Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Trooper TOD and 4WD Problems

2»

Comments

• Tod check light on my 2002 Trooper flashes codes 13, 14, and 24.

Bought a shop manual on CD.

Shorted pin 8 on C-63 to ground and generated aforementioned trouble codes. Presumably, the code 13 (reference short circuited to ground) is causing the other 2 speed sensor codes.

Per shop manual, pin 15 on the TOD Control Unit is connected to pin F-11 on the Powertrain Control Module through connectors B-49, H-12 and H-57 respectively. Disconnected wiring harness from TOD control unit and read direct short to ground on pin 15 of plug B-49. Went to pin F11 of connector E-54 on the Powertrain Control Module and read no continuity to pin 15/B-49 or short to ground. I did have continuity between F11/E-54 to pin 16 on what I believe to be connector H-57. The connector between H-57 and B-49 is H-12.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE H-12 IS LOCATED? I have practically torn the car apart looking for this connector. The parts location page in the manual is of little or no help. I am ready to rig a jumper/bypass wire from pin 15/B-49 to pin 16/H-57 and hope for the best. All suggestion are welcome.

p.s. I have just replaced the second transmission in two years. I am presuming that someone pinched a wire during the process causing the TOD short circuit issue.
  • anywayanyway Posts: 6
    I have a 1996 isuzu trooper and for some reason my dashboard is making this clicking noise and the battery light brake light and other lights come on. Then when the clicking starts my sensors to show if i am over heating or if the battery voltage is low starts to go back and forth like crazy. Can someone please tell me what that is and how to fix it. I am just hoping that i am not on the freeway driving and my car stalls because of this problem. :sick:
  • I think my car is stuck in 4 wheel drive. I got in the car today and the Torque on demand rear wheels are lit up green, I have no idea how this happened or how to fix it.
  • rfleminrflemin Posts: 5
    Whenever this happens to me, it's because I hit the AUTO button on the dash instead of the Hazard (4-way flashing lights) button that is right next to it.
  • I just bought a 2002 Trooper with 95K miles on it. The TOD display is blinking all four wheels and the CHECK light below the display. I read a bunch of the posts here and figured it was the VSV like others have talked about. The Blue swich was broken so we replaced both of them. The problem is still the same.

the Auto switch does nothing. If you have the 4wd shifter in 4 wheel high truck drives fine. Can't get it to shift into 4 wheel low but if you put the shiter into Neutral (I assunme this is correct) the truck is literally in neutral no matter what gear the column shifter is set for. I am about to lose my mind with this thing... Can any one help me with this? Could it be the TOD ESM? The speed sensor I read about? Also the ABS light is lit, could that have any significance?
  • Just to follow up: I replaced a relay and got the Trooper started, but it kept acting funny and finally died. I had it towed to a shop where they said that the battery had overflowed (don't think so, cause it was fairly new and I had just washed off some corrosion) and the fuse box was badly corroded. They cleaned and rewired the fuse box and replaced the battery and the Trooper has run fine ever since.
  • I just bought a 2002 Trooper with 95K miles on it. The TOD display is blinking all four wheels and the CHECK light below the display. I read a bunch of the posts here and figured it was the VSV like others have talked about. The Blue swich was broken so we replaced both of them. The problem is still the same.

the Auto switch does nothing. If you have the 4wd shifter in 4 wheel high truck drives fine. Can't get it to shift into 4 wheel low but if you put the shiter into Neutral (I assunme this is correct) the truck is literally in neutral no matter what gear the column shifter is set for. I am about to lose my mind with this thing... Can any one help me with this? Could it be the TOD ESM? The speed sensor I read about? Also the ABS light is lit, could that have any significance?
  • Hello,
    I have a 1999 Acura Trooper, I mean Isuzu SLX, no Acura SLX yeah that's it Acura Slx that I am have problems with the TOD/AWD system. The first thing is when it is in 2wd the rear wheels on the TOD display blink instead of being permanently lit all the time. then after driving for a few minutes the red check light starts flashing. When you hit the TOD button the auto light and the front wheels light up on the display and the check light goes off. Then the second thing is when you engage the AWD and drive for a few minutes you feel a clunk and the AWD dis-engages and the light on the front wheels of the display go out and the auto light starts flashing and the check light goes on. If you stop the car the AWD will engage again for a few minutes then you feel that clunk again and it dis-engages again. Does anyone know what is going on here and can help me with this problem. WInter is almost here and I basically have a 2WD car now.

