Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Subaru Forester Changes

Comments

• red927red927 Posts: 118
    I have the factory cargo cover and there is an additional piece of material that can be pulled out from the unit and covers the space between the back seat and the brackets.

Phil
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    I have a 2001 Forester with the pop-out cup holder. Funny, I recall that one of the biggest, most often repeated gripes about that car when I was reading customer reviews on-line before I bought mine, was the cup holder! I've come to appreciate mine in the 8 years I've owned it. I feel it positions your beverage much more conveniently than the ones in the center console of my wife's '03 Outback. Plus, you can close it back into the dash when you're not using it.

Len
  • eps105eps105 Posts: 216
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned (or realized) that the 2009 Forester has bulges in the molded map pockets of both the driver's and passenger's side that hold a soda can-sized cup. So technically, the Forester has 4 cup holders in the front.

Elliot
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Good point, though we have other stuff there so it's rarely available.

The real issue here is the cabin is compact (read: narrow), so there's not a wide center console for the arm rest or cup holders, or anything like that.
  • Moonroofs are a problem for me too. I recently sat in a moonroof equipped vehicle and I clear it by the thickness of a finger. I'm 5'11'', but tall in the torso. When I sat in a non-moonroof equipped vehicle, I could place my fist between the top of my head and the headliner.

Needless to say, due to the idiots packaging these vehicles, I constantly find myself in a base model instead of the $30,000 model I'd like to be in.
  • imm19imm19 Posts: 12
    I agree with your point - the second cup holder is full with pens, sticky notes, etc:)
    Nice touch can be a cell phone holder - doesn't need to be something fancy, just functional.
  • mlcumlcu Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the Telescoping Steering Wheel will be offered on non-XT Foresters in 2010? Right now it is only offered on XT & XT Limited models.
  • zeczec Posts: 2
    Replying to oregonboy, I too want a manual trans. Some of the magazines don't like the manual shifter in Subies. One of the few gripes about the 2009 Forester, it seems. I recall one editor suggesting the short throw shifter option, but that wasn't for the Forester, maybe the WRX. I guess the expectation to match Honda manual shifters might be too much. I drive a 2005 Scion xB manual and the shifter in not great, just OK. Any thoughts on the Subaru short throw option helping the feel of the shifter?
    Thanks, Zec
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,674
    I don't understand what the complaint is with the manual shifter. I have absolutely no complaints with the shifter on my '09 WRX. It's the standard shifter, not the short-throw unit. I'm pretty certain that the Forester an Impreza use the same unit.

My recommendation is to go drive a 5-speed Forester, then make up your own mind.

Bob
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 303
    The cell phone holder is a $6 add on that you can buy at the dealer. It mounts under the arm rest. And also can be for your MP3 player, etc.
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 303
    I have the MT and have no concerns about the shifter. It is a shorter throw than my previous car. Either way, no big deal. It works.
  • gmginsfogmginsfo San Diego, CAPosts: 113
    I'm definitely going to trade in my '03 Forester XS Premi for a new car by the end of this year, before the tax credit expires, and am leaning towards sticking with the Forester. BUT, I would like to see a better tranny, more horses, if not an H-6 or a truly clean Diesel, a MUCH quieter interior, and yes, sun visors that slide back when swung alongside the side windows in order to block the sun where it too often shines.

And, don't be too tough on us nascent geezers, you young-uns. As we age, our vision and reaction time do diminish, and what might seem superfluous or dotty to a 20-something can be awfully nice, safe, and convenient to someone older, who like me at 56, is just starting to appreciate why all those laws and safety features for "seniors" were enacted in the first place. But, if you see that deadly combination of FL plates and a blue disability sticker ahead of you blocking the fast lane, don't hesitate to flash your lights and tell him or her to get outta the way! :P
    Heck, you're not so old. I'm 64 and drive a new '09 WRX. :)

As to changes on the 2010 Forester, don't expect much, as it was just redesigned. The 2010 Legacy will be getting an auto-up driver's window (plus a complete redesign), so would expect other 2010 Subies to also get an auto-up driver's window. That's the kind of minor upgrades you're likely to see for 2010.

Bob
  • The salesman tells me "the seat was purposefully set low for safety concerns"

yes... because as in most other vehicles with normally positioned passenger seats, there has been a rash of people falling out of open windows.

