Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Veracruz Tires, Wheels and Suspension

Comments

• My GLS FWD was built in April of 08 and it has the Kumho 789 Plus tires. Seem to be decent tires and so far I've had good luck in the midwest snow and ice, altough it's better on the highway than in town when it's slippery. Winter tires are certainly the way to go, but I hate to pull these already - not to mention the TPMS hastle if I change something out right now.
  • The GLS trim is equipped with either Hankook or Kumho tires. Its not uncommon for Hyundai to offer both of these Korean brands. The SE and Limited trims are only equipped with Michelins.
  • hiestandhiestand Posts: 10
    About the "squeak" in the rear of the vehicle. My 2008 Veracruz LTD AWD has 24,000 mi and has had the squeak since the beginning. I was told my rear tire had cupping, my service rep, said it was because I probably had driven over something like a curb. But I also hear a thumping syncopated noise from the rear tire area. Probably from the cupping defect. Last Sat. as I pulled into a parking lot off a busy street, the entire spare tire fell out of the bottom of the storage area all over the street. I looked for the "bolt" that holds it into place but it was nowhere to be found. No bolt, just a cable mechanism. Today when I took it in to be put back up into the storage area, I was told the cable holding the spare in place had frayed and broken. Anyone else lose their spare when the cable frayed & broke?
  • jmaulsbyjmaulsby Posts: 54
    At around 30,000 miles, my 2007 SE started making noise due to all four tires being cupped out. The Hyundai dealer has rotated them every 7,500 miles and I keep 32 to 35 psi in the tires. The dealer told me that they did not find anything wrong with the tires! Two separate tire service company reps told me that they were cupped; one man said it was alignment issue and the other man said it was weak shocks or struts or both. Since alignment is not covered by warranty, I paid $115 and the alignment was only slightly out of spec.; a few hundredths of a degree. Struts and shocks were not leaking. Michelin tires do not cup by themselves; not even the OEM tires. Tires still had 7/32" tread. Michelin offered to give me 50% off on a new set of tires for a walk out the door price of $400. I am worried that the shocks/struts will ruin this set of tires as well. IF this was a big issue, more people would be complaining and apparently they are not.
  • ls1993ls1993 Posts: 10
    My 08 VC Limited (3300 miles on it) vibrates when it reaches 70 Mph. It usually last for 5 to 10 seconds then the car comes back to its normal, smooth self. The annoying thing is most of the time when it accelarates to 70 Mph, the vibration returns.
    My first thought was the wheel alignment and balance, got both of them taken care of but the problem persists. Any thought??
  • laweaglelaweagle Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 Veracruz. At about 22,000. miles, I started getting terrible noise vibration from the Michelin tires. I have taken it into the dealership 3 times. The second time, they said the tires had worn improperly and there was cupping on the outer edges due to bad alignment. They realigned the tires 3 months ago. Problem is still as bad if not worse. Looking at these posts, it looks like others have had the same tire problems with the Veracruz. Has anyone determined the cause and if so, is there a fix for the problem?
    Once the tires are cupped, there is little that can be done to make them ride quiet again. They will only get louder. There is a tire store in Dallas, TX that for $100 will shave off each tire until they are round again. Very few tire stores have this capability anymore.

How much was the alignment off? Did they provide you with a copy of the printout? If the struts and shocks are not leaking, I am not sure how to prove that they are weak and the cause of the tire cupping. Discount Tire will now be watching my new tires for signs of improper wear as I don't trust the Hyundai dealership to catch it in time.
  • mltgjgmltgjg Posts: 1
    Hello, I am having the same problem with my 2008 VC. I took my vehicle to the dealer, and was informed that a alignment was necessary due to the feathering/cupping on my tires. I have 28,500 miles on my tires, and I have been consistent with maintenance on the vehicle. I have the dealer change the oil and rotate/balance the tires on a regular basis.

My wife drives the vehicle to and from work ( highway miles) , and the repair tech suggested that pot holes or bumpy roads would cause the misalignment...

