Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,005
    gfieldlacrosse,
    Will you please e-mail me with your complete contact information (including a telephone number to reach you), your user name, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? Please include a run down of your situation. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    Another reason for the INST MPG, you can find that sweet spot a whole lot easier.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,062
    edited November 2010
    My 2011 CXS has crossed the 3,000 threshold and she is purring like a kitten. So far I have no reportable conditions (except for Homelink that I can’t get to work) and the car is driving even more smoothly than I expected. Not sure if it is the change to 93 octane or because the car is now fully broken in.

After four months of driving I have learned to use most of the tech features and in particular I like the GPS, sound system and HID for night driving. I am not a fan of the heads-up display so I rarely use it. A couple months ago I got into the habit of driving in the sports mode but I’ve gone back to driving in the normal touring mode. Nonetheless, the transmission shifts are smooth and imperceptible behaving as though the car has learned my driving style.

For the first time my wife has driven my CXS and she says her 2008 Malibu is more quiet and comfortable than the Lacrosse. I have to agree with that assessment as I have a strong affinity for the Malibu which has great seats and is extremely quiet on the open road.

So far I have no maintenance costs. Since I started using 93 octane Shell fuel I have seen a 2 mpg improvement from 16 to 18 mpg city driving. As we all know gas prices have gone up but I am getting a $0.60 discount on my Stop & Shop card. A very significant savings, I would say, of $9.63 on my last tank of gas, so I have not yet felt the full impact of higher fuel prices.

I like to change my oil every three months not because the needs it but because I do mostly city driving which is hard on any engine. And at the 3-month mark I had 2,500 miles on the odometer. At this pace I probably will exceed my normal 7,500 annual miles since I enjoy driving my CXS so much.

In summary, the CXS exceeds all of my expectations and I am waiting with baited breath to see how it performs in the snow. The GY 19" tires are very good in the rain and I have grown accustomed to the slightly elevated road noise emanating from these tires.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,732
    > like to change my oil every three months not because the needs it but because I do mostly city driving which is hard on any engine. And at the 3-month mark I had 2,500 miles on the odometer.

What percent of oil life does your DIC say has been used? If it's not up to 50% I wouldn't change the oil for spring, summer, and fall. In winter with cold sump, long warmups you might find the DIC says oil life is used up quicker and a change at 2500-3000 is justified.

This message has been approved.

• I'm at 3100 miles and it is 68% per the computer. I will change at 5,000 regardless and rotate my tires. When I did more highway miles, my MB E350 went 11,000 miles on Mobil One. I believe the CXS uses standard oil.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,732
    >5000 and rotate tires

I can understand that and especially the "rotate tires." My concern about the lower profile tires is the life and how well they remain round.

This message has been approved.

• crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    bwia: Too bad about the Homelink. My prior post with the "learn" button on the opener worked (finally) for us after many tries. Handy and it needs no batteries, so worth another try with the engineer kid in the car and you on the ladder. My wife desires everything to work perfectly soooooo...
    Good news on your pleasant ride. Our 2010 CXL is pretty much the same. GREAT mileage even at 80 and sits down well on the road with the ESC and the H-arm in the rear. 18" tires rumble just right for feedback from the road surface and the dual exhaust has just the right resonance for us. The interior at night is outstanding and the readings are all big enough to read w/o bifocals(HA!).
    Buick announced the hybrid(e.assist) for 2012 so that should help keep Lacrosse model around if gas spikes. Enjoy the car and the positive attitude.
    edited November 2010
    Do you live where it is likely they have changed to winter fuel?

In the past it was adding more propane to the mix because it vaporizes better. Not sure what is needed with more modern fuels, but propane has less power if you were running straight propane. It burns very clean and I'm not sure how it would effect MPG, but thinking it would lower it. Likely it is not just cold weather hurting mileage but the fuel as well. So likely better mileage in summer for sure.

