Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• coomesacoomesa Posts: 1
    Intermitently will not start and when does runs good at idle but give it gas and acts like it wants to die. Have put new fuel tank, filter, pump and plugs, wires, etc. Other times can get in and fires up and runs like a champ.
    Could this be an alternator not giving enough juice or is it something bigger? Any hekp would be great!!
  • I recently put a 4" suspension lift and 33" tires on my 03' wrangler and the only problem that I have is when I hit about 30mph, or hit a bump the front tires shake extremely bad. Need some serious help!
  • mdljmtmdljmt Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Wrangler with a 4cly. When driving and hitting a bump the engine will cut out. I think it is a electrical problem.
  • i reciently returned to sweden and imported my 2000 wrangler se with me.in order to register my jeep in sweden i had to make some changes, european signal lights etc ,but they also need specs to show that the noise level complies to european standards.
    has anyboby any ideas of where i could get these as the alternative is to bring it to a lab which will measure this.
    it is a standard se with no modifications and jeep europe has been unable to help me.

so if anybody can help me with knowledge of the noise output for a 2000 jeep se i would be very grateful.
    david
  • Hi fellow Jeepers, I'm new to this site. wasn't sure how to post my question/problem?
    has anyone encounterd a oilly/hydrolic type fliud leak from a thin black rubber hose up under the driver side wheel well , behind the gas cap?? anyone? ,anyone?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    When posting a fresh question, just go to the bottom of the page and enter an appropriate title, then your message, then post it. Always try to give vehicle details like year, model, engine size, etc. Replying to a previous message with a new question makes a future search difficult.

The hose in question is probably the breather pipe for your axle case. It allows the air in the axle to expand and contract as it heats and cools, and the hose is routed up high to prevent water intrusion. The hose could be partially blocked, or the axle could be overfilled.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    What Mac said. If you have fluid coming out of that, think of this:

- Did you recently change the fluid? If so, it is probably filled too high.
    - Did you recently drive through some muck? If so, you may have gotten some junk in the hose.

You can remove it from the back of the axle fairly easily and see if the hose is blocked with anything.

-Paul
  • thanks for the quick responses (both of you). i have not had anything done to the jeep when i noticed this lek. it was 2 months ago , and the thin hose had a clear plastic cap that was cracked. i assumed from cold weather. i live in nashua NH. i was in 4 wd through some snow of and on? the jeep is '01 sport 56k excellent cond. ?? any more sug. or confident in last ans.??
    The easiest way to be sure is to follow the path of the hose to its point of origination.
  • does it sound like a major concern, the jeep is driving and shifting just as it was before(great)??
    Anything out of the ordinary is worth investigating. In this case, if the hose is getting blocked it can lead to oil being pushed past the wheel bearing seals and contaminating the brakes.
  • jt828jt828 Posts: 12
    do you think that this might fix the wobbling in the front end i have the same wobble that id metioned i have 35x12.50 around and i wouls love to FIX it
    You first need to determine if you have wheel balance problem, or if it's an oscillation caused by loose or worn steering and suspension components, or if it's being caused by a propshaft that's now out of alignment due to a lift.

An oversized steering stabilizer won't help with the first or last, but may mask the symptoms of the second for a while.........until they wear further.
  • uboat27uboat27 Posts: 3
    Has anyone had trouble with their clutch push rod breaking? Mine snap with only 2052 miles on the jeep. The entire push rod is made of plastic and the service center swears this has never happen before. It has been at the dealer for almost for a week waiting on a back order clutch master cylinder. What is the earlier TJ clutch push rod made of, plastic or metal?
  • jpb9258jpb9258 Posts: 3
    I just got a 95 wrangler with the 4 cylinder engine. It was running well but always idled a little rough. It is a stick shift. Now when you go to accelerate it boughs down or flattens out won't pick up properly. Sometimes it gets so bad I have to pull off the road, loses power but does not stop running, wait and rev it up a little and it goes again. It looks like a new distributor cap was put on and probably new wires. I put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank but have not run it much for fear of getting stuck. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do. Thanks for any help. Joe
  • jpb9258jpb9258 Posts: 3
    I just cleaned the distributor cap and plugs and air horn and it is running worse missing like crazy can hardly get it down the block hopefully someone has an idea for me. 95 wranglet manual 2.5 liter 4 cylinder. It starts up fairly easily and normally though. Thanks for anyones help. Joe.
    Do remember that this a forum rather than a chat room. A response may take some time.

It very much sounds like a fuel problem. First place to look would be a blocked fuel filter.
  • I just bought a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition. I bought it from a used dealer and therefore it did not come with an owner's manuel or anything like that. It's a soft top and I would like to know how to take the soft top off, but I can't seem to figure out by myself. Could someone with a Wrangler please tell me how to go about removing my soft top?? :confuse:
  • uboat27uboat27 Posts: 3
    I've discovered that if you own a 2006 Wrangler X with the 6-Speed transmission you may be without a ride soon. I went back to the shop and confirmed the part was made of plastic. There are no replacement parts available in the United States with several on back order. The dealership will not make a temporary repair due to liability concerns. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) website list 3 complaints to date. Unless the clutch master cylinder is replaced with an upgrade push rod the vehicle should be consider unreliable