Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What about VW TDI engine?

Comments

• rdeschenerdeschene Posts: 318
    Travis169. Hedge your bets, man. And no, I don't mean: "sell S&P500 puts at the current price"... well not necessarily.

Price out electric car heaters and get measurements so you can figure out where in the car you would put it. If worse comes to worse, this is what you would have to live with. I've driven in toques and mitts through several winters, just waiting for my gas-fired car to warm up. If you're in the contiguous-48 it shouldn't be any worse than that.
  • darenjpdxdarenjpdx Posts: 14
    The TDI heats up just as quickly as any car I've ever driven and provides tons of heat to the interior. Don't worry about it.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,001
    This is off-topic, but... The bull market will not last forever, and I only invest money I know I won't need for 5-10 years. The thing to keep in mind is that if you invest money for a new car and the market goes down, you will have to ride it out (leaving your money in) for at least another 1-2 years. It's also important to pick a good fund, most of them don't even beat an S&P index fund (a fund that requires zero brains to manage). For more info, check out www.fool.com

Paying cash is definitely the way to go.

For something on topic to add substance: Does anyone know if/when the TDI will be available with an automatic?
  • dae3dae3 Posts: 55
    I read a review that said the TDI doesn't have any power to pass at highway speeds and that passing on a two lane road would be dangerous. Is this just another case of the reviewer not knowing how to drive this car or is it a fair evaluation. If an owner could respond that would be a great help.
  • govugovu Posts: 62
    The owners will be able to give you a better testimony (of which I hope to be included -very- soon), but in my test drives I've had no problem with that. Sure, it's not a V-8 by any means, and it's certainly not going to be like driving a Corvette, but the engine had plenty of pep. The way I was driving it, my girlfriend thought that maybe I should buy a car with a little less under the hood.

The owners I've talked with have been very enthusiastic about the engine. It seems like the TDI owners LOVE their cars even more than those without TDI, if that's possible.
  • pinheadpinhead Posts: 33
    I have a 99 NB TDI and there is plenty of power. And if you want more, 115hp and 185 ft/lb is a chip away!

I love my TDI, but it honestly took about a week to learn how to drive it properly.

Hwy cruising is a blast, 70 mph is a lazy 2400rpm. Need to pass? Push your foot down and you'll be @ 85-90 before you know it. The most fun is passing the gas stations!
  • dupperdupper Posts: 6
    I own a 1996 Passat TDI wagon. GVW is about 3200lbs, the largest US auto VW makes with a TDI engine. In the 64K mile I have put on this car passing power, starting, heater performance and overall quality of this vehicle has NOT been a problem. Those among you out there in the baby Beetle , Jetta'a and Golf's who may be concerned re. the above, don't worry about it...enjoy the ride past the fuel pumps, just my .02
  • mjb56mjb56 Posts: 170
    Whoever wrote the review claiming that the TDI NB lacks sufficient passing power has no clue how to drive this vehicle. Just got mine out of winter storage and I forgot how much fun it really is. The only time I see power drop off is at 85-90 mph. Then it flattens out a little, but who in their right minds wants to drive like that. Trust me, power is not a problem with this car. Oh, and by the way, my last tankfull showed 44-45 mpg in mostly city driving.
  • ddeebleddeeble Posts: 2
    A couple questions for you TDI pwners out there! I am now in the process of picking my next car (I currently drive an '86 Mustang that gets in the teens for mileage and commute 120 miles to work each way) and the TDI engine in the New Beetle seems like a dream come true - 49MG!!! My wife and I crunched numbers this week and it looks as though the gas savings alone will cover the entire cost of the car! My questions are these - I have seen a couple of postings stating that the TDI s 50-state compiant, but when I go to http://edmunds.com/newcars/1999/volkswagen/newbeetle/glstdi.html there is a California Emissions option listed at $100. I may be buying the car out of state since TDI's appear to be in short supply in California and don't want to get dinged with the $300 polluter penalty the DMV levies. Has anybody done this before and what was your experience with the DMV? Second: As I stated before, TDI availability, as far as I have been able to tell, is atrocious in California (I live in Sacramento) - does anyone know a dealership anywhere in the U.S. which seems to have a decent supply of TDI New Beetles (or who the 5 largest VW dealerships in the U.S. are)? The only one I have been able to find so far in Sacramento was a black TDI with damage to the hood incurred during shipping (and they still wanted $2500 over MSRP!) I would greatly appreciate any help you may be able to provide!

