Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    ..........sometimes doesn't want to move when I accelerate.

Could you explain that a little more clearly?
    For instance, is it from a stop or while moveing? Does the engine rev up but you don't move or go any faster, or does the engine speed remain the same when you put your foot on the gas?
  • Both would be true, when I'm at a stop the vehicle feels like it wants to move, when i'm driving and I want to accelerate nothing happens, the engine doesn't rev it just doesn't seem to respond. So the engine seems to remain the same. I looked up as much as I could find and everything seemed to point to TPS so I changed it and nothing was different.
    .................................everything seemed to point to TPS so I changed it and nothing was different.

That would be true of the MAP sensor as well, but faults with either of them will usually throw up a code.
    It's beginning to sound like it's fuel related rather than electrical.
    Possibly water contaminated gas, a partially blocked fuel filter, or maybe a failing fuel pump.
    If it's any of those then the tank will have to be dropped to access the pump and filter, and to drain the final amount of gas.
  • 2001 wrangler sport Thinking of replacing soft top with :
    Safari Header top
    Windjammer
    Duster Deck Cover
    Question: How water tight would it be?
    What problems to expect?
    Also, any recommendations on cheap replacement of rear deck carpet.
    Any ideas appreciated
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Not very watertight unless you get the wraparound windjammer and have the door surrounds.

Recommendations on rear deck carpet? Line it with Monstaliner or Line-X.

-Paul
  • had new spark plugs put in yesterday today will not start the battery is good could it be the spark plugs
    had new spark plugs put in yesterday today will not start the battery is good could it be the spark plugs

Highly unlikely. What year, what engine?
    Did you keep the wires going to the right plugs? If you didn't plug the wires into the right plugs, it won't fire properly.

If it worked before you changed the plugs and not after, you apparently didn't do something right.

-Paul
    edited November 2010
    Did you keep the wires going to the right plugs?

That was my first thought, but as no details were given as to engine and year we don't know if was a model with a coil rail.
  • hey folks, :sick:

once again I am turning to the people of the most trustworthy repair forum I know for guidance in things vehicular maintenance. Yesterday I ventured to replace the thermostat on my 2000 wrangler with the 4.0 6cyl. After several cheap busted duralast gaskets (curse them) i finally got the housing to seal to the block without spewing antifreeze everywhere. then I went to put the belt back on and ran it through all the pulleys (flat to flat ribbed to ribbed) and when I went to put the last part on, i slipped it right over the idler pulley without any trouble at all. now there is a good inch or two of play in it and when i crank the engine nothing turns but the crank pulley, considering the belt wont catch. i thought, hey maybe i stretched the belt out when i pulled it off, so i went and got a brand new one. same story.
    now Ive tried several different configurations, and none work. also the only one that makes sense is the one that I used originally where i still have some play, also it looks as though the belt would rub between the idler and the tensioner pulley.

somebody please help me with this, seeing as i need my jeep back ASAP, im a lesser human being without it.
    I think it was in 2000 that the idler changed from being manually adjustable to spring loaded.
    Some 2000's had the later type and some the earlier. Which is your's?

If you had the earlier type then the answer is simple, if it's the sprung type then it's most likely you've just misrouted the belt.
  • What is a good site to post my Jeep for sale? TIA
    cars.com is probably the most widely known one.

Also consider ebay...

Local paper's online section perhaps?

Craigslist (you'll get a lot of scammers here though, but it's free).

-Paul
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,250
    AutoTrader is another, but I've always had good luck with craigslist. I put my van on craigslist last fall and had a couple of decent lookers when I decided to keep it and took the ad down.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

Yeah, AutoTrader. For some reason, I just couldn't remember that name!!!

-Paul
  • my blower works but i cant switch from floor to defrost when i switch them i cant hear anything happening
  • where does the vacuum lines hook up to for my heater on my 97 wrangler. does one hook up to something under my battery.
  • I know it;s a common problem I have a 2000 tj wrangler and it blower motor will not run on any speed I have changed the motor itself and the switch and the resistor under the glovebox still hadnt got it to run, has anybody got any ideas . I have replace just about everything . IM LOST and it's cold in the mornings THANKS
    Yes, the vacuum reservoir is in that area.
    Before changing electrical components like that you need first to check that current is being delivered to them.

Your problem could easily be a blown fuse or broken wire.
  • Did this problem with the blower motor/heater ever get solved?
  • No problem not fixed I really trying to figure out to tell if i have power in plug that goes to switch dont know what wires are what and it's 15 here alittle chil ride ly
  • this place has been great to me so far... i can't remember how many things i've been able to fix just by reading the stuff here... many thanks for that!!! i hope you can help with this one...

when i get into my 98 wrangler cold, it runs great for as long as i want. when i park it, go in somewhere for a while and then when i come out, start up, it will drive ok for about 10 t0 15 seconds then it hesitates, splutters, pops, stutters, just like there was a choke messing up... after about 30 seconds to a minute of that, it straightens out and runs like it should...

i changed out plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor... that helped a little, but it still does it...

i've done some reading on the web and think maybe there's an O2 sensor that can cause this? what do you guys think?
  • This sounds like the safety device in the trans is kicking in. It is designed to prevent you from pulling loads greater then it can handle and prevent damage to the trans.

Several things may cause this. For myself it was a Snow plow, too much air pressure against it at high speeds.

For you it may be something different. Towing a trailer, improper tire size to gear ratio, other accessories attached to the outside of the vehicle causing wind resistance, etc. or a faulty safety device in the trans.

Hope this helps.
  • Your initial problem seems similar to mine, I have yet to determine the actual cause. When I accelerate, there is a metal on metal scraping sound from the transmission. Clutch depressed or at a level speed, the sound goes away.

I have a 2004 wrangler with 120K mi. The only repairs I have had to make on it so far were at 80K mi, the shocks and brakes. at 100K the water pump, and from what i see now, at 124K the rear main seal leak, and this transmission problem. I would have to say that this has been a very trouble free vehicle for me. And hope that your luck will be better with your next one.
  • nobody have a clue?
    The best place to start with his sort of issue is is to check for codes.
    Although not necessarily relevent in this case, it's also a good idea to mention which engine you have.
    If you want a WAG, then before investigating the O2 sensors I'd check out the IAT (Inlet Air Temperature) sensor. It's on the inlet manifold.
  • My 2005 Grand Cherokee heat/AC blower ONLY works on the highest speed, is this a switch or blower issue...or both??
    I don't have any specs for the GC to hand (this is a Wrangler Forum), but if it's like most other Jeep HVAC systems then the resistor pack that's used to reduce the fan speed on the slower settings has probably burned out.
    There's also the possibility that the resistor circuit is fused separately from the direct high speed one, so check your handbook to see if the blower circuit has two fuses.
    Finally, it's possible that the switch is faulty, but this is the least likely cause.
  • I have seen this problem a few times this year on dodge vehicles. On my own wrangler as well. Each time it was related to the resistors burning out. In most cases replacing the switch component will fix this problem as the resistors are often attached to it switch unit.

In most cases this is not a very difficult item to replace if you know some basics and have patience. I do not recommend replacing only the bad resistor as the problem could reoccur sooner than you may like.

But as always in any electrical situation... Always check all of your fuses first. ;)