Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,779
    How do you know that 100% of owners have this problem? Answer: you don't. As for cellphone standards, they are not worth the paper they are printed on. It is a fly-by-night industry and the technology is unstable at best. Personally I would not be unhappy if laws were passed making all usage of the things illegal in cars, handsfree or not.

Finally, I am not responding to you. I don't even know who you are. I don't notice who writes what here, nor do I care. I am responding to a collection of posts about cellular technology that are impossible to skip given this format. I come here to read about cars, not cellphones. I feel sorry for you if your life is dependent upon a cellphone. That is about as far as any sentiment I have in this goes. Stop being so thin-skinned. Is that constructive enough for you?

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• djaadjaa Posts: 8
    Have had my LeCrosse for about a month now. Ever since the evening I drove it off the lot 1500 miles ago I have a vibration any where from 52-70ish MPH. Took back to dealership and complained. They roadforce balanced the tires and still have the same problem. The service manager stated there seems to be a problem but must be the nature of the car. (not for that kind of money!) He has a call into GM rep. and will get back with me, I hope.

Any other proud owners of the LeCrosse having this issue?!!!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,076
    edited October 2010
    What were the force readings on the road force balancing?
    Did they rematch any tires with the hubs?
    Did they move any wheels to different locations on the car, front or back?
    The Road Force balancers now can tell them which tires to put with which rims and where to locate them to get the best roundness under load for the 4 tires.

I would suggest they check the alignment and set it to the very optimum setting.

Does it have Michelin tires on it? That may be the company's next move by putting a set of prechecked Michelins on.
  • No vibration problems here. My 2010 CXS compares very favorably with my last car, a 2009 Mercedes Benz E350, when it comes to smooth ride and quiet cabin.
  • djaadjaa Posts: 8
    Yes to all questions. As far as the alignment , the car was delivered to me with a crooked steering wheel so they had to align it also. We (service manager and I) drove two other cars and they were worse than mine. Mine is somewhat better after the balance but still has very noticeable vibration. I am hoping others might have the same problem, report it to GM and the engineers will go to work and find a fix!
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    OK children or anyone else in this forum.
    Please take a look at added forums, as described by this forum, but BTW is not universal wording as to what it means across many if not all sites like this which mostly known as a forum.
    Forums have Rules. And let us act as gentlemen who wish to share knowlodge, not personalbe.
    The new forums are under Buick, 2010+ Buick Lacrosse. There is one titled "Rants & Raves" for those who want to get personal with their car. Praising or criticizing of your car might be appropriate here. The one place for our cars that anyone can talk it up.

Thanks all
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    GM will apply the I-4 where they can, but the 40+ upscale market is indifferent to the initial cost or the mileage, within reason, IMO. Your comment on Cadillac controlling their engines is right on. Ford & GM still sell over 40% trucks and truck like SUV's, with predictable mileage so the "average" is hinged on lots of little cars with 4's. I read the V-8's are declining and the big 4 cylinders e.g. Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, GM are the fastest growing powerplants in popular models. I don't see a 4 cylinder Yukon, Silverado Expedition or F-150- does anyone else?
    Longevity is an open item for the newer GM DI/DOHC engines. Nissan, Toyota and Honda seem to have the designs down cold, so hopefully the old reverse engineering paid off for GM and Ford. We have had many 3.8L GM V-6's and other than the intake/plenum issues they were great designs, again IMO soo...
    Check the final drive ratio on the I-4 equipped Lacrosse - 3.23 vs 2.77 on most V-6.
    The Ecotec I-4 gets rave reviews and no past issues with oil coolers, intake gaskets or sealing problems that we have read about. Good engine designers in most GM cars with certain exceptions. The variable intake on the 3.0/3.6L was specifically aimed at the plastic plenum design sitting on an aluminum intake sitting on an iron engine in the "old days". Talk about mixed expansion coefficients!
    Insurance rates on new Lacrosse is stellar- with O/S safety ratings all around.
    Great car so far with all the high points, hopefully durability will be the standard for the new GM designs.
    This car has some good points but has shortcomings as well if it is a Luxury car.
    I'm working on a list of issues. Many have been mentioned by others besides me. When I finish it, I'll post it in the Rants and Raves.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    edited October 2010
    Personally-directed posts are prohibited. Those who choose to make them risk their own posting privileges. Enough said - this discussion is about the LaCrosse, not about what one thinks of other members.

