Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Maintenance and Repair Questions (1997 - 2006)

Comments

• thanks;tremendously ! ! i just got to get that heat in her jeep or i'll be sleeping w/our bloodhounds--for real ! so i can say come back to say entry #1690 tommorrow and start from there ? also how do you go straight to certain individuals that seem to know more about certain models-makes .can you actually swap info to e-mail or phone. lots of interesting topics on here --i've read & read----thanks again
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    No phone numbers please, and emailing each other would defeat the purpose of an online community. You're not the only person to lose their Jeep heat and others benefit from reading the online posts.

And answers can come from anyone. If you track this discussion using the Watch this Discussion link, then you can pick up where you left off using the My Watched Items post. And you can have the system email you whenever a new post is made. Or just log on and click around.

Oh, the Help link is pretty good too. Enjoy. :)
  • anyone on today to help me w/heater problem ?? saw old post of a recall issue. all i got from this is to open up wirining harnness and start tracing the ground. no replacement harnness .
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    I'll take a shot at it if you like.

Two questions first. One, does the blower work at all on any of the speeds?
    Two, with the heater controls set to vent (i.e. face level only, no a/c), and the heat set to hot, can you feel warm air coming from the dash vents when travelling at speed?

Finally, and this is not a flame but just a request to make things easier for me, could you post as though you were writing a novel, rather than as if you were jotting down notes in shorthand? :)
  • haven't checked here lately;thanks for responding.

first question--no; i have omhed all fuses& maxie fuses -clear
    no blower at all.took blower out; went direct to battery;spins like a top.

2nd question--yes you feel warm air ;guessing off motor when driving at vents and defrost.

put in new fan speed switch;no help. getting 12 volts at selector switch;also no trash in duct at resistor(below fan).replaced it 6 months or longer ago.(no signs of overheating like old one) arrrh 185,000 miles rear end today ! GONING TO NEED MORE HELP HERE TOO.

dropped rear plate ;left, top, bottom spider gears chewed up .left rear made popping sound in left rear that made us look when leaving home this morning.all help greatly appreciate it.
    Ok, you've established that blower motor works and that the switch is new, and that the fuses are good.
    Two possibilities, first is a bad ground at the blower, second is a break in the supply circuit.
    Check the blower ground by temporarily adding a wire directly from the negative battery terminal.
    Check the supply by first seeing if 12 volts are arriving at the switch, if not then check back towards the battery to find the break, otherwise check onward towards the blower until you find where it stops, Just check at each connector on the way.

In regard to the differential, the spider gears can be replaced if nothing else is damaged, but usually bits of gear tooth get between the ring an pinion and do irreparable damage.
    You can rebuild the diff yourself, but it's not for the faint of heart.
  • I used to have a 95 wrangler with the same engine and same size tires and I was lucky if I could go 80 on the straight way on the freeway. If there was a slight incline I too had to shift down or just slow down but it was really bad. I now have a 92 Jeep Wrangler, same size tires but the 4.0 and it is not as bad. I was told to change out the gears on my 95. Just letting you know.
  • I have an 92 Jeep Wrangler and am hearing a lot of noise in the suspension when going in and out of drive ways or large bumps. It is so loud I am embarrassed to drive it. Could it be the bushings or leaf springs? I have sprayed stuff on the bushings and have tried to stand on the bumper to hear where the noise is coming from but I cannot tell. What kind of repair shop would be the best to check this out without charging me an arm and a leg for checking it out?
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Shocks, springs, or leaves would be the first places to look. I had a problem on my 97, but it turned out to be the shackles I had attached to my bumper. :)

-Paul
  • artrogersartrogers Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I have a 2006 Rubicon.

When I shift it into 4 wheel low or high and accellerate, I hear and feel a couple pops like a gear slipping. It feels like it is coming from right under the shifter. I dont leave it in four wheel because I do not want to cause damage. I have driven it in four wheel a lot and never had this happen.

I suspect something is up with the transfer case. When I look under (from the driver's side) I see a small tube with a metal flange on the end dangling there. It seems to come over the top of the transfer case from the passenger's side. Is it a vacuum tube or something?

It works fine in 2 wheel but who cares :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • fedsfeds Posts: 3
    I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler with 135K miles and the check engine light came on, the code that came up is 12 and I belive it says that the Power Control Module has recently been disconnected. Where is that?
    It's the electronics box on the engine side of the firewall on the passenger side of the vehicle.
    However, that code can also come upo if the battery has been recently disconnected too.
  • nav30nav30 Posts: 3
    my '97 started losing power when shifting through the gears and would not rev past 3,000 rpms. It would not do more than 55mph. Press the accelerator and ...nothing. It would spit and sputter a bit but, no increase in speed. This started after I noticed a noise coming from underneath which sounded like a broken clamp rattling on the exhaust pipe. After climbing underneath, the noise was coming from the muffler itself. Loose/broken baffle? Would this cause the loss in power and not allow the engine to rev? :confuse:
    This started after I noticed a noise coming from underneath which sounded like a broken clamp rattling on the exhaust pipe. After climbing underneath, the noise was coming from the muffler itself.

Are you sure it was the muffler? While it could be a loose baffle, those are also the symptoms of a bad cat.
  • nav30nav30 Posts: 3
    thanks mac24. not a 100% sure so i'm going to replace the cat and muffler. I'll post the results.
    mac is pretty much dead on. If you take a rubber mallet to your catalytic converter (located pretty much directly under the passenger seat), and it sounds like marbles, you found your problem. A bad cat will suck power, and likely be cause for bad emissions. if your TJ is under 80,000 miles, I BELIEVE it is covered now, even being an older TJ... Check with your dealer.

-Paul
  • anv1190anv1190 Posts: 4
    I have a '97 wrangler 4.0l 6cyl. When I turn the heat on its starts to make a wind up noise than sounds like a snap. I think the wiring is a bit messed up, but there is only on temp which is HOT! Theres also an ongoing sound of rocks rolling in what I think the two upper heaters above the radio? Any ideas to what the problem is or maybe a solution????
  • rhs243rhs243 Posts: 1
    PLEASE HELP!!! I have a 1999 jeep with a 2.5L. On Saturday it stopped running. All it would do is crank. I started to test it i tested the fuel it was good then the ignition and the wildest thing happened. I put a adjustable spark tester on the coil wire and the thing started right up. It had a great ark about a 1" long. I took the tester out and it would not start. put it back in and it ran great. took it out and put on a plug wire no spark! I'm pulling my hair out
    please help
    not sure on the heat thing other than perhaps your cable on your slider for your HVAC isn't connected and it is stuck in the hot position.

For the rattling, you may want to open up your dash and reach in there. You MAY have dirt/rocks, something in there that fell in while top was down/off. Those telescopic mirrors and a flashlight may help you look further down into the ventilation ducts.

-Paul
    Replace the coil wire. If that's not it, replace the coil. It'll be one or the other.