Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• baberbaber Posts: 96
    The new Kia Rio looks like a nice car worth considering. It will have a 108 hp 1.5 liter engine, nice. I don't think I will get rid of my 99 Accent soon though. I have 23,000 miles on it, and it is still rattle and squeak free. I have the sedan, maybe the hatchback is more prone to squeaks and rattles. Anyway, I am very happy with my 99 Accent so far. Right now the Accent is the cheapest real car you can buy, but this may change when the Rio comes out.

Scott
  • poconojoepoconojoe Posts: 42
    baber,
    I recommend anyone getting an insurance quote from Proggressive, to get it in writing. I received a very attractive phone quote from them. Accepted it, and using my credit card to pay the down payment. Later, in the mail I received a higher premium. When I called them they said that I had an accident 2 years ago. I told them that on the phone when I was getting the quote. A fender bender with a $1250 payout.
    Anyway my rate came in $800 dollars more than the phone quote. Now I'm shopping for a new insurance company. Watch out for the bait and switch.

BTW my 99 Accent has 30K miles and still squeak and rattle free. Getting 40MPG commuting mostly highway.
  • bennj1979bennj1979 Posts: 8
    I think alot of the lower cost cars (economy cars) tend to squeek and rattle when it's very cold, for example, temperature plays a role in how parts move and if they're going to rub together or not. This is something not considered in the engineering of the cheaper cars, for good reason, obviously they are lower cost. The gentleman (or lady) above with the squeeks and rattles never stated where he/she is living, or the temperature at which they are operating the car - sounds pretty cold to me if you have to wait a more unusual amount of time until RPMs hit 1000. On my old Hyundai (1990) during a bitter Jersey winter, I had the same problem, doing an injector/throttle clean up did help some, but I still had to hold down the gas to warm it up, I'm glad to say, front wheel Hyundais are great in the snow, I never got stuck, and in fact, had plenty of ponies to get myself out of the average snow in, just don't try going over 25 MPH on the highway, that would be a bad idea.
    Talk about cold weather makes me remember my first new car, a 1977 Honda Civic 5 speed. Even though my 99 Accent is 22 years apart from the Honda, I still tend to compare them. The 77 Honda had a 1.5 liter engine that put out about 68 HP. It used a carberator and had a manual choke. The engine ran terrible in cold weather, no matter how I set the choke. This is the reason I got rid of it after 1 year. The car did squeek and rattle more in cold weather until it warmed up. The car rode like a rock untill the suspension warmed up too. Snow and ice would get packed into the steel wheels and put the wheels out of balance too. We don't have a lot of cold weather here in Florida, but we did have a few days close to freezing. My 99 Accent ran great in freezing weather. I love the fuel injection, the throttle response is fantastic! The 77 Honda and 99 Accent both average about 35 mpg, but my 99 is an automatic the 77 was a 5 speed. The 77 had an AM radio, no AC or power steering. The 77 cost me $4500 without AC, the 99 Accent cost me $10,000 with AC a nice stereo and automatic. There is such a difference between economy cars of the 70's and now, it is really amazing. The new cars ride and handle so much better with better economy and lower emmissions.
  • natron1natron1 Posts: 1
    does anyone know where to find performance parts for an Accent? I am considering buying one (price is right), but want to make sure I can tweak it.
  • slava1slava1 Posts: 5
    I think, I might surprise you revealing that I live in sunny LA, CA. And still wait about 2-3 minutes in the morning for the tach to hit 1000.
  • sheenacsheenac Posts: 2
    Hi there, I am an owner of a 1993 hyundai scoupe. I am so sick of doing repairs on it, so I went into my local hyundai dealer to see if they could help me out with a trade in for a newer hyundai since GM or Ford wont even spit towards a hyundai let alone buy one! Stupid...anyways...so I found a 1998 hyundai accent L model for $9,999 (Canadian). Nice colour, I hate red but this is like a maroony red, its nice. But this car! It is in good body and paint condition and only has 35,000 km on it, meaning warranty! Which is VERY good. But its got nothing in it! No anti-lock brakes, no power steering, no air bags, no CD, no air conditioning and no cruise! At another hyundai dealership, I found a 1999 Hyundai accent GT Sport for $10,900, with only 55,000km on it! Probably has the spoiler, possibly air bags, better wheels....any advice from you hyundai owners out there?
  • sher6sher6 Posts: 1
    For anyone who has any doubts about the safety of an Accent - my son lost control of his 1999 Accent and rolled it into a gully. He and his friend walked away from the car without a scratch. They were both wearing seatbelts. The car was demolished but the roof and door supports were solid through the crash. Maybe an Accent is not flashy but to me it looked like an $80,000 Mercedes when I saw my son safe and unharmed.
  • sheenacsheenac Posts: 2
    Thank you for your posting, I think when it comes down to it, safety IS what is most important!
  • aldagaldag Posts: 81
    I bought my 2000 Accent Hatchback in February after my eight year old Dodge Shadow was totaled during a snowstorm by a maniac in a Honda Odyssey. The hatchback Accent reminded me very much of my Shadow, and so gave me a feeling of continuity. I now have about 4000 miles on the car with no problems so far. It makes a very interesting sound as the engine revs up, almost like a jet turbine. I bought it with the dealer installed A/C which cost an extra $899 which I did not feel was too unreasonable. For a small car, the A/C works remarkably well, producing very frigid air almost right away. Of course, this takes considerable power from the engine, but this is true of most small cars. (I call the Accent my "midget car".) It has a five speed manual which is fairly easy to shift, though the throw into second gear is fairly long. That just takes some getting used to. The tires are quite good for an economy car, very grippy. I remember changing the original tires on the Shadow almost right away because they had a tendancy to hydroplane at relatively low speeds in wet weather. But the Accent tires seem quite good. The fuel economy is remarkable. Even with $2.00 gas, I have yet to consume a $20 bill to fill the tank, and I seem to drive for weeks before I get gas. It will be most interesting to see how this car stands up to the test of time. I think the folks at Hyundai put a lot of thinking into this car and came up with much more than one might expect for an economy car.....
    I bought a 99 Accent sedan last September. Got 23,000 miles now with no trouble. Very happy so far, a lot of car for the money. Bought a 99 Elantra for my Wife. We have 11,000 miles on that car with no problems too. The 2000 Accent is an improvement, more room, nicer interior, fold down rear seat in the sedan now. My 99 has great fuel economy and it does have a great air conditioner.
  • stefannstefann Posts: 1
    I'm on the verge of buying a Hyundai Accent 4-door sedan, stickshift. I've test-driven a couple of them, and I'm wondering if anyone can allay my following concerns:

BURNING BRAKES: on the models I've test driven on hills, the brakes smell as if they're old and need replacing. Is this normal for brand new brakes, and will it go away after a few hundred miles?

DIFFICULT SHIFTING: it's been kind of hard getting the stick into second and third at times. Has anyone else experienced this, and does it get easier as the car breaks in?

OIL ON ENGINE BLOCK: on one model I drove, checking under the hood I saw some oil around the oil cap. What's up with this?

INSURANCE: what's a good rate on the Accent, considering its somewhat questionable issues with safety? I'm 32, with good credit; this'll be my first new car.

What is everyone's general impression of the Accent?

Thanks!
  • sach1sach1 Posts: 22
    the brakes may need to seat themselves if brand new, this will naturally occur after a few hundred miles. sounds like some service schlepp wasn't too careful topping off the oil and spilled some. I have the auto, so not much i can tell you about the stick shift. Overall, I am extemely satisifed with the Accent HB, (18,000 miles on a 2000 so far) almost went with a Focus but the steady stream of recall and service notices scared me off. Sounds like another fine Fix Or Repair Daily product out of Dearborn. You can't beat that Hyundai 10-year warranty either.
  • elantra00elantra00 Posts: 225
    all that stuff is normal. i have a hyundai elantra in 5 spd. when i first got it about 2 months ago, the shifter was tough to put in gear. this is because it has to break in. 2000 miles later, its smooth and easy. the smells you are smelling are just parts breaking in, seals sealing themselves up. after 1500-2000 miles if this is still going on, bring it in. oil around engine cap...guy probably spilled it putting it in. check under the car to see if its leaking, then you got a problem. i just realized, is this a new car or used car? if its new, then follow what i said above. if its used, i wouldnt get it. good luck
    I now have over 4000 miles on my 2000 Accent, so far, so good. Yes, there was a burning smell during about the first two weeks or so, but I have experienced this smell with other new cars and it goes away in a short period of time. I attribute it to labels and/or grease, or paint, or undercoat on exhaust components which burns away. The brakes work fine on this car, I am very satisfied with the stopping characteristics. There was a bit of oil on the plastic valve cover when I obtained the car, which I wiped off. It has not reappeared. The oil plug and oil filter were incredibly tight to remove when I did my first oil change, thankfully nothing was stripped. Shifting was a bit easier after break in, but getting into reverse is sometimes a bit finicky, which reminds me of the Nissan Pulsar I once had. The seats in this car I must rate as extra firm, like riding in a German bus. I usually sit on a "booster pillow" anyway, for better driving position.

