Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Accent Hatchbacks

Comments

• boltguyboltguy Posts: 94
    I have dealt with exactly the same issue with my girlfriend's 01 Elantra. It says the timing belt is warranteed for 100,000 miles, yet the maintenance schedule has an R* next to the timing belt at 60K. My 03 Santa Fe's maintenance schedule has been revised to "replace timing belt at 60K" with no extra powertrain warranty on it. We decided to replace it at 60K on her Elantra to avoid any future powertrain warranty issues.

If you can have a knowledgeable, trusted mechanic inspect the timing belt, he/she could give you an estimate as to how long it will last. From what I've read on the internet, later model Hyundais timing belts have lasted around 80-90K. Whether you want to chance that is up to you.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    $350 is well within regular guidelines for the expense of replacing the timing belt. The timing belt is only covered under warranty up to 60k. If it breaks before that, then it would be replaced free of charge under warranty. If it breaks after 60k, its your repair bill. Replacing it as preventative maintenance is just like replacing your fuel filter, air filter, and spark plugs at the recommended intervals. Do you think they should give you those free too? So, to answer your question...No, the dealer isn't trying to rip you off.

As for the warranty holes, look at it this way: How many other companies would have replaced the auto tranny for the guy in message #1117? The warranty isn't perfect but it covers big ticket items that few were willing to cover until just recently. You have to expect to pay for maintenance on your car. Don't get maintenance confused with warranty.
  • Hi, It's my first time on the messages boards and my old 89 Mazda just died on me and I am considering a 2002 Hyundai. It's got 25,000miles on the clock and seller is asking just $5,000. It sounds like they are pretty reliable and that manufacturer's warranty is transferable. Is this correct?

Any advice would be much appreciated (I'm a poor grad student so a car that is gonna last for 4-5years without major work is vital right now)
  • The bumper-to-bumper (5/50k) IS transferrable to you; however the balance of the 10/100k powertrain warranty vaporizes. However, Accents are simple little cars, so they shouldn't cost too much to keep running if something breaks after that. Beyond that...well, who knows? Depends on hwo well the car was cared for.
    If the car was well cared for and never wrecked, grab it! $5k for a 2002 car with 25,000 miles is a good deal. The Accent is a very reliable car and the 5 year/60k warranty is fully transferable to you. That should give you some piece of mind while you are in college. I recently drove my old 2000 Accent (sold it to my friend) and it now has 43k and runs just like it did when I bought it new. The only thing it has needed since I sold it at 25k was a new battery at 38k and new front brake pads at 43k. It still feels solid and rattle free. I think the Accent is a great little basic transportation car.
  • ken127ken127 Posts: 5
    I changed the timing belt last week @ 69K along with a tuneup. The car was running fine and getting 39mPG. I've read the previous letters about the timing belt changes. The car started running rough within the first day of leaving the dealer, I brought it back and they said an engine sensor controlling the firing of spark was bad and they changed the spark plug wires (this maybe helped a little). I'm to bring the car back Tuesday to check the belt again but also to put in a $300 sensor. Can the belt be off 1 tooth and still run? I just don't feel good about this whole thing. Any thoughts?
    It is possible for the engine to run with the timing belt off slightly. It will run rough and it may have less power. If they are claiming its the coil pack though, that is highly possible. It will cause the engine to run rough too. But definitely make sure the timing is correct.
  • ken127ken127 Posts: 5
    I brought the 02 accenct back to the dealer to have the timing belt checked and a engine sensor put in if needed. I asked at least 3 times to check the belt first. They put the sensor in first and the car still ran rough. They asked what kind of gas I used and I asked them if they checked the belt. The belt wasn't checked and they went back to look at it. It was off 5 TEETH. At 7 teeth there would be engine damage. I still had to discuss the cost of the $300 sensor they put in. They finaly agreed to eat the cost of the sensor and labor. I'm glad the mechanic was honest.
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    Ken... I have a 2002 Hyundai Accent GL 5spd and its almost 1.75 years old with 47K miles. Aside from changing the oil every 5K miles, I haven't done any maintenance yet. I see you did your timing belt at 69K and a tuneup. Was that the first tuneup or did you have one at an earlier interval? My Accent is still running/starting smooth so I don't feel the need to maintain something that is not a problem at this stage. Thanks.
  • greg1greg1 Posts: 2
    I'm about to buy an 04 Accent. Any warnings? Am I foolish for picking it over the slightly-more expensive but better gas mileage Echo? And lastly, since I am getting a hatchback, do I want one with the rear window wiper or does it not help out that much? (ALso, does anyone in a snowy climate have any takes on how it handles in the snow. Obviously, I'd get snow tires for the winter.)
    Thanks!
    Greg
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    Your decision depends on how long you intend to keep the car. If you want to drive it until it falls apart, you are probably better off with the ECHO.
    I own a 2001 with now 90k miles and ZERO problems and an average 41.5MPG since new. All of thos with AC and AT.
    The Accent comes with a great warranty but delivers worse mileage and after the warranty expires I trust Toyota a little bit more.