Needless to say, all of this occurred prior to reading this forum. I did pay for the alignment. Now, I'm feeling a sense of being taken advantage of. Furthermore, I am concerned that this will continue to be a costly process. Especially, the wear and tear on tires and having to replace them often.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your outcome and what recourse have you considered?

Thanks
  • laweaglelaweagle Posts: 2
    Fortunately, at the urging of the Hyundai Service Manager, I contacted Michelin and Michelin agreed to replace the tires with a generous concession even though there were 31,000. miles on the tires. The tires would have been warranted for 65,000. miles if they had been purchased from a Michelin dealer instead of being original equipment tires. Now, I will watch the tread wear closely on the new tires and perhaps routinely get a wheel alignment check. It sounds like this Veracruz model may have difficulty in keeping the wheel alignment correct. I will update this post as the facts develop.
    Did your Hyundai dealership provide you with a copy of the wheel alignment printout so that you could look at it and ask questions? Unless the alignment numbers were several degrees off the recommend specs, that is not the problem. My alignment numbers were off the Hyundai recommended specs by a few tenths of a degree and my tires were cupped. There is still a good possibility that sets of weak struts and/or shocks were installed and they are not holding the wheels to the road firmly enough to prevent cupping. How much did Michelin agree to discount the new set of tires? They gave me 50% off of a new set; as I had 31,000 miles on my tires.
  • hoff3hoff3 Posts: 1
    Starting at about 9,000 miles my Veracruz starting roaring down the road. The dealer told me the tires were cupping because I did not rotate them enough, I had them rotated at 7,500 miles. I kept bringing the car in for the next 9 months for continual problems. They found a broken sway bar, then finally a bent strut. I finally had all 4 tires replaced at 24,000 miles. They still won't fix the squeaking over every little bump. How do all these things happen to a new car if there is not a serious problem with the suspension? This is the worst car I ever bought. I won't even list the rest of the problems on the interior. What makes it worse is the dealership or Hyundai will not stand behind their warranty to make things right. It is a shame because it is a pretty vehicle.
  • Oh Man....I am having serious issues with cupping as well, I am a sales person who does heavy duty miles (about 50K per year) and I have 80K on my 2007 Vercruz now, I am on my second set of tires, I replaced the first set prematurely due to cupping. I purchased the second set and religiously every 6k I get them rotated and every 12, I get them alligned at a very reputable tire shop in Massachusetts.
    I am still getting the cupping which started to occur at round the 30,000 mile mark then has gotten progressivly worse .
    In my 20 years of being on the road and going through a Passat, Volvo850, VolvoC70, CamaryXLE, and a Altima.......I have never had the issues that I have had with the Veracruz Thanks to the warranty most of them have been taken care of 2 sets of bearings, sway bar links, viscus coupler, hub assembly.
    Now I am scheduled to go in an have the struts and shocks replaced. I really think that this vehicle sucks in regards to anything that is attached to the wheels.
    If there are any Mechanics out there that can chime in I would greatly appreciated it. There are not even any after market products to replace the faulty Hyundai products. I am returning to either a Toyota or Nissan.
    :mad:
  • mjb56mjb56 Posts: 170
    I just learned that my 07 VC GLS with 44k mi. needs new "rear" brakes. But only on the passenger side. It was determined that the glides on the calipers were sticking, thus causing premature wear on the pads. NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY, per Hyundai. Now, obviously, since the other three brakes are just fine, something has failed here. But the Hyundai rep said, he could understand why I'm concerned but the brakes are only covered 12 months, 12K mi. I've been reasonably happy with the vehicle so far (other than the oil leak) but this takes the cake. They talked the dealer into providing the pads for free but I said, why punish the dealer for your defect. Can this be reported to the NTSB or some such authority?
  • Hi,

I completely blew one of the tires on my Veracruz. Ordered single replacement tire (tires were almost new, almost no wear), however when I got home I realized that they actually sold me very similar but not exactly the same tire. So I'm now with one mis-matched tire on my car.

