Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    FYI, yes and yes. GM bought back both a 09 Malibu LT2 and the 11 Lacrosse CXS.
    Both were nightmares with the number of problems. Both also had serious safety issues.
    For example, the Malibu was very unstable on the road, like some others experienced. It also had a flaw in the electric power steering with which it would about every thousand miles try to drive you off the road to the right. The power steering would apply maximum force to the right felt at the wheel, something I could barely contain with both hands on the wheel. Another issue which occurred three times was with the braking system. It felt like a sticking caliper, but could very easily have had something in the tied systems. I.E. the anti-lock brake module which accepts inputs from ABS, ESC, & TC. Sadly, GM has a history of problems in that area and depending upon your VIN, you may or may not have gotten the fix. That is, the Malibu I had was missing the parts that the recall added, yet not in the applicable VIN numbers. So if the function of those systems is included, then I had at least four failures.
    The BUICK, well it also had what seemed to be a sticking caliper three times. Fortunately all the times with it allowed a long roll out, unlike the Malibu where I ended up in the intersection before I could get it stopped. Also the tires that came on the Buick should never be used as they were disgracefully bad at handling any snow. And play was introduced to the steering when the dealer replaced the column for a different issue. Play that could shoot across the line before you could correct. Besides the myriad of other issues, the final straw was when the GM rep said he did not see anything wrong with the SBZA when it would not detect a vehicle unless it was plus or minus 3 feet of your rear bumper and other other dead spots.
    Safety issues are king to me. FYI, I have not yet bought a replacement vehicle. I have been rattled to the core with those experiences and obviously the chance of it happening again have been greatly amplified. That is, can any of you say similar problems happened with two purchases in a row? I sure as hell don't want number three.
    I have considered an older vehicle hoping all the problems don't exist, but if safety is an issue, then you have to go with newer. I have been considering looking at foreign names now.
    I still wish you all the best experience. As usual, I will hang around groups just to give input when necessary.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,227
    GM bought back both a 09 Malibu LT2 and the 11 Lacrosse CXS.
    Both were nightmares with the number of problems. Both also had serious safety issues.

Seems like there is much more to these stories. If both cars in your scenarios were defective as claimed, then why didn’t you accept a replacement? To the casual observer it would appear that you are an impossible person to please and nothing that GM did would suffice. I have both a Malibu and a CXS and I have not come close to experiencing the problems you enumerated in your many posts. If you are still in the market for a dependable sedan let me recommend the Toyota Avalon Limited.

Bon Chance
  • crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    edited January 2012
    BWIA: The complaints went on forever and really covered the waterfront. My take was that rider is a retired GM engineer/ employee with an ax to grind - which I fully identify with in the current world of Corporate Exec. Greed that frequently resulted in shutdowns for tax purposes, layoffs for execs bonuses, pension plan raiding schemes and other employee morale busting practices.
    I also feel GM and other car makers are making a real effort to make better cars and they are truly safer, less error prone in design and much easier to maintain. The problems pointed out in certain posts FAR EXCEEDED anything in the realm of real problems in one person's opinion only.
  • Has anyone seen or heard an actual date for when Intellilink will be available in the 2012 LaCrosse? It is now early 2012 my local dealers don't have any dates or time frame to give customers. Help I need to make a purchase.
    Well, I drove a couple of used Lincoln MKS yesterday. Its ride is much like the big Town Car, maybe a bit mushier in an attempt to reproduce that ride in a smaller and lighter vehicle. The first one had the same tires as the Touring package. They seemed much quieter on the MKS and surprisingly still round despite they were about worn out. The noise path was definitely different because of the better sound deadening in the MKS. And, BTW I now wear hearing aids and hear things I previously would not have. That leaves the sound level of the CXS to my imagination of how bad it actually is, especially with the GY 19". Notably, the CXS and CXL with Michelin are quieter but not as well controlled without the Touring Package. As to the feel of the control, I'd put the non-touring about halfway between those with the package and the MKS.
    It was definitely peppy enough when I put foot in but opportunities were limited so I did not get to check a lot of ranges where you might call for the jet pack.
    But now my main reason for posting this. I moved on to my second test drive, Michelins. Perhaps a tiny bit mushier but much better at absorbing those big bumps. And unlike the previous where I only heard the motor when I put some foot in it, I could hear the low purr in this one at any constant speed.
    GM, wake up. Stop using those horrible GY tires on your upscale autos. Sure there are GY fans, but make that an option for them. Even Chrysler got smart enough to put Michelin and Continental on the 300's.
  • What was finally done to resolve your "Service AWD/Service Rear Axle" messages? I have a 2012 Lacrosse AWD and have the same problems. After five trips to the dealer, they now plan to replace the entire rear end. This lemon has more hours at the dealer's shop than it has on the highway.