PS - e_net_rider - Sorry, that discussion doesn't really work for us. I have been around long enough that I know where they lead. This is a perfectly good discussion in which to talk about things you like or dislike.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kjs8kjs8 Posts: 53
    I read on the forum that the 2011 LaCrosse will load ones cell call list into the car's memory for callup on the Nav when making outgoing calls. Can this software upgrade be loaded into the 2010 models at the GM dealers service facility? This is how it was to work as part of the bluetooth features on the 2010 originally.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    Since we're getting quite a few questions and comments about this specific feature, I've created a LaCrosse Bluetooth discussion, and will ask that future conversation and questions about that feature be posted there - thanks!!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,183
    The recommended octane gas for the CXS with the 3.6L engine is 91 octane. So far I have been using the mid grade 89. However, yesterday I shopped around for the 91 but could only find 93 octane gas, which I bought.

My question: are there any harmful effects to using 93 versus 91 octane? And how much a difference is 89 from 91 and will that invalidate the warranty?

-
  • wolfman14wolfman14 Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    If I park my 2010 Buick Lacrosse on a slight incline I start the car and proceed to put the shift in reverse to back up. But it is not so easy with this new Buick. I need to keep my foot on the brake while stepping on the gas pedal to back up safely so I will not roll forward into whatever is in front of my car at the time. I was told by the dealer this is normal. That is ridiculous. This is definitely a safety problem. It also rolls back while I am stopped and proceed to drive forward. The dealer said it was normal. I thought this was an automatic transmission. It acts like a manual transmission with a clutch. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • kjs8kjs8 Posts: 53
    edited October 2010
    When you back up in mine you have to push on the gas relatively hard to get it to move. Then when you shift into drive to proceed forward the car lurches forward because you think you have to push on the petal the same as going in reverse. Dealer said that the forward and reverse petal response is not linear and reverse requires more pressure than in drive for the same acceleration. It just always catches me and the car leaps forward after selecting drive and accelerating. Sounds like a strange design.
  • cooleyddcooleydd Posts: 105
    Agreed mine does the same thing and it does always surprise me. Can't seem to adjust my thinking to the process.

Have not tried to back up on a hill but could understand how it would happen. Now warned!!!
  • Theere is never a chance of harm with a higher than recommended octane rating. At worst, it's a waste of money at the pump.

Too low a rating and its possible the engine could suffer from premature ignition aka knock or ping. A severe case can lead to engine damage and a void warranty. Modern engines will sense knock and retard the timing to elinminate knock. Mileage suffers some but it saves the engine.

I run regular IN MY 2010 cxs 3.6l.On ocassion I will full with mid grade. No perceptable differences.
    I have noticed that in my part of the country and south, that 91 had been the premium for many years. And when I got to the north it was usually 93 with an infrequent 92. Sometime during the last year 93 became the premium around here. So, to me the 91 requirement seems outdated since it is no longer available.
    Also I use gas from the GM list of tier 1 vendors, but I have not yet seen the tier 1 stickers on any pumps.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,076
    >On ocassion I will full with mid grade. No perceptable differences.

If you have a tank filled with 87 octane regular and you use it down to a quarter or third, and then refill with 89 midgrade, you essentially end up with an 88 octane mix. IF the car is optimized for 91 octane, you aren't going to notice any difference.

If you use the tank lower, which I don't like to do, you end up with a purer mix. But ideally try filling with 93 after getting down to a quarter. That would mix 1/4 87 with 3/4 93 and give a mix that is about 91 octane. That would be a better test.

Or just alternate between 89 and 93 for your refills.

