Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Soul

Comments

• zureidazureida Member Posts: 1
    I got a Kia Soul on April 2nd. on April 3rd I was back on the dealer for service. Today, after 4 months with my car I've been in the customer service 5 times and problem is still the same. I need to move side to side the steering wheel constantly to drive right. Alignaments (3 and goes for the 4th) does not solve the situation and the car goes to the sides constantly. I saw this same problem in other review posted on this forum. Seems like this is a defect Kia hasn't corrected. Also seats are veeery noisy. Back seat was corrected and now front seat has the same frustrating situation. Anyone else had notice the wheel steering problem?
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    find you description a bit confusing "I need to move side to side the steering wheel constantly to drive right" is the vehicle pulling to the left or the right?

It maybe an adjustment but its not a defect, I've no problem with mine and also no problem with the seats. What exactly do you mean by very noisy - squeak, rattle or ?

I haven't notice much problems in the alignment area on other forums, the odd one has had an alignment and then its solved. Also the odd squeaky seat but usually its usually just loosing the base bolts and re-tightening which solved most of them. It certainly hasn't been an epidemic with these two problems, but sorry you are encountering it.
    edited September 2012
    the Gwangju Plant - 251 acres, building area - 4,718,809 sq. ft. They also build the Rondo and Sportage as well as truck, buses, military vehicles, engine blocks and heads.

• thanhhongthanhhong Member Posts: 3
    If it happen again (3rd. time), before you take your car to the dealer, email or send certified/return receipt mail to KIA, not the dealer. Keep that receipt in case you need to have that later.
    By the law (lemon law) if the dealer could not fixed your car 3 times in 1 year with same problem, Kia have to buy your car back or they replace with new car for you.
    Remember, let Kia know if it happen again at the 3rd. times.
  • accord1942accord1942 Member Posts: 7
    I am interested in this car but no dealer seems to have one in their inventory. What gives, is it so popular that no one seems to have one to show me?
    basically yes, the plant is struggling to meet the demand in the US (not sure if that's where you are located), in fact they took 25% of Canada's production to help with this and here in Canada it is very difficult to get one too.

To give you some idea for the US in 2009 they sold 31,621 units; 2010 67,110 (so double); in 2011 sold 102,267 and now this year to the end of September and still three months to go they have sold 93,356.
    Now as a manufacturer if you base production of previous years sales and add a projecting increase for the following year and then it takes off it leaves you in a tough position to meet that massive of an increase. There is only so much capacity at the plant, however, at this moment the plant that I showed the picture of above is currently being expanded to have the capacity to increase production by 120,000 units annually, but keep in mind the Soul is not the only vehicle built at this plant. It will be a big help in the near future but it doesn't happen overnight. Manufacturers try to have at least a 50 day capacity to stay ahead, for the Soul its probably less than half that.

This may not help your current situation, but KIA is well aware of the problem. You may have to increase your search to cover a larger area or be patient for a dealer to locate your specific model you want. Which model are you interested in?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to Hyundai and Kia owners who agree or disagree with the latest controversy over MPG. If you own a Hyundai or a Kia and would like to speak to a reporter about your experience with your car's fuel economy, please send your daytime and evening contact info to [email protected] no later than Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET.
  • ang33iefang33ief Member Posts: 63
    I just bought a used 2012 soul plus with 7,200 miles. When I got it home I can not find a way to get at the spare tire, does it have one? I read in the book something about a unit to inflate the tire if it goes flat? There is no tab in the rear to lift up any thing to look and see what is in the wheel well?? Price paid $15,000 plus tax and title. This does have the auto transmission.
    a compact spare in not standard in the US Soul Plus, it comes with the mobile inflator kit. There is a string tab on the rear edge to lift up the cover (unless it was broken off by the prior owner), check out this photos as you will see it and will also see the cargo organizer that sits below that cover (this is a Canadian model but its similar to the US Plus model)

