Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Soul

Comments

• stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    edited March 2010
    Close enough--the engine and drivetrain in the Soul are straight out of the Hyundai Elantra, which CR rates as "well above average" in reliability (comparable to Civic and Corolla). There will probably be a few minor issues with trim and rattles since the body is in its first year of production, but I wouldn't doubt the overall reliability of the Soul (or the Elantra, for that matter).
  • Thanks for the quick response. That really helps because I can look up the Elantra in CRs and see that the ratings are excellent.

- The Soul has two engines (1.6L and 2.0L). The Elantra has the 2.0L. Where does the 1.6L engine come from? Are the chassis from the 1.6 and 2.0 the same? What about the 1.6L manual transmission? (Guess which model I'm looking at ;).
    - I've read about paint chipping/rusting problems. How widespread are these?
    - I've also read several complaints about the Kia timing belts breaking and damaging the engine. Is this a prevalent issue?
    - Do Kia's go 200K+?
    edited March 2010
    I think the 1.6 is from the Rio/Accent. The timing belt does need to be replaced @ 60,000 miles according to the owner's manual, and I'm a stickler for that myself--one reason I eventually got a Fit instead of the Soul was that the Fit uses a chain instead. I would think that a belt breaking earlier than that would be a warranty issue, but I don't speak for the company.

The platform for all Soul models is supposedly a widened version of the Rio, though I don't know how thoroughly modified it is--I do know that the Soul has much better crash test ratings than the Rio. I think the suspension calibrations are the same for both the 1.6 and 2.0, though the wheels and tires are different--so there would be some difference in ride & handling. I've heard about some of the paint problems as well as a few issues with easily damaged interior surfaces on early production models--not sure if they're still there.

Kia's quality has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years, as has Hyundai's. Whether any particular car will go 200k is highly dependent on how well it's maintained, but Kia built the very inexpensive (and frequently neglected) Ford Festiva and Aspire for the US market in the '80s and early '90s, and there are still some of them on the road.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    according to KGIS the 1.6 uses a timing chain and the 2.0 a timing belt.
  • magiraffemagiraffe Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    I have been researching both of these cars (2010 new) and was wondering if anyone has test driven them both or even one or the other and have any comments as to which you prefer and why...noise, ride, options/accessories,etc...thank you for any insight you can give me....
    edited March 2010
    I drove both and bought a Fit Sport (actually a 2009 model, but it's identical to the 2010).

Soul+:
    smoother and quieter ride
    more hiproom and shoulder room
    nicer interior quality
    much better equipped (better stereo, bluetooth, etc.)

Fit Sport:
    better handling (more agile)
    more versatile cargo area
    no timing belt replacement
    better resale value due to the Honda name

Like I said, I bought the Fit, but the Soul is a very nice vehicle. I posted my review of the Soul+ here and my reasons for purchasing the Fit instead here.
  • extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    edited March 2010
    The Fit is like driving a small car in the shape of a minivan. The Soul is like driving a small truck or SUV. They are completely different when you drive them. The visibility is much superior in the Soul and it has the feeling a of much more expensive vehicle. I got a Soul last week and I prefer driving it over my wife's 04 V6 Honda Accord. The 18 inch wheels give a harsher ride but the 16's are quite comfortable. The Kia has better warranty but the Honda might be more reliable - it's a toss. The Soul won't be mistaken for any other car, but the Fit gets better gas mileage. Try them both.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,196
    I really enjoyed the test drive in the Soul. The only issue was a bit of choppiness on expansion joints and the prospect of long interstate trips among the 18 wheelers. The seats were great and there was plenty of room for luggage/golf clubs with the back seat folded. All in all I was impressed.
  • I am leaning towards the soul + or !...i live in north central ma and was wondering how the Soul handles in the snow and ice....with the 16" alloy wheels and the 18" alloy wheels.....
  • inharmswayinharmsway Posts: 153
    I rented a 2010 hyundai accent last week, and the owners manual says to change the timing belt at 90000 miles. I was surprised.
    You say companies don't pay any attention to their customers, now's your chance to get in your two cents worth on the Soul. They want your input and it will be passed onto the product manager. Check it out at:

http://kia-buzz.com/?p=4208
  • extech2extech2 Posts: 120
    I bought a Soul Plus automatic 3 weeks ago. I'm very happy so far. The best features are the high seating position, excellent visibility, peppy engine, responsive transmission, precise steering and all the interior details. I haven't checked the gas mileage yet. I would improve on the contrast on the radio display. The driver's seat should go back a bit more. The ride is excellent with the 16 inch wheels.
    I like this car as it is. However, if the factory would install the larger, 2.4 liter engine and a 6-speed automatic trans. with paddle shifters, the Soul could become an icon and take its place alongside the Mini Cooper S, the Mazdaspeed 3, and the Volkswagen GTI. It has enormous potential, with its small footprint accompanied by lots of room inside (for a car only 161 inches long). I've driven all the Civics and the small Scions, the small Mazdas, and none of them made an impression on me. Then I drove a Soul and bought one the next week. Bear in mind, I didn't need another car - we had three for the two of us - but I got the Soul only because I enjoyed driving it more than the others: Tacoma, Accord, and VW GTI.
    thats good extech2, but you need to post it at KIA Buzz on the link I provided in my posting, so the info can be passed onto their product manager. I don't work for KIA I'm just provided the link so you can pass on your comments.
  • tabbyjtabbyj Posts: 6
    This is something that I was interested in also, especially after this past winter! Until someone has a chance to respond you can look on youtube for a couple videos. Just type in Kia Soul in snow. From what I could tell, it seems like it did a fairly decent job in snow.
  • rosefrosef Posts: 3
    Kia U.S. Coverage
    2010 Kia Soul Recognized on 'Coolest New Cars Under $18,000' List by Kelley Blue Book's Kbb.com
    [Trading Markets (CA) (Online), 6/23/2009]
    Kia Motors America (KMA) today announced the all-new 2010 Soul urban passenger vehicle was named to the 2009 Top 10 Coolest New Cars Under $18,000 list by Kelley Blue Book's kbb.com, the leading provider of new car and used car information. The Soul joined Kia Motors' ever-expanding lineup in March and was lauded for being cool, affordable ride with a growing emphasis on personality, versatility and technology. "Soul's personality really has made an impact with consumers and the media, who are realizing you don't have to spend a lot of money to make a statement," said Michael Sprague, vice president of marketing, KMA. "We are pleased that Soul is being recognized for its playfulness and versatility but also that it is appreciated for its economical attributes that affect real world purchase decisions."…Soul stands out from the crowd with modern, unique styling aimed toward the young and young-at-heart and offers a unique combination of style, value and personalization options. An available Audio Upgrade Package includes speaker lights that can pulse to the beat of the music or add mood lighting to the interior cabin, enhancing the overall personal lounge feeling. The Soul+ offers funky black cloth seats with "glowing" Soul logo inserts while the Soul! trim comes with a distinctive sand-black interior with houndstooth-patterned inserts, and the Soul sport presents a bold red-black interior trim with red-trimmed cloth seats and metal-finish interior accents.
    2010 Kia Soul
    [The Tribune (TX) (Online), 6/22/2009]
    By Wilson Calvert
    What it is: If you’ve watched much TV in the last month or two, then you’ve probably seen Kia’s ad campaign to help launch the brand new Kia Soul. It features hamsters running in hamster wheels on roads all across a city when a shiny red Kia Soul pulls up playing some loud hip-hop music. The tag line in the commercial is “A new way to roll,” and Kia has definitely aimed a car at the youth market. With the great success of Scion’s xB (the one that looks like a toaster), boxy is definitely in vogue…If you feel the need to find “a new way to roll” then the Kia Soul should definitely be on your test drive list. Kia also provides a 10-year, 100,000-mile powertrain warranty which proves Kia is going to back up their product. Compared to its competitors, the Soul offers the best all-around package when factoring in fun-factor, usefulness and price. The Soul should prove accessible to all demographics just as the Scion xB has (Who will be driving the next xB that you see, a backwards-hat teenager or his grandmother?) and is already proving to be an early hit for Kia.

