Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Soul

Comments

• barryk2barryk2 Posts: 6
    I didn't think this site was to be used to sell a product...especially a non-auto one!
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,808
    Got it. Thanks for catching that. Always helps to have extra eyes. :)

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• 2010 Kia Soul Exclaim, bought in November 2009. Now has 40,000 miles. Average MPG is 25 MPG on trips and 23 MPG around town. Times back to dealer for problems, NONE. Oil Change every 3000 miles. Preferred vehicle to take on trips from Atlanta to Memphis. Comfort factor is adequate. Other vehicle is Honda Pilot that sits in garage quite a bit because of low MPG compared to Soul. My experience so far. Would I buy another, YES, only now I am on fixed income and intend to keep this one as long as it keeps going. :)
  • rennie4rennie4 Posts: 52
    Pleas guys i need your help. I have a 2012 Kia Soul. Last month my air conditioning, windshield wipers and cooling fan stopped working. I took the car to kia but they could not duplicate the problem. They checked all the fuses and said everything was ok. a month later it happened again and none of those things work again. my local dealer will not give me a loaner and corporate kia is giving me the run around and is not giving me the treatment i think i deserve. Anyone has any idea what could be the cause of this?
  • I wanted to just look at a Kia Soul !. Stopped at my local dealer, Napelton, in West Palm Beach. They have zero Souls in stock. Salesman says he has a list of potential customers that want to look at a Soul !. What gives with this is this true. Also does anyone have any ideas of changes might be on the 2013 Kia Soul. Are Kia Souls that popular.
    P.S. Recently drove the 2013 Elantra GT. Nice car with lots of bells and whistles, but sort of unexciting to drive. I am 70 and just want fun car for my old age. Think a Soul ! might be what would do the trick.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Ontario, CanadaPosts: 600
    its quite possible due to the very high demand in the US with supply having trouble meeting it. Sales for 2011 were up 52% over 2010 and for the first six months of this year the sales are up 15%. There is only one factory that supplies the rest of the world other than China.

not much changes for 2013 as it had a major makeover for 2012. Here is the changes:

Revised KIA badge on hood, lift gate and steering wheel
    Dark chrome accent ring around grille
    Bluetooth with steering-wheel mounted audio controls standard on Base manual transmission model
    Power folding outside mirrors standard for Exclaim
    Clear White exterior color available for Exclaim !
    Dune exterior color available for Plus + (now offered on all trim levels)
    Molten, Titanium and Moss available for Base (now offered on all trim levels)

I'm 68 and like the ease of entry and exit, here's my wheels - 2012 4u

US changes for 2013 (as it received an extensive makeover for 2012 very little changes for 2013)

- Revised KIA badge on hood, lift gate and steering wheel
    - Dark chrome accent ring around grille
    - Bluetooth with steering-wheel mounted audio controls standard on Base manual transmission model
    - Power folding outside mirrors standard for Exclaim
    - Clear White exterior color available for Exclaim !
    - Dune exterior color available for Plus + (now offered on all trim levels)
    - Molten, Titanium and Moss available for Base (now offered on all trim levels)

what's new for Canadian 2013 Souls:

- cruise control added to 2u manual transmission
    - electric folding sideview mirrors added to 4u Luxury
    - upgraded leather for leather wrapped steering wheel
    - 1.6L ECO trim deleted (it never made it to market)
    - 2.0L 2u ECO trim added
    - Retro and Burner 4u models deleted
    1.6L MT - $16,795
    1.6L AT - $19,195

2.0L 2u MT - $19,195
    2.0L 2u AT - $20,395
    2.0L 2u ECO AT - $29,995

2.0L 4u AT - $22,895
    2.0L 4u Luxury AT - $25,595
  • Nice wheels, I am even more interested in the Soul. I think I will wait for the 2013 Exclaim. Thanks for your response. One other thing. Edmunds says the car has a lot of road noise. What do you think?
    that's something you have to judge for yourself. It would all depend on what you are used to or comparing it too. The 2012 models are more quieter than the 2011 models as this was one of the areas that they made improvements too.
    I suppose it always could be quieter (you could do more soundproofing yourself as some people have done).