It's my anecdotal finding that a higher octane of 89 rather than 87 for my 87-rated engine delivers slightly better fuel mileage. It's noticed on longer drives using the car's computer readout for average fuel economy for that trip. The 1 or 2 mpg better mileage might be a 6 percent increase balanced against a 4% increase in cost for midgrade.
    I'm not sure that mixing that way would be truly beneficial for MPG. It used to take some time for the fuel trim to adjust to driving conditions and habits and fuel. They may have overcome that method of calculating for the engine.
    I hope the mileage improves. As of now, with premium, it appears the only way I'll see 27 MPG for highway is I hold a steady 60 to 65 MPH.
  • bobinorbobinor Posts: 63
    I think the follow-up question is whether the car computer can track what grade of gasoline has been put into the tank and for how long. What evidence would invalidate the warranty? The owner manual tells about the effects from using the various grades of gas. My problem is that the salesman told me "regular" gas was all that was required for my CXS. The sticker has no indication of octane requirement. Didn't they used to? Who pores over the owner manual before they buy a car?
    If the fuel you are using causes the knock sensor to activate retarding of ignition, that data would likely be recorded in computer. How long a data stream is recorded I don't know.
    The bigger issue seems to be whether you use tier 1 or tier 2 gasoline. Tier 2 can cause damage that won't be covered, such as sticking valves.
    edited October 2010
    For information on "Top Tier" gasoline see http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html . This website gives a list of companies that have Top Tier. For additional information see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Tier_Detergent_Gasoline

Google "Top Tier Gas" for more information.

In our area we have only two plants that provide gas for all of the stations in the San Francisco Bay area stations. How would one know if the gas from these plants have the necessary additives to qualify. Would one assume that additives are added in the respective delivery trucks?

Would the Chevron additive "Techtron" qualify the gasoline when it is added to the gasoline.

Since "Top Tier" gas is not universally available across the US and there is no way of knowing which gas meets the standards I would think GM and others would have a tought time not honoring the warranty.
    That is much the same here. Although a port, most local fuel comes from one refinery and each is mixed according to their standards I've been told. I can't verify. Also, those who are top tier don't have the stickers on pumps to indicate that. I have yet to see that sticker anywhere, even if they are on the list.
    Also the new legislation that allows up to 15% alcohol would not meet the requirement of 10% maximum.
    It would seem difficult for GM to deny warranty and truly wonder why they did not make this vehicle E85 capable.
    All Chevron gasoline contains some Techron and they are listed as top tier. It might help in other brands not meeting specification but because of the other top tier requirements it might not qualify as meeting them.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    I dunno what's wrong, but my father took his CXL w/ the 3 liter from RI to Atlantic City and back with 4 people and luggage and got 30.6 mpg going 65-70.
  • GM Dealer says nothings wrong!
    The other thing involved at least in California is that we have our own requirements that may make it impossible to qualify for the "Top Tier". I have never seen it or even seen it advertised here.
    I have a CXS that is now 6 months old (3.6) and 8000 miles. I have noticed that the tire pressure on all four tires (19") goes down 3 or 4 lbs about every 2 or 3 months. I get notified by OnStar that they are low. They all go down at the same rate.

I assume this is because of the 19" wheels which would have less air (but same pressure) as the smaller wheels. The smaller wheels with wide side walls may absorb more bumps. With the 19" you hit a bump and the air is forced out some place. Does this make sense to others. Does anyone else have this same experience. Never had this problem in the smaller wheels on other cars.
  • Some have blamed the tires as more porous, especially the GoodYears. I don't wait for Onstar but use the built in system to check.
  • tom2246tom2246 Posts: 29
    I had Goodyears on my C5 that did the same thing as described, loosing air pressure without a change in temperature. I have the Goodyears on 19" wheels that mimic the C5. My take is that to achieve the grip the GY are more porous. I changed to a harder tire, less grip, and the noise went down and no more pressure issues. If I keep the Buick I will be switching soon.