Thanks, the picture was great, I guess I could go to salvage yard for a spare, I have not looked under yet, been sick. Tomorrow I will check it out, I was surprised to find out I had a rear view camera. Does the UFO radio have a GPS?
    glad to help, you can also buy the complete compact spare tire kit online for around the $200 range (US).
    No sure what UFO is, never heard of it, do you mean UVO? If so, no it doesn't you have the navigation unit that is in a premium package option in the exclaim model to have that feature.
    Also if you have the UVO system then you also have the Infinity sound system with the 8 speakers including a sub-woofer and also the front door lighted speakers (that is all part of the audio upgrade package when buying new).

Yes its uvo, thanks again. It looks just like the picture you sent. What good work you do, I am 79 years old and the wife the same, she loves the car. Our other is a lexus which she says she will sell when I die. Thats how much she likes it, so easy to get around in parking lots and plenty of pep. She has not started on programing the radio yet but her eyes lighted up when I told her about the juke box thing. The rear view camera is nice also. I believe I got a fair price since it was traded in at a dodge dealer and they seem to know nothing about how to get to the spare or anything else. I am 6'4'' am able to get into and out very easy. I had looked around at two dealerships and they had only one at the dealerships and it was the highter priced one. They must be selling well, seems the writeups here are good. I will take her to the local kia dealer to have them fix the pull up thing in the rear, inside, will ask them to help my wife program the radio because it seems like a lot to know. If there is any thing else you can tell me, please do. Thanks again-that what these forums are all about-to help people, Harry in central florida
    The SAT section of the radio works, is this something I will have to pay for somewhere down the line? Harry
  • barryk2barryk2 Member Posts: 6
    Good to hear you like your Soul.....I, too, live in central Florida (Sebring) and continue to follow the Soul until I'm able to get one. I like the height and ease of entry. Continue to enjoy....this forum is terrific.
    edited November 2012
    thanks glad to help, I'm 11 years younger than you and live in Canada, we have friends in St. Petersburg.
    There should be a book on the UVO system that comes with the car along with your owners manual and warranty book. The UVO is very easy to use, however, I do not use all the features only the radio, jukebox and USB port, I have no use for the bluetooth feature. I don't bother with satellite as I do not feel like paying a monthly fee to listen to music when I have such a vast library of my own music that I keep on a flash drive and store in the Jukebox, then I just flip back and forth between the two just like two radio stations.
    If your SAT is working now then it could be because the previous owners was paying for it, so maybe it didn't cancel when he sold the car. If you really want it, wait for it to finish and then the company will be back to you to try to get you to subscribe and then you get good deals, don't always accept the first. Normally when the car is new you get a free subscription for 3 months, they are still trying to get me to subscribe with good offers and periodically they also give free service for two weeks, which perhaps could be the reason yours is working at present as mine is working now but expires at the end of this week. So if you try it next week and it doesn't work you will know why.
    Yes the back-up camera is great.
    Here's the Jukebox showing copying a track from a mp3 CD to the storage. It will not copy from a standard pre-recorded CD it has to be an mp3 conversion. You can also copy from a flashdrive too. (right click on picture and select "view image" to see full picture - that's in Firefox)

Here's a current picture of mine (2012 Soul 4u) Hard to see in the picture but it also has a sunroof.
    Yesterday I went to the local dealership to have an oil change and tire rotation, also to have the string tab fixed. Quite an experience. When the car was finished I asked about the tab being fixed. The service lady said "the manager told her that there was no tab for a reason, being so many of them were broken on the 2011's that they did not put them on the 2012. I questioned this and the manager was called, he said I will look in the spects book. I had just looked at a 2013 on the showroom floor with the pull tab. He went to the car pulled up the carpet with a screwdriver went away and came back with something that looks like a rubber band but strong. He placed it into the hole and it works, even tho its not the correct item. He had mentioned before he placed the band in, I would have to order a new floor mat. I wonder why he did not. When I came home I sent an email to the dealership complaining about this treatment, will keep you posted.
    they did not put them on the 2012 - you should have asked then how do they open the lid if this is the case :confuse: :D
    Yes I did ask them before the manager fixed it and they said with a screwdriver?? It was very weird, I can not wait to receive an answer to my complaint and wonder what they will say.
    edited November 2012
    yes that's a bit of a dumb reply. I'm actually a bit surprised that KIA didn't just put in a finger notch on that cover, which is what they do on the Rondo, at least that way nothing would beak.