I owned a 2008 Rondo prior to my Soul and at freeway speeds find it quieter than that vehicle. I find at 110 kmph I don't have to increase the volume on my UVO system or raise my voice to talk to my wife and it certainly has plenty of power at that speed for passing big rigs for example. The hp rating on the 2.0L Soul was the same as the 2.4L on my Rondo.

Keep in mind it is a hatchback which always tend to be a little more noisier than a sedan.
  • zureidazureida Posts: 1
    I got a Kia Soul on April 2nd. on April 3rd I was back on the dealer for service. Today, after 4 months with my car I've been in the customer service 5 times and problem is still the same. I need to move side to side the steering wheel constantly to drive right. Alignaments (3 and goes for the 4th) does not solve the situation and the car goes to the sides constantly. I saw this same problem in other review posted on this forum. Seems like this is a defect Kia hasn't corrected. Also seats are veeery noisy. Back seat was corrected and now front seat has the same frustrating situation. Anyone else had notice the wheel steering problem?
    find you description a bit confusing "I need to move side to side the steering wheel constantly to drive right" is the vehicle pulling to the left or the right?

It maybe an adjustment but its not a defect, I've no problem with mine and also no problem with the seats. What exactly do you mean by very noisy - squeak, rattle or ?

I haven't notice much problems in the alignment area on other forums, the odd one has had an alignment and then its solved. Also the odd squeaky seat but usually its usually just loosing the base bolts and re-tightening which solved most of them. It certainly hasn't been an epidemic with these two problems, but sorry you are encountering it.
    edited September 2012
    the Gwangju Plant - 251 acres, building area - 4,718,809 sq. ft. They also build the Rondo and Sportage as well as truck, buses, military vehicles, engine blocks and heads.

• If it happen again (3rd. time), before you take your car to the dealer, email or send certified/return receipt mail to KIA, not the dealer. Keep that receipt in case you need to have that later.
    By the law (lemon law) if the dealer could not fixed your car 3 times in 1 year with same problem, Kia have to buy your car back or they replace with new car for you.
    Remember, let Kia know if it happen again at the 3rd. times.
  • I am interested in this car but no dealer seems to have one in their inventory. What gives, is it so popular that no one seems to have one to show me?
    basically yes, the plant is struggling to meet the demand in the US (not sure if that's where you are located), in fact they took 25% of Canada's production to help with this and here in Canada it is very difficult to get one too.

To give you some idea for the US in 2009 they sold 31,621 units; 2010 67,110 (so double); in 2011 sold 102,267 and now this year to the end of September and still three months to go they have sold 93,356.
    Now as a manufacturer if you base production of previous years sales and add a projecting increase for the following year and then it takes off it leaves you in a tough position to meet that massive of an increase. There is only so much capacity at the plant, however, at this moment the plant that I showed the picture of above is currently being expanded to have the capacity to increase production by 120,000 units annually, but keep in mind the Soul is not the only vehicle built at this plant. It will be a big help in the near future but it doesn't happen overnight. Manufacturers try to have at least a 50 day capacity to stay ahead, for the Soul its probably less than half that.

This may not help your current situation, but KIA is well aware of the problem. You may have to increase your search to cover a larger area or be patient for a dealer to locate your specific model you want. Which model are you interested in?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    A reporter would like to speak to Hyundai and Kia owners who agree or disagree with the latest controversy over MPG. If you own a Hyundai or a Kia and would like to speak to a reporter about your experience with your car's fuel economy, please send your daytime and evening contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 8 a.m. PT/11 a.m. ET.
  • I just bought a used 2012 soul plus with 7,200 miles. When I got it home I can not find a way to get at the spare tire, does it have one? I read in the book something about a unit to inflate the tire if it goes flat? There is no tab in the rear to lift up any thing to look and see what is in the wheel well?? Price paid $15,000 plus tax and title. This does have the auto transmission.
    a compact spare in not standard in the US Soul Plus, it comes with the mobile inflator kit. There is a string tab on the rear edge to lift up the cover (unless it was broken off by the prior owner), check out this photos as you will see it and will also see the cargo organizer that sits below that cover (this is a Canadian model but its similar to the US Plus model)

• Thanks, the picture was great, I guess I could go to salvage yard for a spare, I have not looked under yet, been sick. Tomorrow I will check it out, I was surprised to find out I had a rear view camera. Does the UFO radio have a GPS?