Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What about VW TDI engine?

Comments

• vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    New Beetles seem to have alot of electrical problems, from what I have heard. Maybe that's what Mopar meant.
  • I am researching buying a Jetta TDI in the next few months. I am on the westside of the greater Portland, OR area, and I am interested in anyone's experiences with dealers in Oregon/SW Washington. I am willing to go further away to purchase, but would like to have something closer for service.

From what I read on these forums, it's very important to find a good dealer w/ a good service reputation who really knows these cars.

Any input (thumbs up or down) on dealers/salespeople, and service would be much appreciated.

Also, heads-up on any other local resources (e.g., TDI mechanics, chip/parts sources, people w/ VAG-COM, etc.) would also be very appreciated!

I hope to buy in the next couple of months and become a more active member here!

Thx,

TC
  • Email me offline and I'll point you in the right direction.
  • nerak2nerak2 Posts: 2
    The EPA website ranks the TDI a 1 out of 10, 1 being the worst. I was planning on trading in my 98 Passat tomorrow for the Jetta TDI wagon but now concearned, does anyone have any information on emissions/gas milage, which is worse, higher emissions or better gas milage? http://epa.gov/greenvehicles/wgn-03.htm
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    TDI is recognized as a "Green" vehicle in Europe as it produces less CO2 than gasoline powered vehicles and consumes less fuel. Diesel is a renewable fuel as it can be manufactured from plant oils and animal fats.
    The negative aspects of diesel are NOx and particulates. Why? Diesel fuel in US has up to 500 ppm sulfur. US diesel is of the poorest quality in the world. You can thank the EPA for this as they regulate fuel quality. In 2006 diesel fuel will be required to have lower sulfur content.
    If you care about the environment the TDI is a good choice. It is a technology that works today.
    The EPA and CARB present a negative analysis of TDI and diesel that is based on political goals and fails to incorporate a balanced approach to conserving resources and reducing greenhouse gases.
  • If you really want to lower emissions, go with a biodiesel blend. Right now, Biodiesel is about 3 cents higher than conventional diesel (according to a truck driver in my church). Make the investment and run up to 20 to 50 percent in your tank. You will not be sorry. Biodiesel is what makes the TDI an environmental choice. I hear that B20 will be sold in much the same way that ethenol is sold now. Look around, you might be near a truck stop that already offers it.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Please be aware that our policy forbids promoting (or linking to) other auto websites that also provide message boards or chats.

For informational purposes, we do allow links to auto forums that do not provide message boards or chats. Okay?

If you have any questions regarding this policy, feel free to send me an email. You can also read what our Town Hall manager (Sylvia) has to say about this policy in our Ask the Town Hall Hosts discussion, (From Post #1383), and post your question/comments there.

And let's get back to the subject of this discussion. Thanks!

Revka
    Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • Starting in September 2003, VWs will come with the "NEW" diesel engine that replaces the TDI.
    It displaces 2.0 liters vs. 1.9 for TDI, and has 130 HP vs. 90 for TDI.
    Sales-woman that I bought my '98 Beetle TDI from said VW told them to clear out all TDIs because they'll be a bugger to sell with the new, better engine avail. for the same price.
    This engine is alread in the SHARAN minivan in Europe (with 6-speed and optional 4WD).
    PS: My '98 TDI just turned over 150,000 kms coming back from Seattle Monday and runs as good as new. Still over 50 Miles per Cdn. Gallon at 75-85 MPH on the freeway.
  • chmeeeechmeeee Posts: 327
    That engine is for the Passat only. The Jetta/Golf will continue with the 1.9, possibly getting the 100 hp model in the near future, but thats it.
  • I thought they were dropping the 1.9 litre alltogether.???
    It seems they're going to 500cc/cylinder across the board from 2-liter 4-bangers, to the 2.5 V-5 in Europe, the new 3-liter V6 (in Audi), the 4-liter W8 in Passat and V8-tdi in Audi, and the 5-liter V-10 in the Phaeton/Touareg.
    It makes sense from a parts manufacturing/spare-parts logistics point-of-view.
    Imagine only one piston, con-rod, etc. for over a dozen engines. "Platform design" maximized!
  • natescapenatescape Posts: 176
    The word over at that other TDI site is that it'll be the 100HP engine for 2004 Jetta (wagon), Beetle, and Golf, and the 134HP engine for the Passat.
    Not only is the 1.9L TDI not being eliminated for North America it will continue to be offered in Europe. The TDI for 2004 may have single unit injection or "pump deuse" as it is called by VW but do not expect the 2.0 TDI. The new engine has been speculated to have 100HP vs. the 90HP of the current TDI but actual HP of the current TDI is already 100HP when dyno'd.
    Please refer to my last Post ##393.

To those concerned: Feel free to email me if you have any question/comments regarding this matter. Please do not address this matter with me here. I do not set policy here, nor can I change it. However, as host, I am required to enforce it. Hope you understand.

And now, back to the subject of the VW TDI engine! Thanks! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    The 1.9L in pump deuse format 105hp and the new 2.0L TDI pump deuse 134hp are both being offered in the new Audi A3 which is built on the same platform as VW Mk5 that will show up in 2004/2005 timeframe.
    1.9L is not going away anytime soon.
    Thanks for your information. Also, regarding your previous question, I sent you an email which you may find helpful. Please email me if you have any questions. Happy posting!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • This is the response I received from VWoA when I enquired about the availability of the TDI in the Passat.

"It has recently been announced the Passat TDI will be produced. It is
    tentatively scheduled to become available mid to late 2004. No further
    information is available at this time. "

For me this is a good thing. I have had a Golf TDI for 3 years now, an loved it. It has been probably the most reliable car I have ever owned, even more the my Maxima SE. Now we have a third child, and my Golf is too small. I am hoping I can hold out on buying a larger car until the Passat arrives.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I would be interested in a Passat TDI as well, maybe. Probably will end up with a Passat once my Jetta's paid off in about 4 years or so.
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    Late 04/ early 05 should be about the time the next generation Passat will be coming out along with the next gen Golf and Jetta V. I purchased an 03 Jetta TDI wagon (automatic) about 2 weeks ago and love it. These current TDI's will still be desirable when the next generation diesels appear, they are great cars. I will have my eye on the next generation TDI Passat wagon when they appear.
  • So ... the 1.9 will be around, but it won't be the "old" TDI like in my beetle, it will be the new technology like in the Passat, correct?
    Which means my 1.9lTDI engine IS going away, but the new engines will be avail. in 1.9 and 2.0 liter versions.

What's the story on tuner-mods for the new 2.0tdi?
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    As popular as these engines are in Europe - I'd bet there are lots of mods available.
This discussion has been closed.