Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I wouldn't say that. I've driven an Azera (not new upcoming model) and I've owned and Avalon and a V6 Genesis. All of the cars have their strongpoints. The Avalon is the roomiest,has the best engine, and has a very soft ride. The Genesis is the best handling machine of the group and has a slight edge in interior materials, but the ride is awful (jittery and unsettled on all but perfect roads). The LaCrosse seems to blend everything together pretty well. The premium III I have (think previous CXS w/o the adaptive ride) is just firm enough to allow decent handling but still deliver a very comfortable compliant ride. All the technology works as well as the other cars and it's roomy and comfortable. The revised 3.6 is a sweet engine, but the car could use a diet to make up some mpg. The Lacrosse is behind the others slightly in that category.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    The Hyundai boys have been trying to break into the near lux market for some years IMO. The Sonata and Elantra models have opened up the small and midsized market with GREAT products and price points. We have a 2010 CXL( 3.0L V-6) and could not be happier. Intersting that GM offers Premium models w/o the adjustable ride and other problem features.
    Now considering a new Sonata to fill out the garage with warranteed vehicles. Gotta keep an open mind on changes in the car market.
    Agree with your comment the forum is dead - Esp. w/o the bashers.
    Intersting that GM offers Premium models w/o the adjustable ride and other problem features.

They really changed the way the cars are optioned up. There are no trim lines, only packages w/ some additional standalone options.

For example, the 2012 I just got was a "Premium III" w/ NAV, Roof, and Driver Confidence. The "Touring" is the new package that gets you the adjustable suspension and 19" wheels (PIII has 18" chrome)

I would guess the closest 2011 would have been a CXL V6 w/ additional options. I believe the CXS came standard with the adaptive suspension, or was that a package that you could add to the CXS?

• crankeeecrankeee Posts: 297
    edited November 2011
    Very interesting post. By letting the consumer order ONLY the options he/she wants they end up with a happier post sale feeling. Your PIII with 18" wheels lets you get the Michelin tires and NOT the adaptive suspension that has been problematic along with the 19" Goodyears that used to come with. We got the 18" with Michelin Pilots - great tires IMO and the 18" allows for less of the low profile approach that we wanted. I like the change to individual options - like the old days before the "packs" where you had to buy Nav to get leather etc. Enjoy the new car.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,161
    edited November 2011
    The sunroof is a sour point though. In all packages the sunroof is a high price option. I believe it should be standard in the Premium III and Touring packages. For example in the Avalon Limited (and I believe the Genesis) the sunroof is standard.

Moving unto another topic. After 16 months I have finally passed the 10,000 miles threshold on my 2011 CXS. The car has been trouble-free and performs the same as it did on the first day of ownership. In that time I've had four oil changes (one free) and one tire rotation. I use Shell V-Power 93 octane and I am very happy with the performance I am getting from the very spirited V-6.

All I can say is that I am very happy with my LaCrosse and I have no regrets except that if it were possible I would welcome the opportunity to upgrade to the Interlink system. Does anyone know if that is technically possible and if so at what price?
  • cooleyddcooleydd Posts: 105
    I have the 19" tires and hate them. They ride hard and damage easily. Can I go down to a smaller tire like 18" or even 16"? I know I would have to buy new rims. Can this be done and what difference would it cause on the adaptive suspension, etc.
    I have some 4GB of CD's on my computer using Windows Media Player. How can I get these to the hard disk on my Lacrosse. Windows Media shows the title, disk, etc. - will these transfer if I copy over to the HD.
    It should show title, etc. What I would do is, transfer the music to a DVD, USB stick or multiple data CDs and then load it up into the car. However the titles show up while the disk is playing is how the HDD will store them.

I recently burned about a 100 MP3s onto a DVD and loaded them onto the hard drive. I was suprised how quickly the system copied them.

• ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,744
    Irrelevant? Don't be absurd. They're still Hyundais, for good and bad. The Genesis has hardly been the second coming the Hyundai cheerleaders claim it would be and I expect the Azera to be widely praised by the so-called automotive journalists but have its own set of issues in the real world.

One thing Hyundai does better than everyone else, without question, is the ability to get automotive websites and others to tout their products by whatever means possible. Perhaps the rumors that they pay cash are true.

The Buick remains in a class that is several cuts above Hyundai.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

cooleydd,

I had the same questions concerns about the 19" wheels and tires but alas it would not be a good idea to move down to smaller tires. I spoke with my service manager and a GM engineer and they both said the same thing...don't do it.

Since the CXS with the Touring package and adaptive suspension was designed to work exclusively with the 19" wheels and tires any change to smaller tires would degrade ride and handling to unacceptable levels.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    I agree that there may be some concerns relating to tire size change. But I'm unsure that GM figured that much out.
    According to build it site, Buick offered the H-arm suspension on all except the bottom one near the end of 2010's, maybe early 2011. I know because I was very interested in the special suspension.
    It was listed for awhile that way on the top three models, maybe even standard. I assumed it was needed for the AWD setup.
    Note, at that time it did not include 19" wheels or the full time monitoring of suspension system.
    By the build it site, it totally disappeared as an option for awhile. Not listed with any level.
    After a couple of months passed, it was back on the build it site, but only available on the CXS. This is the first I recall it being an option, that is part of an option package as well.
    So, when I ordered I was aware it included the H-arm, 19" wheel, and full time adaptive suspension with sport mode.
    But no one said anything about the horrible Goodyear tires being part of it.
    With my experience, I can not think of any good reason to make them part of the package.
    Except maybe you drive too fast all of the time. I noticed that at 100 the roughness went away and the noise was less noticeable because of increased other noises. Steering was very crisp at those speeds and faster.
    Perhaps the Michelin would degrade a little at those speeds, but who really drives that fast all the time.
    It would seem the advantages of the Michelin would be far greater than the Goodyear.
    Either tire would benefit from a little fine tuning of that suspension system.
    What I noticed on some surfaces was the poor planning of the articulation of the H-arm. A slight bump in the road would cause a rear tire to move in and out and induce sway on the rear of the vehicle. Likely the stiffness of the Goodyear and the low profile contributed to the degree of this bad handling. By going to sport mode, which stiffened suspension, it eliminated that sway in all but the worst cases. And that road was rough to the point that the stiffness made for a hard ride.

So, when the H-arm was on CXL FWD and CXL AWD and CXS with the 18" wheels, the higher profile likely made that action less objectionable, allowing more give to sidewall.
    In all, I'd say GM could have designed better. Initially to chose better pivot points to reduce the in and out action of the wheel. Add load leveling so no matter your load, the rear behaved the same way. Also by not allowing those big height changes on the rear, you don't effect the steering angles on the front. Nor headlight aiming.
    It is almost as if they chose to make a worse vehicle.
    I have had the dealer look at the delay twice and they could not reproduce. Contacted GM Customer Service. The outcome of that contact was "If the dealer can not reproduce - there is nothing we can do". So I live with the shifting delay and compensate in the way I drive.
    I have a 2010 Lacrosse (6 cyl) and a Chev Cobalt and a Pontiac Vibe. I need to make these so they do not run and want to do so without disconnecting the batteries. Any easy way to do this or any gadget that I could add. Have a problem child that will steal them if she finds a key (we try to hide).

Suggestions please - something easy to do but she would never know.
    Find out which fuse is the fuel pump and pull it out.

• I just got a 2010 White Diamond LaCrosse CXS with 16k on it about a month ago, and I am absolutely in love. Mine is completely loaded including HID & HUD. I recently had the chance to drive a CXL 4cyl while mine was in to have the tires re-balanced. I must say there is quite a difference in those two cars. I don't think I'd pay good money for the lesser model. I don't mean this snobbishly but I kind of wish they had not produced those lesser versions thus cheapening the model line with them.
    The seats were no where near as comfortable as the perforated ones in the CXS also, the ride was not as soft or quiet either, not to mention the lack of power. It felt like a completely different car, more like a Camry. Did I mention that I'm in love with this car!
    joelippard3,

Welcome and congrats on purchasing your CXS. And welcome to the growing number of satisfied LaCrosse owners. For a moment there I thought you quoted a purchase price of $16k, which would have been be a phenomenal deal, but on further review it was the odometer reading. Nonetheless, enjoy your LaCrosse and Happy Thanksgiving.
  • bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    Really? And just what are the Hyundai's mysterious "set of issues"? Do you have evidence that Hyundai is paying automotive journalists to praise their products, or is that something you made up? Instead of being grumpy, you need to get out and drive the new Azera and Genny V6. Nothing is "several cuts" above them.

Granted Buick is improving, and I'm very happy about that. I wish I could justify buying American. However when I plunk down $35K, I have to get the best car for the money. IMHO, that's not a Buick right now.
    I had an 09 Genesis and now a 12 LaCrosse PIII. The LaCrosse is the better car in most every way. The Genny handles better at the limits at the major expense of ride quality, and has a slight edge in interior materials. The Lacrosse ride blows away the Gen, the 3.6 is smoother than the 3.8 and equal to the 4.6. GMs HiPer struts practically eliminate torque steer and the car has a great balance of ride/handling not floaty but not harsh either.

• cooterbfdcooterbfd Posts: 2,770
    As a proud owner of a '10 Lacrosse CXS as well as 3 other Buicks, I'll STILL say Hundee is the official car of the underemployed!!!! ;)
  • I agree the new Azera looks good. Hyundai hit the mark targeting Honda with their Elantra and Sonata. The problem is many Americans don't look to Honda as a benchmark any longer.

The 2012 Azera needs to come in under $30K to make a big impact. It looks good and has specs to attract the baby boomers that want refinement. Price will be key. At $35K the new Azera won't do a lot of damage. At $29K it could be a home run.