Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

America's top 10 car colors

2»

Comments

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,405
    The dark color DOES increase (if not the ACTUAL temps inside the car) the FEELING of additional heat.

Oddly, at least half of the BMW at Phoenix dealers I've seen have been dark colors and a sales guy tells me black is the most popular color. :confuse:
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,606
    This isn't exactly a scientific survey, but I do own two '79 New Yorkers, in colors that are almost opposite ends of the spectrum. Here's a pic of the two beasts...

The creme one has a light creme leather interior, while the blue one has a dark blue cloth interior. However, just to be annoying, the blue one does have some vinyl trim in strategically placed so that it's not hard to scorch exposed skin on a hot summer day. Here's a pic of the front seat...

Overall, after sitting all day closed up in a hot parking lot at work on a blistering summer day, I'd say the creme one is more bearable. The leather does get hot, but I think the cloth gets hotter...it's just that cloth isn't going to burn you. But let's not talk about that vinyl trim! I also feel more of a blast of heat from the blue one when I open the door. And if the sun's been beating down through the windshield and hitting the steering column directly, the blue one is more likely to burn my fingers when I stick the key in and turn the ignition. I can do it with the creme one, but with the blue one, I'll sometimes use a rag.

My '67 Catalina convertible has a black vinyl interior, which you'd think would get hotter than hades. But drop the top, roll down the windows, and get moving, and it's really not that bad.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    People who buy Beemers are usually looking for "image" and to "look good" and there is little doubt that a black Beemer looks better than a white one when they are both fully detailed out.

Personal story: The one black car I owned was an Infiniti Q45 and when I used two coats of the blue Zymol on it the first afternoon I bought it (used) and took it to the mall that night, a couple of 40-ish ladies were walking by the car just ahead of me when I was coming back to the car and one of them said to the other, "Look how shiny that black car is!" It made all the work worth it right there !!!

No doubt in my mind that a well-painted black car all shined up is hard to beat for sheer beauty.
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,405
    It's true that black cars look pretty spiffy when they are clean, especially BMWs but in NH,where I live for most of the year they are pretty rare, perhaps due to the difficulty of keeping them clean in wintry conditions.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,946
    My dark grey car is a beast to keep looking what I think is clean. I don't know if I'll ever have another dark car again, unless it's some kind of screaming deal. It looks so good when shined up, though.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,059
    Black has accounted for 20.3 percent of new vehicles sold so far this year.

I'm in the "silver is gray" crowd myself.

2009 Car Buyers Say Paint It Black, Edmunds.com Reports (AutoObserver)

• I'm curious why they would include discontinued brands in the color by brand table. What relevance does Plymouth and Oldsmobile have in 2009 color trends?
    That is a bit curious; maybe the answer will flop up in the comments over there.
    Now here's some great colors - the names at least:

Chevy Announces (Lame) Volt Color Contest Finalists (Straightline)
  • Dude... why don't you just park them side-by-side on a sunny day, put a thermometer in each one, shut the doors and actually *MEASURE* the temperature differnece? :mad:
    edited October 2012
    "White retained the top spot for a second year, after unseating silver, according to the annual automotive color popularity and trend data released today. The findings are based on vehicles built this year.

Here is how the colors broke down:

White: 22%

Silver: 20%

Black: 19%

Gray: 12%

Red: 9%

Natural: 8%

Blue: 7%

Green: 2%

Other colors: 1%"

What is the most popular car color in the world? (Detroit Free Press)
    "Pink is in, synergy green exterior, abalone white tricoat , salsa red."

No, not on the same car. Except one. :)

Small GM cars pile on color for SEMA Show (Detroit Free Press)

• I'm a big fan of the matte colors. Matte orange and grey is favorite
    BRG would be okay.

"The color emerald green is being unveiled today as the next Pantone color of the year. The annual color proclamation is closely followed by the design industry, and emerald is already starting to show up across a wide swath of products—clothes, dishes, furniture and even cars."

A Year in the Emerald City (WSJ)

Yep, it's the 80s again.
2»