Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• I have an 04' Jeep Wrangler with about 108K miles on it. Standard Transmission. This past summer I started to hear a whistling noise from the motor. It would stop when I would accelerate and start when I let off the gas pedal. I was told this was more than likely my throw out bearing (Already) going out...? If so, is there a cheap fix to quiet the whistling until it goes all the way out? I don't really have a ton of money to invest in this problem right now. Thanks.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    It sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak- not a bad throw-out bearing.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• smokie46smokie46 Posts: 4
    It's been a while since I've been on this site...I took the door apart again, and decided to unhook the linkage between the key lock cylinder and the latch. It's only about 4 inches long. After doing that, I can lock the door (inside only) and unlock it (inside only) and it works the right way. Only problem is that I can't unlock it from the outside now, and thats ok with me.
  • I have a stock 1997 wrangler, everything is stock.. I cant keep sway bar pins in this thing.. Always breaking or shearing bolts.. Never experienced anything like this before and have no idea why this is happening.. Any ideas ??
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Yep, lousy design. :) Either that or you're driving like Mario Andretti.

Just get a good set of aftermarket sway bar end links like JKS's quicker disconnects and never look back. They make a version that works from 0" of lift up to 3" of lift and a version that works 4-6" of lift. So even if you lift up your TJ, these will grow with you. :)

-Paul
  • skyking49skyking49 Posts: 112
    While I am sure that it would solve his problem, I am not as quick to advise him to buy new ones. If you can fix the problem yourself, (I couldn't) then by all means do it. I don't know about others here but I simply do not have money laying around to buy new stuff. I try to fix it or have a friend fix it and as a last resort..I buy whatever I need..within a very small budget.
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I try to fix it or have a friend fix it and as a last resort..

I agree with the sentiment wholeheartedly, but broken sway bar links aren't fixable and replacements aren't cheap.
    It's actually going to be less expensive to go with aftermarket disconnects than to keep replacing the OE parts.

As to why he's breaking them I have no idea, except that constant extreme asymmetrical flexing of the sway bar will do it.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Buying 1 set of JKS links will be cheaper than buying multiple sets of OEM links. I don't know about you, but I don't like to buy something twice. I don't have the money to buy the same (flimsy) part more than once. Pay more for the initial investment and stop worrying about it - and get a better product. Now if the endlinks are free, go for it, but you are spending TIME now, which to me is even more valuable than money, doing the same repair multiple times. You pick.

Only thing that makes sense to me on the situation is either:

1. Somebody is offroading enough w/o disconnecting the end links.
    2. Sway bar may be bent enough that strain is placed on one of the endlinks. May be worth removing it entirely and examining it to see if it is bent with one side higher/lower than the other.

-Paul
  • johnhewittjohnhewitt Posts: 1
    After starting up my '97 6 cyl wrangler for the first time in several weeks with a weak battery and after last use off road in snow and mud the engine idle speed is very high; above 2000 rpm.

Throttle seems to be working, vacuum lines all seem to attached. Could there be an engine speed sensor obscured by dirt and if so where do I find it ?

Thanks a million for your help.

John.
    If the battery is now properly charged, disconnect it for five minutes to clear the secondary settings in the PCM.
    If not, disconnect the battery and fully charge it, then reinstall and you should be good to go.
    Your issue is not uncommon when starting with a low battery.
  • at idle, my 2000 Wrangler six auto rpm will go up several hundred rpm and then come back to about 900. Kind of pulsating. I need to keep the brake depressed firmly or it will actually go ahead. Does it in park as well

Any help?
  • Hello,
    I have a 2002 wrangler with the 4.0 engine + a/c serpentine belt needs replaced. Chilton manual - not very helpful anybody have experience with this? is there a spring-loaded tensioner or adjuster bolt? any info would be helpful THANKS!
    m.t.
  • Is the "check engine" light on?
    It's easier to show you than to explain. Your's should be the automatic tensioner shown here but pre '00 models use a manually adjusted one.

• Thanks Mac! is this page out of the oem manual? do tell...
    I've quite a bit of experience with gm products - not so much with chrysler/jeep.
    We used to be able to change out a belt like this without really "removing" the tensioner - just springing it + holding in place. is this possible here? do tell...
    and Thank you again
  • aliebhartaliebhart Posts: 1
    :confuse: I have a 98 wrangler tj sport, and when i went to remove the doors the nuts broke right off of the bolt on the door hinges (breaking the actual long bolt through the hinge) am I going to have to get whole new hinges... or is there someplace i can just get the new nut and bolt somewhere!?

Thanks!
    Thanks Mac! is this page out of the oem manual?

Yes, it's from the '02 FSM.
  • I have combustion gas leakage into the cooling system after the engine runs about
    60 minutes, so I thought I may have a loose bolt, but no manual, and I am over in the Middle East, so I need to know what torque I should look for on my torque wrench when I test the head bolts
    100ft.lbs. Good luck.
  • My jeep had been sitting for like 3 years because it broke down and I just bought a new truck. now I want to get it running again. I replaced the starter and the clutch slave cylinder. Now I just need a rear drive shaft. When I start it it sounds like there is a leak in the intake or something like that and I get an error code 25. It says nothing about fixing this in my jeep manual. I can not find any repair online can someone help me?