Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• ar15ar15 Posts: 58
    Yes, I have the 4 cyl model. It's a fleet vehicle provided my company, so I didn't have a choice. However, I am VERY pleased with it. The performance is more than adequate, thanks to the 6 speed auto. It could use some more oomph for passing, but get and and go is good for all other driving. The 4 cyl's biggest downfall is that it is louder than the 6.

I have exceeded 30mpg on an all highway trip driving about 72mph. I'm averaging a little over 26mpg.
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    We also have had GM for years and some problems with all the moving parts. One cadillac had a broken rocker arm that was properly R&R with no other failures up to 103,000 miles. Earlier engine failure is rare but if it your car it was 100% to you. Wonder if the ole timing chain failure pointed out by Rider on this board was the cause. For long term durability, I would like to know what the cause was for a rod failure if I owned the car.
    75MPH would not drive high RPM's so if oil level was OK and the intake did not fail and let coolant into oil it must have been mechanical per my prior comment. GM will definately tear it down enough to determine cause of failure if the dealer will keep you updated. Makes you sick with new car.
    Good luck.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    Yes to the Caddy posting. I forgot.
    I see you are aware of our surroundings as well. ;)
    Wow, really sad that such major work needs doing on low mileage vehicle.
    And then new engine is questionable?
    What sounds is the new one making?
    You are remembering that break-in applies again.
    Supposedly timing chain issues should not be problem with 2010 and up models. Do you have a very early 2010 production?
    It seems that GM is aware of some issue with these engines or they would not have reduced oil change interval and reprogrammed OLM.
    Here's hoping the installer just left something laying on the engine, not internal.
    A couple of years after the year they built no Corvettes, I toured the assembly plant. They rolled one off the line that had knocking rod sound and into a pit area. The good ones, maybe, went out the door. That pit was full of cars. The mechanic that got that one doodled, wasting as much time as he could, looking frequently at his watch. It was about 45 minutes till quitting time. Out of curiosity I asked if they'd put a new engine in. No, they'd fix it. I'm pretty sure I'd not want that car.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,100
    pasm,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your new vehicle. Glad to hear you are in contact with GM Customer Assistance. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • pasmpasm Posts: 6
    Yes, my Buick was an early 2010 model. I saw a picture in a magazine and finally replaced our old '97 Riviera, which is still on the road, btw, being driven by our gardner's mom. I read that GM halted production on the new Lacrosses for quality purposes. I didn't read why. The noise on start-up with the new engine is a 30/40 second series of vibration sounds at different tones. My local dealer will look at it next week. Maybe something simple, though nothing about this disappointing turn events has been simple.
    Caron,

My last conversation with GM Customer Assistance did not end well and they did not address my questions or concerns. I probably won't be speaking to GM Customer Assistance again. They had no answers for what to do with my bad Buick other than to become a regular at the local service department. Forgive me if I'm being pessimistic but I no longer trust that car. After the engine blew up on a busy freeway, I can't help but ask myself what's next?
    Although you may not know, did the 97 Riviera ride and handle as nice as the Aurora? How would you compare to Lacrosse?
    I had 96 Aurora and find that everything else disappoints in the ride and handling catagories. I have to attribute it to the very different design of suspension components. I have often heard the Riviera of that time was the same in 2 door version but with different powertrain.
    One unique thing was the power steering rack with tie rods. It was one solid cast steel rod so any movement from center would actually gently tug the lower end of each front strut off center. Very unique.
    Do you feel the vibrations or just hear them? Are they high pitched or low? Make sure you note as much as possible and point out to service so they don't miss anything. Mis-diagnosis could result in many trips.
    Wow, I'm no expert like you. I just know we loved that Riviera. Had some problems with the transmission, which had to be replaced, but all in all, a joy to drive and ride in. Plus, it was really beautiful. I have to say I would choose the Riv over the Lacrosse, but the CXS we bought is mighty close. And it runs on regular, which my supercharged Riv did not.

I recorded the vibration noise this morning. I'm calling it a vibration noise because it sounds a little like my Samsung washer, but also a buzz saw. I figure something isn't getting oil pumped up to it for a minute or so. Maybe the recording will help the service people, though they shouldn't have a problem hearing it. Just noise so far. Maybe something needs to be tightened.
  • rainman5542rainman5542 Posts: 114
    Dealer ordered ONE new sensor, the other side is apparently OK. I need to go back for a repair in a few days once the part arrives.

The system started to work all by itself yesterday.

Electronics are NOT the dealer's strong suit.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,974
    I think with the sudden increase in the number and type of electronic/computer geegaws in most of todays cars, all dealers of all makes are going to be severely challenged in diagnosing and fixing problems. It's like dealing with a corporate IT department when things go wrong with your office computer. Not good.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,234
    edited June 2011
    No surprise, Lacrosse sales down by 12% in May -- but why?

