Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conversion Van Pricing

Comments

• rickh3rickh3 Posts: 1
    We seem to be "in the same boat" as many conversion van owners! We are trying to decide on a fair price to sell/trade our van. We considered downsizing in 1995 when the van had 42,000 miles. The dealer said conversions are very hard to price and offered us $9,000 back then, however we felt that was low because of the conversion package and the fact that the van was clean and in excellent condition. So, we called Explorer and the man there said that if the van is in great condition with low mileage we should be able to sell it for apx. $15,000 with the Explorer conversion package. In the middle of negotiating with the dealer we were relocated to North Carolina... Now its 2001 and we are still very happy with our van, but ready to downsize once again. The van now has 105,000 miles and is still clean and in good condition. Always garage kept and shows gentle wear on the interior. The dealer is offering us $3,000 as a trade (Blue book is $3,080 without a conversion). What's it worth? The local papers don't have anything listed to compare our van with. Most have a lot more mileage or a conversion package that doesn't compare with Explorer.

Description: 3/4 ton GMC Vandura, 5.7 L, V8 engine. Transmission cooling lines for towing. Cruise, Power windows and locks, intermitten wipers, AC, AM/FM cassette, tilt wheel, etc. Explorer conversion package including: deep metalic blue paint with silver pin stripping, fiberglass running boards, ladder to luggage rack, spare tire with Explorer hardcover on rear door, deep blue/medium blue two-tone interior, wired for TV, 4 captains chairs that swivel, electric rear bench seat that folds to a queensize bed, interior wood is all maple, interior track lighting, overhead storage compartments, rear heat and AC, rear door table storage cabinet and tailgating bar, accordion blinds and curtains, vacuum, full width garment bar, built-in first-aid kit, pull-down tables, 2 stand tables, etc. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Also, we are considering a GMC Safari van to replace our current van. It would be a downsize without compromising roomyness and cargo space. Has anyone got insider info on the 2002 due out soon? The dealer has told us only exterior changes are expected. Thanks! Rick
  • We need to sell a great full size van. It has 75,000 miles is a 1997 Ford E150 Explorer conversion. Has lots of extras, rear radio and cd player, duel air, wired for a tv, four captain seats and a rear bench seat that lets down to a full sized bed. Eight cyl. 5.4 triton engine, duel airbags,excellent condition, one owner well mantained with all records. What's it worth to you?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,980
    Good question....

Until someone here pipes up, you can look up the True Market Value for the van itself and then try to guess on the extras. If you are looking for a place to advertise it, try looking at Edmunds.com's Used Vehicle PowerShopper at http://applications.edmunds.com/products/ups/.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I would like to sell my 1999 Conversion Van. It has a Geneva conversion package in mint condition with 18,000 miles on it. I would like to know if anyone has any information on where to get fair market pricing on these conversions or am I at the mercy of a dealership salesman. AGGGHHHH!!!
  • If the price of a new van drops 30 to 40% in the 1st year, why are people buying "new" instead of clean "used" vans? How do these vans do in the snow? Are locking differentials an important
    option? If so why didn't any of the 6 new vans I saw have it? A leftover 2001 Chevy with a top of the line Explorer conversion listed at $49,000 dropped to $38,000 before we even started to negotiate. Are there so few buyers?
  • Hello . . .

I am looking at an Eclipse Conversion Van . . . hi-top, TV/VCP, leather, power sofabed, etc. Chassis is a Ford E-150 with the 5.4L Triton V-8. Dealer wants $33,700 + processing + taxes & tags.

First, how good is the quality of Eclipse? Second, is the asking price a good deal?

Thanks all.
  • NADA does have pricing for Conversion Vans on their site www.NADAguides.com
  • jboaterjboater Posts: 199
    Re: post 337

I've been driving a my2000 E-150 "Lunar" Eclipse low top for the past year.
    Previously drove a 97 E-150 Coachmen.
    I've been quite satisfied with the Eclipse package. Early on, I had an issue or two and Debbie at the customer service desk at Eclipse was very helpful. Being a manufacturer though, I'm not too sure they are equipped to handle very many calls from end users.
    The weakest link (no pun intended) has been Ford Motor Company and the selling dealer service department.
    I found FoMoCo Customer Relations anything but. They are unresponsive and simply don't get things right.
    The selling dealer service department, when I complained of "steering wander", responded with the infamous "no problem found". An improvement, but not totally corrected, came about from a post here at Edmunds. Check the tire pressure and keep them at maximum psi. In my case the max recommended psi is 41. They were at 37-38. Strange as it may seem, 3 psi will be noticable.
    Pardon my rambling.
    The number of conversion companies has declined dramatically. I think Eclipse makes a pretty good conversion that you likely will be satisfied with.

