Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Soul

Comments

• subjectivesubjective Member Posts: 62
    Now our dealer, Boniface Kia, Melbourne Fl. has turned against us by changing their story to say My wife and I were told before we signed the contract to purchase the car that this 2012 soul + manual did not have cruise control even though the window sticker showed that it did. This is not correct. Until we purchased the car by signing the contract, all the papers and issuing a bank cashiers check to them and preparing to leave the dealership did we find out that the car was missing the cruise control. In the Kia publication KIAMEDIA, on page 3 it clearly states that the 2012 Kia soul MANUAL has cruise control. This publication is dated August 17, 2011. So, showing on the window sticker that this car was suppose to have cruise control was not a misprint as Paul Stapelton, manager of the Kia Southeastern consumer affairs office states. What ever happened to the truth and integrity in business. The August 17, 2011 Kia publication states that the 2012 Kia Soul + manual has cruise control!
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    edited October 2011
    don't get me wrong, I hope you get things sorted out and wish you all the luck, but its just that I'm having a problem following your explanation.
    As you confirmed you did test drive it but you said the cruise was in a different position on the 2012 to a 2011, but according to the owners manual of the two years its in exactly the same place (it wouldn't be practical otherwise), but you don't have to use it to know its there, as you said you didn't actually operate the cruise.
    Also you stated you had a permanent injury on your right leg which cruise would be a big help, so again why would you not make sure it is there as its so important to you and also wouldn't an auto not be better for you in the first place than a manual?

As you stated it was on the window sticker, which appears in error but you have offered to pay the difference to go for the auto, so that should be acceptable by the dealer, as you said you only drove it out when you noticed it, so the vehicle is still brand new, so I can't see how the dealer could not just take the car back and make the adjustment for a + auto.
    Our salesman was in the car just prior to leaving the dealership showing my wife how to use the bluetooth then went to show her the cruise when he exclaimed, "where is the cruise?" There is no cruise! I don't believe he knew it was missing until this time. He said he didn't. Yes it should be acceptable to the dealer for me to pay the difference between the + auto and the+ manual and Kia should assist but neither will. Its no comfort to me for you to challenge every report I make and its also rather unreasonable. Ive been exposed to too many unreasonably people already at my dealership and Kia!
    One more thing. If you like to sniff out every little thing. Ill give you a Sherlock Holmes job. I read Kia's website many times in the 30 days prior to my purchase and there was no disclaimer on the + manual at that time and the 17 Aug 2011 publication of KIAMEDIA page 3 clearly states that the 2012 Kia Soul + manual has cruise control. So what happened? Did they run out of parts for the cruise from the supplier? Did they discover a technical problem on the manual + with cruise? Why did the 2011 + manual have cruise but the 2012 + manual does not. And one other correction. The position of the 2012 + auto cruise is on the bottom of the steering wheel and on the side of the 2011 steering wheel. Now if you can find the answers to these questions you are doing better than me. And I could not get any straight answeres from Paul Stapelton, mgr of the Kia SE consumer affairs office. And I don't accept his explanation that it was a missprint. Ive been lied to so often now, their noses should be over a foot long!
    I am happy to report that Paul Stapelton Mgr. of the SE Kia Consumer Affairs Ofc. and I have reached a settlement agreement which is a compromise to me. I now believe that he made an honest effort to work out a solution to my problem with the management of my dealership which was declined by them. I am disappointed in their misrepresentation of the truth. I still believe in the integrity of my salesman.
    Now I have answers to the questions you ask. The SE Consumer Affairs Mgr has clarified some facts. This dealer has the ability to issue a permanent plate with registration immediately and this was done before I found out shortly before leaving that there was no cruise control. I believe that the salesman also did not know this. At this point, since the plate and registration information had already been transmitted to the state, if the car was changed out it would under the law have to be sold as a used car in which it would be reduced in value. Kia was not willing to pay that difference and the dealer was not willing to take that loss. However it is obvious that the dealer management knew, from their statements, that this car did not have cruise control as shown on the window sticker before I purchased the car.
    Post # 36 disclaimer: We are not accepting low ball offer from Kia which in now way will assist us in getting cruise control for our car. My wife is furious! A prominent national CLASS ACTION law firm that has an excellent track record for large recoveries has been in communication with us that believes we have an excellent case against Kia with a high probility of recovery for the way we have been mistreated and breach of contract. We are considering this very seriously.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    A reminder... the Edmunds forums cannot be used to organize legal actions. Please do not make any posts along those lines as they will have to be removed. This would include sharing contact information for lawyers and the like.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation on this.
    OK, Fair enough. We traded in a 2011 Kia soul base for the 2012 Soul + Manual to upgrade to more options such as blue tooth, cruise control, etc. We use this car for grandchildren transport and 50 t0 100 mi economy trips. My wife, in her fury over our mistreatment by Kia, has entered this battle for our rights. She is smarter than me. She is a Georgia redhead with a Masters degree and made an A in statistics working towards her doctorate. She used to drive a Porsche when Porsche built cars for drivers rather than oversized rich people. The Kia Southern region office is in Atlanta so the mgr of that office should have some idea of the tenacity of Georgia redheads or if not soon will. Todays women are smart, well educated, know how to fight dirty, and will fight for their rights. If the mgr of the Kia Atlanta office decides he is going to try pushing around Georgis redheaded women he had better start by purchasing a good baseball cup!
    Kia Media has now posted the full "Features and options" plus specs and MSRP available for download in pdf. This is detailed info that maybe more clear than the main website with regards what is optional and packages.