I've never experienced this much frustration with a any car, much less a brand new one. GM Support isn't helping much at this point.
  • I'm sorry to hear that your 2012 is resulting in so much frustration! I see you're working with GM Support - do you have a case open? As my coworker Christina responds to our emails, I am not sure if you have worked with us in getting this started. We'd be happy to get you any updates on your Service Request if you were to share the number with us.
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • My 2011 Lacrosse has a horrible vibration as well, so much so that my pants dance around by legs. It has been rebalanced 3 times, road force balanced once, and had the tires replaced at 6000 miles to no avail. The vibration is so noticeable that I cannot enjoy anything about this car. The other car in the household is a 2011 Hyundai Sonata which has a superior ride to this Buick. The GMC Acadia which was given to me as a loaner while mine was in the shop has a far superior ride as well. I am so ashamed that I decided to give GM another try after 20 years with Toyota. I can't believe Buick has made the Lacrosse a flagship car. What a joke. Never will I ever own another GM and I will continue to write and tell everyone what a horrible car this is.
  • bobinorbobinor Posts: 63
    Just to be fair, have you read the reports by me and other very satisfied owners of the 2011 LaCrosse that include praising the ride experience we have had? I'm sorry you have had problems with your ride. I would think if it is as horrible as you report, GM/Buick would find a means to correct the problem or make you a happy camper otherwise. There are warranty solutions. I'm sure GM Customer Service will pipe in here to get your history. Let's see if they can help you out. My CXS is by no means a "horrible car".
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    It has been rebalanced 3 times, road force balanced once, and had the tires replaced at 6000 miles to no avail.

There are many, many things that can cause vibrations other than the tires. I would get a regional rep involved to help figure it out. You could have a bad CV joint, and torque converter issue, bad strut, etc. I am sure they will figure it out if you are persistent enough.

Yes it is a pain the rear, but unfortunately it does happen. I wish you the best.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• 6600madison,
    I am truly sorry to hear about the vibration you've described, and we would be happy to get a Service Request established with us so we could hopefully move towards resolving this with you and your dealership. If you are interested in pursuing this, please send us more information in an email, including your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership. My coworker Christina, who answers inbound emails from the Edmunds forum, will advise you as to the next step(s) at that point.

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Nice of ;;you to input Sarah. I think you may be wrong on the time frame, but I no longer have owners manual to check for sure. I know tires are completely covered, except if you damage, until around 12K. Also to the one with problem, Have the wheels been removed and replaced for any reason?
    Just having a rotation done even? Impact wrenches are the killer of rotors, or more correctly, "Not properly torqueing the wheel nuts." Metal is hard, but not perfectly hard. Those forces applied at the wheel nut spread through the entire assembly with time and result in the warpage that you feel when you brake if not properly torqued. It is not only the rotor that is effected, but the hub that the other end of those studs start in and the wheel itself. I have no data as to the relative hardness of the included components but it would seem the aluminum wheel might be the softest. And if the rotor was extremely hard then the pads might not be able to grab it sufficiently.
    I posted a reply before I read this one. Sounds like you are on the right track. I had such happen because of tire rotation. When I returned to complain, the manager asserted they always hand torqued. I came at the correct moment because just the other side of the glass a mechanic was mounting wheels with an impact wrench. I got new rotors & drums. I had receipts where they were new less than 5K miles earlier and I was not accepting they true, turn my new ones. Those were steel wheels. Today, with the wider tires and aluminum wheels I'd push for them too!
    The Lacrosse was a replacement the Malibu. Would you take another Malibu after such life threatening experiences? And if they can't fix the current one why would you think better of another?
    This is not a reflection on the dealer because I've learned the dealers are tied as to what GM allows or instructs them to do.
    And in my searching, looking at Lincoln MKS's, I've won every bet because of GM's handling of an issue. It was discussed earlier in this forum and a few of you got the real fix. I did not. It seems GM decided it was costing them too much and they no longer replace those mounts on the rear shocks holding the protective boot in place.
    If any of you doubt me or have questions concerning others comments about me, check this one item. Especially if you are shopping.
    On every 2010 and newer Lacrosse, if it has as little as 600 miles in my experience, the protective boots on the rear shocks will have fallen down and they require new mounts. Rather small issue compared to the other problems I had but GM refusing to replace something that will effect the life of the rear shocks sums up GM's attitude toward every problem I had.
    Torque converter is very unlikely. It and other parts inside the transmission all spin when in neutral, no clutches engaged. But there could be some issues associated from the transmission. Particularly at the output where the CV shaft plugs in, such as causing a wobble.
    Struts should show other signs of issues, especially on different road surfaces. But I have heard claims of drivers bending the stabilizer bar. I can only imagine what sort of forces were applied.
    Well it was only an example. It could be a bad motor or trans mount too. It could also be something like an exhaust component rubbing up against something. My point was that a vibration can come from many different areas and it seems as if the OP's dealer on investigated the likely source.