Now imagine that, a Malibu quieter than Lacrosse. I certainly wonder why. Is it less sound deadening material? The carpet in Malibu and trunk is thicker. I also question the sound deadening in the doors. Not that I know it is weak, but it seems that much of the door panel is used as a box for the speaker and thus wonder about construction. Crank up the bass and feel the panel, the lower portion anyway. If there is anything loose in that area it will likely add to distortion or generate sounds.
    How do you get one of those cards?
  • "bwia: Too bad about the Homelink. My prior post with the "learn" button on the opener worked (finally) for us after many tries. Handy and it needs no batteries, so worth another try with the engineer kid in the car and you on the ladder."

Funny. Not a comment about the LaCrosse but after I finally succeeded in getting the Homelink to operate my Genie door, I pried the battery out of the Genie remote since the foam battery cushioning had melted that 9-volt to the remote. It was only working perfectly for 14 years. It was just an old Eveready Classic - what performance!
    Crankee,
    It sounds like you have the setup I was about to pull trigger on when the build it site indicated H-arm was no longer available, to be brought back later as option on CXS.
    Your combination is quite a bit different than how it came back. The later has 19" wheels and the full time suspension monitoring. You also might not have hyperstrut on front. Have you had the opportunity to compare yours against the ride of the later?
    I'm guessing that yours also came with Michelin tires. What is the recommended cold inflation for your tires?
    I have noted a couple of improvements with miles. This is the first I knew tires had a breakin period. The GY got a little quieter about that point. Also when cooler weather set in I noticed cold inflation had dropped 2# and ride is better at that point. I'm guessing that it allows more sidewall flex, especially laterally. But of course concerns of low pressure start to arise.
  • gberpagberpa Posts: 44
    edited November 2010
    Are they really using propane now? When I worked for an oil company, they used butanes for vapor pressure (read: ignitabilty) control in winter.

On first driving, I thought the car was very quiet. Upon increasing speed as breakin is approaching end, it seems less so. However, I did have a minor front door issue (stuck out slightly), so there was an adjustment on the "striker plate"...wondering if this affected sound seal?!

I do note how thin the carpets are compared to my prior Hyundai and also how thin and "cardboard" like feel the drive tunnel seems in the front passenger/drive.
    We chose the CXL with the then available 3.0L to avoid the I-4 option due to power concerns and also the higher cost 3.6L that required premium fuel along the lines of most rice burners. The H-arm was a bonus, not a plan, since we required Michelin tires on all of our cars and the 18" option on the CXL fit the bill - not the 19" GY setup with higher cost active suspension. Ours has normal GM rack & pinion setup- not hyper strut that came later. We have tires at 32# and they rise to 35# when hot. Usually run Michelin X,MXM4, Pilots at 36#, but low profile tires (1X on 18" not 2X as on 19") don't have sidewall "cushion" so 32# seems to ride better.
    The recently announced E.assist "standard" equipment for 2012 explains the move to I-4 setup, so we are pleased with the 3.0L V-6 choice. I-4 hybrid or 3.6L with premium seems to be the marketing plan down the road for Buick Lacrosse. The 3.0L is in the Cadillac SRX and some CTS models so service not an issue to us.
    Small Buick for mileage market, Turbo Regal for performance, Lacrosse for mid market and Super, Park Avenue or LeSabre for higher price point luxo buyers in coming years will round out the Buick stable in the new GM.
    How do you get one of those cards?

Simply fill out a short form (name, address, phone number, and email) at any Stop & Shop Supermarket and you are given a card on the spot. The card allows you to get discounts off groceries as well as discounts on gas. One catch, the gas must be purchased at designated Stop & Shop or Shell stations.

Generally, the discounts are five cents off each gallon but if you buy $50 or more of groceries the discount can be high as $0.60 off per gallon. I look at it as a win - win situation. You have to buy groceries anyway. So why not buy it at Stop & Shop at a discount and at the same time get a further discount on gas prices.

Obviously, that is Stop & Shop's way of competing with Wal-Mart but it won't be long before Wal-Mart launches a competing program of its own.
    GM went public again today and this IPO is hot. The opening price was $33 and in the first 15 minutes 100 million shares were traded and the price had increased to $35 or by 6.33%.

