Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• muffin_manmuffin_man Posts: 865
    I was very impressed. I've done a lot of research on the Accent, which I originally did out of boredom. But as I read more about it, I sort of became attached to it, so now that I'm back in the USA, and car shopping I had to go test drive.

(the truth is, what originally got me interested was hearing about people buying Accent L's for $6995 and such)

Anyway, the throws were long, the seats were comfortable, the acceleration was about as good as my automatic 91 Accord LX (two cars ago, a car which I really liked), I liked the interior, two friends fit in the back seat with no problem during the test drive, the salesman was very pleasant, the ergonomics were great, overall I was very pleased. Later in the day when I was testing a Celica GT (Auto, because they had no manuals), I found the Accent to have more get up and go.

All that said, I would definitely recommend the Accent to a friend, and the main reason that I'm not getting one is because I just don't know if I feel safe in such a small car. (the car I really want is the MR-S, which is about the same size/weight, but it's worth a greater risk of bodily harm to drive a sports car)

I want the Accent, at the prices they are going for now, it's a steal, and I am sold. That said, I'm probably going to buy the Civic Si because they are dealing on 2002's now like nobody's business (and I loved driving it).

The only reason I'm not getting the MR-S is because of the storage space. I just don't think I can make it with that as my only car.
  • mpynempyne Posts: 120
    are these prices real!!!!!

i tried to look for accents on the internet but dealerships here dont have prices or cars listed on their website. carsdirecr price is around 9k.

please let me know if this price is for real..

thanks
    I've seen them advertised for $6995, and people on this forum have gotten them for it. I am sure that if you went to a Hyundai dealer right now you could probably get that price, especially because they are clearing out the 2002's.
  • perry40perry40 Posts: 94
    Wow ... $6995 US = $10,886 Cdn ... they're going for over 15,000 Cdn here!!! You Americans are getting a sweet deal!!!
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    Here in British Columbia they are selling for $ 12975 Cdn. Bargaining should bring the price down a bit.
  • 5spd5spd Posts: 38
    The $12975 canadian one comes with what kind of equipment, auto tranny ? a/c ? I heard that they don't offer the 10 year power train warranty in Canada, isn't that the case ?
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    The price mentioned is for a basic 5 speed Accent, no A/C. Price includes PDI and delivery.
    Not bad, eh? (it's about US$ 8370, a little less if you are a good negotiator).
  • I bought an Accent (stripped L-- ie, manual, no AC) in northern California for $6360 2 months ago. See my earlier post for bargaining, pricing etc. I'm seeing advertised prices of $6875 recently for the same vehicle. I'd agree with the earlier poster that as the '03s arrive, '02 pricing should become even more competitive.

Mine currently has about 5K miles on it, as well as added cruise and AC. I've been very pleasantly surprised with the car's performance and features. Love that lumbar support on the driver's seat! Getting about 38mpg on the freeway. The acceleration is great-- better than the Camry I drive for work-- and not sure what the top speed is, but I know it's over 110 mph. It's much too early to say, but it certainly seems like a good value in a small car to me. Two thumbs up from this reviewer/driver.
    I saw one advertised today for $6488. Man are these amazing deals. I really wish I could justify buying one. Darn!
  • perry40perry40 Posts: 94
    The price I quoted earlier of $15,000+ Cdn. is for a 2-Door GS with Auto, AM/FM/CD and is in St. John's, Newfoundland ... I'm sure the 5-spd is a tad cheaper, but still nowhere as cheap as $10,668 (equiv. $6800 US) or the $12,000 Cdn. price quoted from British Columbia ... we're getting ripped here ...
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    My friend reported to me that the horn quit working on my 00 Accent. If anyone remembers, I had that problem before and rectified it by replacing the horn relay, but I find it hard to believe the new relay failed so soon. Has no one else encountered this? I'm beginning to think there is a contact issue with the airbag hub. By the way, the car now has about 26,700 miles on it.

