Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Soul Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,043
Tell us about shopping for your Soul!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Comments

• gofitguygofitguy Posts: 4
    Bought the Soul ! for my son last week at Liberty Auto Plaza in Libertyville, IL. He drove the Nissan Cube & Scion xB & strongly preferred the Soul. Liberty has been great to deal with in every way. I've bought numerous Nissan's from them but this was my first Kia. They went out of their way to locate & trade for the color my son wanted & had it the next day.

So far, he LOVES the vehicle. The styling isn't as polarizing in or out as the Cube & it has more power & standard features than the others in this class for the price. The 1.9% APR financing & much longer standard warranty make this a fantastic value as long as the reliability is good.

As a repeat customer, I got a very good deal. Most dealers in this area are asking list price & adding options but Liberty did give me a fair discount (not much profit margin) & a super-easy buying experience with no "brain damage" from the staff.

I highly recommend the Soul ! & Liberty Kia.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Congrats on getting your new Soul, gofitguy. It certainly sounds as though you had a pleasant dealer experience. You can stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to tell even more people about it if you'd like. I hope that your son enjoys his new ride :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    Wow, I really thought there'd be more activity in this discussion. I will be making a deal very soon on a Soul+ with the five-speed sometime in the next week, I hope. I'll post the results here, in case there's anyone reading the Soul discussions.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,682
    oh yeah, I'm following the Soul discussions. Kia is one my two favorite carmakers and the Soul has definitely caught my attention for it's smooth quirkiness.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• I bought a Sport model with the sun roof, paid 18,900. Vestal NY at Matthews Auto, nice people everything went great. So far I love the car and I'm not a young buyer, I'm 43 but the car fits me. I lost my right leg a few years back and the seat height in this is perfect for me getting in and out of it.
  • gswhatgswhat Posts: 1
    So far So good. I have had a few new cars over the years but this is the first new car I have bought that I have not found any defects yet. I am 52 and believe it is a very sensible and classy car. Comfortable and good head room with lots of extras for the price.
    It is the ! model which includes the sunroof. Paid 18,500 with a little extra pinstripe and home link / compass mirror from Coleman Kia in NJ. They were good, price was fair and they found me the model and color I wanted.
  • scottlscottl Posts: 109
    You people are crazy for paying over OVER sticker for a Kia Soul. In three months there will be rebates on them. It happens with almost every new model that has any appeal at all.

I went to a Kia dealer while CfC was going on. They wanted me to give them $18K for a Soul+ manual transmission. I laughed and walked away. The salesman called me today, now that CfC is over, and offered the car for $17K. I told him to call when it was down to $15K or so. I expect the call in November.
  • They actually got good deals on there Souls, both are under suggested retail. Most Kia dealerships are doing between 1500 to 3000 above MSRP due to lack of inventory and high demand. Good luck getting a + model for 15K, you may be waiting a little bit longer than november for that phone call. You could however purchase yourself a xB and for 17K you will not get sat. radio bluetooth keyless entry power w/L or a 10 year 100,000 mile waranty. But hey at least you will get a good deal right?
  • "You people are crazy for paying over OVER sticker for a Kia Soul. In three months there will be rebates on them. It happens with almost every new model that has any appeal at all.

I went to a Kia dealer while CfC was going on. They wanted me to give them $18K for a Soul+ manual transmission. I laughed and walked away. The salesman called me today, now that CfC is over, and offered the car for $17K. I told him to call when it was down to $15K or so. I expect the call in November."

Supply and Demand - the most basic principle of economics!
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    A reporter is looking to see if you were looking to purchase a Toyota or Honda vehicle but after doing some comparison shopping, purchase a Hyundai or Kia because of price/value . Please send your daytime phone number to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, October 9, 2009.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• See, and it isn't even November yet.

Laura, you bought exactly the car I want. What color did you get?
  • Wow. At $15,707 you actually got the car for under invoice, assuming the $695 destination is included in the $15,707.

For that price I could fly to PA and drive it back to CO for less than what the local rip-off artist is quoting me. They are insisting that they can only offer $500 under MSRP, but then the destination and a $399 "dealer fee" get added back in.

No thanks.

When I am ready to buy, I will start emailing surrounding states and try to strike a balance between the distance I have to travel and the price. Colorado dealers are even worse than California, because it is so far to go to get competing markets. Dealers in Kansas City sell a lot of cars to Coloradans for this reason, especially Subarus. The new Legacy is going for $2000 over MSRP here.
  • I just stopped by a Kia dealership in San Jose, CA. They have mark up on both the cars that I was looking at, Soul and Forte. The mark up is about $2K on both vehicles for all trims except the base. The Soul that they put inside the showroom was over $20K on the dealer's sticker with the mark up. I know that final price is negotiable, so I wouldn't care much about the number on the sticker and I wasn't ready to buy yesterday anyway. The salesperson sounded nice enough even knowing I was there just to look. But come on, in my opinion, Kia is in no place to ask for mark up even their vehicles are now competitive among other Japanese manufacturers. Even if they are willing to negotiate down from the sticker, putting a mark up on a supposedly "value alternative" is deterring shoppers.

I also went to Scion. the dealer I went to told me that they do not negotiate. They said they have "no hassle pricing" LoL. But at least they are selling everything at MSRP and in fact they actually sold out all the xD and xB. They had no inventory to show me because of the result from CfC.

So comparing a dealer who had experienced high demand, sold out inventory and charging MSRP, the Kia dealer is really disappointing by putting a mark up.
  • Out the door cost was 14,490.86. Was prepared to pay about $900 more when they called me back to say car was "on sale" and could be had for this price.

