Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• Hadn't noticed the mis-spelling ... One thing that bothers me regarding Hyundai products, is the fact that Hyundai automatic transmissions still seem to be prone to the same types of malfunctions that have been plaguing them for several years now ... if these problems are due to inherent design flaws in the unit, then you would think that these bugs would have been engineered out by now ... especially since it appears to be so common?
  • Thanks for mentioning the mis-spelling. It's been corrected.
  • suds277suds277 Posts: 1
    Hello. I am a high school senior and a first time car-buyer. I need a reliable car for college and have decided on the accent. the car i am looking at now is an automatic, with air, rear spoiler, floor mats and mud guards. the dealer will give me the car for $10,889 (there is a $500 rebate in effect this month). could you guys please tell me what you paid for your accents? do you think the price i was quoted is reasonable? Thanks for your help
  • Hi, I am looking to buy a 2000 GS Hatchback. My problem is, I won't be able to buy one till November of 2001. I don't think the dealers will still have the 2000 models anymore. Do anyone else think they will? I don't want to buy a used car, so what should I do? Someone please help! Thanks a lot! Carson
  • aldagaldag Posts: 81
    I bought my 2000 Accent just a bit over a year ago now. I have the basic model equipped with AC and the manual shifter. At 12000 miles, everything is just fine at the moment. No trips back to the dealer for problems, so far. I drove off the lot, taxes, title, regie, and other charges included for $10700. I wonder if the prices have changed very much in a year?...
  • malaz002malaz002 Posts: 4
    I'm not sure whether you're still reading this forum, bobcook54, but do you have any additional information yet regarding the sporty upgrade the Accent is scheduled to receive this spring or summer? I'm seriously considering the purchase of an Accent GS hatchback with option package 3, but would be tragically disappointed if I bought one now and they came out with a "GSi-like" version a few months later. I will be grateful for any information you, or anyone else :~), can provide!

Cheers.
  • bobcook54bobcook54 Posts: 79
    Yeah,I'm still hanging around! Haven't heard any thing for awhile,but I'll check and post here. Bob
    Well, it appears that the sport package for the Accent has been killed for this model year and it's unclear about 2002 availabilty. Sorry to inform you,so go ahead buy one and enjoy!!! Bob
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Kinghyundai: If you are waiting that long to buy an Accent, why not buy a 2001? The 2002 will already be out by November, so the 2001 models will be discounted. I don't see the point in buying a 2000 model as it will already be a used car by than.

suds277: Is that price out the door or before taxes and the other charges? If it's before taxes, than it is too high, especially when there is a $500 rebate. Don't let the dealer have the rebate!! Unless you are good at negotiating, they will try to get the rebate and up the price on your car. In other words, you will get screwed out of money that rightfully belongs to you. Just be very attentive about the rebate and where it really goes.
  • iggy6iggy6 Posts: 7
    I am now an accent owner! 2001 1.3i auto. GB£7349. I think its great, and i like the challenge of keeping up and sometimes overtaking (!) other traffic while keeping the engine out of the i'm-going-to-explode-at-any-moment sounding rev range. Anyway, i get wind noise at 78+mph around the windscreen pillar, is that normal?
  • malaz002malaz002 Posts: 4
    Darn! Maybe I should go to Canada and get a GSi...
    For essentially the same price, you get so much more (body color side mirrors, sunroof, premium wheels/tires, sport-tuned suspension, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, fog lights,etc.). Oh well.

Thanks for all your help, bobcook54. If you get any more info regarding the Elantra GT, would you mind posting it in that section?

Cheers to all!
  • Hi, I am now looking for a 1999 Hyundai Accent GS. Does anyone know where a good place to look might be? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Someone please help! Thanks, Carson
    Where do you live? I would try Autotrader.com. We are associated with them and you can get specific on their website. It's a great way to find out where specific models are in your part of the country. Bob
  • dbwellsdbwells Posts: 44
    I don't know why they bother me so, but I guess I have just been raised to think about the worst thing a car can do is rattle. Drove my father crazy, and I have many memories of him banging around on the dash trying to locate them (not really sure what good it did).

Anyway, now it is the windows. We actually reached about 40F degrees (!) here in Michigan, and I actually felt the need to drive with my windows down for the very first time. Anyway, both windows rattle pretty good when about 1/2 way down. Of course, just about every road in Michigan is uneven pavement at this time of year. What I really want to know is, do others have this problem? I know perry40, you mentioned it a while back. Do you have power windows or standard ones? I have power windows in a 2001 GS, and just want to hear any comments from others.

Finally, I have never owned a car with a warranty before, and I don't really know what to expect. I know the manual says some vague comment about not being responsible for minor defects which don't effect the functioning of the vehicle, but they also want to make customers happy, right? Or not? I mean, is the dealer going to balk at me or think I am out of line if I ask him to fix this when I go in for a scheduled stop? Again, I confess my complete ignorance in any matters of this sort, and would very much welcome any comments or pointers.

Thanks,
    DW
  • iggy6iggy6 Posts: 7
    I've never owned a car with warranty before my accent and i asked what is covered, they said anything that does not perform its designed function properly, so if the windows are not designed to rattle then the repair is covered under warranty, i guess. (ps. are the windscreen pillars designed to be wind-noise-free up to 78mph only???)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    dbwells: My manual windows don't rattle with them halfway open. They are quite tight in their openings and require some effort to wind them down. The only time they rattle when halfway down is when you slam the door. Any justifiable complaint you have is covered under warranty and should be taken care of by the dealer. If they are that bad, take it in. It probably has a loose bolt or something.

iggy6: The A-pillars on any car makes noise at high speeds. It is quite normal. My Accent starts making noticeable wind noise right around 80 mph. Consider that good, because some cars start making noise before that. My 91 Nissan Stanza is godawful loud compared to my Accent (the mirrors whistle and lots of wind noise can be heard when u hit 70). Amazing that the Stanza passed as a mainstream family sedan back than. Cars sure have come a long way.
  • lw12lw12 Posts: 5
    i have test driven a 2001 Accent GS and have noticed changing gears on surface streets and driving on the freeway, i can hear a high pitched engine sound....? is this normal? the engine sounds whiny..thanks
  • sopmansopman Posts: 46
    I'm about to buy a 2001 Accent GL. This is a basic model, four-doors with no A/C. This is a 5-speed. They gave my a price of $9,500. Is this a good price??
  • jjpcatjjpcat Posts: 118
    I don't think the price is great. I don't know where you live. But here in SF bay area where cars are expensive, I could get a GL with either AC or Auto at $9k + tax + license + $70 CA smog fee + $45 doc fee.
  • sopmansopman Posts: 46
    Unfortunately, I live in upstate NY, near Albany. Wanted to add that the price includes designation charge and advertisement fees. I have to pay tax, title and registration.