Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Why so many Five Hundreds on the lots for so long?

WBDWBD Member Posts: 2
I have been searching for a used Five Hundred (or Mercury Montego). While getting reports on specific VINs, I noticed quite a few of these being listed as entering dealer inventory/being put up for sale months ago (ie: 07/2008). Most of these are are 'corporate' or lease vehicles, if that plays into it... I can't understand why these cars have been sitting for so long, especially since I'm looking for Ford/mercury Certified Pre-owned (when I'd hope rules out most real lemons). Just curious if anyone knows something I don't! I don't want to get a low-mileage bargain that isn't...

Comments

• donl1donl1 Member Posts: 112
    As a previous owner of a 05' Five Hundred I know why they are just sitting there. I had mine less than a year and dumped it. A disappointing car in too many ways.
  • WBDWBD Member Posts: 2
    "As a previous owner of a 05' Five Hundred I know why they are just sitting there. I had mine less than a year and dumped it. A disappointing car in too many ways. "

Really? What kinds of issues did you have?
  • scottlscottl Member Posts: 109
    The Five Hundred/Montego have absolutely NO recognition among the buying public. Most were fleet cars. I bought a 2006 Five Hundred recently, and when I tell people that I bought a Ford Five Hundred, 90% have no idea what it is.

No recognition means no resale. Do not buy one of these cars if you plan on trading it someday, unless you want a total financial bath.

Buying from the dealer pretty much insures you will pay too much for one of these cars. Dealers are taking in lease returns and trying to get as close to the lease residual as they can. You are much better off finding a desperate private party owner.

I bought a 2006 AWD Five Hundred SE with 94K miles at an auction for $5300. Let's say you can find one with 45K miles. I wouldn't pay more than $8000 for it. Within three years the car will be worth almost nothing.

I love the car, but it is not a wise investment unless you get one really cheap.
  • coloradobjcoloradobj Member Posts: 7
    ... on all points... buyer recognition I truly believe is the biggest reason they're sitting...

... buy only if you can get one cheap...

... having said that... I've got an 05 LTD that I bought new (thankfully I tend to hang on to my vehicles until I drive the wheels off of them)..

In an earlier post ("From the dealer"), I talked about how I thought about trading mine in when (and because) there were so many rebates to be had... after much consideration, I figured out, I want just what I've got... (I've dressed my car up quite a bit with a billet grill, spoiler (that alone gives the car a very different look... it no longer looks like a "plain sedan"), tinted windows, chrome 20" wheels, it's a stunning looking car...) Given it's an LTD, it has all the bells and whistles, heated seats, sun roof and the like (I added a GPS and Blue Tooth)

The dealer here in my relatively small town (they're pretty honest here at the dealership), recommended that I just keep my Five Hundred... he said these engines have been tested to last 200,000 to 250,000 miles and the transmission I've got (CVT) shouldn't give me any problems...

I put $150 into having the car detailed and brought up to "show room" new and I couldn't be happier... it gets decent gas mileage (22 in town and close to 40 on the highway), it's got great pick-up, it's a smooth ride...

I actually bought the extended warranty in '05 since it was the first model year but have not had to use it at all...

My understanding, the story is that Ford dropped the ball miserably in their marketing of the Five Hundred, it was their intent to make this their "flag ship"... They brought in a new CEO and he made the decision, rather than put money into marketing a new name, they brought back the Taurus name and essentially put that name on the Five Hundred...

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Five Hundred if it were me...

BTW, I even took the Ford emblem off the trunk and put a "maltase cross" over the holes - it looks great (I'm a retired fire fighter, thus the maltase cross)... no one even knows it's a "Ford", much less what a "Five Hundred" is, and I'm happy with that...

My two (or three) cents...
  • ljtaylorljtaylor Member Posts: 1
    I too have a Ford Five Hundred it is an 2005 and I love it. I have the Limited, it is the Birch color which is Silver. I have had no trouble with it, just normal up keep and maintenance. I added some extra's as well I put in the window deflectors and the sunroof deflector and it is a sharp looking car. People ask me all the time what kind of car is that and when I tell them they have never heard of it. I do sometimes thnk I want to trade it in, but I am holding out for the 2011 Ford Taurus SHO. when the time is right I will go down to my dealer that I buy all my Ford's from and get one. I may pass this car to my son he will be driving in 2 years. It is paid for and I really don't want a car payment right now.
    Lori
  • jeff910jeff910 Member Posts: 1
    Ok, I thought I read on here what the problem is with the 500 surging. My 07 500 surges when your stop, go from forward to reverse. I would like to know if there's a re-call or something that I can tell my Ford Dealer on how to fix the are. Any help would be great.
  • jhr14gvrjhr14gvr Member Posts: 1
    Today i had a similar surging sensation with my 05 Limited along with the "check engine' warning light. Can't get service for few days and also wondering if this is bigger problem and more widespread?? Also had a message " engine in safemode" which i cannot find a reference to in car manual??? Any help out there on this ??
  • raymond21raymond21 Member Posts: 1
    You probably have found a car by now but, I just want to say I also was looking for a "low' mileage montego. Could not find one in chicagoland so I purchased a bank owned Premier which was driven by the VP. Ive had it just over a year and it now has 109,0000 miles on it. The car is flawless. The AWD combined with the cvt is a match for 20mpg town 29highway. What car this size delivers this mileage? To summarize do not always look at hi mileage as a must. Find out who owned the car and how it was maintained. Being owned by the bank, maintanance expense was was not a issue. People can not believe after riding in this car with 109,000 miles that it is so quiet with no rattles etc. I would not pay what this premium cost new in 06 due to being close to getting a lincoln but, I would definetly recommend a used one... :)
  • gailtylergailtyler Member Posts: 2
    go to this website autorecalls.us and it will tell u all about any car under recall when, why, etc. 2006 Ford Five Hundred FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE Recall
    View the full details of this 2006 Five Hundred FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE recall with the potential number of units affected, summary, consequence, and remedy. An official recall requires Ford to release an official notice to owners found to be defective. Being informed could you save time, money, and unnecessary stress.
    2006 Ford Five Hundred Recall Details
    1. NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 06E056000
    Recall Date:
    2006-06-13

Summary:
    CERTAIN AFTERMARKET FUEL FILTERS SOLD UNDER THE PUROLATOR BRAND NAME, P/N F65277, SHIPPED FROM JANUARY 16 THROUGH JUNE 2, 2006, FOR USE ON THE ABOVE LISTED PASSENGER VEHICLES. DUE TO INCORRECT DESIGN, THE QUICK CONNECTORS MAY NOT FULLY SEAT WITH THE TUBE INTERFACE, EVEN THOUGH THE PERSON MAKING THE CONNECTION MAY BELIEVE THAT THE QUICK CONNECTOR IS FULLY ATTACHED.

Consequences:
    FAILURE OF THIS CONNECTION COULD LEAD TO FUEL SPILLAGE AND, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, A FIRE COULD OCCUR.

Remedy:
    UFI WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND REPLACE THE FILTERS FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 4, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT UFI FILTERS USA AT 800-230-5876.

Component Affected:
    FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE

Potential Cars Affected:

Notes:
    UFI FILTERS USA

Other 2006 Ford Five Hundred Recalls
  • jwhandymanjwhandyman Member Posts: 1
    I bought one of the first Five Hundreds sold back in 2005. 187,000 miles later, still going strong and rides beautifully. Mostly highway miles, nothing more than routine maintenance. I think the point about lack of recognition is absolutely right - this is one of the least-appreciated cars Ford ever produced but one of the best overall. My Limited AWD CVT is one comfortable, roomy, fuel efficient ride.
  • coloradobjcoloradobj Member Posts: 7
    I too agree with Scott... I've only got 70,000 miles on my 05 AWD Limited with the CVT and but for a light bulb or two, routine maintenance has taken care of everything.. it's been one of the best cars I've ever owned... I have to admit I've been looking at the new Taurus... they have gone "high end" on those things... I'm comparing it to Lexus and I dare say, I think I'd go for the Taurus (the prices are within $2000 - $3000 of each other...)