On another note, I bought an 03 Suzuki Aerio SX last Sunday. So far, 400 miles and I'm loving it! 145 horses was a big change over the 92 horses on the Accent. I can't get over how much power I have now. I also finally have all the power goodies I've been dying to have.
  • mpynempyne Posts: 120
    ive been doing searches on google for hyundai dealers and but none of them have new inventory listed???

also can anyone give me a link if they are advertising the 6488 prices on the internet. i thought i could print this out and take it to my local dealer and see if they can match it.

thank you
  • I don't know if Hyundai trades on the NYSE...The only entry I found was the one in the title. Its for Hyundai Motor Company Ltd. It looks like its an OTC stock. But I'm financially-challanged anyway!
  • Hey, I took my 2002 Accent in because the front passenger seatbelt kept locking on every minor bump. It then wouldn't unlock & extend back out. You had to take it off & let it wind back in. Anyway, the dealership said every Hyundai is like that... whatever. Has anyone else experienced this?
    The dealer wasn't lying. All front passenger seatbelts do this on all newer cars. If you lean forward at all and then sit back, the seatbelt thinks you are trying to install a baby seat and locks tightly in place. You can tell when you initiate this setting because you will hear loud clicking as it tightens down into a locked position. The only way to turn it off of this setting is to let the seatbelt fully retract. However, the belt shouldn't do this if you are just sitting in one position and not moving. But, if you are moving forward at all (such as leaning forward to get something out of the glovebox), then it's working properly. It is a very annoying feature (though useful for those who actually have young kids). Certain body sizes will make the belt more sensitive than others. My friend would get so mad at it because it would lock on him all the time, whereas it rarely locked on me (he is much larger then I am). Try to pay closer attention to when it is locking. If you are not moving and it locks simply from hitting a small bump, then it is too sensitive and the dealer should replace it. Otherwise, you will just have to learn to live with the annoyance. Anyway, you aren't alone in noticing it.
  • I currently have a Elantra GT, and was considering buying an Accent for a commuter. Someday I want to put better wheels on the GT. I was wondering if the GT's wheels would fit on the Accent. Anyone have the info? The GT wheels (tire size) 195 65 15.... I think the bolt pattern is 4X4.25.

Any idea on what I could get a 2dr GS with A/C for? (new,5sp)
    The GT wheels will fit on the Accent, but in order to keep the speedometer accurate, you would need to use 195/50R15 tires.
  • My son's 2002 Accent Sedan (automatic trans), purchased from a dealership in Ohio, has caused him nothing but grief since he bought it in June. The transmission was downshifting hard on the freeway, the dealership said it was a software problem. They fixed something, and it started to do it again within 2 days. This time, the dealer said the transmission was shot, and they would replace the transmission. The first one they ordered was "the wrong size." After nearly a month, they are still waiting for the second transmission to come into the Parts department. The dealership won't even return their calls at this point, they only leave messages saying that they are waiting for parts. Guess this is how they can offer 10-year warranties ... just wait out the customer with poor service, and they'll trade the car in for something that actually runs!
    That kind of experience is not indicative of Hyundai. Read this forum and you won't see any complaints of transmission failure. The car got a bad tranny...it happens. The dealer ordering the wrong part is a little ridiculous, but it can happen. He probably ordered the automatic for the 1.5 liter engine by accident, thus the wrong size for the larger 1.6 liter. The trannys do have to come from Korea so sometimes parts can take awhile to get here. You have a right to be disappointed and upset though. I would think that Hyundai is paying for your son to have a rental right? In most states, the lemon law allows a car to stay in the shop a max of 30 days straight, so keep that in mind. You might be able to use the lemon law and get a new car if they don't fix it soon. Sorry you had a bad experience, but please don't think Hyundai has this problem with everyone because they don't.
  • Hyundai announced on 9/9/2002 that is had misreported some of its horsepower ratings. As a goodwill gesture they will be extending the warranties of the affected vehicles. To find out if your Accent is affected, go to: http://www.hyundaistatus.com/ and type in your VIN number.