Thanks you all!
  • dae3dae3 Posts: 55
    Does anyone know if the new Golf is available with the TDI. I haven't seen one. I know it was supposed to be an option.
  • lucien2lucien2 Posts: 2,984
    yup, it is available in both the GL and GLS. Have no idea about availability, though.
  • drkdrk Posts: 2
    TDI Turbo Longevity -
    I presently drive a 1996 Audi A4 Quattro (2.8 V6), and am planning a move back to VW, as much as I enjoy the performance of my A4.
    I've leased a 1995, then a 1997 Jetta, and pounded on them both relentlessly with no trouble. Now I want a diesel.
    Is anyone using Turbo Timers (made by HKS for Toyota Twin Turbo Supras, Toyota MR2 turbos and other similar vehicles) in their VW TDI motors to ensure that oil flow is not interrupted to hot turbo bearings after running the engine a bit, then shutting it down?
  • loungerlounger Posts: 32
    drk, I wouldn't worry about the longevity of the turbo. My father owns an 85 Audi 5000 turbo with nearly 200k miles. Modern turbos are designed to last the lifetime of the engine. If you have any worries, just use synthetic oil. If you are still curious about Turbo Timers, try asking in the rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled news group. There are quite a few diesel aficionados there.
  • JDMJDM Posts: 2
    I'm looking for information on the performance of the VW 1.9 TDI engine. I'm very interested in purchasing a Jetta diesel, but I live in Michigan and was told that diesels perform poorly in the Winter. The person I spoke with said that diesel fuels thickens up in the cold weather and causes poor or non-starting conditions. I'm also told that the #2 diesel fuel sold in the states is inferior to the grades sold in Europe and this also causes problems. I'mm looking to purchase within 2 weeks and now the wife is getting cold feet on the diesel. I would appreciate any help on this. Thanks. JDM
  • govugovu Posts: 62
    Take a look at the rest of the posts on this list. There are also some links to some other places. Every TDI owner I've met -loves- his or her car, it seems. All of the raving has gotten me over my doubts.

By the way, have you been able to find a TDI that you can get in two weeks? That seems to be the biggest problem with them. I've been on top of the NB waiting list since February, and my dealer hasn't gotten any TDIs in during that time.
  • JDMJDM Posts: 2
    govo

I've not actually seen a NB TDI in my area. Only Golfs and Jettas. I spoke with the dealer in Michigan and he said that TDI's are hard to come by. All dealers compete for vehicle allocations. No factory orders like domestic car companies. You just need to find a dealer in your proximity that has clout VW NA.

Has anyone who has owned a TDI had to use fuel additives, like Stanadyne products. Does VW recommend any or do they have their own?
  • odyceeodycee Posts: 33
    A friend at work just bought a Jetta TDI last week at Bob Lewis San Jose. He said there is plenty of TDI at this dealer. The dealer sold 30 cars on the same day he bought his car. This is a high volume dealership and you won't be ripped off as much. He bought his car for $19.6K + taxes+license, about $1200 over invoice.

I'd not buy car outside of state because when you register you'll have to pay penalty + taxes unless you lied that you just bought it used last week. I got away with it because my dad live in that state and I register it there and drove 7000 miles quickly in order for CA consider it a used car. You can do it but a bit more messy. Good luck.
  • zmanzman Posts: 200
    Hey, all of you New Beetle TDI owners. I just put down a deposit on a '99 NB TDI that my dealer says is coming in three weeks. My question is whether this engine is more or less environmentally friendly than its conventional gas-powered counterparts. I know it gets better gas mileage, but does this engine spew out pollutants at a higher rate? I've tried to find info on the internet, but I can't seem to find anything.
  • loungerlounger Posts: 32
    zman, check out Fred's TDI page. http://users.uniserve.com/~fred_v/tdi.htm
    It's loaded with info and links.
  • mghurlemghurle Posts: 9
    I've got a quote for a Golf GL TDI for $303 over invoice from a dealer in Georgia. Does anyone out there have any experience on the price factor? Is this as good of a deal as it sounds, or has anyone else gotten better? I live in St. Louis, and the dealers here won't come lower than $700 over invoice; I wonder about the rest of the U.S. (p.s. getting to another city to pickup the car is no problem, I work for an airline; so no extra cost in the trip!)
This discussion has been closed.