Buick was the strongest of the GM brands, posting a 24% improvement over May 2011 as the “affordable luxury brand” moved 15,579 cars and SUVs.

The three models that returned from last year (Enclave, LaCrosse, Lucerne) all posted negative growth in May but the sporty new Buick Regal helped the brand show the big growth numbers with 4,247 sedans sold.

The LaCrosse was the top seller with 4,774 units sold (although it was a decline in growth of 12%) followed by the Enclave with 4,323 SUVs sold

General Motors Fairfax Assembly Plant
    Fairfax Produced Sales for May 2011
    LaCrosse
    May 2011= 4,744 // May 2010=5,452
    % Change=Down -12.4% (May 2011 vs. May 2010)
    Jan-May-2011=23,362 vs. Jan-May 2010=25,033
    ...% Change Jan-May 2011 vs 2010= Down -6.7%

http://www.torquenews.com/106/gm-struggles-may-2011-still-leads-industry-sales
    I hope it is something simple and not detrimental.
    I would sample oil and make sure you did not get a bad filter like I did.
    There are a lot of recommendations for Blackstone Labratories.
    Just guesses.
    Perhaps it is marketing strategy.
    High gas prices and high unemployment certainly effect buying choices.
    I suspect many might find the I4 not quite enough for this vehicle, and the upcharge for the 3.6L might be a turnoff.
    If prospects are learning that premium is recommended for 3.6L, that could certainly hurt since most will avoid the additional 30+ cents per gallon.
    I had an I4 in Malibu and it was peppy enough in it. I did try premium a few times but it did not give the boost I see in 3.6L.
    Also, what is on lots? What I've seen is that most that have just a few options always add a pricey sunroof.
    And incentives may be poor at this time.
    Just guesses.
  • bobbob2bobbob2 Posts: 28
    Thx rainman5542 for info. I'm taking mine in tomorrow.

Was your trouble easily located thru electronic diagnosis?

Are the sensors under the the rear side panels? And the electronics accessed thru trunk or are they under front hood squeezed in with other stuff?

I wonder how prevalent this problem is. Beings it's a SAFETY item I'm surprised there's not more notoriety.
    pasm,

Could you please email me your case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    bobbob2,

Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    Wouldn t you know it my SBZAs were working perfectly as I drove in to dealer today for repair. They'd been on fritz over all last week too. It's like the toothache that goes away while you drive to dentist.
    Hope their technicians can diagnois the trouble even so. I wonder if there's a Tech Bulletin out on this?
    Caron, GM Customer Service,

Dealership took my CXS out for test drive and fortunately SBZA flunked. Remember it worked fine driving to dealer. So I may not be crazy[yet].

They had to order up a 'module' which was listed on invoice as a 'sensor.' Either way I have no idea exactly what it is but probably a circuit board?

When queried, asst serv mgr said he thot the center consol had to be removed to get at the part.

Expectation is that replacement part arrives in several days when I will need to make a second visit to dealer to install. I am hopeful new module is an improvement over old so I don t have to keep trekking back to dealer. My fingers are crossed.
    bobbob2,

Thank you for the update! Sounds like things are going in the right direction. Please keep me updated when you make the trip to dealership to have the new module installed. I will also keep my fingers crossed!

Thank you and have a great day!
    Wondering how you are making out. Hoping it was something simple like bearing in alternator,etc.
    Mine is in right now and been there for a few days. So I'm in a new Regal. Certainly not near my Lacrosse. Someone posted that Malibu would be getting Lacrosse body, but I suspect they meant Regal.
    Anyone looking at Malibu, I'd suggest comparing to Regal. Pluses and minuses have shown themselves quickly in the few days I've had it.
    Note that the Malibu I had was dangerous for handling reasons and something in electric power steering, which they could not fix. Regal has hydraulic power steering and handles totally different. I'm sure the 17" Firestones, Malibu, compared to 18" Michelins, Regal, have something to do with that. But I don't see the quiet and somewhat cushy ride they give on Lacrosse. I may be wrong but suspect that the weight rating of 97V on Regal is a bit high and may make the tire a bit stiff. And it would seem that Buick would have a different suspension than Chevrolet even if only strut changes. But the Regal seems to be noisier all around than Malibu. I sometimes turned the key a second time because the I-4 was so quiet. Not so with Regal. It is as if they tuned it so you would hear it to give the sound of power. But that is not all you hear. It seems like the back half of car is lacking sound deadening. It might be the thinner feeling carpet and lack of it in trunk. On the positive side, the armrest on the door is actually useful, not hard like a rock, and the center one shows some thought, but still a little hard.
    I like that when you pull up MPG screen it gives both instantaneous and average simultaneously.
    The seats are hard to compare. Malibu were suede, very firm, and mechanical lumbar. Quite comfortable on long rides and you did not have to readjust for an hour as your body settled in. All three failed miserably on headrest issues.
    Anyone shopping? I can give a lot more detail.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,234
    edited June 2011
    I am wrestling with a decision I have to make next month when my complimentary one year of OnStar expires. Here is my dilemma. My CSX is equipped with Bluetooth and navigation and I also have AAA for emergency breakdowns--so why do I need OnStar at $299 per year? Don’t get me wrong, I really like OnStar, but the renewal fee plus the additional cost for hands-free minutes seem pricey for the purported benefits. By the way, is the $299 a fixed price or can you haggle with the Customer Loyalty Department for a price break especially if you have OnStar on another GM product? Bloggers, please help me decide.