Salesman are trained to say anything.
  • occkingoccking Posts: 346
    I was told exactly the same story. I guess it does make sense. My wife 5' and really has no problem seeing the world through the front and side windows.
    I think they mean the door protects better than the window in side impacts.

Still, they crash test on the driver's side, and it goes much higher than the passenger seat, which is the low one.
    I would appreciate having Auto On/Off Headlights. With all my traveling through Hampton Roads tunnels that can be helpful. I had this on my 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara and it was working just fine.
  • dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,464
    They are auto on/off. Auto on/off with the key. :)

My Outback is 6.5 years old and I personally have probably only turned the lights off 3 times. I just leave them on all the time.
    This is a little bit different IMHO :)
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    I have a 2006 xB with manual, and installed aTRD short-throw shifter in it. I have also driven a couple of 2007-8 Foresters with manual.

The short shifter lasted one day in the xB. I expected it to shorten the throw, but I did not expect it to make the shifting so quick and hard to do, almost like throwing a circuit breaker. It felt bad to me and was hard on the synchros. I much prefer the stock shifter for smooth easy shifting, and the xB throw is not objectionably long.

The shifter in the manual Foresters does have a longer throw and covers a lot of distance. But if a short shifter made the throw as fast and hard as in the xB, I would stay with the stock shifter. I think factory engineers know best when they design these shifters.
    You trade some leverage for that shorter throw.

It's all about preference.
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    They are auto on/off. Auto on/off with the key

I too just leave the lights on all the time. The DRLs are going to be on anyway so why not just leave the lights on? Plus they make you safer. Besides, my other car has auto-on lights so by leaving the lights on with the Forester, I don't have to worry about remembering to turn any lights on or off ;)

-Frank
    So you're the one driving around in that rental car with the lights off... :D
  • 204meca204meca Posts: 366
    I recently emailed Subaru to inform them of my hesitancy to purchase a new Forester because of the 4 speed automatic saying I was holding off until they equip the Forester with either a 5 spd AT or CVT. See the response below.

If you are serious about changes let Subaru of America know at mysubaru.com (you will have to register to do that) or at CustDlrServices@subaru.com

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Subaru of America, Inc. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.
    At this time we have not been made aware of specifically what the 2010 Forester updates will be. Full specification information on the 2010 Forester will be offered in early summer.
    We do appreciate that you brought this interest to our attention. I will pass on your comments regarding your preference for a 5 speed automatic transmission vehicle to Product Planning to consider when developing future models.
    If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

Best wishes,
    Kerry Ann Miller
    Subaru of America, Inc.
    Customer/Dealer Services Department
  • zeczec Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info on the short throw shifter. I was not tempted to replace the OEM shifter on my xB, and I'm glad now. Sounds like the standard shihter on the Forester is fine.

zec
  • poolviewpoolview Posts: 1
    2010 Forester Premium (with moon roof)
    I'm 6'2” with a 32” inseam. Most of my height is from the waist up.

It feels good to sit in a car (or SUV) where I don't need to duck down to look up and see traffic lights.I have about 2 fingers between the top of my head and the roof, which is approximately 1 and ¼ inches.

I started my car search with “Cars for tall people” on Google. The Subaru Forester was 1 of 10 vehicles that were recommended.

I took a test drive with the 2010 Forester Premium MT and purchased it.
    I also purchased 9 bolt on accessories, about ½ are installed and the rest are riding around in the back waiting to be installed.

wohoo Driving is fun again!
    Congrats.

My sister is dating a big/tall guy and he has enough headroom in her 03 Forester. He's huge, about 6'6" I'm guessing.
  • vrmvrm Posts: 303
    Are there any material changes to the 2010 2.5X Limited trim?
    Has Subaru added any functionality? Thanks.
    If you get navigation, Bluetooth is now part of that option package. The Bluetooth mic is now on the ceiling by the map lights. The instruments now get white needles. Really minor stuff.

Bob
  • dholtedholte Posts: 4
    I currently own a 2008 outback and recently drove a 2009 Forester Limited and was impressed. I went to purchase and was told I could no longer get a 2009. Waited for the 2010 to come in the following week and was disappointed in the changes. I was unable to compare side by side but it seemed as if the interior quality of the leather has decreased with the 2010 model. Has anyone else noticed a difference in the leather between the 2009 and 2010?
This discussion has been closed.