The original tires were Michelin Latitude Tour, and the new tire that ended up on my car is Michelin Latitude Tour HP. Very similar in look (Tour has zig-zagged sipes, Tour HP has flat sipes) and a bit different load/speed rating (104T vs. 104H).

How serious is the screwup that Costco made? Should I worry about stability of the car on the road in situations such as emergency braking in severe weather?
  • My buddy who bought one of these for his wife finally gave up on it and is selling it. I told him he should file a lemon law suit, but much to my dismay, he claims he's too busy at the moment to deal with it.

The vehicle is no more than 18 months old and has been in and out of the shop at least a dozen times, sometimes for things Hyundai claims they fixes repeatedly.

By the way, a lot of electrical problems and a very bad vibration coming from the drivetrain at speeds between 30mph and 58ish mph - so much so, that his wife is scared to drive it.
  • hello, is everyone only having the problem with the michelin tires? i have 29,000 miles on the Hankook tires, rotated them once, and have had no tire issues at all.
  • The T speed rating is good to 118 mph while H is rated to 130 mph. Is the new tire Mud & Snow? If so, you came out ahead.
  • I'm considering a GLS with premium package which includes "upgrade" to 18" tires. My question - is there any benefit to 18" tires. Also can every model veracruz operate correctly with either tire. So if I ask the salesman to put 17" tires on instead of the 18" will everything operate correctly?

I checked Sam's club website and they have 14 different 17" tires for the veracruz versus only 5 choices for the 18" tires.

Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks.
  • Almost the exact situation with my 2007 veracruz with 43,500 miles. The rear brake pads were worn 80%, however the front pads were almost perfect! The service rep. offered front pad replacement for $198.
    Thanks for the posting. I'm going the dealer armed with your findings. If you have any additional info. I would appreciate knowing. I'll keep you posted.
    It's the first problem with this car, which I have found heretofore trouble free.
  • dgldgl Posts: 8
    edited April 2010
    I have 73,000 on my Veracruz SE and started to hear the familiar grinding sound when applying the brakes. I took it to an independent shop and they informed me that both inside rear pads are down to the metal. Both rear rotors have to be replaced along with the pads. Total quote is $600.00 Funny though, I had the dealer inspect my brakes when I bought the vehicle in to have the brake light switch replaced due to a recall and they said the brakes are fine, this was about a couple of months ago. I don't think I can trust the dealer.
  • ben4025ben4025 Posts: 1
    I am considering a VC and reading feedbacks. I have a 2004 Accord and the rear brakes wore out around 40K. Not covered by warranty either. Dealer said that Honda uses more pressure in the rear brakes for better stopping power and better wear. Right now at 57 K and the front brakes have not been changed.... I do not know if the dealers comment is true, but i find it interesting that the VC has a similar issue. I would like to know if the VC maintenance is more/less expensive than a regular SUV. I am considenring AWD.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,857
    Dealer said that Honda uses more pressure in the rear brakes for better stopping power and better wear...I do not know if the dealers comment is true...

IIRC, yes it's true. Honda uses brake force distribution to evenly distribute the braking load to all for wheels. Unfortunately, the rear pads used to be thinner so they wear out first.
  • At 51,000 miles my rear brake pad started metal to metal rubbing between the pad metal and rear disc. all brake material on the piston side ( inside ) pad was gone.
    Not that hard to replace, just a 14mm wrench and a "C" clamp to push the piston back in. Rear pads, both sides, was about $30.00.

