Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• Thanks, I will ask if he did that.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    First, does it have ABS, as that can sometimes complicate things. Second, the reason you have no pedal pressure is that there is still air in the system. To begin to fix this you first need to know where the air is. You need to isolate the front calipers and rear cylinders from the rest of the system. You do this by clamping each of the flexible hoses, two front and one back, with either a special clamp made from round rod so that it won't damage the hose, or some locking pliers with something in the jaws to protect the hose.

Correct tool

Shadetree tool

Now when you depress the pedal it will either be solid, or will sink to the floor again. If it's solid then the air is trapped in one or more of the calipers or cylinders. You can then release the clamps one at a time to establish one(s). If the pedal is still soft then the air is either in the master cylinder, ABS pump, or the hard brake lines.

The Wrangler doesn't have an unusual brake system, and this technique can be used on almost any vehicle.
  • tammypptammypp Posts: 1
    hi
    can anyone tell me how to replace the tip and slide cable in my 2000 sport or tell me where i can get this information its nothing more than a pain to get the kids in the back seat my husband removed the seat but didn't want to take it all apart not sure it would go back the right way he found the cable and it is broke inside the seat maybe a diagram of how the cable runs through the seat if anyone can help
    thanks
  • 99tjguy99tjguy Posts: 2
    I am going through the same problem right now with my 99 Wrangler. I have found the key release broken and have a new one to replace it. The problem I have now is that I still can't get it to turn did you resolve your issue??? How??? to
  • mcleodmcleod Posts: 2
    Hi everybody. This is my first time on this board and I had a question about oil pressure on my jeep. When I first bought it the oil pressure was reading 40 when first started and read about 50 when driving 55 60 mph. About 2 weeks after I bought it I noticed the oil pressure was creeping toward 55 and 60 going same speed. Now this is my first Jeep and I admit I do not know alot about them. I am not sure if this is normal or not. It does not seem normal but as previously stated I do not have alot of knowledge on them. Any help would be appreciated.
    Probably nothing to worry about, but to establish a baseline change the oil and filter. Remember, oil pressure will be lower at idle than at speed, and will be higher when cold than when hot. Changing the oil and filter will eliminate the possibility of a problem with the filter, and the possibility that the seller might have put some kind of additive in the oil.
    Yes, it could be the plugs and wires (and the cap and rotor). You should also clean the inside of the throttle body. The fluctuating oil pressure gauge could be caused by a faulty sender.
  • mcleodmcleod Posts: 2
    That's what I was thinking and it's good to hear someone else opinion. Thanks for your help.
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Posts: 270
    This link should be helpful.

Click here
  • jt828jt828 Posts: 12
    GOD I LOVE MY TJ ;) sounds like you need something else :cry: :cry:
  • jt828jt828 Posts: 12
    whats the deal with the heavy duty warn steering stabilizer?
    GOD I LOVE MY TJ sounds like you need something else

You've lost me there. :confuse:
    whats the deal with the heavy duty warn steering stabilizer?

The standard Wrangler stabilizer is perfectly adequate for tires up to at least 33". It exists to dampen any kickback through the steering if the tire strikes something at speed.

A steering damper can also dampen oscillation caused by worn or loose steering components. People sometimes fit a larger damper instead of fixing the original problem.
  • danooodanooo Posts: 2
    200 V6 WRANGLER I HAD A NEW RADIATOR PUT IN BY MY TRUSTED MECHANIC. NO DOUBT THAT MY RADIATOR DID NEED REPLACING AS THE SEALS WERE BAD.I AM STILL HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE RESERVOIR. EVERY WEEK IT IS DOWN ABOUT HALFWAY. THE MECHANIC IS GOING TO LOOK AT IT THIS WEEK, BUT I WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS, SUGGESTIONS ETC.

THANKS DAN
  • Have you ever fixed it??? Mine started that way now I have intermittant horn wipers or signals....please help!!
  • And I forgot, if I hit the steering wheel in the middle, sometimes they will all be functional again! Dont ask how I figured this out!! :)
    And I forgot, if I hit the steering wheel in the middle, sometimes they will all be functional again! Dont ask how I figured this out!!

You might get a reprimand from Tom for Jeep abuse........ he encourages people to hug their Jeeps. :blush:

Actually, by hitting the wheel and getting a temporary fix you've pretty much confirmed the diagnosis, which is either a badly grounded or faulty clockspring. The clockspring is a device contained within the steering wheel, which allows an electrical connection to be maintained between the controls and airbag in the wheel and the rest of the vehicle, while still allowing the wheel to rotate. A common precursor to this problem is allowing the wheel/column to get wet.
  • I'm having a bear of a time getting and keeping the zippers on my '98 Wrangler moving. Does anybody have any tips on what to use to get them unstuck and keep them sliding with ease? Any favorite products? Tips? Techniques?
    Please help! Thanks!
    There's various products out there, probably most easily obtained at camping or marine stores, or Walmart. Most commonly available in the form of a stick of hard wax.

To get them unstuck try very hot water first, or something like WD40 as a last resort.
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Posts: 270
    I heard to just use candles. Rub it all over the zippers. I just had to replace 2 of my zippers. I guess too much dust and dirt gets in there and causes problems.