Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    747pilot - Sorry you have not gotten a response here yet. Have you had a chance to check out some of the Consumer Reviews for the Hyundai Accent in our New Cars Guide?

Since insurance costs are an important factor, you may also want to check out some of the discussions on our Finance, Warranty, and Insurance Message Board. Also, you'll find lot of tips for saving on insurance in Edmunds' Insurance Section. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your decision. ;-)

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • gitongiton Posts: 15
    I have a 00 Accent GS hatch with 35k Miles. Only probs, engine light came on, fixed by replacing oxygen sensor (under warranty), seat track on front passenger wouldnt hold position, also fixed under warranty.
    Drawbacks: If you buy new, and you live in a major city, insurance is VERY high the first year, then gets much cheaper after the first year.
    The tiny tires and so so brakes make for some scary emergency stops.
    Other than that, I have really liked it for what it is, cheap barebones transportation. I unbolted the rear seats and store them, for more room, since I rarely have passengers in the back. Huge cargo space for such a small car.
    The floor cover over the spare in the rear is rather flimsy. I took it out, could be replaced with a bit of plywood if you need a flat floor.
    The value of all Hyundai's plummet, so I think the sweet spot is to get one used, and damn the warranty. You can pick one up so cheap used, it offsets having to pay for some repairs in my opinion.
    Be sure you get a used one with all records of oil changes.
    I have a friend who bought a Kia Sephia the same month I bought my accent, he NEVER changed the oil, now his car smokes, is having engine probs. I wouldn't take his car for free. But mine is likely to last many years because of regular fluid changes.
    My Accent has no power windows, or power locks. Its a minor annoyance, but then again in years ahead I won't have to pay $200 for a power window motor replacement.
    Good Luck!
  • i was wondering if there are any good hyundai dealerships on long island, ny. i want an accent gt sooo bad but some of the people here have said some bad things about their dealers so i'm a bit worried. i think dashingdave said millenium hyundai was a good one so i was thinking about trying it.
  • may decide to buy a 2003 Accent--also looking at a 2002 corolla--

need any reviews of problems

need ASAP--

thanks.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Besides reading this discussion (past postings) you can also read the consumer reviews on the Accent's vehicle detail page here at Edmunds.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/hyundai/accent/100199806/ratings_- consumer.html?tid=edmunds.n.prices.leftsidenav..16.Hyundai*

You can view reviews on the 2002 Corolla by looking up the information for the current year Corrola (new cars tab at the top of the page), going to the Consumer Reviews for the current year and then selecting the model year you wish to read the reviews on.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    I can only comment on my dealership were I bought my Elantra GT (Huntington Hyundai). The sales staff are a bunch of game players that try to distract you away from the price of the car and constantly talk about how cheap the payments are. They played ALL the classic dealer games so if you are going to get a good price you have to be on your toes about every move of the purchase.

The service dept is completly different. They never quibbled about any complaint I had and always took corrective action. On one warranty repair they ordered the part and the wrong part came in. When I showed up to pick-up the car they said they were sorry and gave me a coupon for 3 free car washes and paid for one additional day on my rental. I cant say enough about the service there. As I said before beware of the sales staff. Print out the Edmunds prices and bring them with you. They hate informed customers.
  • I have a problem with my Accent (Year 2000 model). After visiting gas station and filling
    up with gasoline the yellow engine check lamp goes on.
    Soon after that the engine starts to behave
    erratically, 'hicups'and it sounds like one cylinder stopped working. The engine power
    falls, the exhaust gases becomes dark. After some 20 km or a bit more the problems are not so obvious anymore, the power loss is not
    very apparent, but the smoke still smells unnormally. It also happens that engine check light starts blinking when decelerating the car and the engine turns are falling, it seems like the car will die. After 200 km or more everything is fine again until next filling at the gas station. I must say that this happens only from time to time and only when I fill the reservoir full up.
    I have also noticed that sometimes it helps if I just open the reservoir cap (fuel filler cap) and then close it again, so You can hear the air which goes out.
    Otherwise the car works fine it has 45000 km and I visit the car service regularly.
    Also this is not very likely to be a problem with gasoline, it happens after visiting
    different gas stations.
  • arnalarnal Posts: 3
    It sounds to me like you are overfilling the gas tank, and failing to tighten the cap on the gas tank enough...that will cause the check engine light to go on...and all sorts of other problems as well. It also explains why the problem is not a function of gas, but of the way you are filling up.
  • OK, it sounds reasonable, but I'm still wondering how the gas tank could be overfilled?
    Is it full or is not full, that is the question! What makes the difference if everything is working as it must be. Obviously here is something that should be repaired or replaced. Also the way of filling is quite simple and always the same, I fill the gas until it stops going in the tank. But the problem is occasional.
  • arnalarnal Posts: 3
    how could the gas tank be overfilled? answer: if you fill it, and then pump a little more gas to get an even amount for payment (eg. if the cost of a full tank is $13.80, and you manually pump till $14.00), that's overfilling.

then there's the separate issue of failing to tighten the cap adequately: all this should be in your accent manual.

does the problem occur if you make a point of not filling it all the way? i would guess not.

it's very possible nothing needs to be repaired.
  • The gas tank cap was always tightened enough.