However, that cover is pretty light so the only way the loop would break is trying to lift it with something heavy on top of it. If mine ever broke I would be more inclined to replace it with something a bit more substantial like a small knob or small t-handle, I wouldn't bother with warranty on something like that (it would only be a few bucks and it would cost me more in gas to go to the dealer - I'm 45 minutes away, one way), otherwise you are just getting the same thing back again - just a thought!
    Harry here again, how do you light up the speakers?? I see the dial on the left that says mood or mode and radio but what lights up. Of course I have not driven it at night but I would think I could see it in the day light. Thanks Harry
    it can be difficult to see in the day, and its not really as effective anyway. It is explained in your owners manual. Depends on the setting whether its going to the pulse of the music or in the mood setting. The + and - toggle switch is increasing or decreasing the intensity. There is no mention of radio just OFF, MUSIC and MOOD.
    It only works on the two front door speakers. Need a strong beat to show in the MUSIC setting. MOOD cycles through about 6-8 different colours, but you can lock onto one if you wish.
    thanks, I think you took the wrong picture but you are correct there is no mention of radio, when it gets warm at night I will go out and try it, I was looking at the dash speaker and thinking, that would distract my vision if it changed colors. I will consecrate on the door speakers. Thanks again you are very helpful. My wife tells everyone she know that every woman should have a kia soul. She just toots around town and in the parking lots so easy, she likes the easy to turn and the smallness of the vehicle and she is 79 also. Harry
    edited December 2012
    no I didn't its just that you only see half the picture on this column. Just right click on the photo and select view image. (Firefox) or if you use Chrome, right click and select open image in a new tab

If you set in the mood, its like having foot-well lighting and you get to pick which colour you want too. :)
    ok, here I go again, I have the eco package, as I read it says I have sg, stop and go, what does that mean? I know it gives me auto on lights and larger tires but the other I do not understand. Harry
    edited December 2012
    are you sure, because by now you shouldn't have to ask that question. If it has ISG (idle stop and go) then it shuts down the engine each time you stop providing it meets certain conditions, so do you have this feature or are you getting it confused with ACTIVE ECO?

Sure wish this forum would allow you to provide your location and what you are driving with each posting. I had to backtrack to remember what vehicle you purchased.
    It was a 2012 Soul + model, that vehicle never had a ECO PACKAGE (it was only on the 1.6L model that year), its only become available as an option for the 2013 + models.
    I guess I have the active eco thing because the engine does not stop, I have the push button on the dash which turns on a light that says eco, which I assume means it is using less gas when the light is on. I should read my book, you are correct.
    when you active it, it tweaks the transmission and engine for maximum economy, but at the cost of performance. I can certainly know when its on, I haven't found its been of much help in economy for my use, but this could vary depending on the persons driving.

When you push the button, it will stay on even when you shut the engine off, so you don't have to keep turning it on each time you drive the car, you will also have a reminder light on your gauges.

• chevy3400chevy3400 Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2013
    Have a drawn interest in 2013 Soul. Can't seem to find a weight on it. Would also be interested in any feedback on test drives and ownership from anyone. Does the 1.6 L engine have enough power for the 6 speed manual transmission?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I drove the 2013 Soul with 6AT and it had plenty of power for my needs. But I don't feel the need for speed much anymore. Should be even peppier with the manual. I recommend that you take the car for a test drive to make sure it has enough power for you.
    Soul 1.6L manual - 2615 lbs; automatic - 2,707 lbs.

