Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conversion Van Pricing

Comments

• jboaterjboater Posts: 199
    sanginij,

Not mention or reference to Benchmark is made in the NADA book.

Jerry
  • Jerry,

Thanks for checking on the Benchmark for me. By the way, do you have a preference when it comes to GM or Ford vans? Also, do you have any recommendations on conversion packages I should stay away from or those that I should seriously consider? Again, thanks in advance for your help.

sanginij
  • Jerry,

I've come across a '96 GMC Savana Explorer (Level 4) conversion van. It has 57,xxx miles, cloth interior, and the 5.7 V-8. The dealer is asking $21,900. They said they could come down a couple of hundred...yea, just a couple! Any ideas on a good price? Thanks for your help.

sanginij
  • Jerry,

Correction: It is an Explorer Limited, Level 3, not a Level 4. (I was told it was level 4, but then they said it was a level 3 with all the options of a level 4 except for leather and a compass.) Thanks for your help.

sanginij
    sanginij,
    NADA has no info on Explorer. NADA book on the '96 cargo with cd, rear air, and anti theft is whsle. 12,400. retail 14,800. less 450. mileage adjustment.
    I don't know if LA West is a fair comparison but, their '96 Elite Sport roof (2nd most expensive) had an msrp of 11,244. used whsle is 4430. retail 5910. and their Enterprise Sport roof (3rd most expensive) msrp 8494. used whsle. 3010. retail 4030.

I quoted the cargo values because it more closely represents the vehicle the converter uses although the values are for a fully oem manufactured van. As such the combined values here might well still be on the high side.

Jerry
  • Jboater,
    Thanks for the information on the explorer van. When buying a conversion van, would you recommend offering a price somewhere near whsle? What if I'm not trading another vehicle in?
    sanginij
    sanginij,
    The seller's asking price and your opening offer establishes the negotiating range. If the seller accepts your opening offer, you may have offered to pay more than was necessary or you found a seller who was under pressure to sell. Book values are a tool to help buyers and sellers determine approximate values. When buying a used vehicle, it will also be helpful to further research your market area in newspaper classifieds and auto swapper magazines. The more information you have, the less likely you'll suffer buyer's remorse.
    The trade-in, should be viewed as a separate transaction from the proposed purchase vehicle. This will eliminate manipulation of the price of a purchase vehicle and eliminate your focusing on "how much one dealer vs another dealer is giving you on the trade". You should know what a fair wholesale or trade-in value is for the particular vehicle you are trading in. Each component in a transaction should be viewed independently and always assume that each component is negotiable. That includes the cost of extended warranties, interest rates on dealer arranged financing, document preparation, vehicle preparation, etc. If you don't like the offered price but want the product, offer to pay an amount you feel comfortable with. An extended warranty at 50% to 75% of the offered price might be quite attractive.
    As a buyer you want to pay the least amount possible and as a seller (trade-in) you want to receive the highest amount possible. Given your research efforts, it appears to me that you will do well in the acquisition of your next vehicle.

Jerry
  • I am in need of wholesale and retail pricing of my 1995 Ford E-150 Conversion Van. It is a Mark III conversion and has a 5.8L. I have tried looking at the various web sites with no success. This is the only plac I have seen where this info is discussed. Can someone help? jboater, are you out there?
  • Jerry,

Thank you for the informative buying/selling tips--I plan to put them to good use in the not too distant future! This site is a real must for anyone interested in purchasing a new or used conversion van--or any vehicle for that matter.

sanginij
    sanginij,
    YOUR WELCOME!

Jerry
    eyoleven,
    NADA book on the conversion, whsle 1550. retail 2080.
    '95 Cargo van whsle 9700. retail 11900. Average mileage range is 60 - 65k miles

Jerry
  • I applaud your efforts along with sanginij!! I have enjoyed reading your posts and appreciate looking up those values for me.
    eyoleven,
    our welcome!

Jerry
  • this was just the info I needed - thank you.
    Fauxpa,

Your welcome!

