Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Volkswagen Golf IV

jagat11jagat11 Posts: 1
edited March 11 in Volkswagen
Any views and opinions out there for the new
4rth generation Volkswagen Golf slated to be
introduced at the North American International Auto
Show in January '99? Any first hand
accounts/comments on the car?

Comments

• Have you seen it on the German VW site? It looks good from the front but has an ugly rear. I know that looks are subjective and taste can change over time. A friend from Europe agrees that the rear is ugly but he says that there are many different hatchbacks over there with similar looks and so he is beginning to get used to it. Have you seen the BMW hatchback? It's ugly on first glance too.
    I'm sure it will be a great car. I've been writing to VW to try to get it imported in the wagon version. This would have a little more room.
  • muzhikmuzhik Posts: 18
    I agree that 318ti rear is kinda ugly, but not so with Golf IV. I think that the whole design is very well executed and makes up a great-looking car. I am looking forward to complementing my BMW 328i with a 2-door GTI...
  • to the front page of www.edmunds.com is "The New Jetta, Golf and Cabrio are Improved for ’99, But Will Drivers Want Them?" by John Clor.

Watch for it and let us know what you think!

Community Manager
  • Does anyone know when/where I will be able to get an Edmunds price listing on the new Golf GLS for 1999? I'd hate to start shopping without that valuable info.

Arnie
  • mznmzn Posts: 727
    The 1999 VW Golf prices are in! Just choose "New Cars" on the upper left menu bar, then select "Volkswagon." You'll find all the 1999 VW prices so you can just scroll down and choose your model!

carlady/host
  • Yes I see those 1999 VW Golf prices. But those are for the holdover 1998 Golfs still sitting at VW dealers.

The "New" 1999 Golfs are premiering now at the Auto Show. I was wondering when those prices would be relected on the Edmunds page.

Thanks for the quick response.

Arnie
    Arnie I don't think so. We have the 1998 car prices for all cars manufactured in 1998 (whether on or off the lot) and I believe our 1999 prices reflect the 1999 models being released now. I'll check and if this is wrong, you'll find my mea culpa here!

carlady/host
  • The current Edmunds review for the '99 Golf says:

"This 1999 model is due to be replaced shortly by an all-new and completely redesigned 1999
    Golf, leaving two versions of the 1999 Golf available for awhile."

I also see in that section that there are prices for the 1999 Jetta and a separate section for the "New Jetta."

At VW's website I can get the MSR on the new Golf... but I hope to be well armed with dealer invoice info when I go to shop as soon as these babies get to the dealerships.

thanks,
    Arnie
  • muzhikmuzhik Posts: 18
    ..can be found at www.scottvw.com. This site is a great source of VW information. I wish all VW dealerships were run like this...
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    That scottvw site is sweet. I think the new Golf has a cute butt.
  • zerindzerind Posts: 2
    Well guys, I just bought the first 99 VW GTI GLS in Texas on Saturday. Unfortunatly, the dealer was NOT willing to negotiate on the car. It was the only one they had and the only one in the state of Texas for that matter (I called every VW dealer in Dallas, Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston and only my dealer in Austin had one). Another thing I noticed was that I knew more than the dealers about this car. I called one dealer and asked if they had any 99 GTIs in. He told me he had one in Blue waiting to be sold. When I told him they didn't come in blue..he was kind of dumbfounded :)

I also found out that the Tropic Orange color has been discontinued as it was a limited run color only. Luckily thats what I picked up. I drive a 92 Camry and I'm looking now for a car that stands out. Overall I love the car. It has everything I could ever ask for in a car, and best of all its German (Actually made in Germany unlike the Jetta which is made in Mexico). To anyone who is a possible buyer for this car..definitly shop around and see if a dealer is willing to cut the price a little. Of course if you want a model that is rare (Loaded passats, Jetta GLX, Golf GTI), be prepared to pay full sticker.
    Here's the Edmunds review of the New 4th Generation VW Golf, along with the new Jetta and Cabrio.

Edmunds says it's "a fun-to-drive, chunky but spunky hatchback." Take a look and tell us what you think!

carlady/host
  • Just checked the Edmunds new car prices for the Golf. They are not the new Golf prices. For example, the Wolfsburg edition is listed which is not new in '99. The '99 models are the GL, the GLS and the GLX. The problem is that VW essentially has two 1999 model Golfs: The ones they have out already which are similar to the '98s and the new ones about to come out soon. A local dealer refers to the new Golf as a "1999-and-a-half" model. From what I've read, the new Golf sounds good and I'm interested in a test drive as soon as they are available!
  • nasmarnasmar Posts: 1
    When is Edmund's going to list the prices for the new (4th) generation golf's especially the GTI-VR-6. I passed by one of the local dealers in town and he stated that he has one GTI-VR6 at the port and he expects to have it on the lot within a week.I am interested in knowing what the dealer invoice on these cars are. I know the the MSRP is just over $22K.
    Help anybody !!!!
  • New Golf 4's are arriving at dealers now, but in limited colors. Lots of white & red GL's. -At least where I live, in So-Cal... Waiting for a silver GLS. Unfortunately, the local salesman said he didn't "know jack about it" and when a silver would arrive.
  • my question is when are safety results going to show up for the new model golf? they really confused the car dealers by putting out an old body 1999 golf and now a new body 1999 golf. I've heard that the new body structure is the same as the beetles, so that should mean that it is incredibly safe, which is great news since there were conflicting safety tests for the old body golfs. Does anybody know anything?
  • Hallelujah!

I see the Kelly Blue Book web page now has the dealer invoice info on the "New" 1999 Golfs.

Looks like the 4 door Hatchback's dealer invoice price is $15,078 compared to the MSRP of $16,350.

Not a lot of options since most everything comes standard.

Arnie
  • Ineed a auto golf. is there such a thing?
  • Automatic Golfs are defintiely available other than in the VR6.
  • Automatic Transmission is an option. Looks like around $875.

Listings also say that certain colors are an additional $175. But no extra charge for black cars. I never heard of such a thing. Do other autos charge a premium for colors??

Arnie
This discussion has been closed.