.