The engine must be built to very good tolerances. It used absolutely no oil to the first oil change and the oil stayed very clear to about 1500 miles when the usual gradual darkening started to occur. The oil filters are commonly available as it seems the Hyundai uses the same oil filter across their product line and for many of the past years. That is very smart, I wish other car makers would do the same. I bought a wheel so that I can have a full size spare. I also bought a couple of spare belts, to keep in the trunk for emergencies, just in case.

As for insurance, I was driving an eight year old Dodge Shadow. My rates for the new Accent went up by only $76 annually. That seems pretty reasonable to me. The insurance company apparently treats the Accent as a sub-compact family car, that would be my guess, judging from the affordable rates.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Most of your observations were normal. New brakes tend to smell some when being broken in, especially if you are using them hard on a hill. Never use new brakes hard or u risk glazing them and loosing some of their effectiveness. It's possible what you were smelling was the undercoating burning off the exhaust system. My 2000 Accent smelled pretty nasty the first week or so that I had it. I only noticed the smell when I got out of the car or had the A/C on fresh air. I too had an oil stain around my oil filler cap. I find it odd a few people have mentioned this.
    As far as the stick shift is concerned, it is NOT one of the smoothest shifters around. It may get a little better once you break it in, but I have 2600 miles on mine and I still sometimes have grinding problems going into second and third and difficulty engaging first. I believe it is a design flaw as one guy has emailed me concerning his shifting problems combined with a noise that I have also encountered and he is now getting an entire new transmission installed. I hope I do not have to go that route. Anyway, the notchy, finicky shifter is not enough to deter you away from the car. You get somewhat used to it and I still enjoy the car despite it.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I was wondering if anyone that owns a 2000 Accent 5 speed with a tachometer would be willing to help me out. I unfortunately have an Accent L which lacks the tachometer. I am curious as to what rpms the engine is turning at certain speeds so I can tailor my driving. Currently, I am using only engine note combined with actual speed to determine when I shift. I think I am shifting too soon, but am unsure. My questions are: What rpm is the engine at when going 70 mph in fifth gear? At what speed is the car moving when you hit 2,800-3,000 rpms in second, third, and fourth gears with light to moderate acceleration. I currently shift into third when moving at about 25 mph and into fourth at about 38. Ideally, I would like to shift at 3,000 rpms to avoid lugging the engine too much. Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to help me out :)
    I also have the tachless version of the Accent, so I can't really say what the RPM's are at any particular speed. However, it sounds like you are shifting at about the right speeds, similar to what is suggested in the owners manual. I usually remain in first to about 15 mph, then second to about 25, then third to about 35, then fourth. Now the manual suggests fifth at about 45, but my feeling is that this is too early for fifth as there is reduced torque in fifth gear and the need to accelerate into highway traffic seems to be better satisfied by remaining in fourth until at least 50 mph, and then slipping into fifth seems to work well. The engine speaks very clearly when it wants to be shifted, the sound is not likely to be missed. As with most small engines, the maximum power and torque are produced at relatively high rpm's, so for power accelerations, holding it in the lower gear longer can provide an extra boost, especially with the A/C running. In fact, it might be a good idea when entering the highway to turn off the A/C for just a few moments so as not to over tax the engine and get maximum acceleration. I enjoy driving this standard shift Accent, as it improves my driving concentration and driving experience... :-)
  • mmy2mmy2 Posts: 2
    I'm looking at a '96 Accent with 35,000 miles. this is a 4-door Hatchback with sunroof, 5-speed.
    The last offer was 4500. I have concerns about safety and reliability because this is for my son who will be driving to school 360-400 miles. ANY COMMENTS ON A 96 ACCENT?
  • mmy2mmy2 Posts: 2
    The Accent is NOT a hatchback-sorry!