Yes it has plenty of power for that vehicle (from what I've read from owners on various forums), but you have to try it, it all depends on what you expect based on previous vehicles.
    I have the 2.0L model.

You can find out all the info you want at the Kia Motors US website, that is if you live in the US or in Canada at the Kia Canada website.
    Thanks for the replies. Will be test driving one in the near future; kind of excited about it. Be nice to get back shifting a standard transmission, since my 84 Mazda GLC. I would hope the shifting would be as easy and simple as it was.
  • iamgarygnuiamgarygnu Member Posts: 41
    FWIW I leased the Soul last week - ! (exclaim), Premium. I REALLY like it. I leased it as a business vehicle - as it is a rolling box I am having it wrapped. Turns out I like it far more than I thought I would. I admit, I'm a bit of a car snob (I just got my 5 Series last April). Yeah, the 5 has some "standard" features you can't get on the soul, like power seats and of course my beloved heated steering wheel, and the 5 rides very zen-like - The Soul on the other hand is MUCH lighter - so the 164 hp engine that could is zippy - it's only 2 wheel drive (nice big 18" wheels), decent 6 speed transmission, and I LOVE the glowing speaker lights (love it or hate it i guess).
    The heated seats work fairly well. The power folding mirrors are fine. Moonroof, check. All in all, I really like the Soul - far more than I thought I would.
    I ultimatley won't be driving it at work, however for those times that I do, well, I won't mind - and in fact, I kind of look forward to it.
    I will post separately on the GPS...
  • iamgarygnuiamgarygnu Member Posts: 41
    Hi All,
    I'm hoping some folks can chime in and help me - I got my Soul one week ago today - and REALLY like it.
    the GPS voice started out perfectly, and the second day I drove it, it intermittently went from very clear to sounding garbled. At times i thought i heard static, as is from a loose connection. when the voice would get garbled, the chime would also sound horrific - almost like cat scratch on blackboard bad. At times i'd bang the center console and the voice would go back to perfect, however the last time it happened, well, it never went back to perfect.
    I brought it to the dealership and left it for the day, and they said nothing was wrong.
    After I complained, they had one of their techs come in the car with me and he agreed it didn't sound right.
    Today, I spoke with the service manager - he claims he had reached out to Kia engineering, and also checked the other souls on the lot, and they all sounded like this, it is a known software issue, and they are going to do a major software upgrade "at some point in the future" to add UVO, etc.
    I told him (respectfully) that while there may be software issues, I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing a hardware issue - either a loose connection, or something else.
    1) anyone else experience issues with the voice being unclear and the chime sounding awful?

Also, today the GPS lost it's fix on the road even though it showed a solid satellie signal (the compass needle was red) - it had me going through people's yards, and for 5 minuteds woudln't correct even after some turns. THAT I do believe is a software issue - just wondering if anyone else experienced.