http://www.kiamedia.com/secure/soul2012_features.html
  • bigcanoemanbigcanoeman Member Posts: 2
    FYI anyone, I have had my Soul ! for going on 2 years now. It has over 28,000 miles. It has been going on strong with no problems during this time. It goes back to the dealer for its periodic maintenance and lately to a local oil change place (dealer reccomended I do that since I live over 50 miles from the dealer) when due. We have a Honda Pilot but this is the car we take for any trips we go on since it is better on gas. Just my wife and I along with our dog go tripping about 6 times a year. I cannot hear so I cant appreciate the sound system, however before I went deaf I could hear it for about 6 months - it wa :) s really great. So my bottom line is, Great car, reliable to the Nth degree, comfortable for trips, travels well on interstates. Hope this helps out anyone out there wondering about the Soul.

• jbjtkbw00jbjtkbw00 Member Posts: 66
    I've got to agree with you. Regular maintenance does wonders and I'm just under 31k running great. I've had mine since July 22nd, 2010 and it's a workhorse. No complaints.
    the 4u with UVO system and sun roof. This in the new Misty Green.

• heatherhallheatherhall Member Posts: 1
    Wow! I've never seen a car with a manual transmission and cruise control. I didn't know they existed. Is there a reason you chose a manual instead of a automatic? I would think the automatic would be much easier to operate with a bad leg. Just curious...
    full specs, info and pricing now available on the KIA Canada website

http://kia.ca/pages/showroom/overview.aspx?model=soul
  • ben70ben70 Member Posts: 16
    None of the dealers in Phoenix have this model; only the Base & Plus. Has the Soul Exclaim been discontinued?
    edited November 2011
    no, people in other parts of the country are purchasing them. See the Kia Motors US website for details.
    today we traded in our 2008 Rondo EX and purchases a 2012 Soul 4u automatic in Mint (Alien in the US), some of the features included are: sunroof, UVO with back up camera, Infinity sound system with mood speakers; cruise control, sports-tuned suspension; 18" machine alloys.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    congratulations on your new baby! Be sure and come on here and let us know how she drives and handles.

Nice choice!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

thanks, here's a couple of shots of our new set of wheels

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    did you get the automatic? There's a guy here in this little town we live in in Idaho that bought a silver one. I talked to him in the Wal-Mart parking lot and he loves his Soul.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

yes, see reply #48
    some photos of the interior of my 2012 4u auto

night shot with the UVO on the Jukebox feature

• amysmamysm Member Posts: 4
    Been looking for a kia soul+ for several months now. A local dealer has the one I want with the upgrades I'm looking for. The msrp is 20,070. Sale price I am being offered is 18,978. Based on my online research I believe this to be $300 under invoice. (seems too good to be true) I will be leasing which I have never done before. I am being told the money factor is .00164. The residual is set at 56%@15k and 57%@12k . Lease is 39 months.

What do you experts think?
    No dealer inventory on Exclaim. Little on + and Base. Bait & switch for more expensive models. We wound up purchasing a Mazda.
    dealer installed side window visors and hood guard. You will notice that this Canadian hood guard is not the same design as the one you would purchase from a US Kia dealer. A lot of US Soul owners prefer the Canadian design.

• choochoomanchoochooman Member Posts: 38
    thinking about buying a new car and i don't see alot about this car what is the ride like with the 18" wheels verses 16, also wind and road noise and what are people getting mpg. also what problems are owners having thanks
    there's lots out there just not on this forum. I have the 18" rims and didn't find much of a difference, but drive each size and see what you think. I find the vehicle quieter than my previous one (Rondo) at highway speeds. Ride, wind noise etc you have to judge for yourself as it all depends what you are comparing it too.

I don't get concerned about the mileage till have got some miles on the vehicle. I figure it out for about a year and not base it strictly off one or two tank fulls. On the whole most people are pleased with there mileage but there is always exceptions, so many variables to be taken in - weather, how you drive, where you drive, altitude, time of the year, etc, etc.

