Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Oil Consumption

2»

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    edited July 2011
    I know that Nissan would say consuming a quart every 2,000 miles would be within normal limits, but if that was happening on my Nissan minivan, my blood pressure would be "slightly elevated." :shades:

An analysis on my '99 Quest would be interesting (I'm at 158k miles), but it's running okay and isn't worth much anyway, so I have a hard time justifying the $25, when I can do an oil change for that and have $10 left over. I use SuperTech or whatever is on sale at NAPA and change at 7,500 mile intervals too. Don't tow. Never have to add oil between changes.

Got any blue smoke? How are the plugs? Do you have to pass emissions tests where you live? Thought about switching to a 10W-30 oil? Replaced the PCV valve lately?
  • I have a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder Automatic. Would lose about half a quart + between oil changes (3K) no smoke, no drips. Upon careful inspection saw that there was a lot of oil caked on right cv boot and the surrounding area. Turns out the oil cooler had a very slight leak from the o ring. Not enough to drip but it just kind slowly covered the surrounding areas. Found that it is a fairly common problem. The fix is pretty straightforward two o rings that can be replaced by removing the bolt that goes through the center 14mm I think. Kind of a pain to get it off then clean it up as space is a bit cramped. I just sprayed carb cleaner to clear the caked gunk off. Once disassembled did the same with all the internals that I could reach. Put in the new o rings and reassembled. Little less than an hour an a can of carb cleaner + a little. O rings were about 10 for both and I could only find from a dealer. No more oil seep. If that is your problem you will see caked up oil on and around cooler and cv. Good luck.
  • Nope, no smoke. No leaks. No power loss. Plugs are clean. For all intents and purposes it runs like a new car, except a rich exhaust smell when it's cold, and a bad temp sensor in the transmission causing it to take forever to lock the TC when it's cold. No codes, no emission problems. I had a CEL light once when a gasket between the filler tube and gas tank sprung a leak and allowed the vacuum to collapse (EVAP Leak CEL).

I really can't complain. It's been a fantastic car. I've put shocks/struts in it once, 3 or 4 sets of tires, and a complete brake system overhaul at 120K. Everything else by the book. In fact, it never even had to have an alignment until I had the suspension done at 130K.
2»