Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Venza vs Lexus RX 350

Comments

• terry79terry79 Posts: 27
    I haven't driven the Venza mainly because of the 20" tires. I've heard comments that the ride could be smoother if they had 17" or 18" tires. I mean what's next,
    22" rims with spinners. Some people that have bought the highlander don't even like the 19" tires because of treadwear issues and only two or three tires that
    are currently available. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I'd rather more rubber than more steel.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,174
    I don't like those big wheels on the Highlander and Venza either. Not only will they probably wear faster and be expensive to replace, but they likely hurt ice and snow traction as well. I think a smaller dimension wheel would allow more rubber and a better ride, as well as much lower replacement costs.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Yeah, but those 20" wheels make an otherwise fairly ho-hum cross-over look pretty hip. That was my reaction when I first saw a photo of a Venza. All I saw was those huge wheels, and thought, "what the hell model is that?" :shades:
  • qs933qs933 Posts: 302
    I like the Venza, but the difference between it and the RX is more than just "the layout." The RX is simply more luxurious and the 2010 model differentiates itself quite well from the Venza. The 2010 RX will likely start at least $10K higher than the base Venza V6. It should look and feel more expensive because it is.

What this means to you all depends on your expectations. Those with "Lexus" expectations are likely to conclude that the leather isn't as soft, the woodgrain trim far inferior to real wood, and the ride much too rough. Those with "Toyota" expectations will probably find the Venza to be one of the better interiors in the Toyota lineup.

I'm sure the product managers at Toyota and Lexus mull over positioning extensively when planning their respective products. Even the wheel choice probably reflects the differing target audience. The Venza has 20" wheels that look great.

The 2010 RX has 19" wheels (with 18" standard) -- sacrificing appearance for what's probably a quieter, smoother ride. I saw a 2010 RX with 18" wheels in person today and was disappointed with the way it looked, especially when it was parked near a Venza with those 20" wheels. ;)
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "..look pretty hip.."

You can ride in comfort on 17" or 18" wheels are you can have perfect strangers think you are "hip".....
    If I could buy a new F/awd 2010 RX with the Venza'a upcoming DFI I4 my order would already be in.
  • jkenleyjkenley Posts: 64
    Venomshot, are the 2010's out already? I'm curious to see one myself as I will be turning in a vehicle in May.
    You can ride in comfort on 17" or 18" wheels are you can have perfect strangers think you are "hip".....

Vehicle appearance can be an important factor and wheel choice can play a big role in the overall "look" of the vehicle.

There are a lot of other factors, so the question isn't as simple as you posed it. Personally, I like the way the 20" wheels look, I think the ride quality is firm but still very acceptable, and I'm glad Toyota took some risks on the design that they wouldn't have on a more general-purpose model such as the Camry or Highlander.
  • macpromacpro Posts: 52
    People have mentioned (not just on this forum) that replacing the 20 in tires are very expensive. I did a quick check on TireRack.com

17 in tires are $98.000 each and 20 in tires are $102.00 each. Not a significant difference.

As far as ride goes, I'm very pleased. Just for reference both my wife and I have owned Lexus vehicles for the last 10 years.
    The 2010 RX 350 goes on sale in February, I believe. They are starting to arrive at the ports now. I saw at least a dozen of them awaiting processing at my local Lexus receiving area.

I don't think pricing has been released. On other message boards, the Canadian pricing and packaging was shared, but nothing yet for the US. The rumor was a $1.5K increase over 2009 MSRPs. The 2009 base MSRP is $38.5K, so I would guess a base of $40K + typical options.

The RXs I saw looked better in person than the photos and it'll have all the features of the Venza plus more. I'm guessing a $8-10K premium over a similarly equipped Venza, though.
  • I am really researching my options in the mid SUV area, of course price is important but so is fuel consumption and safety. Does anyone have any thoughts on the new Mercedes, havent test drove it yet, but its next on the list
  • I'm interested to see what other features the Lexus will have, because I think that is really what it comes down to... The Venza is comfortable as hell, I drove it for hours on end and over 100 miles in the past 2 days and didnt have a single ache in my body; I drove it on backroads with a lot of twists and turns, as well as on the freeway, and felt in total control both in steering and acceleration.

Im not trying to shoot the Lexus down, now, but what else could they add that a fully equipped Venza doesn't have? Maybe some previous Lexus owners can pitch in, what features were there in the past that you haven't seen on other cars that you are looking forward to in the 2010? Hopefully by the end of this thread, people trying to choose between the two cars will be able to get a fair comparison on both values and make an educated decision. :)

As far as I know, a few features that the Venza doesn't have that I'm guessing the 2010 RX might have for its "added value" are some sort of auto-parking feature, maybe OnStar?
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    "but what else could they add that a fully equipped Venza doesn't have?"

Power memory seats, to start. Or how about a rear seat DVD entertainment unit? Real wood trim? Adaptive headlights? Or even a simple thing like gas hood struts?
    Im not trying to shoot the Lexus down, now, but what else could they add that a fully equipped Venza doesn't have?

It's the standard trickle-down approach to features. Many features that we take for granted today on many Toyotas started as high-end features on a Lexus.