I've had no problems so far (5 months ownership), from what I've read a lot is because they don't read the owners manual (same with UVO owners manual - I have the UVO system) thoroughly but there is always exceptions, but not anything major that would be a pattern.
  • amysmamysm Member Posts: 4
    We bought ours in Nov for a teen driver but we all love it. Its fun to drive. We have the Soul + with 16" tires. We consistently get 27-29 mpg just driving locally. I don't find it does much better on the highway since its already shifted to its last gear by the time you get the speed up. Its a light vehicle so there is some wind on the highway, but we love it and would buy it again.
  • nh4evernh4ever Member Posts: 5
    Looking at the Soul to replace my Chevy Malibu Maxx. Wondering how it handles in the snow with stock 16 inch tires? I assume well with Front wheel drive but would like to hear from owners.
    Keep the shiny side up and thanks! :shades:
    No snow here in Phoenix. Couldn't get the Soul Exclaim locally so we bought a Mazda5 Micro/Minivan instead. Can't say enough good about it. Honda Odyssey has many deadly features including faulty brakes. Mazda was more than $10K less expensive than the Odyssey and the brakes work too.
    I got the front windows tinted (32% legal for Ontario - the installer said the OEM rear privacy glass is 20%) and also put a rubberize coating on the rocker panel.

• barryk2barryk2 Member Posts: 6
    Vehicle looks great! I like the window shades and hood protector. We are not quite ready, as of yet, to buy, but the Soul is still the one we like when the looking gets serious. I got on Canada Soul site and discovered a couple of colors not available in the U.S.....the great Denim Blue is awesome with the Olive Green close behind....however, a callback from Kia told me that there are no plans to offer here. Oh, well....I'll keep checking out the Soul and a couple of others until we can pull the trigger. Have a good week.....
    Olive Green is called Moss in the US. Denim is not available in the US. My colour is called Alien in the US.

What others are you looking at?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter is looking to interview someone who is paying more than 10% interest on a new car loan. Please reply to [email protected] today, Wednesday, May 23, 2012.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• shaunyfshaunyf Member Posts: 1
    Im looking to purchase one in the UK but have only found what looks to be this colour on one site but not sure if it is exactly the same, can I ask what the exact name of the colour is ?

kia ive found
    Actually, I'm looking in the U.S. Canada Kia responded back to myquestion and they said there could be a warranty issue since Kia Canada and Kia U.S. are 2 separate companies. It's not time for me yet to purchase, so I'll see what is coming in the next 7 months.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    edited June 2012
    "I got on Canada Soul site and discovered a couple of colors not available in the U.S.....the great Denim Blue is awesome with the Olive Green close behind....however, a callback from Kia told me that there are no plans to offer here."

I'm also thinking about buying a new Soul (or Forte 5-door or Mazda3 5-door) and I took a look at the colors (excuse me, "colours") on the Canadian site...Thanks a lot!!! =(

Denim is a great looking color and I actually like the Saddle Brown and Misty Green. They offer 11 colors in Canada and only 8 here in the U.S. I don't understand why they'd offer fewer choices in a larger market?

I also noticed that their top-of-the-line model, 2.0L 4u Luxury, comes with a solid black interior. It has black leather seats and a monotone black dash & door panels. But here in the U.S., you get black leather seats with the Premium Package on the Exclaim(!) model, but it still has the black/tan dash and interior panels used on all Exclaim models!?

I have an irrational dislike of tan/beige interiors, so the Exclaim isn't an option for me. But if they had the solid black interior offered in Canada, it would definitely be my pick! As it stands, the Plus(+) model with Audio Package and Sunroof/Fog Light package is what I'm looking at. To be honest, I'm not crazy about the 'Soul' fabric seat pattern in the Plus models, but it's not a deal-breaker. Note to Kia- solid interior colors without words or patterns would be great, look into it!!!