Had a great experience with Karrie Hubbard (internet manager)and the whole team of Kearny Pearson Ford/Kia in San Diego. My husband and I actually took the train from LA, where they picked us and drove us to the dealership. Glad it all worked out as we had no other way home.

Transaction was almost completely done via email and phone and no hassles with dealer add-ons or any other sales pitches we weren't interested in. Boy am I glad Simi Valley wouldn't budge on insisting I get $400 anti-theft system. Almost paid about $1500 more for this very car. Also got the 0% financing. Best deal I've gotten since my 1995 Honda Civic with no power steering.

Drove the car home from San Diego and no complaints. Not the target demo for this car (almost 40 mom of three) but everything I was looking for. Needed a safe car for baby sitter to drive kids around town. Hadn't ever heard of this car before I saw one in the parking lot of Ikea on Sunday. So glad I discovered it and Kearny Pearson in SD.
  • csp558csp558 Posts: 1
    Hi, I am interested in a Soul Sport, Titanium, Auto, Loaded. Can you give me what options you had and the price before taxes etc.? Thanks JOHN
  • Can someone share how much they paid for Soul OTD around New York City.
  • I saw two of these this winter flipped over off the road. What is that all about?
  • people can't drive.
  • extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    I took a test drive in a Kia Plus automatic and it had heated leather seats. This option doesn't show up in the brochure and when I asked the salesman if this is an aftermarket add on, he said that's how they come from the factory. I called Kia and they told me no such options exist. The leather was black with white stitches and very well done, but the seat heater was useless. I liked the car for the relatively high seating position and the short length, with 161 inches it will fit into any garage and it will be easy to park. I probably wouldn't take it on a long trip but as a city car it's near perfect. It has four doors and a hatchback in a very short body, drives well, better than the Fit, and more relaxed than my VW GTI. I'm considering this instead of the Honda Element or CRV now.
    edited February 2010
    The limited-production "Special Edition 3" comes with the black leather and seat heaters. It's not available on other Souls.

Kia Soul Special Edition
  • extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    Thanks for the update. The Kia rep. at the toll free phone center wasn't aware of its existence. I really liked the interior, I hope they would make it available on the other models. Maybe by Christmas they'll have them.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,263
    The local kia dealer has $1750 added to the msrp plus $600 in paint sealant. He must have 15 Souls gathering dust on the lot. Pretty funny.
  • soplushsoplush Posts: 29
    Due to layoff, my credit history has taken some blows of late. I need an inexpensive reliable car, and the Soul looks like it meets my needs. I could put 2000-3000 down on a car w/o "pain". How accomodating are Kia dealers for people with poor credit? Does having cash to put down help improve my chances of getting financed or not?

I've explored buying something outright that's "had the wheels run off of it", but everything I've seen is pretty scary, and I don't want to buy $2000 worth of unreliability.

Appreciate any feedback you guys have. Thanks.
    I think that depends on the dealer, but here in Macon, Georgia, the Kia dealer has been actively recruiting buyers with poor credit. Of course, these buyers probably wind up paying MSRP+, not to mention high interest rates and exorbitant charges for a "protection package."
  • bkl1bkl1 Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    Hi
    Hubby and I bought a new Soul + last week at Kia Mall of Georgia near Atlanta. It came with the Audio upgrade package, the rear bumper applique, the floor mats, cargo tray and wheel locks. I talked to every dealer in the Athens/Atlanta area and even test drove a few and none would budge on the sticker price. Couldn't get any other dealer to come down below 17,800 for the bare bones + model even when we went in to test drive. The Mall of Georgia dealership came down over the phone, their sticker price was $17,655 and we paid $15,900 including tax and all fees for our new Kia. It was the only no hassle dealer we found. In fact it took us less time to buy our Soul and drive home, then to test drive and listen to the sales pitches at other Kia dealers. Absolutely love our Soul, still can't believe the great gas mileage and the blue tooth and audio controls on the steering wheel are awesome! It took us a while to contact each dealership and try and work out a deal, but we got one in our price range and are very happy with our Soul.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,263
    Nicely done!
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    If you bought a Kia in the past year, a reporter wants to hear about your decision and your experience to date. Please email pr@edmunds.com with your contact info before Saturday, March 27, 2010.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• coliphagecoliphage Posts: 8
    Got a quote from dealer:
    Soul + with audio upgrade, cargo cover, cargo net, cargo liner, floor mats.
    $15,950 OTD, including all but titling and registration, which cost about $40.

Tax rate is 7.65% here and we qualify the $1,000 competitor rebate.
  • aaasupr1aaasupr1 Posts: 3
    We ended up buying a Toyota Venza, but we did consider this vehicle. We walked away from a deal with the highest loaded Soul on the lot for a pre hard stance negotiation price of 2ooo usd below invoice, or in this area, Tampa, 16500. Loved its zippy engine and look, ride did just not satisfy. Great warranty.
  • cars1977cars1977 Posts: 2
    On 6/28, bought a Shadow Soul Base model for $13441 minus a trade-in that Edmunds says is worth $928. Didn't qualify for competitor rebate, did qualify for grad rebate ($400)which brings me down to $12,041+$200 doc fee(this includes destination fee). This does not include tax, or registration. Drove the car home on this date, but then the dealer called me telling me the rebate changed and I could also have the grad rebate AND 0% APR. I was happy with this. I could not think of a reason the dealer would call me back except customer satisfaction. I guess I'm too cynical now. Courtesy Kia in Attleboro, MA was my dealer-Love my car!