Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• baberbaber Posts: 96
    Got my car back yesterday. They put in a rebuilt tranny for me. Hyundai does not cover loaner cars so the 2000 Corolla I had for six days should have cost me $20 a day. When I picked up the car the service manager only charged me for one day. So I got the transmission replaced for $21. I am pretty pleased with the Dealer (Fitzgerald Hyundai Clearwater Fl.) and Hyundai. I am proof that Hyundai stands behnd their 100,000 mile warranty. Their roadside assistance works as advertised too. So far, so good.
  • saber86saber86 Posts: 128
    Good to hear you got your car back and hyundai stood by their long drive warrranty. All the manufactures are having a slow sales now so maybe you can get a good deal on a elantra or even sonata. Go for it.
  • What kind of ATF was used for the tranny?
  • baberbaber Posts: 96
    I had the tranny serviced at the Hyundai dealer. They always used the Hyundai sp 3 ATF fluid. The dealer who replaced the tranny when it failed was the dealer who did all the service so they said the tranny failed due to mechanical problems and not maintainance. The service manager told me that sometimes things fail even when you take care of them. It is very important to use only Hyundai ATF fluid in their auto transmissions. I am glad it failed before the 100,000 mile warranty ended. Another thing I like is the warranty payed 100%, some extended warranties have a deductible like $500. The dealer even gave me a break on the loaner car and only charged me $21 for 6 days. As long as Hyundai still has the 100,000 mile warranty I will get another Accent or Elantra when I wear out my Accent. But with a manual tranny.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,621
    I saw the new Accents up close today. The new front and rear styling is a big improvement, with the rear especially nice--much more upscale. The hatchback's rear looks to me a lot like the Civic coupe's, and the sedan's looks a little Passatish but without the white details. The big difference though between the '02 and '03 Accents is the price--about $500 more. That's a big jump for one year, over 5% in the case of the hatchback, with no major increase in content that I noticed. Maybe a sign of things to come from Hyundai--increased prices now that their offerings are becoming more widely accepted as quality vehicles?
  • acelinkacelink Posts: 106
    I thought I was doing a friend a favor when
    I changed his spark plugs and wires (oem parts) for free.

Now he comes back to me to say that his car seems to run stronger than before but his gas mileage has suffered. Can this be the result of inadequately torqued spark plugs? I am pretty much sure I got them right. He said he was getting 21.4 miles per gallon before the change (mostly city driving). Now he says he is getting around 14.3 miles per gallon. What could have possibly gone wrong? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Btw his engine seems to be covered in sludge, but it was like that before the change. Also, he said he has put more oil than what is recommend in the manual (about 21% more using 15W-40 grade oil). Any cheap suggestions to fix the sludge problem as well?
  • No 1.3L Accents here.
  • Hyundai is the best kept secret in the automotive world. The only reason I'm selling my '99 Accent L is to buy a '03 Tiburon with all the bells 'n whistles. The Accent has had ZERO mechanical problems in three years... NADA! Somebody is going to get a great economy car with almost two years remaining on the extended warranty. WOW!
  • Does this sound like a good price? The car has 27k miles on it, pretty much option free. it's at a dealer so there is probably room to move.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    While you're waiting here for feedback, you may also want to plug your vehicle into Edmunds' Used Vehicle Appraiser. This will give you the average cost others are paying in your area. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Anyone seen the new 03 Accent GL (GS has been renamed GL) 2 door with GT package? They finally made my dream Accent available in the US!! I checked out the Hyundai website and found out about the GT. It has standard sport-tuned suspension, 14" alloy wheels, fog lights, spoiler, rocker sill extensions, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, and white-faced gauges. You can get it with or without the power package. It's a steal at $495 (895 with power package). I'm curious as to how the sport suspension feels. With it, the Accent may become a nice sporty little hatchback. The only thing the GT package lacks that would have been nice is the sunroof that is offered in Canada. The Accent definitely looks more substantial with the new styling (though I'm not a fan of the new eggcrate grill that looks exactly like the sedan) and the GT package makes it look even better. The new tailights on the 2-door look great. This new sports package may put the Accent back on my list as a possible buy in the next year. I just wish they had offered it to begin with 3 years ago!
  • smokey75smokey75 Posts: 434
    ... too bad they didn't give it a little more power too. Hard to call it a GT model just because it "looks" GT.
  • I have a 97 accent with almost 100k. All highway miles. Barely any street mileage. I love my little car. BUT...I have a knocking noise from my engine. REALLY LOUD. Don't know what it is. Put some of that silencing thing in there, but no hope. Do I need a new engine? Can anyone help?
  • inuvikinuvik Posts: 131
    Hmm, that's not a good sign. I don't think in '97 there was the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty so you are on your own. I would take it to a couple of dealers and have them diagnose what they thought the problem was. Don't take it to just one shop or dealer. Get at least a couple of opinions.

If it is a loud knocking noise then yes, you might need a engine rebuild but you won't know for sure until you get a couple of opinions.
  • n2vswn2vsw Posts: 11
    With the car at adle and the hood open do you hear the knock? Have someone accelerate the engine slowly. Does the knocking noise speed up as well then seem to disappear? Then it sounds like a rod knock. This is pretty much terminal and wont be long before you spin the bearing. If your considering rebuilding the engine or selling it to someone who will then do it before the bearing self destructs. Once that happens it can get very expensive.
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    I'm just visiting this thread. Being a good son-in-law, I was checking the maintenance schedule that's listed on Edmunds for a 2002 Accent GL 4 door with automatic transmission(my mother-in-law's car). I note that they list automatic transmission service and filter replacement at 3,000, 7,000, etc miles. It seems excessive. I haven't check her owner's manual, but can this possibly be correct? If not, can the moderators bring this to someone's attention? Look forward to hearing from you folks.

Gotta say, for an inexpensive car, it's pretty nice looking, doesn't look like it's too hard to hard on, and seems comfortable. Looks like a good deal!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    Something must be screwy with the Edmunds schedule because the automatic tranny only needs to be serviced every 30k miles per Hyundai's recommendation in their own manual.
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    Thanks for that bit of information. That's a lot more reasonable.

MODERATORS: Can you get the schedule fixed?
  • I just bought a used 2001 Accent. The little light on the AC switch is always illuminated regardless of the position of the swicth (pushed in or out). If the blower is on, the light is on. Is this normal? I don't have the owner's manual so I'm not sure and it's too cold to tell if the air conditioner is actually on.

Thanks!