Kia Soul 4U Retro review: Little box full of big surprises
    [Kia World (Blog) (Online), 6/23/2009]
    I’ve had my Kia Soul for over a month now and I thought I’d share my experiences with the prospective/future Soul buyers in hopes of answering most of the questions and easing some of the doubts they might have…Kia Soul was exactly what I was hoping to see here. Yes, finally we got a great, modern, funky looking car on our hands. And it was available now, not in some distant future. My Mazda3 hatch needed a new owner and my Plymouth Voyager was long ready to go, so to the nearest Kia dealer I went, hoping to fall in love with the Soul as soon as I meet it in person. And love at first sight it was! I honestly thought the car looked awesome in real life. And so much bigger than what I expected. Short test drive followed and the second one a few days later, once my excitement cooled off. I always do this. Just in case. I was sold. I fell in love with a Dune/Vanilla color and two-tone charcoal/cream interior with hounds tooth accents. I loved everything about it, but if I had to describe it with just one word, I would have to exclaim that finally I was buying a car that was DIFFERENT!...
    March, 2009. Tacoma, Washington. The first all new Kia Soul barely debut at Car Pros Kia of Tacoma before the crossover-vehicle soared off of the lot. Car Pros, which had interested clients on a waiting list since the vehicle’s announcement, quickly sold the first Soul in the nation.
    Kia Motors America announced the North American debut of the Soul at the 2008 Los Angeles Auto Show. The Soul, a once concept vehicle, was projected to arrive as early as 2010. To the publics’ pleasure, it debuted as a 2009 model. Following the addition of the midsize SUV, the Borrego, to the Kia line-up, the Soul offers even more options to savvy consumers.
    While other dealer’s are struggling, Car Pros Kia continues to flourish primarily with the sales and service of new and certified pre-owned imports. The family owned and involved dealer continues to offers low-cost sales and service without sacrificing customer care. While Car Pros remains committed to ongoing customer satisfaction, savvy buyers are naturally receptiveness to the Kia brand. Consumers lean towards Kia as their import favorite as Kia offers chic new designs, fuel efficiency, minimal initial investment and low ongoing cost of ownership. For additional information about Car Pros Kia of Tacoma visit http://www.kiatacoma.carpros.com/
    The Soul playfully conforms to the edgy styling of the modern Kia, while offering even more options for those looking to personalize their vehicle and ownership experience. There are more external and internal styling and package options than any Kia ever offered before. “The Soul is for those who love individuality but don’t like to be categorized by finding the next best thing,” said Michael Sprague, vice president of marketing, KMA. The Soul is attracting the adventurer at heart, especially those who have a good handle on their pocket books and want custom styling and a low cost of ownership at the same time.
    ###
  • cars1977cars1977 Posts: 2
    Bought mine two weeks ago. This is the second car I have ever owned and I"m sooo happy with it. I would like to make one complaint, but please know I wouldn't want to get my money back. I love this car.

With the base model. there is no remote entry-I have to use the key. Unfortunately, there is only one keyhole in the entire car, so I always have to go back to the driver's door if I want to lock the car. ugh. Have a toddler that requires loading and unloading, don't like this.

EVERYTHING else is golden. Love my Kia!
    2011 prices and info is now posted on the KIA US regular website

http://www.kia.com/#/soul/explore/360-views-and-colors-exterior/
  • I can't believe there is no one talking about this car when it is selling so well!! I suppose that can be seen as a good thing since it means there aren't a bunch of angry owners looking to vent about problems....