I suggest you test drive both and decide after that and comparing your financing options.

Good luck with whatever car you end up with.
  • 5port5port Posts: 395
    greg1

Something Pulgo left out about the Accent :

1) Warranty

5 yrs - 60K Everything

10 yrs - 100K Powertrain

2) Free towing for 5 years

Kinda takes the sting out of "I dont know about the reliability". I've owned a Elantra GT hatch since 01 and would buy an Accent in a heartbeat. Yes, on a hatchback a rear wiper is a BIG plus. One wipe gets the rain/snow off and clears the window. Hyundais generally dont get the high mileage of other makes so you get your money back up front with value.
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    According to Edmunds TCO -True Cost to Own- the Accent is going to cost roughly $ 6000 more over 5 years, something worth to consider.

In my personal case, I will keep the Echo for at least 300k miles and I do not believe an Accent will survive this kind of mileage for that long, without replacing engine and or transmission.

Just my personal opinion.
    The Accent is a great basic car. It's solid and reliable. If I was looking at basic cars today, I would still choose the Accent over the Echo. To me, the Echo doesn't provide much more for its siginificantly higher price.

As for the rear wiper, get the GS model!! You won't be sorry. I bought the base L hatchback back in 2000 and was constantly annoyed by not being able to see out the back window when it was damp, raining or foggy. The rear defroster works rather slowly on this car, so a rear wiper would have come in real handy. You will also enjoy the armrest, cloth on the door panel, clock, and tachometer of the GS model (can't remember if the hatchback is now called GL, but either way, I'm talking about the midline model). Good luck on your buying process and let us know what you get.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    In JD Powers new Initial Quality Study, Accent ranks second in Compact Cars, behind Corolla and ahead of PT Cruiser (?) and Civic, and all others. Not too shabby!

P.S. Hyundai did very well overall, with two other vehicles in the top three for their categories and a great overall score that was actually ahead of nameplates like Toyota and Infiniti:

http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2004037
  • It looks positively hideous! I wish Toyota would put their excellent little 1.5 engine in a more attractive package. (Scion??)

The accent, especially in the 3-door GT package, looks sharp and has excellent amenities.

Best Wishes....
  • baber1baber1 Posts: 49
    Everything was fine until the fool ran the stop sign. I hit him with my 99 Accent GL at about 45MPH. Airbags went off and I didnt get a scratch, but my Accent is a total loss. Im going to miss it but tomarrow I take delivery of my new 2004 Elantra. I just couldn't resist the $2000 rebate! I got the car for almost the same I payed for the Accent in 99!! What a deal. They even gave me a new Sonata to drive until my Elantra is ready. I hope the Elantra runs as good as my Accent did. image
    Sorry to hear of your Accent's demise! I was hoping you would prove everyone wrong by driving that car to around 200k. But still, I think your Accent proved to be a reliable car, not to mention safe! Good luck on your new Elantra. I hope you keep the Elantra board up to date.
  • baber1baber1 Posts: 49
    The car was still in great shape. I know it would have made it to 200,000. The air bags worked good. When the bags went off it was like a slap in the face. The passenger bag cracked the windshield. I pick up my new Elantra tomarrow at 9:00 AM. image