Also my OEM Michelens were toast at 50,000mi, they sounded like those horns at the world cup matches.
    I replaced them with Yokohamas and like them much better.
  • ggeeooggeeoo Posts: 94
    My wife noticed the Hankook Tires on our new 2010 VW TDI Sedan my 2010
    VW Sport Jetta Wagon that I bought 6 Wundabar {wonderful} months ago has the
    Contacte-Pro on it smooth ride all the same.
  • mjb56mjb56 Posts: 170
    edited September 2010
    After having the rear brake pads replaced, my dealer is now recommending that they be serviced every 15K mi. by cleaning them. I'm not quite sure how, or why, this helps but they claim Hyundai is making this suggestion. I've complained iin the past about a squeak coming from the passenger rear quarter area and have been told it's an emergency brake cable rubbing against something and that this procedure would cure it. Sounds odd to me as I've never had a vehicle which required brake cleaning procedures. And with 61K mi on the car, the front brakes are fine.

Oh, also had to have the sway bar links replaced just before the 60K warranty was up. Noisy and loose. This was a surprise as well.
  • I just had to have rear brakes replaced at just under 51K; front brakes less than half worn.

Mechanic attributed it to poor lube of calipers, so they don't retract correctly.

That is probably why the 15K cleaning is recommended.
  • I know the frustration people are having with the tire cupping problem. Our problem was first noticed at at 15,000 mile check up by a local service/tire store. We took the Veacruz to the dealer and they said there was no problem with the vehicle, the alignment was good and all components checked out. They recommended reversing the tires for even wear. So we tried that, but what a noise the tires made. To make a long story short, we reversed the tires agai, and the delaer still denied any problem. This occurred over a period of 1 and 1/2 years til we got so fed up we traded the Veracruz in for a Toyota Venza (guess we like "V" cars). But it cost me $1,000 off the agreed trade-in vale once the tires were inspected.
    We won't be buying another Hyundai, mostly because of the service department's attitude during all this. We even had to complain to the National headquarters about rusting brake sheilds that they refused to repair when the car had less than 10,000 miles on it.
    What good is the "Best Warantee" when they refuse to honor anything! :confuse:
  • My 2008 Veracruz with only 17k miles has warped rotors. Of course, Hyundai will not do anything except "turn"....ie cut....the rotors for a cheap temporary fix. Taking metal OFF a rotor will never fix the problem...it will warp again.

So if you are considering a Hyundai, know that this company does NOT stand behind their product. Quality rotors DO NOT warp with only 17k miles (and minimal use as most of those miles were long trips on the highway). They use cheap OEM parts and could care less about their customers. Note that the Veracruz LTD was a $38k suv when I purchased it in 2008. For a little bit more I could have purchased an Acura, Infiniti or Lexus....all makes which I have owned in the past. They would have fixed this issue with NEW rotors in a second. But you get what you pay for...beware of Hyundai and their cheap parts were most consumers/reviewers will not notice.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,857
    IMHO, they are at least doing something. Most manufacturers (and I believe that includes Hyundai), warrant wear parts for 1 year/12K miles.
  • Right...but something means nothing to me as I have NEVER not had warped rotors replaced when under 36k miles. Lexus, Infiniti/Nissan have replaced warped rotors with NEW rotors. I realize that all manufactures try to save money by using cheap OEM pieces. But at least they stand behind them to REPLACE when the car is relatively new.

Doesn't matter anyhow, Hyundai made up its mind and refused to replace rotors. So Acura gets my business....new TL for me and forget about Genesis. Good service is important and Hyundai doesn't have it. And when comparing TL to Genesis, they cost about the same. Why would anyone deal with Hyundai when they can get Acura??

And funniest part is that difference to Hyundai between two options (paying dealer to cut rotor/new pads vs new rotor/new pads) is minimal as they buy rotors in bulk and need to PAY dealer to cut rotors. So extra cost would only be their cost of rotor minus what they pay dealer for cutting old rotors. But I guess they didn't figure that I as consumer would not buy their Genesis AND go on these forums to alert anybody reading about Hyundai North America's policies. Add that as a potential cost to Hyundai for being CHEAP!

Dumb decision from my perspective given the small money involved for them. Now for me, buying new quality rotors/pads plus installation might cost about $450. Or maybe just get rid of the Veracruz and let the next dealer/owner worry about it.