Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    There are no known problems with the 2000 up Accents. They are very solid reliable little cars, mainly because they are so basic. I personally would look for a 2001 or 2002 Accent GL since they had the more powerful 1.6 liter engine and they can be bought with relatively low mileage for around $6k. I would go for used in your situation since you get a much better deal and simply need a good car to get you back and forth to college. I would suggest you look for one with less then 30k so that way you know you will be the one doing the major 30k service instead of taking someone else's word that the service has already been done.

It is difficult to tell whether a car was cared for mechanically. A used car can look clean as a whistle and still be a clunker. But with a used car under 30k, there really shouldn't be anything majorly wrong unless it's been wrecked. You should do a carfax report to make sure. As far as negotiations and price goes, you can most surely negotiate under what they are asking. I would look up what a fair price is for the car you are looking at and offer that price. If the dealer balks, say thanks but your price is way too high and walk out. If they want your business, they will run after you and either accept your offer or start negotiating. Stick to the price you know is fair for the car and bring copies of the car's value from edmunds.com and kelleybluebook.com to show you know how much the car should cost. Once they see you are armed with knowledge, they will sell you the car for a fair price. Don't let them try to make you feel bad by saying they aren't making any money on the deal. They won't sell the car unless they make money off it. I won't lie to you and say buying a car is a happy experience. You will more then likely leave the dealer exhausted with a headache. But in the end, when you know you paid a fair price, you will be happy you stuck to your guns. Good luck and let us know what happens!
  • smalltownsmalltown Posts: 72
    I would get a hatchback instead of the sedan, especially if you will be in school. With the back seats down, you can haul a lot of bulky things like a large TV or computer system. If you get one where someone has already done the 30K service, that would be nice.
  • baber1baber1 Posts: 49
    I believe you will get the remainder of the 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty so this should make things easier for you. I put 132,000 miles on my 99 Accent sedan before it was totaled by a careless driver. My car was barely broken in at 30,000 miles. The biggest problem I had was the automatic transmission failed at 94,000 miles even after I did the proper maintanance. I have heard the autonatic transmissions are a weak point in tha Accent this proved to be true in my case. A good indicator on how a car is maintaned is the condition of the interior. The first thing I did when I bought my car was to put seat covers and a leather cover on the steering wheel. Check to see the interior was well cared for this is a good sign the owner cared. Check the tires for even wear. If the tires are more worn up front this means the owner didnt bother to rotate the tires every 7500 miles. If the owner didnt bother to rotate the tires, what else did he/she forget to do? I think a hatchback would be better for you too, I got the sedan because I have a Wife and kid. I hope you find the car for you. Good Luck!!
  • questionerquestioner Posts: 11
    Hi, guys:

I need some opinion on buying a used 02 Accent L hatchback. As you guys know, this is a vary basic car: manual tranny, AC, 53000 miles, tire looks half new. The dealer is firm at price $2650. The car looks good. I am buying this car as a side car and at the same time hoping to learn driving a manual car. I have not tested drive it yet because I don't know how to drive a manual car.

Do you guys think this is a fair price? The dealer doesn't have any maintanence documents of this car(he got it from auction). If for example, the clutch went south before 60K miles, without any service history records, will the dealer cover the clutch under warranty?

Thanks!

-Q
    Sounds like an excellent price to me if its in good shape inside and out. However, if the clutch fails, unless the dealer specifically says they cover it under their own warranty, it will be replaced at your expense. The clutch is not covered under the regular 5yr/60k warranty that Hyundai provides. It is only covered for 1yr/12k.
    Sounds like a good price to me too. You may have to have the brakes looked at, have the trans gear oil changed and the timing belt would be due at 60K miles. I would buy it. Does this have the SOHC or the DOHC engine? I had the SOHC in my 99, it was bulletproof. I spent 3 hours driving 100 miles a day in my 99 Accent. It made a great commuter car. The 02 is even nicer. Go for it!
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    Julians. I have the same problem on my 2002 Accent GL 5spd 49K miles. The tachometer has been jumping to 2K rpm most of the time. At first I thought it wasn't a big deal and just pumped the gas to get rid of it. I also didn't mind because it kinda functions as cruise control on the highway. When I'm in 5th gear and the car just sticks at 2k rpm, you have a steady 55mph. =) Any update on your problem? What was the fix? Thanks.
  • i appreciate all the information and help you guys gave me. however i do not think i will be getting a hyundai soon. at the time of the previous post, i knew my dad wanted to give me his truck but, since he lives several states from me , and is not very reliable himself, i did not think i would be able to drive the car anytime soon.

unfortunely my dad just passed away the end of last month. which means i have inherited a nice truck that i will try to keep as long as possible. this also kind of comforts me as i heard that to tow anything in the accent was to void its warrenty,since i am getting an apartment this september for school and am driving 5 states away (fl to VA), i think everything has worked out for the best.

thank you all
       LBC
  • juliansjulians Posts: 42
    you seem to have the same thing, but my car is auto. In fact,I brought into the shop a week ago (the check engine light had been on as well) and they said it has a sensor in the transmission that works in conjunction with the throttle sensor that is malfunctioning. It seems odd to me that this rpm problem is in the auto trans, we will see. The part was back ordered and should be in any day. I hope to have it installed on Friday. I suppose the manual may have a similar sensor in the trans, but it is also possible that the diagnosis is not correct and I will be back. I will let you know if it actually fixes the problem.