If your like me, this post may not be too late. However, if you bought the Eclipse, I think you'll be okay.
  • fmgarciafmgarcia Posts: 11
    Thanks for the input, Jerry.

I actually wound up buying an Explorer Conversion with the Limited SE package. As of now, my family and I have only taken it for one long trip, and so far, we are very satisfied with it. I have seen many posts from people who are happy with their Explorers, and I just hope that we will be in for long-term satisfaction with our van.

Thanks again.

Francisco
  • muddlermuddler Posts: 1
    I am in market for a conversion van. I can find a ton of information on chassi prices, but virtually nothing on conversion package costs. I am sure there is dealer mark-up in those little stickers in the window, but I have no idea how much. Anyone got any advice?
  • dayarbdayarb Posts: 8
    We need to sell our 2000 Dodge 1500 conversion van. It's in great condition with 36,200 miles. It's a V-6 with raised roof, vcp and TV, rear air, running boards, (Starcraft Imperial conversion). The car dealership offered 10,000 to start off, but that seems way too low to me --- even though that is wholesale. They also said that amount was just based on the van, that they didn't give anything for the conversion. Any estimates on what we could sell this for ourselves? Thanks!!!
  • emandlizemandliz Posts: 1
    Hi I'm new to the conversion vans (have been a minimomvanner for a long while) and am looking at a 1999 ford E-150 with a choo-choo conversion pkg. with leather, quad seats, manual fold out bed, mini cooler between driver & pass, very well kept, 47,500 mi. Air is very cold, tv/vcp, 2radio/cass, video game hookups, mood lights. The dealer has made a big deal out of the choo-choo brand, but I don't see it mentioned much in these postings. They want 15,999 - seems on the high side but I can't figure out how to price it AARRGH!! NADA doesn't list choo-choo conversions for that year. Any Help?? thanks, sharon
    Was nice, but they went out of business - like most of the conversion companies.

Try asking in Real-World Trade-In Values what they think it's worth. I bet they say your dealer is high :-)

Steve, Host

• billmahanbillmahan Posts: 68
    and I'm sorry about that. But can anyone tell me how much the conversion portion of the price is inflated beyond true dealer cost? I can find what a GMC Savana package costs and figure out a fair price, but let's say Explorer out of Warsaw Indiana adds "so-called" $20,000 worth of conversion? How do I calculate that amount. You see some ridiculous prices at some dealerships. Like $60,000 MSRP but they will "give you" a $20,000 discount. Even then I still don't know what the true dealer cost is. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
  • jc1973jc1973 Posts: 63
    the explorer package bites i have it on my 90 ford van very cheap quality
  • djkcmkdjkcmk Posts: 2
    Currently own 94 Econoline conversion van with 124,000 miles on it. Had a horrendous cross country trip with it last summer but kept fixing it. Now that financing rates are at 0% or cash back of $3000 should I trade it in or just keep my fingers crossed that nothing else major goes on the current van?
  • nwraaanwraaa Posts: 161
    Buy a new one. You can get a 2002 or 2003 from $27,995.00 to $32,000.00 converted by Explorer, Regency, Cobra, Sherrod, or Tuscany.
  • I do see a few postings re: used prices (always a good starting place even for new vehicles) and a 'side-note' about NADA not having much...

Here's what I know:
    ALL of the conversion van mfrs are privately held - no info/profit margins etc. is avail anywhere...

'They' have collectively (gee price fixing anyone?) refused to allow NADA (likely the cause of other's Kelly etc. not posting as well) to post new and or used conversion prices! How can they do that? Some sort of trademark infringment lawsuit threat?

The conversion mfrs (I've asked a bunch) refuse to talk to consumers and provide full package/spec sheets and AT LEAST list/msrp pricing for their own stuff. Even makes comparing two of their own conversions impossible.

Conversions are not tracked (VIN etc.) resulting in never being able to even search for a vehicle on many dealer websites - the VIN is 'incomplete chassis'

Bottom line - You are at the mercy of the dealer. Period. They are making a TON and some I've found are so arrogant they've even refused to discuss what they have - one even lied to me about models they had (they didn't) just to get me to drive in (100+ miles for nothing).

