Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

LS not running smooth at constant speed

logilslogils Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Lincoln
I have an 2004 LS with a 3.0L V6 and 89K mi. The car has a skip around 50 mph for the last 50k mi. I have had all the coils and plugs replaced and recently one cat. The car now has a pulsating feel at constant speed. It is most noticable while in cruise control.

Comments

• Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I know if the coils are going bad you'll feel that skip at around 50. Maybe one of the new one's are bad? My '05 V6 does the same thing-only at around 50 MPH.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    battleaxbattleax Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same problem with my V6. Dealer changed out first #'s 5 & 6 cylinder coils & plugs in Sept. Then last week cylinders 1,2,3 & 4. It was costly. this BETTER fix the problem.
  • Options
    toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I feel it only about once a day, usually on the same spot on the same road. :confuse:

It's just a minor annoyance now, I hope to make it to summer and if it gets worse I'm going to replace all six coils, plugs, and the pcv while I have the manifold off.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • Options
    lsmummylsmummy Member Posts: 3
    Unfortunately guys, I have had everything replaced, and this still happens. The mechanics told me that it is a flaw in the LS engine. I love this car, but it is very high maintenance. Now I am having the overheating problem.
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I don't know of any "flaws" with the LS engine per se. Some of the components have issues (cops, hydraulic fan) but those can be fixed.
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess flaw is the wrong word, but the guy I talk to from Lincoln told me that this specific problem with the valve covers leaking is VERY common. Like I said, I have a love/hate relationship with this car. I have done and have had a lot of work done to it.
  • Options
    Yes, the valve cover gaskets and cops are a known problem. I thought you were talking about some fatal flaw that couldn't be fixed.
  • Options
    No, but it feels that way when I had everything replaced and it is happening again. Is there possibly something else causing it again?
  • Options
    If they're leaking again then either they weren't actually repaired the first time or the repair was done incorrectly. The problem was with the original gasket - not the engine itself. Once repaired properly it shouldn't return.
This discussion has been closed.