One side note... the dealer says if the check engine light is on there is no cost as under warranty, however (in my case) if the check engine light is off (even if it had been on) and there is nothing wrong, you get the $85.00 bill. Luckily they found something wrong,
    My check engine light has gone on a few times in the past but I usually get rid of it by turning the engine off and turning it back on. My idle problem seem to have started after I got an oil change 2 months ago. Stupid me, I just checked the dipstick yesterday and the oil is a lil past the F level. Wonder if this is the cause? Either way, I scheduled for next week to go to the dealer for the first time. I'm doing the 30K scheduled maintenance for $350 even though my car is already past 50K miles.

I told them about the idle problem and a knocking sound when the radiator fan starts. They didn't mention anything about charging me if they don't find anything. If they did, I definitely wouldn't pay and call Hyundai. Its like take the 5 year/60K mile warranty at your own risk... =)
    My former trusty 00 Accent had its first problem since I sold it to my friend 2 years ago. I drove it recently and noticed a real bad misfire/stumble/loss of power. The car bucked wildly and nearly stopped while trying to get through a busy intersection quickly. It was a bit scary and dangerous. I thought it was the clutch slipping. My friend took it to the dealer. Diagnosis: 2 spark plug wires were bad. The car now has 44k on it. All the plug wires were replaced under warranty. From what I hear, the car runs great again. Only one warranty repair in 2 years. Not too shabby!
    Most of the time the check engine light would be the false gas cap problem on my 99 Accent. I would get it after I filled the tank. I could reset it by pulling the fuse for the ECM computer for a few seconds and putting it back. Then at about 112,000 miles the check engine light started to flash before it atayed on steady and the engine ran a little rough. This turned out to be the O2 sensor. Rule of thumb if the check engine light comes on solid and the engine is running fine it is probably the gas cap thing and not a big deal. If the light flashes or the engine runs badly it is a real problem.One of the Auto stores in my area (Autozone?) will even check your computer code for free. They will tell you what the code means and sell you the parts to fix it if you want to do the work yourself.
    Got a new sensor in the auto trans on the 2002 Accent. The problem was strange acceleration while driving. Had to bring it in two times in one day because the check engine light came on right after leaving the first time...turns out the sensor cover was not screwed on properly and the sensor came out partway...it would not shift into high gear. So, after a long day of service shopping, the car seems to drive much better. The shifting is lively and the car wants to run. It still is rough at start-up...almost seems like it will stall, but then does ok. I will let you know if it keeps going good.
    I was supposed to bring my 2002 Accent GL in for the intermittent 2K rpm idle problem I've been having last Thursday. Two days before that I decided to tinker with the issue to see what might be causing it. I started using super unleaded gas and not sure how but the problem ceased for 2 days. It started to come back but not as bad. I then sprayed with wd40, the throttle links/spring and this seemed to work even better. I drove the car the whole day yesterday with no high idle issues. Lets hope it holds out. I also decided that I will be tuning up the car as well. Anyone know where the PCV valve and fuel filter are located at? With other car's I've had, the fuel filter usually sticks out. Thanks.
    I dropped the car this afternoon at the dealership because the engine started revving up to 3500 rpm on idle. The dealer called me 5 hours later to tell me that the computer diagnostics returned a bad TP Sensor circuit. They've replaced it and I get to pick it up tomorrow. I'm relieved. BTW, Hyundai's website is pretty cool since they have a troubleshooting page. The TP Sensor circuit was step number 5 on the high idle problem issue. I printed this out and showed the tech on what to check for... just in case they try to pull my leg with bs diagnosis.
  • vinnygvinnyg Posts: 57
    I have a similar good luck story with my 99 Accent. Bought it new in Feb 99 and it runs excellent. The only major problem was the auto tranny went at 83,000 miles and was replaced under the powertrain warranty, no questions asked. The only other problem was a pinhole leak in the A/C condenser which was also under warranty. I currently have 135,000 miles on it and average 33 mpg during my 150 mile a day commute. I do all the maintenance myself, except for the timing belt. I use Amsoil synthetic oil which I change every 25,000 miles (yes, thats 25,000)and a filter change every 12,500. The car does not burn a drop of oil and I never have to warm it up, even in the cold Northeast winters. I run Bosch Platinum plugs, which I changed after 85,000 miles on them. The only other things replaced were routine wear and tear items like front brakes (still using original rear set)3 sets of tires, belts, and hoses. So far this is my most reliable vehicle in my 20+ years of driving. Hyundai has definately come a long way.(I previously owned an 86 Excel which was garbage)
    did your car have any trouble starting? My car always dies the first try, then starts just ok. Like the choke does not work correctly? The rpm thing seems to be ok since the replacement of the auto trans chip, but the start up thing still persists.

