Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1963-1964 Cadillacs

167891012»

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,694
    Oh yeah, the diesels were something else. Just a major mistake for GM.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,663
    My folks had a '62 white one then a '64 blue with blue vinyl top...both sweet rides. The '60 4 door model they had was just a huge brute and had those fins that could be lethal weapons...lol! Throw in a '64 Lincoln, a '68 Eldorado & a '70 convertible, a great decade for cars in our family. Wish I had any of them today!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    The V-8-6-4 engine also had these weird tall valve covers that housed the solenoid that were supposed to enable the car to go from 8 to 6 to 4 cylinders. I recall these cars when they were new thinking they were technological marvels until I learned otherwise.

The alternate engine in 1981 was a gutless diesel based on the 350. The car was slower than molasses in January in the antarctic region of Pluto and sounded like a city bus.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,850
    As *ideas* none of these things were bad---in execution, they became Frankencads.

All GM had to do was buy a dozen Mercedes diesels, reverse engineer the engines, and figure out how to make them cheaper--which Americans are very good at. I mean, the stamped rocker arm was a brilliant invention, and does a Chevy V-8 rocker arm fail any sooner than a beautifully machined or cast one? Probably not.

Cadillac used to make a GOOD CAR---especially in the early 1960s.

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,162
    Heck, GM's Guide Division figured out how to make a pretty reliable .45 caliber submachine gun for $15 that was made out of stamped metal.

And, no doubt, few complaints about a defective product!

• I was clearing out a non-paying renter for my closest friend. When what do I see, under a tree, windows down, dog-gone-it, but a 1964 Sedan De Ville. White exterior, fintails, grill all good with original blake/yellow plates. Red interior, wish widows weren't all down. Not in terrible shape considering.
    that renter took my friend for thousands of dollars, broke her mother 87 year old heart before she died in 2009. Property taxes must be paid soon. This might just pay them.
    I am getting older, I like the styling ride of the sedan, but thats just some of us getting older I guess.
    Looking to find its worth!
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,710
    Hard to tell what it is worth without pics, but windows down doesn't bode well. Sounds like a classy old beast, but unless it somehow really isn't that bad, it sound like it might have passed on to parts car territory, so maybe not enough to pay those taxes, sorry.
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, I'm with fintail on this. Parts car pricing. You could buy one of these all pretty and shiny and running great for $15,000, and you know you can't get from where this poor car is to that $15K car for less than triple that amount.

So really, take what you can get---you could advertise on craigslist and ask for offers, and let buyers do your appraisal for you. I'd guess $500 to $1500, but really I'd have to see it. The condition of the fenders and chrome and dashboard bits would be very important. No one will ever want to restore it, so forget that.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,970
    Hard to tell what it is worth without pics, but windows down doesn't bode well.

I always hated seeing old cars in the junkyard with their windows rolled down. I always went over to the car and, if I could, roll the windows back up! Unfortunately, not so easy to do with a power window car. :(
  • lemmerlemmer Posts: 2,676
    Andre, you should run a "no kill" shelter for homeless old cars. And I mean that in a good way.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,970
    Oh, if I was filthy rich, I'd love nothing more than to buy up a bunch of climate controlled warehouse space, and use it to preserve old cars and parts.

And heck, maybe I could get a bunch of cats from the SPCA and use them to roam the premises and keep the mouse population down! And use SPCA dogs to patrol the outside, and keep prowlers and burglars away! And hire homeless people to help watch the place, feed the dogs and cats, etc.

Or would that be too top-1% of me? :blush:
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,710
    I'd like to do that too, save some odd old heaps from the crusher. Even with people working to save cars, I know high scrap metal prices have sent many to the parking lot in the sky.

The 1% solution would be to hire some contract cats, dogs, and people from China at 1/20th the cost :shades:
167891012»