i thought about complaining to kia corporate - i really do think the service manager was blowing me off - and i don't want to wait 3 months or however long for a software upgrade that i really think won't fix my issue.
    any thoughts appreciated - if i had more time i'd go there and demand to hear the gps on a different car to compare. thanks again for any responses.
    edited February 2013
    Went to a local dealer and checked out the 2013. Friendly salesman, low pressure, and could answer every question, I launched at him. Looking at the Base, the price is attractive at $15489 (US) with a 1.6L, 6 speed standard transmission, steel rims ( which I prefer), keyless lighted entry, power windows, bluetooth, and it did have the 6 speaker radio. The automatic was $2000 dollars higher and had a few more features like heated power mirrors. Went there looking for a standard, so that's what we took on the road. Salesman peeling the paper off the hood, we took it around the parking lot a few times, and proceeded on the road. The heater was pumping warm air in a couple minutes. Their were no air leaks from any of the door seals. ( cold climate). Surprised me in the amount of power the motor was giving us. Salesman said they had improved the fuel injection system as the Koreans are fast to act on prior low power complaints. The transmission shift was smooth and clutch linkage was very user friendly. The first gear was a little faster, than I expected. Handling was another pleasant surprise. Fairly tight on the turns, and recovered nicely on abrupt, sharp turn of the wheel. The electric steering was giving me enough road feel, and was comfortable from what I'm use to. I did noticed a few things on negitives. ( have a 30+ year mechanical back ground) The tires were 195 65R 15, and the treadwear rating was a mere 440, which is low, maybe 40,000 mile. The underneath of the uni body is already under coated, which I question about thickness of the metal, rust through. The channel rear main beam, which could hold salt and contamination rusting through in 5 years or less. The doors had to be shut harder, as the seals held them out. ( this could be a + as they might seal better) I also question some of the size of the wires, as the gauge look a little light.( remember a past Korean chevy, that had light wiring issues) All in all, the Soul did impress me. It was fun to drive. We were not able to make a deal this day, but wouldn't rule out future purchase.
  • banna_smithbanna_smith Member Posts: 1
    sounded great, thanks for sharing. I like the look of the Soul a lot, just need to pluck up the courage and go and test drive (I have had bad experiences with car buying)
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,948
    tested the auto tranny model last week and was quite impressed. Ingress/egress was great so I understand while many older folks purchase this rig. Comfortable seating with terrific vision all around it. Good brakes, responsive acceleration, dash layout was just o k and the switchgear was just mediocre but acceptable. Overall, I'd give this vehicle an 80 out of 100 score. Seemed a bit plain jane inside and other import interiors do a more commendable job. Might consider this as a possible next vehicle if they improve the interior and have an option for 16" tires...these seem to be a great compromise since 15" are just too small and 17" are way too big...16" is the sweet spot for great handling and road feel. Do this Kia and I'd look. Need to try the Sportage actually as it might be just what I'm looking for!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Bit puzzled on your comments, do you not realize that the model you tested is only the base model, you can upgrade the interior and also get 16" tires by moving up to the next model. Not sure which country your located but in the US it would be the + model and in Canada the 2u model.

Here's the 16" tires and rims:
    My salesguy was pretty lame actually...he knew i wasn't buying today so he showed minimal interest in me as a customer. He never even discussed different models which was foolish on his part. No brochure, no nothing. Stupid salesman really, as I'd never throw any business his way because of his attitude. He had no idea that maybe, just maybe I'd have a change of heart and want the Soul and return to buy it. Even when I was all over the red Rio in the showroom, he did nothing, not even ask if I wanted a brochure on that car. But I guess he knew I was not a ready buyer. But I wouldn't buy from his store anyways. Would go to the dealer across town. Did that with the Versa for the kid. These folks had our car but they wouldn't deal and asked the wife for a ridiculous price. Went across town, made the guy a fair offer, he accepted. We told him where this car was and he did a dealer trade. Two days later it's parked in our driveway, period. When I, we're ready to buy, we are ready. If one store won't deal, I find another that will. Has happened on the last couple of purchases. These same guys were price stupid when I bought my Civic. Went to a nearby dealer and did the deal. History repeated itself twice here.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

the 2014 model will be introduced at the New York Auto show on March 27th (press day)
    We'll after much consideration, bought a 2013 Base MT on March 1st. The hold out was my trade in, but they finally gave in; NOT. The vehicle is very fun to drive. It has put pleasure back into driving. On the 3rd tankfull of gas, averaging 28.7 MPG, around town, using the old fill up, mileage method. I'm very happy with that, considering Kia rating of 27 MPG. Didn't come with keyless entry, as previous mention. Dealer installed that to make the deal. Now I'm working on the fog- running light installation.
    edited March 2013
    just announced this morning at the NY Auto Show