On a related note, yesterday a severe weather warning alert came on my Nav screen. Was that an OnStar alert or was that from Sirius/XM? The reason I ask this question is because I was not under navigation and this alert is different from the one that appears in the DIC.
    I picked up my car two days ago. My local dealer made some adjustments on the new engine installation and now it drives and sounds like it always did. Fingers crossed! Both GM dealers have been very helpful and tried hard to make this difficult situation better. I'm feeling a bit more confident now that the car appears to be fixed.
    pasm,
    Good to hear things are going well for you. If you need anything feel free to email me. Have a great weekend!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    pasm: I have been following also to see if your engine repair was to your satisfaction. With the new 3.0L/3.6L engine family being fairly new you must have gotten a "long block" from GM with all the major parts attached to install and hook up to some of your parts. If it works well it means your dealers techs know what they are doing. Seems like a given but this depends on the dealer IMO - you have good one as I do.
    Good luck and good news. Enjoy the car.
    Crankee
    Rider: I believe I read in Motor Trend or Automobile Magazine that the 2012 Malibu would be built on the Epsilon II "platform" that the Lacrosse is on and that would result in a larger vehicle. I would think the "body" or sheetmetal would be somewhat different. From a manufacturing / economies of scale standpoint it makes sense with the e.assist I-4 in both cars. Chevy vs. Buick vs. Cadillac will show different skins regardless of the platform they are built on. Still can not believe the Lacrosse is 10% heavier, wider track and higher than our old Bonneville. Beautiful body lines and glass area from a designer standpoint. As I stated before -
    THANK YOU BOB LUTZ and Semper Fi.
    Crankee
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,974
    Had a 2011 Malibu for a rental this week and have driven the Regal earlier. I really like the styling of the Regal much more than the Malibu and of course it is much more exclusive. Also like the Regal wheels much more. Expect the Regal would handle better but didn't put that to the test; both seemed fine that way to me.

However I too find the Malibu more appealing in other ways. Car felt zippier than the Regal despite identical engine/transmission. Seemed quieter too, as you noted. Liked the leather Regal seats better than the suede in the Malibu and it also had more gizmos, but I liked the room in the 'Bu. Also didn't care for the all-black interior in the Regal.

Will be interesting to see if GM addresses the sound deadening issue when production moves to Oshawa. But if I am paying with my own $$$, it is hard to justify the extra $ for the Regal despite the nice styling. If the redesigned 2013 Malibu keeps anything close to the current price gap between the two models it will not be a hard choice as the new car is very nice.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

bwia,

I'm at same decision point and can t convince myself the OnStar is worth the cost. i think I used it only 1-2 times since MArch.
    One advantage may be that if you are in an accident OnStar can send help. I think air bags have to be deployed and you fail to answer their inquiry on status.
    Another item is map downloading from Goggle. Twice I used my office computer to create a route and then had it sent to my 2011 LaX CXS. However, I did not find it waiting conveniently for me. I recall the first time I called OnStar and they downloaded to car. The second try I didn t bother. Now I admit this may be pilot error on my part becuz I am still not up to snuff using both the Nav and OnStar.
    I too am confused by Traffic Alerts. I don t know if Nav, OnStar & Sirius work together or separate to produce the same result or are independent. I ran into an ugly traffic snarl on US 1 Interstate and wud have loved help and info. None came unsolicitied. Maybe I don t know how to ask??
    Here's a sales tip Buick may not have thot of.

I was riding merrily along with my A/C on and windows closed when all of a sudden the back window powered down. I thot oh brother wot's going wrong now. I raised window from my door only to have the incident occur a second time. Now I am really getting worried if I am controlling car or vice versa.

Then it hit me. My yellow lab in back seat who loves to hang her head out had figured out how to lower the window. I activated Lock Out. Problem solved.
  • dslongdslong Posts: 10
    My OnStar has not been renewed and I still get traffic as well as weather alerts, it has to be the radio subscription. $299 a year is just to much.