Madison and Chief. When we get the problem from hell, there sure are a lot of doubting Thomas'.
    Can you say it is from front or rear? Isolating to one or the other eliminates or includes drive components.
    They showing you another with the problem does not mean it is not a problem. Only that they are good at creating it.
    Did the rebalancing, rotation, new tires, etc. make any difference?
    Something that should have shown up with RFB would be warped rims/wheels. One thing I've learned over the years is that problems often come from the last work done. Your wheels have been off the vehicle so often, I'd certainly scrutinize them.
    But without further guessing, can you relate more of the problem. Describe relative to speed, cold and warm tires or air temperature, the type of surface and condition, etc. Does it come and go at certain speeds or all speeds. Do you have touring package with full time electronic suspension?
    GM should be volunteering to do almost unworldly things for you as a matter of customer satisfaction. I've heard from two former GM salesmen. One retired, suggested anything but GM truck. The other said he quit GM sales because he could no longer stomach looking customers in the eye. He now works at the same owners, one of their other brand lots.
    And if the service calls it a lemon, yet you hang in there hoping for a good outcome, what would you call that? (It was not brand loyalty)
    I've owned four Buicks. My first car was a Buick Skylark convertible, used. It had GM's failure at an aluminum engine, a 215 CI V8. My next was a 74 LaSabre, used. It was poorly maintained I learned. A head cracked and I started to replace. After pulling the intake manifold I discovered dinosaurs had been living or crapping inside. I closed it up and said goodbye. Next was a 94-93 Regal with 3.1. It blew upper intake gasket dumping coolant in oil. Repaired, we kept it a number of years and passed it to daughter. Shortly after it blew something again, perhaps head gasket. She got rid of it. You know the story of my last one and from a customer standpoint of quality that is why I wish they still built Oldsmobiles.
  • navychief3navychief3 Posts: 8
    edited January 2012
    It appears that you have the same vibration problem that I have been fighting for over a year to no avail. I am so disgusted because Buick/GM will not do more than change tires and balance,I am on my third(3rd)set of tires and 6 roadforce balance on my 2011 Lacrosse CXS...purchased in November 2010, and I only have 5800 miles on the car. I have been to four different dealerships and some can feel the vibration, some can't or say they can't feel the vibration!! I sent a certified letter to Brian Sweeney,VP of Buick sales/service back in April,2011,customer service contacted me and said to get it back to the dealership..I did,four more trips,more new tires(michelin), more road force balance..the problem is still there..this is my 9th new GM vehicle since 1992. I have been to dealerships 15 times. GM has won, they say if they can't duplicate your problem, they can't fix it. My wife can feel the vibration in the passenger seat,I feel it in the accelerator,my leg and seat.It aggravates me to drive the car,hence only 5800 miles in 14 months,I drive my 2001 2500HD which rides smoother. Let me know of your outcome? John.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,179
    Did they reset the alignment?

The technicians in 03 used a vibration sensor device that can detect the vibrations and give the frequency so that it can be matched to various sources that are rotating based on the frequency and harmonics of the rotating parts. If your wife can feel it, the sensor can feel it. The sensor itself can be attached to steering column, seat tracks, instrument panel framework, e.g.
    I understand your feeling. And just want it fixed. But your input of the symptoms could have immeasureable value. The technician has your vehicle for a short time and though he may have recognized your complaint he won't have the day in and out experience to guide him.
    Putting your experience here might be good practice and you might find guidance to hone in on the problem. Good Luck and fire away.
  • It's still open as of 2/8/2012: 71-1027720494.

The dealership is undergoing some training issues and management problems/changes in the Service Department, which is part of the problem.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,081
    fedupwithgm3,
    Thank you for your reply. I looked into your case and see your agent spoke with the dealer today while you were there. I recommend continuing to work with your agent regarding your concerns. The agent is looking into their resources and should be in contact with you soon. I apologize for your inconvenience and frustrations. Thank you for giving us the opportunity work with you and correct your concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Thank you for looking into this. My 2012 Buick Lacrosse AWD has been in the shop a total of about 27 days so far. The car has many times more hours in the shop than on the road. After five trips to the dealer, they have now installed a complete new rear differential, managed to put a dent in the left rear door, and got grease on the console and carpet in the drivers compartment. Maybe I'll get the car back early next week to see if it finally runs right. This is "Professional Grade?"
    After you get it fixed, bring the GM of the dealer over to your car and request a full detail "on the house"

A long time ago on my 2003 Avalon, they had to replace the sunroof tracks. The car had light ivory interior. When I got it back that night the car had dirt, grease and fingerprints all over.