Jerry
  • I was negotiating an E-150 4.2L V6 conversion van at the end of October. Edmunds listed rebates of $2000 and incentive of $1000 and I bargained accordingly (without good info on the true conversion price from Elk). When the deal finally closed in November, I realized that Ford's rebate had been increased to $2500 on that van. Even on this day, the incentive and rebate page is 2 weeks behind schedule. In the process of negotiation, I even offered $150 over my original, without knowledge of the rebate increase. Buyers out there look out!
  • Hi everyone,

Last year we purchased a used 96 Dodge 2500 High-Top Mark III LX conversion van, with leather interior. It currently has 59,500 miles on it. When we purchased it as a third vehicle we had no idea how much we would be using it. I am now considering trading it in along with one of our other cars for a New (99) conversion van. My first question is "Does anyone have any idea how much my 96 should be worth on a trade?" And second, does anyone have an idea of dealer cost for a 1999 Dodge 1500 Elk Limited conversion van with leather interior. So I have a idea as to where to start the negotiations with the dealer?

any information would be greatly appreciated.
  • Jerry,

The info is greatly appreciated. One question, On the Elk pricing, is the used/wholesale price the Dealer cost? Or is that the retail number?

Thanks again
  • Jerry,

The info is greatly appreciated. One question, On the Elk pricing, is the used/wholesale price the Dealer cost? Or is that the retail number?

Thanks again
    hockeydad8,

NADA doesn't have dealer cost for new units.
    I've provided used wholesale (trade-in) and used retail to help in your decision as to the amount you might wish to pay.

Jerry
  • I presently own a 1995 Dodge B2500 Hi top mark III Conversion van. I do not know if there is a name for my particular conversion model. I am trying to get an idea of its trade in value. It has the SLT package with 5.8 liter, od trans., dual air, Premium sound,rear heat, I also added a leaf to the rear springs to bring the back up level with the front.it has 53,500 miles on it and is in good shape. New Michelins put on about 15,000 miles ago. if anybody has any idea about how I can figure out a fair trade in price please let me know. Thank you Todd
  • fadpfadp Posts: 3
    Dear Jerry,
    Please help me price out (wholesale/retail) my
    1996 Chev Express 1500 Gladiator(Designer Series)
    HiTop Conversion Van. The original MSRP for the
    conversion package in 09/96 was approx $25,000.
    The van has 52200 mi, w/a $0 ded ext warranty to
    09/2001 or 75000 mi. In add to the top-of-the-
    line conv package w/ all of the "bells and
    whistles", it has a 5.7/V-8 eng w/battery
    guard, and all other listed options on your price
    guide for this particular model. It has 4 new
    Firestone Affinity Tires @ 42000 mi (12/98).
    Both inside and outside are in excellent condition

Thank you for your time and consideration,
    Warren
    1307jeter,
    NADA values;
    Mark III original msrp 4619. used whsle 1550. used retail 2080.
    '95 Dodge whsle 8650. retail 10775. plus 700. for SLT and 400. low miles.
    Try comparing chassis value with Edmunds.

Jerry
  • Jerry,
    Thanks for getting back. I won't actually be attemping to sell my '98 Chev Gladiator until third quarter '00, so maybe something will be out there by then. Meanwhile, I will try and give Glavel a call.

Matt
  • Jerry,
    Thank you so much for the information about pricing my van. It gives me a good starting point.
    Thanks again, Todd
  • What's a fair trade-in value for the following
    conversion van:

1995 Chevy G20 Van, 5.7L, Upfitter package, front & rear heat & A/C, power windows/locks/seats, cruise control, tilt wheel, ABS, AM/FM cassette, TV, VCP, rally wheels, HD radiator & trans cooling, full-size spare, no leather

High-Top Conversion by Tiara Motorcoach

52,000 miles, excellent condition, no scratches,
    dings, or rust, minimal wear

Thanks.
    acabthomas,
    There are 15 models for the '95 Tiara. I'm unable to differentiate or identify yours without the model name.

Jerry
  • It's the Emerald model - hopefully that's what you need. It also says "model: CON TIARA".

Thanks!
  • I found a '95 Chevy G20, 5.7 V8,3.42 rear end,81,000 miles,clean. Conversion done by US Conversions/ Kenron( maybe Kentron?). All leather,TV and VCP, LCD tv screens on the back of all the capt. chairs. Fine high gloss wood trim.The '95 is old body style but looks good. Ever hear of this conversion company?
    glittle1,
    NADA lists U.S. Conversions by Kentron, Inc. Elkhart, IN
    Says "no longer in production". 1995 was last year produced.
    Models were Biscayne, Kingline, Legacy, Legend, Legend Designer, Park Ave., Phoenix, Phoenix Designer, Rockport, and Seville.

Jerry