Seems this 'cottage-industry' is about as corrupt as the mattress folx who take the same item, put 10 model#'s on it so they can advertise - 'Find a lower price on an identical item...'

Who's running this scam?
    Hey, Ralph Nader... I've got a crusade for you!
    Anyone buying a conversion van for summer camping?

Steve, Host

• nwraaanwraaa Posts: 161
    Steve,
    I seems that the new hi-top conversion vans are not selling as quickly as they were a year ago. The vans have become quite pricey. The dealers are asking $50,000.00 plus for the Chevy and GMCs with the passenger doors on both sides. The dealers are asking more for these than they are asking for the new Hummer 2, Cadillac Escalades, and Navigators. The $2.00 + per gallon gas is not helping the situation.
    50K? That's a bit steep. You can get a lot of RV for 50k.

Steve, Host

Anyone trade in or buy a conversion lately? Say a '95-ish model?

Steve, Host

• bpursellbpursell Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a response on conversion package cost. I have a 1995 dodge SV 150 Pasenger van with a conversion package that I'm trying to sell. I just don't know how much more I can expect to get for the conversion.
  • wandawanda Posts: 1
    What are you asking for it?
  • Can someone please tell me what my van is worth?
    This is for my 1998 Ford E150 w/ a Mark III SE Conversion package.
    5.4L V-8, 54,000 miles; Engine runs great.
    Exterior: Hi-Top in Toreador Red color in excellent condition w/ matching running boards.
    Interior: TV, VCR, CD with MP3 player, Wood trim, mood lighting, Power Steering, Driver and Passenger Side Air Bags, Power Windows Locks and Brakes, Cruise Control, Air Conditioning. All excellent condition.

I'm trying to sell it on my own.
  • John,

Go to http://www.nadaguides.com this is the only web site that provides conversion van pricing.

Once on the site, go to used car pricing, they will be a link for conversion vans. Once you take the link for conversions, you can got to the link for "M" for the manufacturer, and obtain pricing for the Mark III SE Conversion Package.

Occasionally you will need to obtain separate pricing for the chassis, the actual Ford van used as the platform for the conversion. This can be obtained by returning to the used car pricing area, choosing vans and following the links.

Hope this helps,
    John
  • Hello all,
    I really could use some advice. I'm looking at purchasing a '95 Mark III conversion van. It's loaded with options:

5.7L V8
    power windows
    power door locks
    power side view mirrors
    TV
    Radio/TV headphone jacks
    cloth interior (no cuts, burns anywhere)
    carpet looks brand new
    4 captain's chairs
    power rear seat (converts to bed)
    limo-style light kit above rear captain chairs
    built in vacuum (in rear door)
    built in first aid kit
    built in rechargable flashlight
    front/rear air conditioning
    running boards
    pleated shades on all windows (all perfect cond.)
    screens on side windows
    1 ton tow package
    air leveling rear end for towing (via two air inlets)

I'm sure there's more, but can't remember it all. The vehicle has 114,000 miles, looks mint inside and out. New brakes, new exhaust. Engine runs strong, no hesitation. Stops hard and straight.

Seller is asking $4,800. I think it's a good deal, but wanted an opinion from someone with experience on these vehicles.

Thanks in advance!!!! Really appreciated.

splashchris
  • To anyone with an answer,
     I may have overlooked the reply, but I have the same question as many of the other posts, yet fail to have seen an answer. Is a general percent markup within the industry known or does someone have a resource to identify specific package invoices and option pricing. I am researching a 2005 GMC Savana with a Sherrod EVO SE package. I have no intent to blow 60k on a cargo van with some paint splash on it and a dvd in it! Assistance from anyone please. Thank you. Joe
  • One additional question,
     I have spoken with Sherrod directly and they tell me the cost from them directly is basically the van I want at $500 over dealer cost plus the price of the package and options. As an informed consumer, I know cars can be bought for less than "Invoice" with dealer rebates, hold backs and the like. Does anyone know if since the upfitter is independent of the actual dealer, can the converters basic van invoice price be negoiacted?
    Everything is negotiable; in this case Sherrod should be getting fleet rates for the vans (or get them for nothing with the bailment arrangement they talk about). Are the factory direct prices the same as the local dealer? Assuming there is a local dealer....

I have no idea of the markup on conversion vans, but the depreciation seems even worse than normal cars. Limited pool of used buyers I guess. Nice looking conversions though.

Try asking over in Any Questions for a Car Dealer?.

Steve, Host