The car is still under warranty (we here have 3 years of warranty), I will took it to the service.

Probably You are right, I hope so. I like Hyundai and this is in fact the first problem I have with this make. I still have a Pony (Excel HB) also, for 13 years and believe it or not it is not much worse than when new. Absolutely no problems with it! So I just don't like to be dissapointed with Hyundai.
  • Um I have filled my tank until it pours out on the ground many times and have never had a problem. You may need a new fuel cap as the system is pressurized and it sounds as if it is not holding pressure. One other question. I was wondering why you chose the Accent over the Getz. Was the Getz available in your country when you purchased your Accent?
  • Now it is repaired. It was something wrong with vapor hose and fuel lines. Now it behaves normal, even if I fill the tank full as possible.

Why the Accent over the Getz? It is of the right size for me, Getz is smaller. Otherwise, Getz wasn't available in our country in 2000, I think it is newer for a year or two than Accent2000. It is probably a nicer car for the city and short distances, but Accent is a better choice if You often travel for some 100 km or more away from home. And finally, the Getz is only a bit cheaper than Accent.
  • My nephew sent me this link. He has a new Getz and has been very happy with it. It looks like a much sportier car than the Accent. I wish Hyundai would make a true small sports model for us here in the States.
    http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1923/article.html
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    I went down to my friends house and checked out how my old 00 Accent was doing. It now has a bit over 40k. No warranty repairs have been needed. Only the battery and a few brake light bulbs have died since I parted with the car at 25k. Everything is still in working order and it runs just as good as the day I bought it. The front brake pads are worn out and squeaking and the clutch pedal squeaks when you depress it. Other then that, the interior and exterior has held up well to the rigors of Florida sunshine and heat. That car is a darn good little car. Anyone who needs cheap transportation should really look at the Accent. I have no doubts in its ability to provide reliable transportation.
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    With all due respect, I think that nowadays any car should last 40k without any problems. Glad to hear that your Accent has provided reliable service to you. I didn't expect any less.
    You would think thats true, but in all honesty, it's not. The chances of running into some sort of problem in 40k is very easy. My sister had Honda buy back her 00 Odyssey due to multiple problems in only 17k and I traded in my 03 Suzuki Aerio at 9k after some very annoying problems that couldn't be fixed by the dealer. My old 00 Accent (I don't own or drive the car anymore; its owned by a close friend of mine so I was merely reporting on how it has held up) needed a new water pump and throw out release bearing by 22k. But anyway, I was simply showing Hyundais are capable of staying reliable after the newness wears off.
  • Hi All,
    I need reviews please. My situation is this.
    I live on the east coast harsh winters, specifically speaking of the snow. My main mode of transportation is a ford Mustang. As we all know it's a no go in the snow. I am speaking to a dealer now regarding a 1997 Accent. He says as it is front wheal drive it will be ok in the snow. This is my main purpose for the car (winter driving, snow conditionds). The asking price is $3,000 which is cheap as I only need it for snow conditions. Please advise if I am wasting my time here or if this car would be reliable to-from work in snow conditions. This is the only reason I am looking for it as a second vehicle. Please help anyone, I appreciate all comments and suggestions. Thanks very much in advance!
    Depends totally on how many miles it has and how well it was cared for. The Accent has a stout reliable engine, but the car you are looking at is 6 years old so who knows how it was cared for. Have a mechanic thoroughly check it over. With a good set of snow tires, the low power of the Accent should keep it well planted in slushy conditions. By the way, the 3k price sounds steep. $2k would be a more reasonable price.
  • Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!!!
    I have not gotten the information yet, I only looked at the car tonight after work. I don't know about the previous care. What do you think? The dealer has to look for the mileage he believes around 65,000 miles. Three thousand dollars then is too much to pay for this car?
    I need something for the snow as the Mustang is not capable of driving in these conditions?
    I understand it's not made for that. I just want something to take me to-from work because I am single and live and work on a rural route.
    Thanks again VERY MUCH for your advisements!!!!!!