Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    You may also want to check your transmission mounts on your cross member/skid plate. If it is broken, you may have to replace it. Fortunately it IS something you can do yourself as long as you have a floor jack to hold the transmission up once you remove the skid plate. I THINK it is only about $30.00 for the OEM part...

-Paul
    Sounds like the door that directs flow is not working properly. I know on Grand Cherokee's it is called a blend door, and I THINK it is the same thing on the TJ's.

-Paul
  • tnc2008tnc2008 Posts: 2
    I have a 99 wrangler 4.0 5 sp. I was sitting in traffic today and it died on me. Tried to start it back would not start. Pushed it into a parking lot got in it and it started right up, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
  • skimsurfskimsurf Posts: 6
    I need to know what, if any sequence to remove a transmission from a 94 wrangler 2.5l 5 speed. I know I got about 6-7 bolts after I get through the skid plate, but after that Im lost. Never done any drive train work, I just need to know if there is a sequence in the bolts to take out so I dont damage anything else while I take this on. I plan on doing this tomorrow, well, today the 2nd of april, so the quicker the response the better. Get back to me ASAP. Thanks!
  • skimsurfskimsurf Posts: 6
    Im bettin starter. I got a 94 and if its anything like mine the starter is built into the flywheel. Did, it make a squeal when it happened? It may have just stopped up with the fly wheel, and pushing it just broke it lose. Just a guess, but it happened to me last year, and mine did that but didnt start back up, and I had to replace the starter, look into it. peace.
    I'd get it to AutoZone and have any codes read. It sounds like an idle sensor or throttle sensor if I had to make a guess. Both are pretty easy to change. I'd also check your plugs/wires/etc and see about doing a tune up if it has been a while.

-Paul
  • tnc2008tnc2008 Posts: 2
    I bought a 99 jeep wrangler a few months ago and it had been doing great till it died on me in traffic and i had to push it into a parking lot. When i got it there i got in it and started right up. I heard maybe it could be a crankshaft position sensor. A few days before this happened my idle started acting up. It would idle up and down from about 700 to 1300 rpms. None of this started untill it started getting a little warmer outside.
    thanks
  • gfanelligfanelli Posts: 1
    For some reason my blower only blows air out of the vents for the defroster, air will not come out of the vents on the dash board regardless of what setting the control switch is set on. Is there anyone who can give me some advise on what to check ??
    Thanks
    They are called blend doors and regulate the flow of air to the various vents. Fairly common on Jeeps, esp the Grand Cherokees (WJ's) but not uncommon on TJ's.

-Paul
  • bolden88bolden88 Posts: 4
    Just went through this with my 04. The starter was seized just enough not to start on it's own power. Given the extra power with a jump it would start. Eventually it wouldn't even start with a jump.. Replaced the starter and it has been fine since... 10 minutes to replace the starter. It is easily accessable from under the vehicle. $95.- for a new one.....
  • racepicsracepics Posts: 1
    A friend has a problem with momentary juice to coil lasts about 5sec then no power
    to coil any ideas?
  • hmaxhmax Posts: 1
    have a leak down by the bottom hose- replaced hose and still leaking - does any body have an idea - seem to be leaking fom engine - help 97 4 cyl
  • Thanks for your answer, Jeeper3, I have a 2005 X model and yesterday was super hot here in So Calif and the A/c did exactly like you described - all the cold air came out of the defroster. I found th vaccum hose on the intake maiifold had come off. I have 2 questions for anyone who can help: 1) the end of the vavccum hose that fits over the intake maniforld fitting is extremely loose fitting. Should it be tight? It appears to be holding but I was considering putting a tywrap on it but maybe it is supposed to be loose?? 2) there was a very slight amount of oil on the end of the hose and the intake maifold fitting- I cleaned it off but is this normal? The jeep has 7000 miles. Thanks again Jeeper3 and everyone
  • Hi Please check my message # 1238. It was a vaccum hose that fell of the right side of the engine on the intake manifod. I dont know why but it is an easy fix. Good luck
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    1: It shouldn't be loose. Sounds like a clamp is missing, rather than a ty-wrap, if it's the vacuum hose to the brake booster that you're referring to.. Go to a Jeep dealer and have a look under the hood of a similar model.

2: Yes, a slight amount of oil is normal
  • sflajeepsflajeep Posts: 2
    I love my 2003 Jeep Wrangler I just bought it a few months back to replace a BMW. The weather down here in Florida alows me to drive around with the top down most of the time. Now the problem seems to be the same as others, when I turn on the a/c the cold air is blowing out of the defrost vents. it does not matter what function, heat, defrost, or a/c it all blows out the defrost vents.
    what should I be looking for? are there any manuals on line that I can refferance?
    Thanks
  • Hi
    I think your problem is exactly the same as my 05 Wrangler X . I assume you have a 6 cylinder (the 4 cylinder may be a bit different) - open the hood and look at the top right side of the engine. There is an intake manifold that is long and runs parallel to the engine valve cover. About 1/2 way along the intake manifold is a small fitting where a small hose fits on. My guess is the hose has slipped off the fitting. This happened to me and I just cleaned the hose off and reseated the hose over the fitting. Mine is real loose fitting so if it falls of again I will secure it with a Ty-wrap. This hose is small (around 3/8") and gose up from the intake mainfold and around the rear of the engine. This totally solved my problem and I am sure your a/c will be good as new!
  • Hi Mac

This hose is very small, unlike the brake booster hose, and fits wery loosely. It dosent seem to be deterioriated at all. I will take your suggestion and see how these are secured on another jeep. thanks for your input
  • Hi, I had a 97 Wrangler Sport with the same problem. The 97's had horizontal sliders for the HVAC controls and the plastic clip on the the mpush/pull cable and the clip came off and the xcontrol operated but the cable did nothing.. I remember it was easy to clip back on and that should solve your problem
    of where this vacuum hose is? I'd just like to check mine. I'm curious now. :)

-Paul