Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• I need to remove the blower motor on my 2002 Wrangler ,but can't seem to find the screws to remove them, it's underneath the glove compartment dash . Any help PLEASE
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    No screws as it has a release tab. Disconnect the wiring harness, operate the release tab, then rotate the motor assembly counter clockwise and withdraw it from the HVAC unit. Reverse the process to install.

Earlier models are bolted in and are removed from the engine side of the firewall after removing the battery.
  • tyoshutyoshu Posts: 31
    I have a 06 Rubicon and it decided not to start after I got to work today. I have lights on the dashboard and I hear one click when I turn the ignition key after that I hear what sounds like something else trying to engage like maybe the solinoid. Another issue I see when I open the drivers door the speed and rpm gauges on the dash start to jump or pulse. I disconnected the battery and then reconnected it to see if it was just a loose connected and I also banged on the started but neither solved the problem. Any ideas what could be the problem?
  • Sounds stupid, but it is time for my 04 to have a tune-up (actually WAY over due) but I cannot find the plugs and wirings. I try to find a repair manual but 04 info is tough to find. Thanks
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    On the 4.0L 6–cylinder engine the spark plugs are located below the coil rail assembly.

(1) Prior to removing the spark plug, spray compressed air around the spark plug hole and the area around the spark plug. This will help prevent foreign material from entering the combustion chamber.
    (2) Remove the spark plug using a quality socket with a rubber or foam insert.
    (3) Inspect the spark plug condition to make sure they are burning/wearing properly.

-Paul
    Paul is quite correct, but I think you need a step by step article with pictures.

The plugs are hidden under this coil rail:

and there's lots of pictures and instructions here:

R & R Wrangler Coil Rail
    My lowly 97 2.5L doesn't have no stinkin' rail. I have 4 wires and a distributor. Makes it easy. :)

-Paul
  • I have an 06 wrangler X and my clutch clicks when it engages but not all the time, more often when I first start driving. I thought it was due to some cheap plastic part.
  • i have an 02 wrangler with a 4.0,i had a light that came on on instrument panel that said check gauges,took it to be diagnosed at auto parts...said the alternator was bad,put a new one on..same problem....i also replaced the battery,checked and cleaned battery connections,still same problem...any ideas
  • try oil pressure switch which is located almost right above the oil pump i think it has one maybe 2 wires coming from it costs about 30 bucks
  • next time your check gauges light comes on look very closely to all of your gauges especially the oil pressure gauge, your problem might actually be oil pressure switch as well
  • rselfrself Posts: 9
    check the throtle position sensor
  • rselfrself Posts: 9
    my 97 did that and it was the wheel bearings i could not shake it by hand but it didnt do it again after i replaced the bearings
  • my 97 wrangler 2.5 liter 5 speed has trouble starting it takes 2-3 tries to finally turn on and when it does it sounds like if it wants to turn off but after a while it idles fine but when i first drive it after it starts its stalls on first gear after that its fine believe it could be fuel pump and starter already changed plugs and wires and air filter need help thanks
  • Will a 2001 4cyl 2.5 jeep wrangler engine fit in a 1997 jeep wrangler
    It should bolt straight in to a '97SE, though not anything with a 4.0.

You may have to alter your wiring or swap parts to accomodate the coil rail ignition on the later engine.
    What he said... I thought the mounting points for the engine were located in slightly different spots. (assuming one was a 4.0L engine-equipped).

Mac, any issues with the transmission? 97's have the Ax-5 manual or some kind of automatic. Not sure what the 2001's used.

-Paul
    Engine mounts and 101 other things are different between the 4.0 and 2.5, so for all practical purposes a 2.5 is only worth fitting in another SE.

Both manual and automatic transmissions are the same for both the '97 and the '01, AX5 and 30RH.
    The crankshaft and engine block are the same for both transmssions.

However, I was incorrect about the coil rail, as the '01 engine will have a distributor just like the '97.
  • I cant figure out why my tail lights will not turn off when I turn the car off and it keep draining my battery?? Any ideas as to why?
    The tail lights aren't supposed to turn off when you turn the engine off, you control them with the light switch.

If you're referring to the brake lights, then they too run independent of the ignition switch and should illuminate whenever the brake pedal is depressed.

If they come on at any time without the pedal being pressed, then the problem is most likely a faulty brake light switch.