Based on the Lexus press release, there are a bunch of new features not available on the Venza:

USB/iPod connectivity
    Dual screen rear DVD entertainment system
    Hard-drive based navigation system with Remote Touch controller
    Pre-collision system with radar cruise control
    Intelligent Adaptive Front-lighting System (lights swivel when you turn)
    10 standard airbags (vs 7 in the Venza)
    Park-assist
    Heads-up display
    Ventilated front seats (cooling and heating)
    Wide-view side camera (in addition to rear camera)

A lot of these things will trickle down to Toyota models, the same way Optitron gauges, HID headlights, and even navigation systems made their way from Lexus to Toyota.
  • Waiting to try the I-4 but the loaded FWD V-6 Navi leather was $35,000. Pretty steep. The Lexus will be $43,000 with same equipment,maybe more. We have a 2007 Lexus ES 350 and it is three notches better than the camry V-6 with leather while I say the Venza is only one notch less than the RX. Tulsa gets an RX on Feb 17th . Will drive then and see for myself if Lexus better or not. Hard to tell from photos. The Venza fake wood is pleasing unlike the Highlander. the Venza leather is pleasing unlike the Highlander. Of course, go for a base I-4 Venza add leather package and likely invoice price of $27,000 out the door. Makes the lexus seem pretty steep. Time will tell.
    Lexus announced the base price of the 2010 RX350:

FWD: $36,800 + $825 destination
    AWD: $38,200 + $825 destination

These prices are actually about $900 cheaper than the 2009 base. Keep in mind thought that the cloth-equipped base is going to be pretty tough to find.

Today I saw a FWD with the Premium package (I think that's what it's called) + Comfort Package + Navigation + Heads-Up display and some other misc. options. Together, the options added $11K to the price, bringing the total to almost $49K.
    Portable/handheld GPS/Nav is a lot more convenient and a LOT more cost effective.
  • Has anyone driven the new 2.7 L - 4 cylinder? I am considering ordering a new Venza, but I am curious about the smaller engine.
    Comments???
  • smr36smr36 Posts: 59
    but didn't drive either. Both have lots of the latest electronics and would make anyone proud to own however, IMO the RX is in another league as far as quality of materials, cabin layout and comfort. Decked out with Nav, premium packages etc. the RX costs upwards of $10k more than the Venza 3.5. Is it worth it? I think it is. Whichever you buy would be a good decision.
    If the RX were available with new I4 it would be a better valve than the Venza. otherwise...

NOT...!!

In a year or two the I4 will be upgrading to DFI and then maybe put into the RX.

Or even better an the new I4 gets DFI and Atkinsonization and we get a highly fuel efficient RXh.

Meanwhile I think I might be in love with the CX-7.

But only if my '01 F/awd RX300 divorces me....
  • graberggraberg Posts: 8
    My husband and I just went through this analysis. We ended up getting the 09 Lexus RX-350 because with the current great incentive pricing from Lexus to the dealer, the cost out the door is more than comparable to the Venza and the added features make it a better car in our view. In addition, even though it's a Toyota, it's still a first year model for the Venza and I always hesitate buying a first year model.
  • lal_cltlal_clt Posts: 27
    I thought about getting an RX-350 because the prices with the discounts are now comparable to the discounted Venza. But the lower gas mileage and the fact that it uses premium gas (around here that's .25 more per gallon) makes me look at the cost of owning over the long term. My heart wants a Lexus but my head says the Venza is more practical. The war is on!
  • md_outbackmd_outback Posts: 185
    I've owned an RX350 for nearly three years and I've used regular (87 oct) gas for most of that with little difference in performance or mpg. The true difference in the cost of ownership is that the '09 RX350 will probably depreciate faster (in real dollars) than the Venza and Lexus service typically costs more than Toyota service. Fuel cost difference between the two will be minimal, IMO.
    I hope that '09 Lexus RX350 wasn't the F/awd model.

The 2010 RX350 and the new Venza have a STELLAR F/awd system in comparison. Not nearly in the class of the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system but progress none the less.
    I thought about it as well (Venza vs. the 2009 RX350). Several things that swayed in the Venza's favor were:

- Availability of features such as the Smart Key and a backup camera without Navigation.
    - The Venza is a brand new design that will look "new" for at least another couple of years until the mid-model refresh. The 2009 RX looks the same as the 2004 RX that was launched almost 6 years ago.
    - On the other hand, I prefer a "lower profile" brand like a Toyota over a luxury brand, like Lexus.
    - The discounts on the 2009 RX in my area (single distributor, single dealer) are nowhere near as good as those in other areas.
  • lal_cltlal_clt Posts: 27
    Thanks for your reply. Those are good reasons to consider the Venza over the RX350. Have you driven the Venza without the Nav system and tried to use the backup camera? Just curious how much you can see. I have a great portable GPS and don't need a nav system but I like the backup camera.
    If you're considering F/awd then other than price it's really the 2010 RX350 you should be comparing to the Venza. The 2010 RX350 has the same NEW F/awd system as the Venza. But the Venza WINS with the more fuel efficient I4.
  • graberggraberg Posts: 8
    No, we got the fwd version - no need for awd here. Picked it up Friday and so far very pleased.
    Have you driven the Venza without the Nav system and tried to use the backup camera?

Yes I have -- my Venza has the optional JBL system, but no navigation. The backup camera is definitely usable for what it's intended for: as an aid in addition to everything else you're supposed to do when reversing (i.e. turning your head).

I also had an Echomaster system installed in the rear bumper; I had them in my 4Runner (with no camera).
  • maximafanmaximafan Posts: 592
    Been driving my '07 RX350 for two-and-a-half years, and with the exception of one or two fill-ups with premium unleaded, I've always used regular unleaded with no problems at all. And also
    my car seems to get even better as far as mpg the longer I've driven it.
    I average about 260 miles a week on my RX, usually just back and forth to work, and usually go eight or nine days(sometimes ten days!) before filling up, and that's with still a quarter of a tank of gas left, or between 35 and 50 miles left to empty.

I'm definitely doing better mgp-wise than with my prevous car which was a 2002 Nissan Maxima.
This discussion has been closed.