Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 Subaru Forester Changes

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    I don't have a problem with making a backup camera a stand-alone option. Just don't force me to get one as part of a popular option bundle.

That is my stance as well, after reading the arguments presented by Bob and Mike. Along this line, I noticed just two days ago that my local Sam's Club is selling backup camera systems. I was in a hurry so I did not inspect them, but I wonder how well they would do in terms of integrating with the vehicle versus being a bulky, strap-on gadget.

My father's past few motorhomes have had backup cameras, and they were barely noticeable - tucked away into the body. The cameras are really nice on those beasts (~40'), but I have parallel-parked the 36' motorhome he once had that did not have a backup camera. I had about 12" of clearance on each end. :shades:
  • boba6boba6 Posts: 18
    I must sit upright or have a long torso or something, or maybe just want more room, because I've heard the same sort of thing from other 6'4" types about other cars. But, at 6'2", seated to drive, wearing a baseball cap flush on my head, (head gets cold these days), it rubs, even without any real bump. Even without a cap, I can't pass my hand over my head.
    Bob
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/30/check-your-rear-nhtsa-compiles-backup-death-s- - tatistics/

Like them or not, they save lives. I expect to see greater use of this technology in the future, maybe (oh horrors!) even government mandated.

Bob (playing devil's advocate)
  • p0926p0926 Posts: 4,423
    Okay but just think how many lives could be saved by not driving at all! :P

-Frank (also playing devil's advocate)
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,269
    Here, here!

I suspect that very few lives, in fact, would be saved. Why? Because it is not enough for the technology to be there, it has to be used. The primary reason for these deaths cited is likely due to inattention of the driver, not the fact that the driver could not see the ground immediately behind the rear bumper.

Again, though, if people feel it is helpful, by all means they should add it to their cars - at least it would mean that they would likely use the device. I am playing "better driving and more attention to it" advocate. :P
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Very minor things, really:

* raise the passenger seat an inch or two
    * ROUND cup holders, cups are not square!

That's my list.

For models with a GPS they should include a backup cam only because at retail they cost $99, so it can't possibly cost much to add that, and it would help justify the steep option price for the GPS better.
  • billwvbillwv Posts: 48
    The square cup holders can be used for things other than cups, and also do a good job with cups -- that is a plus as far as I am concerned -- I admit, however, I very rarely use them for cups.

The passenger seat definitely needs a height adjustment.

Bill
  • Bob go and sit in one with a moonroof. I feel you will be comfortable in the new Forester. If you don't fit you must be 7 feet tall. My 6'9" friend is very comfortable in my Forester. His head doesn't touch the roof. As far as your coffee concerns, my travel mug sits just fine with me in the morning. If you are still using a paper cup. My coffee house fills my travel cup for me and gives me a discount for not using their paper cup. My cargo cover covers the entire cargo area.
    I 'm not sure how high you would like to cover, but maybe darker window tint would be a solution?
    Buy the bumper cover online and install it yourself. It just has double stick adhesive on the back.
    Good Luck.
    All your accessories can be ordered online.
    You nailed it - you end up using the cup holders for other things.

My wife puts tissues on the back half and pens and other miscellaneous stuff in the front.

How 'bout one that pops out of the dash, then?

My 1998 Forester had more storage space than the 2009s. Just one cup holder, but the 2000 models got a dual and it was interchangeable, so I swapped it out for one of those.
  • boba6boba6 Posts: 18
    I have sat in the 2009 Forester with a moonroof; that was the basis for my earlier statement, and like I said, 6'2".

As told by the salesman, the cargo cover gets installed in the brackets which sit 4-6 behind the rear seatbacks; I want those 4-6 inches covered. He said they would be if the seatbacks were reclined, but again, that's packaged with a moonroof.

The coffee cup thing isn't a big deal. But it would be nice to know I can run into a convenience store, get a cup to stay awake on the road, and not have to worry that I didn't bring my commuter cup. The pops-out-of-the-dash one in my 2002 is great.

Bob
  • red927red927 Posts: 118
    I have the factory cargo cover and there is an additional piece of material that can be pulled out from the unit and covers the space between the back seat and the brackets.

Phil
  • leo2633leo2633 Posts: 589
    I have a 2001 Forester with the pop-out cup holder. Funny, I recall that one of the biggest, most often repeated gripes about that car when I was reading customer reviews on-line before I bought mine, was the cup holder! I've come to appreciate mine in the 8 years I've owned it. I feel it positions your beverage much more conveniently than the ones in the center console of my wife's '03 Outback. Plus, you can close it back into the dash when you're not using it.

Len
  • eps105eps105 Posts: 216
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned (or realized) that the 2009 Forester has bulges in the molded map pockets of both the driver's and passenger's side that hold a soda can-sized cup. So technically, the Forester has 4 cup holders in the front.

Elliot
    Good point, though we have other stuff there so it's rarely available.

The real issue here is the cabin is compact (read: narrow), so there's not a wide center console for the arm rest or cup holders, or anything like that.
  • Moonroofs are a problem for me too. I recently sat in a moonroof equipped vehicle and I clear it by the thickness of a finger. I'm 5'11'', but tall in the torso. When I sat in a non-moonroof equipped vehicle, I could place my fist between the top of my head and the headliner.

Needless to say, due to the idiots packaging these vehicles, I constantly find myself in a base model instead of the $30,000 model I'd like to be in.
  • imm19imm19 Posts: 12
    I agree with your point - the second cup holder is full with pens, sticky notes, etc:)
    Nice touch can be a cell phone holder - doesn't need to be something fancy, just functional.
  • mlcumlcu Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the Telescoping Steering Wheel will be offered on non-XT Foresters in 2010? Right now it is only offered on XT & XT Limited models.
  • zeczec Posts: 2
    Replying to oregonboy, I too want a manual trans. Some of the magazines don't like the manual shifter in Subies. One of the few gripes about the 2009 Forester, it seems. I recall one editor suggesting the short throw shifter option, but that wasn't for the Forester, maybe the WRX. I guess the expectation to match Honda manual shifters might be too much. I drive a 2005 Scion xB manual and the shifter in not great, just OK. Any thoughts on the Subaru short throw option helping the feel of the shifter?
    Thanks, Zec
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,657
    I don't understand what the complaint is with the manual shifter. I have absolutely no complaints with the shifter on my '09 WRX. It's the standard shifter, not the short-throw unit. I'm pretty certain that the Forester an Impreza use the same unit.

My recommendation is to go drive a 5-speed Forester, then make up your own mind.

Bob
  • sgloonsgloon Posts: 303
    The cell phone holder is a $6 add on that you can buy at the dealer. It mounts under the arm rest. And also can be for your MP3 player, etc.