Thanks,
    Bill
  • I have a 1999 Trooper with 180k miles and the front wheels will not engage when the 4WD button is pushed. The shifter seems to do it's job, but nothing will get the front wheels turning. I would love to think it's a vacuum hose, but I really don't know and am looking for hints.
  • isu2isu2 Posts: 8
    there was an article earlier about the small plastic gear on the front axle that engages the 4wd. apparently it gets all gummed up and needs cleaning.
    there was an internet article on how to remove and clean and reassemble.
  • Hello, I have a 2001 trooper and these same codes and am very curious if you have solved your problem. I am having trouble locating the connectors to do check flow 6. pin 15/b-67 to pin 3/h-49 based on the manual I have found.. what are the two harnesses directly connected to the TOD ECU? Any help is greatly appreciated!">
  • I am having the same issue with my 99 trooper. Same codes, 13,14, & 24. I tried clearing the codes, and they came right back. Were you able to solve this? Thanks!
  • anywayanyway Posts: 6
    Hi Christien yes I was able to fix the problem. We had to change the wire harnesses. They were caroded with power steering fluid that has started to melt away the wire over time. Mabey you should check your wire harness and see if they are ok because once I fixed those, there were no more blinking lights. And if that is the problem, I would not suggest finding them used, and they are very hard to find. I have a number to a dealer that sell them brand new Isuzu Auto Parts 888-509-8712. I wish you look and let me know if that was the problem. Because my car runs great now.
  • Boottmill, I have the same problem with my 2001 Trooper. I had Dionostic test done by the dealer for 190.00 (what a rip off) they said it was the speed sensor on the drive shaft next to the universial. There is a front and rear sensor. They want to replace the sensor for 600 dollars a sensor. How did you solve your problem?
  • I changed the wire harness and that was the problem. my dash was lighting up like a christmas tree and they found that my wire harnesses were melted by the coolant. Also if you have not done the transmission oil on the car it will jerk on take off. You have to change the whole kit which i recently had done because it would jerk when I stepped on the gas so I would have to take off slow in order not to jerk. But when I changed the kit that solved the problem. I changed most of my sensors and those were not the problem. So try those 2 solutions first and see if that works for you.
  • On my 98 Acura SLX, the 4WD High will engage at speeds under 35mph and work fine, but at speeds above that level, there is a loud, grinding sound and difficulty steering until the 4WD button is punched off, at which time it goes back to 2WD. This problem is the same whether engaging initially at a higher speed or engaging initially at a lower speed and then gradually increasing to a higher speed. Once above 35mph, the 4WD will not work, and the truck feels/sounds unsafe to drive (until the TOD is disengaged). Any ideas?

Thanks much.
  • Can i continue to drive with this light blinking and also how do i manually check for codes.i have to drive 1700 miles in april someone please help.thanks.
  • When i put it into the neurtruel position (4wd) the truck does the same do i have to drive it in one or the other high or low?just purchased and have no clue.Any feed back is appreciated.My red check light also keeps flashing while driving is it safe to keep driving?
  • I did virtually nothing, but jiggled about 5 wires and twisted 2 plugs to make sure they were tight in their recepticles. These were under the rider's side of the 1999 Trooper, toward the end of the tranny. One plug/socket was just hanging in the air. Then started the engine, and the check light went out, and has not blinked since.
  • my 99 trooper was doing the same thing today. it has the TOD as well and so i took it in and had a transmission kit done on it and it has seemed to do the trick. cost was $127.00 that was labor, tax, and parts.
  • I'm buying my first trooper. It's a '98 with tod. I'm used to driving jeeps and don't understand this

system. Went to test drive one today and the gauge cluster had all 4 wheels illuminated. What

does this mean. Also tried to shift from high to low and it felt like it was stuck.... Can someone

explain to me how this is supposed to work. I keep reading about a button but I didn't see one.

Also the ABS light was on and in searching thru forums it sounds like these things go hand in hand. Any help from an experienced trooper owner would be awesome or what warning signs I should look for before buying.

Thanks Mike
  • isu4wdisu4wd Posts: 1
    When attempting to engage automatic 4wd today in wet conditions, I felt the front wheels start to pull especially on the right. A short while ago after reviewing the owner's manual about 4wd, I took the vehicle out & again attempted to actuate auto 4wd. The green lights were flashing and the vehicle did not want to go in 4wd. I was involved in a minor front end collision a few month's back so, perhaps that might have something to do w/ it. The crux, is though, when it's not in 4wd, it drives good. Any suggestion's or thought's on what to do? Thanks
2»