- 2.4” wider opening of the lift gate
    - will be available in 7 new exterior hues including the two at NY Solar yellow and Inferno Red
    - ideas taken from the Track'ster – large trapezoidal lower air intake and fog light location and the and the “floating” body color panel inset into the lift gate and also lifting as many of the Track'ster's circular interior reference points as possible
    - liberal use of expansion foam thoroughly fills body cavities, reducing outside wind and road noise
    - reinforced isolation pad in the cargo area and poly-urethane-layered carpet helps reduce overall interior noise levels by approximately 3 decibels.
    - Built on a all-new chassis that is nearly 29% stiffer than before
    strengthening the body at key connection points along the cowl, upper and lower B-pillars, cross members and at the C-pillars
    - fully 66% of the chassis utilizes either Ultra High Strength Steel (35%) or high strength Steel (31%)
    - A-pillar is 0.8” narrower for improved outward visibility
    - application of structural adhesive around the door openings and along the roof also helps improve torsional rigidity
    - heavily revised front and rear suspension, the front sub-frame utilizes four bushings to reduce ride harshness and impact booms over rough pavement
    - the stabilizer bar has been moved rearward on the McPherson strut front suspension, while the steering box has been moved forward, lending better balance and subsequently improved handling and benefits to on-center feel
    - one-piece steering gear housing is stronger (current two piece), improving steering response and reducing impacts felt through the wheel
    - optional Flex Steer, allow the driver to select 3 distinct steering settings – comfort, normal and Sport
    - shocks on the rear torsion bar suspension have been turned vertically and lengthened allowing for more suspension travel and improving ride comfort
    - 2.0L NU power plant is updated with GDI technology
    - both engines have been tuned to provide more low-end torque (9% more torque at 1500 rpm on the 2.0L and 5% more on the 1.6L)
    These new pics look great and it seems the Soul is aging very nicely especially the nicer interior, a major improvement over the current model. Drove one the other night from West Palm to Miami airport and it was just o k...a bit loud but hopefully they have addressed that issue with the new 2014 model. The seat fabric was just o k and hopefully this will be addressed to. The whole vehicle needs to be updated so it is competitive with other vehicles in this econocar segment. I really like the higher roof line and bet Kia could sell so much more once they "mature" this vehicle and make it more mainstream so more will put it on their short lists. I definitely would if they put some more lux into it and smooth out the ride. They really should check our the Chrysler 200, yes, the Chrysler 200 to see how smooth a car can ride...this vehicle is a real sleeper as it does everything well. Sure it's very bland looking but it rides so nicely and everything in it just "works"!

Attention HOST: - why is my threads getting relocated to one main thread, just makes it that much harder to find anything when everything is group under one heading, doesn't happen on your other threads - why just on the Soul?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    We've never broken down a make/model by model years. This comes from long experience. For example, if someone is looking for information about tire and wheel issues with a certain model, we have no need for separate discussions for 2011, 2012, etc. when one general tire and wheel discussion will suffice. We wind up WAY too many discussions and it makes things much harder for users to wade through. It happens on all makes and models, not just here.

Your pics of the 2014 are great, but certainly belong as part of the the general Kia Soul discussion. The Soul group is relatively new and hasn't developed a lot of issue/problem discussions yet, but I'm certain it will.
    not really a fair comparison when you consider the size of the 200, with a 8" longer wheelbase and 28" longer overall length and 600-800 lbs heavier, I think the ride would be different. (wonder how the ride on the 200 compares to the Optima, which is the more comparable model in the KIA lineup)
    But it will be interesting to see the improvements in this regard when the model arrives at dealerships - I will be test driving one to see how it compare to my 2012 model :)

• desidondesidon Member Posts: 29
    Any idea?
    latest is third quarter, which can be from July to September. As of the end of May it does not appear the 2014 has gone into production (based on production figures), June figures will not be available till mid-July, once it goes into production is usually takes from 6-8 weeks before you will see them at dealerships, depending, of course where in North America you are located.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    at the Kia Soul. 6-speed manual tranny and tha Molten color. White stripe from front down the back, too? Just lookin', of course. ;)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick