Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conversion Van Pricing

My wife Beth and I are the third owners of a Ford
E-150 Mark III conversion van. We're seriously
considering buying a new Starcaft E-150
conversion.

Does anyone know of any dealer cost references
that would allow us to deal wisely?

Thanks, Frank

Comments

• I too am looking for something similar for references without much luck. I found a starcraft E150 locally for $44,000 which seemed very expensive compared to the Chevy Explorer for $37,000. I talked to Starcraft today direct. They acted very surprised at the $44,000 number and seemed to feel that $36,000 to $37,000 for the well equipped (pop top, leather, TV, power, etc) was a valid expectation of what to pay.
  • Do any of the conversion companies, especially Starcraft or Explorer permit "factory direct" sales? I noticed a link on the Starcraft web page (www.starcraftcorp.com) for factory closeouts, however, I've left several messages on their voice mail with no response received to date. Does anyone know the http for Explorer?

I've driven the GMC Starcraft GT Classic and GMC Explorer Limited SE. Both impressive vehicles..almost enough to make this Ford man consider a change over for van #5!
  • I'm considering purchaseing a used full size conversion van. Somewhere around a 90 to a 92. I've looked at a G-20 chevy with 45000 miles with all the goodies. Whats a good price to buy this baby at. I'ts a 91
  • jmbljmbl Posts: 5
    Hi: We're starting to look for a conversion van
    as well, but we're in the market for a used one,
    around the years 93-95. We want something that'll
    be great for camping and long hauls. We're in the
    military and love to travel.

Any advise on what to get/stay clear of for those
    years, what dealerships/areas to avoid (i.e. avoid
    Staten Island--we're in Brooklyn), better deals for
    the money, etc. We'd prefer a high top, bed in
    back and TV/VCR for sure.

If anyone's in the general area selling his/her
    van, we'd love to hear from you too with the details
    of what you have for sale.

Thanks for any and all tips!

JMBL

P.S. Sorry if this is a repeat from what others have already asked...
  • jmbljmbl Posts: 5
    To mmagill:

Do you have any other conversion van company URLs? It was very interesting visiting Starcraft. I'm going to attempt to go see something with MarkIII and Mark IV, Gladiator, Boxter--not sure what I'll find or if I'll get anywhere, but that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help.

JMBL
  • We've been looking a Ford's E-150 standard and hi-top products. Several friends have cautioned us on the poor mileage of the hittops compared to the standard models. The mileage guide only indicates a 1 mpg difference with the same engines. This seems a bit on the low side, anyone with any real life info would be appreciated
  • Is there any info out on conversion vans similar to the Edmund's books on cars and vans. I'd be interested in knowing the dealer costs on these vans. Also, can you get any deals if you go to Elkhart, IN and buy from the factories?
  • I am also stumped looking for dealer costs on conversion vans, particularly FORD or Chevy MARK IIIs. Any info would be appreciated.

jffiii@worldnet.att.net
  • I'm looking to buy a new Chevy Express full size
    van and I'm having a hard time finding information
    on conversion prices. All I need is second row
    bucket seats, conversion bed and bay windows. Does
    anybody know how can I get information on the price of this kind of conversion?
  • jgh78jgh78 Posts: 1
    Hello,

Chrylser dealer in Paramus, NJ, route 4 West,
    has several 1997 conv. vans starting at $19,995.
    These are brand new vehicles, zero miles.

Is this a great price?
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 1
    We've owned 3 conversion Vans, all built on Ford Chassis. Started with a van built in Northern NJ, then a Sherrod and now a Cobra Limited. The latest has the big 8 Ford engine.

I have noticed a number of requests for pricing info ala Edmund's. I subscribe to the NADA Dealer's yellow book for conversion VAns. It is procey @ $189 per year but, well worth it if you are considering plunking down serious green for a VAn.

Ironically, our latest Van isn't listed since it is a custom job.

It is for sale, by the way, 1996 less than 30,000 miles, Forest Green Metallic with Gold pin striping, Tan LEather interior, Hi Top, all the options and in tip top shape. Listed at $47,000, I'll sell for $25,000
  • I maybe interested in your van, I'm in upstate NY outside of Albany. I'm looking for a van that I can put a wheelchair lift in.
  • jschaeferjschaefer Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a 98 Chevy G1500 chassis with a Regency "Limited" conversion package. I'm trying to price and cost the two components - chassis and conversion - but I'm experiencing difficulty finding this info. Edmunds shows the price/cost on a base Chevy van but doesn't provide information on the YF7 conversion options which is how the vehicle is delivered to a conversion company (stripped down, plain-jane, no-seats, no-windows van w/ YF7). Any advice? Also, does anyone have info on Regency's "Limited" conversion package?
  • RWJOHNSONRWJOHNSON Posts: 5
    Does anyone out there have any information on 4 X 4 conversions for a new 1998 Ford Club Wagon? I'm looking for someone on the West Coast (Ideally in Southern Calif.).
  • hartkda1hartkda1 Posts: 1
    40. Does Edmund's plan to offer pricing for other types of transportation, like motorcycles, snowmobiles, bicycles or conversion vans?

No we do not. We have our hands full just covering cars and trucks.

Ok, who does cover conversion vans? Where are there some guidelines?

Do the dealers work on the old fashion two percent profit rule (what costs one cent to make is sold at two cents per cent of cost)? Or are they in the 10 – 20% margin as the van factory made passenger vans seem to be? With some of the sales I have seen, there appears to be a 50 to 100% markup on the conversion portion of the total cost.
  • markp57markp57 Posts: 1
    Continuation of #21 above:

Okay, I've done some more browsing and it sounds like one should never trade-in a conversion van. It should be sold personally.

I pulled out the original sticker to see exactly what optional equipment I purchased from Chevy and priced it here on Edmunds.

I still don't know how to calculate the value of the conversion package. The dealer had it priced at $12,200. Of course he came down from the sticker price, but I have no idea how much was coming off the Chevy portion versus the conversion portion.

Any help will be appreciated.
  • jboaterjboater Posts: 199
    markp57,
    #21 has been deleted or ?? I may be able to help but need info on what you want to sell and what you propose to buy. I'll watch for your next post.

Jerry
  • bicalinobicalino Posts: 13
    re: 4x4 van conversions. there is a place "Quigley " think it 's in manchester pa. from what I understand , they do these conversions. doesn 't void the factory warranty. they ship anywhere , and/or you could order through your own local ford dealer. they 've been in business for twenty or more years. I've seen that they also do these conversions for fed ex. and ups.
  • ViperggVipergg Posts: 24
    I'm not sure how you figure out the price on conversions . I just bought a dodge conversion
    van and the list was about $30000 , ended up payinhg a little over $18000 before trade . this was on a new leftover 97 but obviously there is ahuge markup on these things . You really can't beat the price on these things if yoyu need people haulinbg room and towing capabilty and don't mind dishing out a little extra to feed these things gas .
  • dedav113dedav113 Posts: 1
    I've looked at a couple conversion vans - Ford and Dodge - and wanted to double-check prices, but couldn't find anything on your website. One had 2 stickers - $30,000 and $23,000 - so I need info on options, etc. Any help will be appreciated.