I went in calmly and asked to speak with one of the sales managers. I showed him the car, and immediately paged a detail man and had the entire interior cleaned/detailed.

Looking back you will see where the dealer, then I, tried to get info from GM as to which portable HDD actually worked via the USB port. The dealer could not get an answer so he could determine if it was a problem with my vehicle. GM never gave me an answer either.
    That same drive without any changes plugged into my 2010 MKS happily started playing and indexing the music files.
    Albeit, it only plays the MP3's and gives me a message concerning other formats. But it at least works where it did not with Buick. Shame on you Buick. Almost six months have passed and you have obviously chosen to ignore.
    E_Net. You obviously had serious issues with your LaCrosse. GM bought it back and you are still on here to bash them. Frankly, to judge a car because a HDD doesn't interface properly isn't going to matter to anyone. I bought a 16GB thumb stick for mine. It works fine, if it didn't I would return it and try another or do a search for one that DOES work. There are compatibility issues with hardware ALL THE TIME. I'm sure the engineers tried to make the system work with as many devices as possible.

Please, enjoy your MKS I hope it plays all your MP3s and provides you with many miles of driving enjoyment. The LaCrosse forum isn't very active here, but doesn't need the whining... "OOOOOHHH my MKS plays my HDD better than my (bought back) LaCrosse.

• crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    tjc: Agree 100% with your comments regarding constant bashing. Seems that once a person returned TWO cars they would move on and bash their new replacement victim.
    Our 2010 Lacrosse CXL with 3.0L V-6 has been a great car after ~14,000 miles. We felt fortunate to be able to afford such a nice feature packed car that gets fantastic MPG fora 4000 pound large comfortable safe car. We expect minor problems with any product designed and assembled by mere humans. Buick gets 28-29 on highway at speed limit- pretty good.
    We recently bought a 2012 Sonata to replace another older GM model that gave us 14 years and 114,000 miles of service, with some problems of course. The sonata is awell made car also. It is not a mid $30's buick with leather heated seats and many options, but it is a good car so far and addresses the higher gas cost with 24/35 EPA ratings and actual better on the highway.
    Conclusion: We have many choices to buy good reliable value added cars and should be thankful we can afford them- so enjoy - don't gripe!
    "OOOOOHHH my MKS plays my HDD better than my (bought back) LaCrosse. That is your interpretation, not mine.
    Do you know anyone who can actually say it works as said? Yes this is relatively low for some people and apparently so for GM, as are the seats/memory and a lot of other things.
    My point is, "is GM going to fix the problems?" or are they just going to add a bit of enticing glitz such as Pandora.
    The MKS is not perfect, but at least the seat memory works like for real. Seat does not move until I hit the start button. At that time the steering wheel, mirrors, etc. all move to my preset position.
    While I was out shopping, I ran across a lot of used Lacrosse, 2010 & up. Way too many for a car that is supposed to be so fantastic in an economy like this.
    I also won every (small) bet I made on them. For those who got their rear upper shock mounts replaced because of the fallen boots, you were lucky. By time I got in they refused, did not see it as a problem. That is GM did not see it as a problem, nor any of the other many things that were bad/not working.
    My opinion, now that you have prompted me in that direction, is that GM has major problems. To get anything fixed, attention has to be called. GM, taking the position of not fixing anyting, or very little, seems to be that you bought it, you own it, take it somewhere else to get it fixed.
    So for those of you who lucked up with getting a perfect one, I'd say heads up. When things go wrong you might find that warranty is not worth much.
    Good Luck to all.
    I'll be around.
    I have yet to learn how FLM is doing in the warranty area this time around.
    I'm a pretty critical car owner. I've had a disaster of a GM vehicle that would make your LaCrosse experience seem pale in comparison. That was well over ten years ago. I hope I continue to be "lucky" with my LaCrosse. Every single feature (I have everything except the "Touring" suspension and rear entertainment) works as designed. The NAV, USB port, seat memory etc. The only MINOR complaint is the fact you have to hold down the memory button for the seat/mirrors to return to the preset. It's not a deal breaker either way.

I ran across a lot of used Lacrosse, 2010 & up. Way too many for a car that is supposed to be so fantastic in an economy like this.

That means nothing. It could be short term leases, fleet sales, repos, etc. There is nothing to suggest that LaCrosse is a problem child or a car that isn't recommended due to reliability.

is that GM has major problems

Every car manufacurer has "problems" GM has had their share and don't think for one minute that Ford/Lincoln doesn't either.