We all who took a chance on GM should be rewarded with the option to buy at least a 100 shares before the hugh institutional buyers.
  • wow. insightful comment on moving the buttons. Guess that's why GM didn't seek you out as a design engineer. In the design, it would have been very easy to install a lock-from-inside-the-trunk latch on the seat access panels. Nothing new with that approach. Second, yes, they should put a valet pass code in the software. something would be better than nothing, even if they don't have a lockout on the seat panels. As for the coin holder, plenty of room in that "ingenious" double cup holder. Don't get me wrong - I love my LaCrosse. But i agree it's probably a case of "nah, we don't need that" design.
  • I probably won't be as complete as bwia but here's my attempt to gauge the gas mileage of my 2011 LaCrosse CXS on a 1600 mile road trip this past week.

My trip was from just south of Portland, OR to San Jose, CA returning to Portland from the Cailf. gold country in the Sierra foothills at Angels Camp. (2 days of great golf in shorts at Greenhorn Creek GC) Starting mileage on car was 624 so I was trying to be careful to not exceed the 68 mph break-in guideline. Typically, I set the cruise control to 67 mph on all freeway stretches. Yeah, it did go over for bursts.

Total miles: 1586 with average gas consumption of 27.177 mpg

I used mid-grade tier one exclusively: Shell, Chevron and 76. I checked and filled my 19" tires to 35# before leaving home. There was very little wind on any of the legs of the trip. Anyone who knows the route on I-5 between OR and CA knows the grades and dips you encounter. Siskiyou summit is ~4500 ft. Then there's Stagecoach Pass, Sexton Pass, Mt. Shasta, the Sunol Grade (2X), etc., etc. Just to give you all a sense of the elevation change challenges in such a trip that defeats great gas mileage that you might get in say, the mid-West.

Speaking of mid-grade gas, the octane for such in Calif. is 89. In OR it is 91. Huh!

The car was stuffed stem to stern. I thought I'd have a challenge getting as much as I wanted into the trunk. But that got filled to the brim and the rear seats were loaded, too. So I was able to take my wife in the passenger seat (creative packing = good move!).

Best leg: Red Bluff, CA to Sunnyvale,CA 222 miles on 7.396 gals. = 30.016 mpg

2nd best leg: Farmington, CA (near Stockton) to Rogue River, OR 386 miles on 13.048 gals. = 29.583 mpg

Worst leg: driving within Silicon Valley,CA 4 days and then to Angels Camp with sightseeing, 288 miles on 12.896 gals. = 22.333 mpg

Overall impression: I'm thrilled! These results far exceed my expectations for highway driving. I received numerous compliments along the way about the styling of the car which went a long way towards helping me see my way to the next car payment. The car is as much a cruiser as any other on the highway - a dream to drive! It handles nimbly (can I say that?) on mountain roads with sharp twists and turns. I love it!

I'm sure I've left out some pertinent details I intended to convey but wanted to post this on the day we returned. If I think of those, I will post them later.
    Bob; Good report. We have note with 2010 CXL 3.0L that speed is biggest factor in MPG. Below 65 is the best but overall driveabilty is better at 75+ due to less shifting or searching for the right gear. bigger 3.6L may be better at that. 27.5-29 at 70-75 is normal for us but at 60-70 it improves to 30+ on regular. Best is at 55 - ~32 MPG but who can drive like that in America?
    Improves slightly with midgrade but wife feels it runs beter soooo..... we use midgrade with her aboard! Tremendous road car IMO. 16-18 in city driving (4300# car!) but it is really setup for highway cruising and mileage. Great choice- ENJOY.
    Bobinor,

Props for such a nice report! You are such a good writer by the ease with which you turn a phrase I would guess you might be an auto scribe. (sic). Moreover, in the short time you've joined this blog I have been drawn to your writing and I always look forward to reading your postings.

Feed the forum!
    Phil