It is great to see the good reports of this car. I had a 1992 Excel, which was great...liked it more than my Honda as far working when it should.
    My car has no issues with starting. When I did get the occasional check engine light, it starts okay but rough. I would just restart the engine and it'd be okay.

This is what Hyundai's troubleshooting guide suggest what to check for in order. This is for a car that has trouble starting when the engine is cold.
    1. ECT Sensor circuit
    2. Fuel Quality
    3. Idle Speed Control Actuator
    4. Intake Air Temp Sensor Circuit
    5. Fuel Pressure Regulator
    6. Fuel Pump
    7. Fuel Lines
    8. Injectors
    9. PCM

I was able to tune up my car btw, the PCV valve was covered with insulation so I couldn't see it at first. Regarding the fuel filter, its under the back seat and is not recommended to be replaced till 105K miles. Cost me $135 for parts online (plugs, wires, pcv, air filter, oil filter, fuel filter and brake pads). I love this car, it is so cheap to maintain. =)
    thanks for the info kagedude.
  • frenchcarfrenchcar Posts: 247
    Have any of you Accent owners driven a GT model with the larger wheels and tires and stiffer suspension? Im curious if it makes a big difference. The white faced guages are probably easier to read and add a nice touch..

However, I was disappointed to find out that the rear seat windows dont open on the coupes. Claustrophobic time perhaps?

I would like to hear from GT owners and anyone who has driven both Gt and a sedan for a comparison..
  • radfishradfish Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 accent. I like the car, it has 140,000 miles on it. My problem is the temp gauge is acting up. The gauge is showing it's running hot but the car doesn,t appear to be. A new radiator and thermostat made no diff. The gauge will jump hotter when you put the a/c on. Now the low fuel light has come on with 3/4 of a tank of gas! Help!!! Anybody else with this problem? or any thoughts? I am thinking Corolla!! Thanks, Kevin
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    Your temp gauge needs to be verified. Just because the temp gauge is reading high does not always mean its true. A mechanic needs to use an external measuring device that will check the calibration of your gauge.
  • shrewshrew Posts: 6
    Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me a heads up about any recurring issues people have experienced with the Accent, and how they were dealt with by the dealer (under warranty, good service?). I'm 99% sure I'm going to buy one in the near future, so any feedback you guys can give me would be appreciated. If you've had no problems with yours, say so! :)
    I just sold my 2002 Accent GL 5spd with 52K miles. If not for me getting my old 94 Mazda Protege DX back, I would be in a Hyundai dealership right now waiting for the 2005 Accent model. My dealer service experience in NY is great. I only went once during the 2 years I've owned it. The one problem was with the Throttle Position Sensor circuit which was fixed in 2 hours. It turns out this was causing my earlier complaint of occasional check engine light.

I would definitely recommend the Hyundai model line. I see it as an undervalued car. My mom and sister also drive the 2001 and 2004 Elantra and both have not been to the dealer for issues aside from that one instance with the brake recall.

Good luck in your purchase!
    I have had great luck with Hyundai untill late. Our 2002 Accent auto (31,000miles) randomly has the rpms go very high when it should be idling. I have posted some on it prior. My dealer has replaced a trans sensor because of a check engine light, but now that is over and the random acceleration still persists. My dealer has not been able to duplicate the problem and supposidly they fixed the code problems, so I have a car that is not running correctly and a dealer not able to help. I have written Hyundai and filed a complaint with the NHTSA site. I will try a different dealer this week. I hope this gets resolved some day...I don't want to trade it in knowing a kid may end up with it and the random acceleration problem very well could cause an accedent. Besides, the car has an excellent warranty, I would like it to get fixed.

Doing some research, this seems to happen to some people. That is why I am supprised the dealer seems to not know.

I would not let my problem keep you from a Hyundai as I am probably a very small percentage, but you asked, and I am not too excitied about Hyundai Accents any more. I did own a Excel, and it was excellent...go figure.
  • Hey guys, I just picked up my new 2004 Accent GSi yesterday (standard transmission). So far I'm still giddy with excitement and just happy with having it, as this is my first new car. :D I haven't had a chance to drive it a whole lot yet, but so far everything seems perfect. But if you have any tips or anything, let me know!
  • I have been keeping track since it started to happen in the last few weeks. It only happens to me at lunch time or going home after work when the car has been sitting in 85+ temperature. Never happens on cool days and rarely in the morning. I have a 2002 hatchback with the 1.6 engine and automatic.
  • I have a 98 accent also and its good to here that you have 140k on it. Besides from reg maint, the only other money I put in has been for a cv joint. It beats expensive repair bills.

I had the same problem with the temp gauge. I had the rad. flushed & the therm replaced & no problems. Very weird electrical problems.

Next year I will be getting a new car & hope I have the same good luck with it. I have not heard many good things about the newer hyundai's.
  • Ours started out just as yours does (same car and engine). Worse in the afternoon on hot days sitting in traffic. It got worse at times, better at times. I will let you know if anything makes it better. It is going to a second shop tomorrow. I can tell you the transmission relay switch is not the problem. That is what they fixed at the first shop...then the check engine light was reset, and they say we have not problem because they have not been able to duplicate the problem on their own.
  • Congrats! New cars are fun.