My color preference would be Clear White if it didn't look so cheap and plain with the black exterior moldings and black inserts in the front and rear fascia. The 16" wheels don't help the look either. The polished 18" ones from the Exclaim and the body-color front/rear inserts would look awesome in Clear White...but they don't offer and if they did, it would still have the black/tan interior. So if I buy a Soul, it'll be Molten (Red)...and I'll probably look into aftermarket wheel upgrades to at least a 17" set.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    I study online all the time, and I like the Mazda5, Dodge Journey, 2013 Kia Forte 5 door, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT or Touring and Volkswagen Jetta wagon, possibly TDI. We've had 2 Subarus over the years..a 1972 and 1987 that we liked. Subaru has upgraded a lot, and I'm sure the Impreza 5 door, Forester and Outback Sport will be part of our short list when we're able to consider later in the year. I must tell you though that I still notice the Soul and view it with pleasure every time I see one. Have a great week, and take care.
    I didn't think this site was to be used to sell a product...especially a non-auto one!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Got it. Thanks for catching that. Always helps to have extra eyes. :)
  • bigcanoemanbigcanoeman Member Posts: 2
    2010 Kia Soul Exclaim, bought in November 2009. Now has 40,000 miles. Average MPG is 25 MPG on trips and 23 MPG around town. Times back to dealer for problems, NONE. Oil Change every 3000 miles. Preferred vehicle to take on trips from Atlanta to Memphis. Comfort factor is adequate. Other vehicle is Honda Pilot that sits in garage quite a bit because of low MPG compared to Soul. My experience so far. Would I buy another, YES, only now I am on fixed income and intend to keep this one as long as it keeps going. :)
  • rennie4rennie4 Member Posts: 55
    Pleas guys i need your help. I have a 2012 Kia Soul. Last month my air conditioning, windshield wipers and cooling fan stopped working. I took the car to kia but they could not duplicate the problem. They checked all the fuses and said everything was ok. a month later it happened again and none of those things work again. my local dealer will not give me a loaner and corporate kia is giving me the run around and is not giving me the treatment i think i deserve. Anyone has any idea what could be the cause of this?
  • accord1942accord1942 Member Posts: 7
    I wanted to just look at a Kia Soul !. Stopped at my local dealer, Napelton, in West Palm Beach. They have zero Souls in stock. Salesman says he has a list of potential customers that want to look at a Soul !. What gives with this is this true. Also does anyone have any ideas of changes might be on the 2013 Kia Soul. Are Kia Souls that popular.
    P.S. Recently drove the 2013 Elantra GT. Nice car with lots of bells and whistles, but sort of unexciting to drive. I am 70 and just want fun car for my old age. Think a Soul ! might be what would do the trick.
    its quite possible due to the very high demand in the US with supply having trouble meeting it. Sales for 2011 were up 52% over 2010 and for the first six months of this year the sales are up 15%. There is only one factory that supplies the rest of the world other than China.

not much changes for 2013 as it had a major makeover for 2012. Here is the changes:

Revised KIA badge on hood, lift gate and steering wheel
    Dark chrome accent ring around grille
    Bluetooth with steering-wheel mounted audio controls standard on Base manual transmission model
    Power folding outside mirrors standard for Exclaim
    Clear White exterior color available for Exclaim !
    Dune exterior color available for Plus + (now offered on all trim levels)
    Molten, Titanium and Moss available for Base (now offered on all trim levels)

I'm 68 and like the ease of entry and exit, here's my wheels - 2012 4u

US changes for 2013 (as it received an extensive makeover for 2012 very little changes for 2013)

- Revised KIA badge on hood, lift gate and steering wheel
    - Dark chrome accent ring around grille
    - Bluetooth with steering-wheel mounted audio controls standard on Base manual transmission model
    - Power folding outside mirrors standard for Exclaim
    - Clear White exterior color available for Exclaim !
    - Dune exterior color available for Plus + (now offered on all trim levels)
    - Molten, Titanium and Moss available for Base (now offered on all trim levels)

what's new for Canadian 2013 Souls:

- cruise control added to 2u manual transmission
    - electric folding sideview mirrors added to 4u Luxury
    - upgraded leather for leather wrapped steering wheel
    - 1.6L ECO trim deleted (it never made it to market)
    - 2.0L 2u ECO trim added
    - Retro and Burner 4u models deleted
    1.6L MT - $16,795
    1.6L AT - $19,195

2.0L 2u MT - $19,195
    2.0L 2u AT - $20,395
    2.0L 2u ECO AT - $29,995

2.0L 4u AT - $22,895
    2.0L 4u Luxury AT - $25,595
  • accord1942accord1942 Member Posts: 7
    Nice wheels, I am even more interested in the Soul. I think I will wait for the 2013 Exclaim. Thanks for your response. One other thing. Edmunds says the car has a lot of road noise. What do you think?
    that's something you have to judge for yourself. It would all depend on what you are used to or comparing it too. The 2012 models are more quieter than the 2011 models as this was one of the areas that they made improvements too.
    I suppose it always could be quieter (you could do more soundproofing yourself as some people have done).

I owned a 2008 Rondo prior to my Soul and at freeway speeds find it quieter than that vehicle. I find at 110 kmph I don't have to increase the volume on my UVO system or raise my voice to talk to my wife and it certainly has plenty of power at that speed for passing big rigs for example. The hp rating on the 2.0L Soul was the same as the 2.4L on my Rondo.

Keep in mind it is a hatchback which always tend to be a little more noisier than a sedan.